• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No girly-men allowed: Official Contra 4 shut-up-and-shoot Thread

jibblypop

Banned
Finally got around to playing this.. this game is so awesome!!

some things about it remind me of contra 3 and some things remind me of contra 1.
i think this game is way more difficult than both of those though.

This is exactly how to return to a old school series... REALLY well done.

now to try to beat it on normal!

I'm considering getting this game. I'm sure the replay value is through the roof, but for somebody who's new to the series, am I going to get extremely frustrated with the difficulty?

Just how steep is the learning curve?

NolbertoS

Little Green Yoda said:
I'm considering getting this game. I'm sure the replay value is through the roof, but for somebody who's new to the series, am I going to get extremely frustrated with the difficulty?

If you've never played a Contra game, prepared to get your ass handed down to you many times, even on Easy. It's all about repeating stage after stage and memorizing the enemies and when to shoot and when to jump. Don't get discouraged though, the game maybe hard at first, but the boss battles are epic and game ending is worth it, also you can unlock Classic Contra 1 and 2 after defeating any of the difficulties first and doing certain game challenges that are in a "new" setting that pops up.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Little Green Yoda said:

One thing I'll say is that I think it's a different kind of hard. Every time you die there's a clear reason, like say you weren't paying attention to some guy shooting at you from above, or you didn't jump at the right time.

I don't find it frustrating because I find that every time I play I get incrementally better because I start to learn what to watch out for.

mosaic

go eat paint
Just came out in Japan... anyone know if they tweaked the difficulty or included any Japan-specific bonuses?

I know the box art is very different... not sure I'd call it better, but certainly brighter.

lyre

There is no learning curve. You run, you shoot things, and you try not to suck and die (repeatedly).

The game is hard but through repeated deaths, you learn how to dodge and how the level is laid out.

The only question you need to answer is, just much pain can you tolerate? :p

lyre said:
There is no learning curve. You run, you shoot things, and you try not to suck and die (repeatedly).

The game is hard but through repeated deaths, you learn how to dodge and how the level is laid out.

Huh?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Narag said:
Difficult from beginning to end. The beginning isn't some easy level compared to the rest although it might feel that way due to constantly replaying it.
I still think that monorail-like machine that shoots at you from above on the first level is the hardest thing in the game. :lol

Narag said:
Difficult from beginning to end. The beginning isn't some easy level compared to the rest although it might feel that way due to constantly replaying it.

I know what level one in Contra is like. My "Huh?" was in reference to lyre's "There is no learning curve" statement, then in his very next sentence he says "you learn...", pretty much contradicting himself, which is why I bolded what I was referring to.

Anyway, of course there's a learning curve. It may not be as stiff and unforgiving as Shattered Soldier if you don't memorize every enemy placement and boss patterns, but you still greatly benefit from those things. It's also a good idea to play though different sections with different weapons to see which are best for each situation since relying on Spread only hasn't been a good idea since Super C. You need to learn the correct weapon and constantly change what you're carrying (thank god for the frequent item drops in C4) if you really want to perform well.

jibblypop said:
I still haven't beat normal! What a challenge!

Oh and speaking of challenge: the challenge mode is so brilliant!

Don't worry, it takes everyone a while to beat normal. If they say otherwise, they're a dirty liar! And the challenge mode is awesome, but soon it'll have to swearing with words you didn't even know you knew.

This is one of my favourite games for the DS, though I still haven't beaten it.

It's one of the purest games from this generation (from a gameplay point of view). All you do is run, jump and shoot. None of the other bullshit cut scenes and dialogue from other games.

And the difficulty is perfect, in the sense that death and failure is your fault because you were too girly(!) or weren't paying enough attention. Every time you die you get that little bit better (why can't real life be like this?).

Easily an 8 or 9 out of 10 game.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
This is the motherfucking hardest game ever invented and designed and holy fuck. I've never played a contra before so I don't know quite what I'm doing but seriously this game on easy is unbelievably hard.

Quality game though. I really disliked the XBLA version but this one seems to work so much better. Dunno why. Maybe I should give that another try.

Am I right in seeing you can unlock the full contra 1 and 2 games? That's pretty sweet.

NolbertoS

QVT said:
This is the motherfucking hardest game ever invented and designed and holy fuck. I've never played a contra before so I don't know quite what I'm doing but seriously this game on easy is unbelievably hard.

Quality game though. I really disliked the XBLA version but this one seems to work so much better. Dunno why. Maybe I should give that another try.

Am I right in seeing you can unlock the full contra 1 and 2 games? That's pretty sweet.

Yeah, but you gotta first finish the main story on any difficulty level, and than complete certain bonus challenges in the challenge mode to unlock both of them.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I still contend that Contra IV is much easier than the NES Contras.

In Contra IV pretty much every obstacle is based on a pattern or triggered depending on where you're standing. So it's super easy to predict what's going to happen and what to dodge with some trial and error.

In the NES Contras, I'm guessing because of memory constraints, so many elements are completely randomized, so it's hard to predict exactly where the next bullet is going to come from.

NolbertoS

sykoex said:
I still contend that Contra IV is much easier than the NES Contras.

In Contra IV pretty much every obstacle is based on a pattern or triggered depending on where you're standing. So it's super easy to predict what's going to happen and what to dodge with some trial and error.

In the NES Contras, I'm guessing because of memory constraints, so many elements are completely randomized, so it's hard to predict exactly where the next bullet is going to come from.

I disagree, I finished Contra 1 and 2, w/out using the 30 life cheat code on both of them. It was rather easy for me, blazing through it, hell even when I first played Contra 2, I made it to Level 6 before using all my continues. I would've never done that in the NES days, if I didn't use the life cheat code. Contra 4 was more frustrating in terms of trying to master each pattern and when to use certain weapons best for each stage, since some of the bosses can be dispatched easily, using certain weapons.

Only took me 3 days (lol) but I finally cleared Easy mode. Challenge mode, here I come!

Also, the
second part of the level 6's boss is a pain in the ass to beat with the standard pea-shooter. I was thisclose to just burning a continue to replay the level so I could get a better weapon until I realized that tapping the fire button resulted in a faster fire rate than holding down the button.

FoxSpirit

Little Green Yoda said:
Only took me 3 days (lol) but I finally cleared Easy mode. Challenge mode, here I come!

Also, the
second part of the level 6's boss is a pain in the ass to beat with the standard pea-shooter. I was thisclose to just burning a continue to replay the level so I could get a better weapon until I realized that tapping the fire button resulted in a faster fire rate than holding down the button.

Don't go too far in Challenge or you'll spoil the game for yourself. (at least don't do the final boss before you have met him the regular way).

sykoex said:
I still think that monorail-like machine that shoots at you from above on the first level is the hardest thing in the game. :lol

You know you can one-shot the pilot if you climb up to the railing before he appears, then jump and fire as he comes onto the screen, right?

Random Fact: Black Viper's theme was, at some point, supposed to have the "Crossfire" theme in it, but I don't think that ever happened. (Yes, the old commercial. "Black viper~ Black viper~ Black Vipeeeeeeeeeeeeer!")

ProphetZG

Contra Hard Corps on Genesis was miserably hard. I never got around to beating it, but got fairly far at one point. Amazing game for the Genesis with some really great effects.

SNES Contra was great, but definitely not as hard as other Contras.

Contra 4 on DS is bitch tough so far from what I've played, but I really like it, and the Bionic Commando style grappling hook is a nice addition to the gameplay. IMO this game is the right way to revive a classic 2D series. Not try to make it 3D or stuff it full of trendy crap (i.e. anime art like Castlevania), just take what made the game tick and build on it.

camineet

Banned
Just picked up Contra 4, which makes for the first DS game I've bought since 2005.

So far I'm lovin' it :D

This is how a revival should be done, with sprites. Gawd, I wish every game that was originally made in sprites that gets revived could be done in better 2D like this.

R-Type
Gradius
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Castlevania
Alien Syndrome
Golden Axe

These all need revivals that are at least on par with what WayForward & Konami have done with C4.

Garcia

This game is insane.

For the first time in a long time I had to play through on Easy just to fucking know how the Level 6 looked like :lol.

Awesome. I'm yet to beat this bastard on Normal. I reached the last couple of levels in the morning and I reached that part with all 4 continues, then I lost them all in the very last one.

The difficulty is amazing. It's really hard since you have to pay attention to every single angle in both screens, but as soon as you start to memorize enemy positions and patterns it just flows.

So far a very good 9.5 out of 10 in my opinion. And I'm betting the last boss will be fucking fantastic.

Pachinko

Cool , someone bumped this, I'd honestly forgotten I had this for some reason because I played it so much last year. I never did beat it on normal or finish the challenge mode, the best thing is when you start a game on hard because the music turns fuck-awesome on the first stage.

Who wants to see wayforward make a castlevania V now ?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I gotta play this again. I beat normal and challenge mode, now I'd like to beat it on hard. But I'm sure if I start again I'll have to play on easy first to get back into the groove.

Pachinko said:
Who wants to see wayforward make a castlevania V now ?
That'd be cool. I'd also love for them to bring back Rocket Knight Adventures/Sparkster.

lyre

Finally got around to finishing all of the challenges and unlocking everything (yeah yeah, shame on me and my bald chin and nonexistant chest hairs) and now I can focus on 1 lifing Normal mode.

Also I read thru all of the thread (I didn't originally) and no one has mentioned this but all of the unlock-able characters have an alternate colour costume; at first I thought this was a glitch due to the DSi but it also works on the DSL:

Select one of the optional characters (assuming you aren't using one)
Go to Challenge mode
Exit
Go back to Character select
Select the immediate character and confirm.

This alternate colour remains even if you turn the game off. It's a nice little easter eggs of sorts.

For those who don't want to dig up their carts:

Lucia/Sheena: Red
Probotector: Blue
Sully: Green
Jimbo: Purple (these two colours could be flipped).

And obligatory "Where's Contra 5!?"

Top Bottom