• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No girly-men allowed: Official Contra 4 shut-up-and-shoot Thread

Vrolokus

Banned
Goddammit, I knew I should have preordered this. My local Gamecrazy got all of ONE copy in, earmarked for a preordering customer.

Heading to Best Buy tomorrow... the hunt is on, friendo.

Man this game is pretty hard. I got to the 4th level boss on normal before he pounded me to death. No girly-men allowed indeed.

The game really is very nice looking. Kinda like the very first time you saw SotN, except now it's Contra(And without the cut and paste sprites).

Also are there any differences between the 4 selectable characters? I refuse to pick anyone but Bill Rizer till I've completed this.

Plissken

Picked this up on lunch today, been sneaking in games when I can at work. So far the first level is kicking my ass, I get to the part with the machine on the second screen dropping bombs on the lower screen (wiping out the floor) and die, a lot.

The museum is a little lacking, but since it's just one of many extras I don't mind too much. Interesting to find out that Super C was so named to avoid any connection to the Iran-Contra scandal :lol

robot

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Man I suck at this game...

Same here - I tried it out for a few minutes and couldn't get past the first stage :lol

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME CONTRA!

RedBoot

I recommend playing this on Easy first. Sure, it's a bit shameful, and won't cause you to instantly grow a beard like when you beat it on Normal or Hard, but it does get you used to the game. Plus, it unlocks
Challenge Mode
, which is not only fun but helps you to prepare for Normal and Hard. Plus, when you
beat four of the challenges you unlock NES Contra.

Anyway, I beat it on Easy and it's pretty damn fun. I still can't help but think I'd be better at the game if I could use an SNES controller instead of a DS though.

This game is so goddamn good. I can feel the chest hair growing as i play. I shall use that as an excuse why i cannot beat level 2, its distracting me.

pancakesandsex said:
This game is so goddamn good. I can feel the chest hair growing as i play. I shall use that as an excuse why i cannot beat level 2, its distracting me.
They should release it in Japan as "Chest Hair Training". It'll sell millions!

robot

Made it to the Harbor on Easy - sure it sucked that I had to tuck my junk between my legs, but getting through some of these stages on Normal/Hard is gonna be craaaaazy without practice.

I'm probably going to play it on easy first too, if Toys R Us ever friggin' gets it in. Easy should be a nice warm up for normal and I want to unlock the NES games as soon as possible.

So those of you who have it, harder or easier than Contra III?

You guys don't have to play on easy. In actuality, in order to play decently it's another kind of thinking.

1) Don't go too fast. The concept of run n' gun and grow more testicle hair than any man seems appealing, but the best way to go is observe your screen, then quickly scan the top screen -- > then move foward (and or upward if we're talking abou the waterfall stage).

As for the 1st level. The hardest part is probably the tram that shoots downward.

Right before that section, there is a power-up that is below any platforms. What you do is shoot it, hop-down (down + jump button) collect it, and then immediatly press X (or whatever grapple is) to save yourself and grapple up.

Using this, destroying the tram shouldn' be so hard.

And as for the second level, just stay on the roof.

Though I need some help.

The boss at the top of the waterfall, I cleared him, but I lose a few lives on normal.

Is there a special way to defend against his tail attack that comes from the sides? The only method I know is to quickly run to the extreme end of the screen, but you literally have only a few seconds of reaction for that.

RedBoot

C- Warrior said:
Is there a special way to defend against his tail attack that comes from the sides? The only method I know is to quickly run to the extreme end of the screen, but you literally have only a few seconds of reaction for that.

Basically, you want to be on the opposite part of the screen from his tail, and you need to time your jump so that you'll be on the opposite end and in the air when he strikes. The timing is short and tough, and it's definitely the hardest part of the boss.

Anyway, here's what I've unlocked so far:
Beat the game on Easy (or presumably any difficulty): Challenge Mode
Beat 4 Challenge Missions: NES Contra
Beat 8 Challenge Missions: NES Super C
Beat 12 Challenge Missions: Probotector character
Beat 16 Challenge Missions: Interview with Nobuya Nakazato (While it's a very well-done and interesting interview, man, was I ever pissed that it wasn't another character).

In addition,
Challenge Mode starts with 5 missions and you get a new one each time you beat one, so you'll always have 5 incomplete missions available (until you beat them all). There's 40 in all. It stands to reason that something gets unlocked every 4 missions. So I have six things left, presumably the 4 remaining characters and the 2 comics. Dunno how long that'll take me though, I'm pretty stuck on the missions I have available now.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
To everyone who got this game: BEAT THE GAME ON EASY FIRST.

You'll unlock something that will help hone your skills for normal mode

So, because I'm playing this game on normal, I felt like my dick-hair was coming off.

So I opted to put it on hard.

And let's just say I'd like to apologies to Contra, I shall not be so stupid next time. Maybe I should beat the game first on normal before attempting this.

But holy fuck does this game make Devil May Cry 3 and Ninja Gaiden look like some wii-fit inspired casual crap.

PS: When you put the game on hard mode -- the music changes :)

Well, as far as the first level goes since I couldn't get passed it. Try it!

thefro

Got to play a little bit of this last night. They really nailed it. Parts of this game will really kick your ass the first time through even on Easy. Music is awesome. I love that they made a lot of the weapons sort of semi-automatic (you'll fire automatically if you hold it down, but if you pound on it you'll fire even faster).

Apparently the Konami Code upgrades your weapons if you pause the game and put it in (i.e. Level 1 Spread goes to Level 2). However if you get greedy and put it in again
you explode and die
:lol

I think this is probably the best game in the series so far.

levious said:
might be an altered contra code, like what they did with Shattered Soldier.

gradius 3 altered the code as well. if you put it in regular, it auto kills you! you had to use the snes shoulder buttons, L and R rather than left and right on the dpad, and it would give you each of your chosen weapons

bgudna

hahah this game will make your blood boil! I love it!

It´s just like it was in the old days, playing a game until you were screaming and the controller cracking in your palms :D

p.s. Contra Code? anyone?

*edit: Oops, already mentioned..

AGFlamey

Awesome news about the code.

Is there a DS version of the Action Replay? I bought one for the SNES about 10 minutes after I bought the SNES Contra game
released under its correct name, Super Probotector

Hello folks, I have crafted a review.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=676

But enough about the pain side of this masochistic endeavor. What about the pleasure? If you're the type of hard-bitten gamer who has read this review thus far and, rather than being scared away, has responded by growling "Fuck yeah" through clenched teeth while a demented gleam sparkles in your eye, you know the sense of achievement that comes with conquering a game like this.

This is the kind of achievement born of an earlier age--the kind of achievement that distinguishes you as a certified gaming badass, not the kind of achievement that says you collected a hundred dolls and gives you fifty points on the internet.
Contra 4 makes me glad our publication does not use a score-based review system. The game is utterly confident and successful in what it is trying to be, but it is difficult to judge what it is trying to be on a standardized scale. Some will criticize Contra 4 for relying so heavily on what would term as outdated game design concepts. Certainly, within the context of viewing game design as a linear progression, which is the framework in which many reviewers and gamers perceive the industry, Contra 4 is something of a relic.
So what about Easy Mode? When you start Easy Mode, you'll probably initially find it to be a cakewalk, with its plentiful lives and continues and its powerups that are immediately absurdly powerful, even if the last two levels aren't actually available on that difficulty. Once you're fighting bosses and playing levels a bit further in, the horror--and potential depression--will start to sink in as you realize that this is still not actually "easy" in the context of video games as a whole. "Easy" in the context of Contra 4 is relative. Like Burger King, they should just skip that part and call the lowest one "medium."

AGFlamey

Not having played the game yet, my review just has one line:

Overall rating: Contra / 10

How much is it retailing for, anyways?

loosus said:
Yeesh. I think I'm gonna skip this one. But at least it looks like they've gotten the Contra feel downpat. :p
We should update the OP with a list.

"Casualties incurred thus far:

1) loosus"

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Only played a little bit (died on the second boss and then shelved it for the evening), but what I've played was damn good. Nice animation on the sprites, cool backgrounds. The dual screen split problem hasn't really come up for me, it's just that it's taking me a bit of time to get used to quickly scanning through both screens to process everything going on, it makes the game require even more concentration than the classic Contras. I am happy they moved away from the stark memorization of Shattered Soldier and back to reflex-based gaming. And the nods to the original games in the music is excellent too. My only problem is that so far, the grappling hook seems a bit superfluous and unnecessary, but maybe that will change in later levels. Kudos, WayForward... you've managed to outdo the Japanese at their own game, as this is quite possibly my favorite contra since the legendary Alien Wars.

GrayFoxPL

C- Warrior said:
So, because I'm playing this game on normal, I felt like my dick-hair was coming off.

And let's just say I'd like to apologies to Contra, I shall not be so stupid next time. Maybe I should beat the game first on normal before attempting this.

But holy fuck does this game make Devil May Cry 3 and Ninja Gaiden look like some wii-fit inspired casual crap.

Well, as far as the first level goes since I couldn't get passed it. Try it!

:lol

This thread is full of gold.

Damn I must get me a DS now. I love Contra with manly-love love.

What's the control config? How's diagonal shooting?

Do you have to use stylus somehow?

Davidion

C- Warrior said:

Well, as far as the first level goes since I couldn't get passed it.
Try it!

Holy shit, THAT good?!

Must buy NOW. :lol :lol

I love everything about this game

..except the actual game. There's something wrong with the hit detection and how the enemies react to getting shot/killed. The game sucks. I hate it.

GrayFoxPL

Pureauthor said:
Press 'R' to root yourself to the ground and shoot diagonally.

No unnecessary stylus crud here. Just good ol' D-pad and button action. COME GET SOME!

Yesh, yesh!

Sean Connery aprooves!

ConneryPreBond.jpg

Picked up this game last nite and loving every minute of it. This game is hard as hell. I feel like Chuck Norris and Micheal Dudikoff will show up on my doorstep to give me a high five if I ever beat this friggin game. I think I need to work my biceps a bit more as well.....

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Awesome game, based on the 4 or so levels I've managed to play. Normal kicked my ass too hard, so I restarted on easy, and my ass is being kicked more gently.

Positives:
* The challenge. It's not too memorization-heavy, and more based on general skill (training your reflexes, using weapons appropriately, moving in the right way, etc.)
* The graphics, music, and extras.
* The level and boss design. There's a good deal of interesting variety.

Negatives:
* The controls--not Contra 4's fault, but the DS's. What it boils down to is that I can't always move my character the way I want to. Diagonal shooting is especially annoying at times.
* The gap in between the two screens. It's not a crippling flaw, but it's irritating. Whatever the developers did to make it work wasn't quite enough.
* A few opportunities for cheap deaths. For example, when riding a moving platform in the vertical-scrolling levels, if the platform goes below the bottom of the screen, you die. This is just old-school convention to some degree, but it's a convention that should have been dropped, somehow.

So far, though, it's probably my favourite Contra besides Hard Corps.

So I'm hearing the game doesn't have the option to lock your firing direction and keep moving like in Shattered Soldier? Just the option to hold yourself in place and fire in any of the 8 directions? I'm not liking that :(

JSnake

Am I too weaksauce for this game? I just ordered it, but am I wasting my money? For reference, I've never completed the original Super Mario Bros. And I have tried.

Median

Damn you Amazon.ca, get it in stock. I'd run out to a store and pick it up but I want to get the Perry Bible Fellowship book and there's no way in hell I'm paying $6 for shipping when I live about 20 minutes from their warehouse. So, I figured I'd throw Contra in the cart, get free shipping, grow a beard. It's all good as long as the Contra and the beard come through soon.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JSnake said:
Am I too weaksauce for this game? I just ordered it, but am I wasting my money? For reference, I've never completed the original Super Mario Bros. And I have tried.

Yes. SMB is a cakewalk. 8-3 is pretty much the only level that requires real twitch timing or reflexes in the whole game. Contra, on the other hand, is mercilessly hard, and by all account C4 is just as bad.

JSnake said:

I never finished the original Super Mario Bros. either. I used to lie about it when I was a kid to hide my secret shame. I can tear ass though Contra and Super C though.

JSnake

Stumpokapow said:
Yes. SMB is a cakewalk. 8-3 is pretty much the only level that requires real twitch timing or reflexes in the whole game. Contra, on the other hand, is mercilessly hard, and by all account C4 is just as bad.

Well, I can't get past world 7 in SMB. :(

Top Bottom