• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kafiend

I don't. I actually used to; sorting them in PC and Emulation categories, but I stopped doing that since Steam constantly removes my emulator shortcuts.

Thank you very much for the game adaen!

\Steam\userdata\#####\config is where your shortcuts are kept. Back it up when you make them and replace when Steam kills it.

Hinomura

ibct9UbaNe5K4r.jpg

Just played a bit of Shadow Man, it's been so many years!

Bought on PC at launch, and really loved it, I almost managed to finish it but... things happened, time passed... as soon as I saw it on Steam I told myself that this could be the right time to get to the ending!

A couple of bullets to read, if you're interested in it:

PROS
- A lot to do, a lot to see
You're Shadow Man, and you go on a quest to save the world from evil, wandering in Deadside and Liveside, slaying strange/horrible creatures and strange/horrible persons while you gather souls and powers. Simple plot, but interesting to follow its development.
Think abount Shadow Man as a third person "metroidvania" - I know it's an abused term, but I think this time should be appropriate: you start with almost no powers, and as you get stronger and more skilled you can go back to places that were not accessible before, discovering new places, powers, etc. You teleport here and there, there are puzzles, there are bossfights, there's exploration.

- Very atmospheric
I don't know if it's a rose-tinted-glasses matter (probably it is), but the vibe of graphics and soundtrack is still charming to me.

- One of the minions is Jack the Ripper
And he is an architect.

- DRM Free
You can launch it outside Steam.

CONS
- Little technical nuisances
No downsampling, no antialias - had to force supersampling via nVidia inspector. No Steam overlay (I thought it was a requirement for Steam?), a few other minor issues.

- Weird mapping / control problems
Controls are pretty outdated / weird. It requires a bit to get used to them, and it's better to map the strafe (which isn't mapped by default!).
No gamepad triggers, no digital pad, and no gamepad right analogue stick (360 gamepad emulated via Xinput Wrapper using a Dual Shock 3) are recognized by the game.

- Graphically very outdated
Very lowres texture and barebone polygons structures, dull animations. They're worst in real time cutscene, since you look at them more closely and the way characters move in cutscenes is pretty er.. bizarre at best.

SUMMING
An interesting, fascinating game with outdated graphics and controls. It's very cheap (3.69€ / 4.99$), it's well suited for Halloween.

Link to the steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/251770

The "We may not always pay full price, but we pay for our games here" bundle.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Volgarr the Viking -- MB-3E630EC5A7E7E298 - Taken by Grief.exe. 71 entrants total.

t1382499096z1.png

Silky

Banned
I am until I get ahold of Ghosts. Been out of the COD loop since MW2, but these dogs are calling me.

Really? I could use more people playing it, aha. It's a pretty decent game. May I DM you my UN? We could play Co-Op!

Also; play BO2. It's very very good.

ibct9UbaNe5K4r.jpg

Bought on PC at launch, and really loved it, I almost managed to finish it but... things happened, time passed... as soon as I saw it on Steam I told myself that this could be the right time to get to the ending!

A couple of bullets to read, if you're interested in it:

PROS
- A lot to do, a lot to see
You're Shadow Man, and you go on a quest to save the world from evil, wandering in Deadside and Liveside, slaying strange/horrible creatures and strange/horrible persons while you gather souls and powers. Simple plot, but interesting to follow its development.
Think abount Shadow Man as a third person "metroidvania" - I know it's an abused term, but I think this time should be appropriate: you start with almost no powers, and as you get stronger and more skilled you can go back to places that were not accessible before, discovering new places, powers, etc. You teleport here and there, there are puzzles, there are bossfights, there's exploration.

- Very atmospheric
I don't know if it's a rose-tinted-glasses matter (probably it is), but the vibe of graphics and soundtrack is still charming to me.

- One of the minions is Jack the Ripper
And he is an architect.

- DRM Free
You can launch it outside Steam.

CONS
- Little technical nuisances
No downsampling, no antialias - had to force supersampling via nVidia inspector. No Steam overlay (I thought it was a requirement for Steam?), a few other minor issues.

- Weird mapping / control problems
Controls are pretty outdated / weird. It requires a bit to get used to them, and it's better to map the strafe (which isn't mapped by default!).
No gamepad triggers, no digital pad, and no gamepad right analogue stick (360 gamepad emulated via Xinput Wrapper using a Dual Shock 3) are recognized by the game.

- Graphically very outdated
Very lowres texture and barebone polygons structures, dull animations. They're worst in real time cutscene, since you look at them more closely and the way characters move in cutscenes is pretty er.. bizarre at best.

SUMMING
An interesting, fascinating game with outdated graphics and controls. It's very cheap (3.69€ / 4.99$), it's well suited for Halloween.

Link to the steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/251770

damn i'm so tempted as i love dreamcast era games but....i need dat gamepad support....i think it was like $3 or 4 on CAG too

jediyoshi

Ghosts is just a weird one to return on. You skipped over the ones where Treyarch snatched the COD Crown and ran with it. No other COD can catch up.

Really? I could use more people playing it, aha. It's a pretty decent game. May I DM you my UN? We could play Co-Op!

Go for it, we can experience the tragedy of GFACE together. Mostly out of commission until I get a new mouse though. My current one disconnects and Warface (and Payday 2) show the hardware cursor when they reconnect ruining everything ]:

Turfster

The Groupees Doujin Bundle 2 is getting an extra bonus game apparently, that isn't a shmup or a visual novel that was added to Greenlight this month.
People seem to be thinking it'll be Vanguard Princess.

Volgarr is awesome, buy it if you don't win toddhunter's generous giveaway.

That shit's too hard for me, son.

urban chaos is tempting the shit out of me too, that's another dreamcast game that always seemed really interesting but i just never got around to buying it. but now i question that one's gamepad support too since i feel like it's probably updated like shadow man was.

r3n4ud

Anyone heard anything on How to Survive? Releases tomorrow.. the one metacritic review is bad. (and in French).

It looks interesting, and crafting + zombies sounds like fun.. but that one review scares me.

Here's what More_Badass thought of it earlier today. Posted in the indie games thread

Okay, some early How To Survive impressions (40 minutes in)

- so far the game is relatively linear. And I'm guessing you move to different hub maps as the game progresses because the current map isn't that big. However there is a slight Metroidvania element in that you earn new equipment that allows you to access new areas. For example, getting the Machete allows you to hack through bushes and open up blocked pathes

- There are elements so far that suggest that gameplay will become more open, such a different campfires across the map and the fact that some weapons are silent

- You can choose between Normal and Iron Man mode. I've only played Normal so far. Also you can choose between three different characters: the jack of all trades who's has better precision, one with a lot of stamina but is weak, and one with a lot of health and strength but poor stamina.

- Controls are definitely skewed towards a gamepad, but it controls just fine with a KB/M. Right button to aim, left to attack, hold left for a critical attack. Regular attacks can send enemies reeling and open them up for an instant kill finisher. That part reminds me of State of Decay, in that you have some cool moves for each weapon. Well at least the two weapons I've used so far. Enemies sometimes drop supplies when they die

- You can attack and shoot without aiming, but with decreased accuracy. Bow and arrow is pretty satisfying and you can collect your arrows

- Nice gore effects with weapons. The machete can lop off limbs and heads, while the stick just spatters their skulls.

- Graphics are nice, a bit laggy for me but functional. Nice details like the tide rolling in and out, the shifting shadows/daylight changing as it turns to night, birds flying off when you approach. Your character controls and animates pretty well, haven't noticed anything horrible. Atmosphere is good, especially at night with your flashlight and a flickering campfire

- More powerful enemies come out at night, but can be kept at bay with your flashlight or a campfire

- Skill tree has a variety of skills to unlock such as incendiary and explosive arrows and the ability to make stats boosters

- Most annoying thing so far are the Kovac Survival Guides. Luckily they're optional, unfortunately they deliver important information like how to craft stuff and combat tips. It's like the game has a nice atmosphere, tides crashing on the beach, pretty cool, and then you select one of the books and some tonally-whiplash music starts playing and the narrator has a horribly bad Russian accent. But like I said, they're optional

- Most zombies I've seen so far is maybe 15-20. It's easy to get surrounded and it's hard to find health (which is good thing IMO). When you're low on health, your character is reduced to a slow limp.

- So overall it's pretty good so far. Nothing horrible yet, but nothing amazing either. I'd say a gamepad is preferred.

adaen

ibct9UbaNe5K4r.jpg

I remember playing that game on my good old N64 and being rather fascinated by the story and theme of the game (as a 12 or 13 year old). Never did beat it though as my cheap 3rd party memory cards were pretty unreliable with this game.

Thanks for the impressions, I'll probably buy it in a future sale.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Here's what More_Badass thought of it earlier today. Posted in the indie games thread

Thanks, looks like I can hold off... especially since I just cracked and bought Last of Us off PSN just now... let's see if this 2 hour timer is correct to download it.. sounds wrong for 27gigs off PSN.

Cth

I have had this great game sitting in my inventory for too long, bought a two pack a while ago. Some other GAF user would enjoy it more than my inventory, lol:

I won! Thanks Mengy! I'm in the middle of a really crappy day and I've always wanted to play this one!

Cody_D165

Banned
Once again I find myself getting a ton of great games lately thanks to ModBot and SteamGAF, so I figured the least I could do is pay it forward. Friend of mine wanted Anodyne so I gave it to him but here's some keys from the latest Humble Bundle.

If you win Ticket to Ride, feel free to PM me and I'll send along the DLC code.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Ticket to Ride -- MB-BDB158CCFB5F4FB9 - Taken by RS4-
Incredipede -- MB-954AAEB742E43838 - Taken by Htown
Greed Corp -- MB-8B12F999D6C1806F - Taken by Kuroyume

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Seems like a logical one to hop back in on with them wrapping up BO and starting some new branding. WAW seemed like a wreck and I didn't want to get into BO2 without playing the first and at that point laziness took over.

Ah. If you only really care about single player then it matters a lot less which COD you jump back in with.

Yes! That will be so amazing to sit down and play games from 1999 with full gamepad support from M/KB emulation.

No joke: when I saw the Steam Controller the first thing I thought of was another Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines playthrough.

Momentary

Banned
Am I a bad person for not having played a single COD after 4? Somebody told me that today.

Whew I'm excited. I thought Naruto was being release on the 25th. I see that it's the 24th now.

The bad news is, Arkham Origins comes out the next day.

Kuroyume

Banned
Once again I find myself getting a ton of great games lately thanks to ModBot and SteamGAF, so I figured the least I could do is pay it forward. Friend of mine wanted Anodyne so I gave it to him but here's some keys from the latest Humble Bundle.

If you win Ticket to Ride, feel free to PM me and I'll send along the DLC code.

Thanks!

Cth

Paying it forward..

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header_292x136.jpg

Bioshock -- MB-B2CDF44AA79DEA51 - Taken by Cyberquake. 19 entrants total.

t1382501480z1.png

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
One of the best puzzle games there is:
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

header_292x136.jpg

Toki Tori -- MB-DE8F8B06D41883B9 - Taken by Cody_D165

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
We should starting taking bets on whether or not the Batman retail key issues will roll over to next week.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
There's a program called xpadder that kinda already does this. With it i can play a game like shadowman with my 360 controller no problem.

Xpadder works for many things, but it's a bit like using a cup in place of a bowl.

Steam controller is like having that shit ground up and blasted in your mouth.

Retne

Xpadder works for many things, but it's a bit like using a cup in place of a bowl.

Steam controller is like having that shit ground up and blasted in your mouth.

I actually prefer to eat cereal out of a red solo cup... Not quite sure what that says about me.

@JaseC: Damn, I never thought about that. Using the steam community for controller profiles will either be the greatest thing or the worst thing. I guess as long as you can sort by the rating it should be pretty darn good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There's a program called xpadder that kinda already does this. With it i can play a game like shadowman with my 360 controller no problem.

The Steam Controller will streamline the process, though, thanks to Steam Workshop support -- playing a game that lacks native controller support with a controller will soon be as easy as searching Steam for a configuration file.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't seen you around and now you have a different avatar? What's going on!

---

Anyway, with Halloween holiday arriving is anyone planning on starting to play something horror related to get in the mood?

Halloween may not be a fairly common tradition in here but I do like the spirit of such holiday, it's fun.
I've been playing (yes, even though it's hard to believe, I sometimes play stuff!) Pokemon Y (almost) non-stop and barely browsing anything else than its OT for the last week. Haven't got too far though, a little over 30 hours in and I haven't beaten the 5th gym. But it's soooo good!

The avatar is the shiny starter that I got, Braixen (actually it's Fennekin's evolution, and now it turned into Delphox). It may not have very good stats (its speed sucks, I think), but it's the first (and so far last) shiny I ever had.

Halloween isn't common here either, but this may be a good excuse to either continue playing Amnesia, try Paranormal or give Condemned a chance.

sheaaaa

Sir, You Are Being Hunted is 50% off and the developer says that's the cheapest it will be for a while. Any impressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom