• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aizo

Banned
Skin and Bone
VvJKWnz.png
I usually don't like the work of Hino Hideshi. This is somewhat sad, though, because I love Horror, and his work is classic. This was definitely my favorite of his pieces I've read. The story that spans three chapters, about the sisters, is my very favorite.

I do respect the mangaka,, though. I mean... just look at him.

Petit Petit Tantan Petit Tantan 01-16

The short adventures of three girls that live in an all-girls dorm and the dog they adopt.

By the same mangaka of Seitokai Yakuindomo, so expect lots of great and amazing dirty jokes. Each chapter is pretty amusing and I like the new setting of a dorm instead of school. Pretty fun for a guy to partake in the jokes instead of being the straight man in the group.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I've been rereading Pokemon adventures, though I've only read up to RSE, but man.

I've forgotten just how dumb the story is from Kanto to Johto.

Still a fun read though, especially if you like pokemon. The story is so contrived though, and sometimes the pokemon battles even defy pokemon rules. Still, I think I'll try to catch up all the way to the DPP and BW arcs.

So I've been rereading Pokemon adventures, though I've only read up to RSE, but man.

I've forgotten just how dumb the story is from Kanto to Johto.

Still a fun read though, especially if you like pokemon. The story is so contrived though, and sometimes the pokemon battles even defy pokemon rules. Still, I think I'll try to catch up all the way to the DPP and BW arcs.

It gets more grounded in the rules once you get out of Kanto, especially since they were trying to be all edgy and stuff. You still have some moments of bad handwaves here and there but it becomes pretty enjoyable.

Out of what I read so far, it'll probably be DPP > Johto > RSE (so far) > Kanto > BW

wonzo

Banned
New Waves 133

RIP GLASSES GUY

Pochamani 9

pochamani9.png

This little bout of uncertainty at the end seemed really dumb after Tagami pretty much spelt out why he loved her to her entire family last chapter. why shoujo why

Blood Lad 32

… what the hell just happened.

dumbyugi

Strike the Blood 1-11

Generic as hell light novel based stuff. I mean it's not awful but it's far from being great. I like the main girl enough but the MC could not be more boring. I'll keep reading it but I might drop it if it doesn't pick up at least a little.

Williams

The wacky afternoon a young rich boy who dreams of following the adventures of his storybook idol and his maid he drags along with the ride.

This was a crazy but fun one-shot. I liked the ending and it definitely has potential to become a longer series from the way it ended and more tales of adventuring with his maid and her magical MP pool could be fun. Though too bad the mangaka is doing Kingdom Hearts now, lol.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It gets more grounded in the rules once you get out of Kanto, especially since they were trying to be all edgy and stuff. You still have some moments of bad handwaves here and there but it becomes pretty enjoyable.

Out of what I read so far, it'll probably be DPP > Johto > RSE (so far) > Kanto > BW

Just finished RSE, and yeah, it is more grounded. Gotta say I enjoyed it more than Johto, mostly because Ruby and Sapphire as protagonists >>>>>> Gold and Silver, plus yeah, the story was mostly grounded except for (spoilered in case you haven't read the end yet)
celebi ex machina

Stulaw

True Love 1-11
Forbidden Love shoujo manga between a brother and sister who hadn't seen each other fall in love, the plot's really obvious at the moment but I enjoyed what was there.

Lain

K-ON! highschool
mMx.jpg

I loved this. There wasn't my adorable Yui (tough Ui does imitate her a couple times) nor Ritsu, but it was still a throughly funny, adorable read.
Seeing Azu-nyan go from white to brown in the span of 4 images while UI was opening the sun protection lotion made me laugh, or Ui pocketing Yui's picture.

I can hardly wait to get my hands on K-ON! College.

kiyomi

Velvet Kiss 01-16

Much smut. Will Nitta continue to be enticed by literally every woman he meets? Why yes. Yes, he will. It's bad, but I'm going along with it - and not even for the casual sex. Honest.
kanoko is top tier tho

I should really be reading something a little more edifying, but hey.

Nothing wrong with rooting for best girl.

I can agree with that. She's a fantastic character either way.

wonzo

Banned
Yozakura Quartet 51-68

yozaquart61.png

Well, it looks like the translations chose a pretty decent place to end for now. Time for the anime I guess. lol

My only real issue with this series is how it's so incredibly hard to take anything that happens seriously where it completely takes the wind out of any "shit got real" moments which happen multiple times in each arc. It's still a pretty decent read though.

dumbyugi

Saki 118

Someya is forever destined to have the shortest matches. Not that I care too much, she's the most boring of the Kiyosumi girls.

Akito

The Heroic Legend of Arslan 4
Yep, that was a bloodbath alright, Arakawa has done a great job depicting a cruel battle of a massive scale. The new guy looks way younger than I expected him too be but going by manga standards, he might be in his mid-forties or something.

Aizo

Banned
Blame Gakuen! And So On
I didn't know that Nihei had a sense of humor. If you read Blame!, I encourage you to read this. The art is top notch, as always, and there are some interesting additions to the world that Nihei has so meticulously created.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan 4
tumblr_muz0h9FQ0V1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I think it still shows the one issue with the genre, too many named characters combined with no names on the screen makes it hard to follow, especially for a monthly series. Oh well, I guess itd be easily resolved in printed volumes or animated.

New character (not narsas) is really good, and Im ready for this more focused journey of the loners.

Aizo

Banned
Billy Bat - Ch. 106-108
Space race!
I'm not sure that we needed all that back story for the creepy, skinny bad guy, but all right.
Even he's connected to that bald criminal? If someone made a web of all the characters relationships, it would look very, very messy.

Kurita

Hunter x Hunter vol.18

Oh shit the president is here.
The Kimera Ants arc has some big potential. I wonder if I'll like it more than York Shin City.

Peco

Blame Gakuen! And So On

I didn't know that Nihei had a sense of humor. If you read Blame!, I encourage you to read this. The art is top notch, as always, and there are some interesting additions to the world that Nihei has so meticulously created.

Holy crap, I finished Blame! just a couple of days ago and now I need to read this.

kiyomi

Girls of the Wild's 1-14

After an inauspicious first few chapters and some minor annoyances with some of the inconsistent art, I'm now fully on board. There's a good mix of light-hearted school life and a dosage of heavier family relationships that overshadows a lot of the interactions between the leading boy and girl. Dal Dal is best girl, mostly because of ;

Just finished RSE, and yeah, it is more grounded. Gotta say I enjoyed it more than Johto, mostly because Ruby and Sapphire as protagonists >>>>>> Gold and Silver, plus yeah, the story was mostly grounded except for (spoilered in case you haven't read the end yet)
celebi ex machina

Yeah, the ending is just a little silly.
Can't have real deaths actually stay real!

Waratte! Sotomura-san 50

Waratte!

Silva 37

Forever fifteen.

Strike The Blood 11

Well at the very least this is more enjoyable than Index cause there's no Index. And the protag is actually possibly useful in a fight, so woo.

Stulaw

Wagatsuma-San 38

Well, I was wrong about my last thought
she's not a monster
I know that it's the whole point of the manga, but why does he care who he ends up with in the future?

Hayate no Gotoku 426

Ruka's only going to have sold 1, or it's a draw or something.

Heysoos

Girls of the Wild's 1-14

After an inauspicious first few chapters and some minor annoyances with some of the inconsistent art, I'm now fully on board. There's a good mix of light-hearted school life and a dosage of heavier family relationships that overshadows a lot of the interactions between the leading boy and girl. Dal Dal is best girl, mostly because of ;

Fucking love Dal Dal

Girls of the Wild's 1-14

Yet another Dal Dal fan. Welcome.

Maki no Gakkyuu Nisshi 1

pG1574p.png

Well, this is frustrating. It's a collection of short shoujo horror stories revolving around school girls, much like a certain other series I'm slightly partial to (right down to its supernatural narrator). I'd usually be salivating over it, but unfortunately the quality of the release is so poor that it's drained the life blood from practically every enjoyable element of it. At least it's only a single volume long, meaning I'll spend less time grieving over what could've been.

Akito

Green Blood, buy or no buy?

Also, any opinion on Hideout and Rainbow, by the same person of Green Blood?
All 3 are great, Hideout is one of the best horror manga that I've read and Green Blood is a surprisingly well-researched and manly as fuck historical manga. Rainbow may not be for everyone because it's quite a depressing story (judging based on the anime). They all have fantastic art but you probably knew that already.

Mirai Nikki Redial 1 A/B (END)
Dial 1-800-YUKIIII for a good time. Couldn't help but notice that she was hammerless at the end.

I don't care what format it takes or how little sense it makes, I'm always up for more
Yuno /
of this universe.

dumbyugi

BaggataWay 1-13

This is fun sports shounen about a girls Lacrosse team. Too bad the scans are only up to chapter 13 which was was scanned 907 days ago. Why would you stop just before the first actual match? Oh well, maybe someone will continue someday.

Golden Time vol. 1

I really enjoy the anime so I thought I'd check out how the manga adaptation was. Eps 1-3 coincide with the first volume of the manga. I think the manga art is average and the anime adaptation is waaay more interested and better presented than the manga. Don't want to ruin the anime by reading ahead either so I suppose I'll stop here. I hope the light novels will be officially released in English in the future.

Sleeping Moon v2 (end)
tumblr_inline_mud5cc7tpO1rnuo6g.jpg

Good story and pick up from sublime manga. Really enjoyed both volumes and Kano Miyamoto gave her characters both male and female good art. The supernatural story was wonderfully told in all nine chapters plus the bonus and even spanning across two time periods with its deep curse plotline and backstory there and trying to solve the mystery/paradox of it all didnt feel cramped or constrained within the two volumes. In fact it was told quite well and even gave nice amounts of moments between Akihiko and Ren, Akihiko and Eitarou and even for the side characters to have some nice development too. Glad I purchased it and will reread again sometime. Its was really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom