• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II Network Test | YOU DEFEATED

Kensuke

I went there. I died. And I don't know what's
behind the fog gate

Did the big knight kill you? Retreat to the bridge and use spells if you have them. There is a boss behind the gate. The chariot guy, also pretty easy. After that there is another bonfire and an NPC (which I killed, hehe). But after that it's another dead end.

Dex815

I don't know if it is because I'm already used to Souls games, but this seems pretty easy so far :(

I only died once, falling when I was moving backwards while locking an enemy. The Skeleton Lords also were easy piece. It reminded me to the Demon Souls's Phalanx.

Probably using the Warrior build makes things easier too.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Amusing that they call it a 'CBT session' in the in game message. Presumably community based testing, but cognitive behaviour therapy sums up the Souls series to a tee.

They did give times on a previous message but haven't repeated them. Wasn't quick enough to catch them.

AnnTiPa

My impressions:

"So many bloodstains ; _ ;"
"You call this rolling? I can walk faster than that, I guess I'll have to trust my shield."
"So, I see they went back to Demon's Souls design with shields and stamina usage... no more blocking heavy attacks"

Really liking all the changes so far. Definitely going for a dex build next time.

web01

Test worked great for me I loved that they spawned the red gravelord version enemies, not sure if that was in the last test since I missed it.

verbatimo

EU Beta over

My Temple Knight was victorious. :p

MF905mF.jpg

Gigarator

Are the caves meant to be this dark? It's literally black, cannot see anything whatsoever. Brightness is ramped up to the max and it's making no difference, am I missing a spell or something to cast light?

Are the caves meant to be this dark? It literally black, cannot see anything whatsoever. Brightness is ramped up to the max and it's making no difference, am I missing a spell or something to cast light?
Light at a torch at the bonfire (the very beginning when you spawn)

Ill Saint

Summoning / invading did not work throughout the test, but other than that the game is awesome. Once I adjusted to the new movement and feel, it was just great. I died a lot, mostly to the
Chariot
and big red dude.

Tried playing as Sorcerer for the last hour or so, but found it tough going. Spells seemed kinda flimsy and weak, apart from soul greatsword. Soul shower was nigh useless from what I could tell, but maybe others had better experience with sorcery. Curious to read impressions about it.

Anyway, loved it, can't wait until March. Feel bad for the NA players who were up at weird hours, but at least Bamco are making it up to you in a couple of weeks.

so1337

Well, that was fun. Didn't get very far though.
Apart from a few sudden drops here and there it was pretty similar to the framerate in the console version of Dark Souls.
What? No, it's way better. In terms of framerate Dark Souls on consoles was pretty atrocious most of the time. This seems to actually run at 60 occasionally.

My sympathies to people who weren't able to play.

There was one section in the scenery that was just like what I imagined what a part of Dark Souls 1 would be like, before it was released, when all I knew was that it was Demon's Souls with everything conjoined. At night, walking between two cliffs just that distance apart.

That made my excitement levels for it very high, seeing what I had imagined so accurately and coincidentally represented in that moment.

Kensuke

I'm worried the game might be too easy. You get lifegems all the time and the two bosses in the demo were a piece of cake. Maybe I'm just used to the way these games play by now. Oh well, had a ton of fun regardless.

Mman235

Did anyone who got in have a major issue with the camera where it was far more sensitive on one side than the other? It made it basically unplayable without camera speed on max and it was still kind of slow on the broken direction, it also made switching targets near-impossible. It wasn't in the last test either. If not I better check some other games in case my joypad is breaking or something.

Also interesting that you actually had light radius this time even without the torch, which makes me wonder if not being able to see shit last time was just a mistake.

Edit: Unless taking the torch just once automatically gives you a light even when you lose it.

Has any documented the features/quirks of dual-wielding yet? I did a few tests when the time was nearly up and the main thing seemed to be that it let you cancel out attacks faster with the off-hand weapon. That means the most powerful dual-wield character might be one who uses a colossal weapon in one hand and an extremely fast one in the other and cancels out the glacial attack animations. Guess I'll have to try it if I can get onto the next test.

Jurge92

Neo Member
I think I beat the beta.

Did
Skeleton Lord & Chariot Dude as well as beat the black phantoms
Anything I missed?

Yeah me too. Same as last network test. I don't find any of them particularly hard. They were easier this time.
Did also beat the ogre black phantom, he had an enormous attack power. Even with my level 50 character, he emptied 80% of my health bar...

Aptly enough the beta ended with me stuck in a deep dark hole, having just found a new armor set, holding >10,000 souls, but with seemingly no way out.

That brave little dual-wielder will be stuck in there forever... ;_;

Really enjoyed the beta, it has only increased my excitement for the full thing. The movement felt fantastic, wonderful fluidity.

Played the demo in about 2 hours 5 minutes, as a Warrior (I guess, the same guy we see in the artworks)

Beat the two bosses first time, they were easy.

Red phantoms are a bitch but at least there are a few shortcuts to help circumvent them.
New mechanics take some time to get used to but MAN is it awesome.

I'll be playing for sure in the next CBT they hurriedly set up for some time later.

zeox

I think I beat the beta.

Did
Skeleton Lord & Chariot Dude as well as beat the black phantoms
Anything I missed?

You can kill the little executioner-dude at the bonfire beyond the chariot boss, which, after either dieing or resting at the bonfire, will spawn a grave. You can pray at the grave which sacrifices 3000 souls and brings him back in ghost form. He doesn't say anything different after this though, so it's probably just there as a tease for the full game

J4g3r

Did everything that was to be done, perfect 3 hour session!

Got to SL61, beat both bosses and every red phantom. Unlocked all the shortcuts too.

(The last one I found with the poison chest and cage lift was... interesting - I shit myself)

My only gripe with Dark Souls II so far:

BXkzKmqIcAAaALm.jpg

Can I have the Greataxe from Dark Souls 1 back please? :p

Also my favourite weapon found in the beta has to be the Zwei... Which is weird because I really do not like Strength weapons in Dark Souls 1.

Siegmeyer

Damnit, was a couple of attacks away from taking down the chariot boss, circled around his back and he kicked me to death.

Really enjoyed the beta overall. I levelled Vit, End and Agility mostly (agility improves movement and roll speed for those saying it felt very sluggish). Found some sweet Dragonslayer Armor and a nice Halberd near the end of the demo. Loved the new backstab and parry animations, looking forward to trying them out with a variety of weapons.

Only real complaints were the bosses were a bit easy, and lifegems were everywhere. I'm hoping that was just for the demo though. Also seems odd that they've made the menus more confusing than DkS, can see newcomers being overwhelmed.

Gartooth

My timezone is East Coast US so the beta took place in literally the worst 3 hour time span you could have picked. (2am to 5 am) I set two alarms to wake me up at 1:45 a.m. , but when that time came to pass I disabled them both and slept through the beta. (Its past 6am here)

I'm not even mad, that was some great sleep! Anyway though, will there be another beta for those who signed up because I kinda want to play the game. :p

Dinda

That was great. There wasn't anything multiplayer, don't know if that was a problem or i just wasn't invaded.
I played as an archer, wasn't the best though, i immediately leveled intelligence to use magic.
Gameplay was great, a bit more Demon's than Dark Souls, which i like.

Not a big fan of the way the torch is used.

Overall fantastic, i look forward to buying this on PC (hopefully the DS4 is fully functional on PC till then)

You can kill the little executioner-dude at the bonfire beyond the chariot boss, which, after either dieing or resting at the bonfire, will spawn a grave. You can pray at the grave which sacrifices 3000 souls and brings him back in ghost form. He doesn't say anything different after this though, so it's probably just there as a tease for the full game

Shit I killed that guy but forgot to check again

feel

My timezone is East Coast US so the beta took place in literally the worst 3 hour time span you could have picked. (2am to 5 am) I set two alarms to wake me up at 1:45 a.m. , but when that time came to pass I disabled them both and slept through the beta. (Its past 6am here)

I'm not even mad, that was some great sleep! Anyway though, will there be another beta for those who signed up because I kinda want to play the game. :p
You didn't miss a thing, American beta didn't happen due to technical issues. Seriously.

Gartooth

Okay I just got caught up in this thread and I'm actually glad I slept through this. Jesus Namco, you better make this up to people. I can't believe they made people stay up that late and then couldn't get the game running. Also hopefully the testing times will be different next time if they choose to do a NA only make up beta.

You didn't miss a thing, American beta didn't happen due to technical issues. Seriously.

Words can not describe how angry I would be right now if I actually stayed up for the beta and they didn't deliver.

anddo0

Oh. I guess I missed it too.

Just release a demo damn it.

You didn't miss a thing, American beta dinn't happen due to technical issues. Seriously.

Good to know. We still need a proper demo.

cj_iwakura

Sheesh. I'm kind of glad I overslept now. I feel for everyone who stayed up just to get mad disappointment. My friend must be livid.

Pretty funny how the message said "Sorry for the problems some people were experiencing" when it was actually the whole US beta being broken

ArynCrinn

Banned
Now that I'm drunk and off to play more Super Hexagon this this whole thing is super funny. A true Scamco classic if there ever was one, should be scribed in the Bible of gaming history. The fans in NA who faded in and out of sleep to catch a glimpse of the beta, only to get dick smacked by the proverbial social gutter of the internet (other than FB), Twitter.

Scamco's message to angry mobs of fans, "sorry Sunbro's, get cha' back later" hopefully this time we'll get it right.

How anyone could not suspect Scamco of being Scamco is beyond me, under any circumstance. Like a drunk who's fallen off the wagon 20 times before, but this time he'll change. Should make every Nintendo fan so happy with joy and elation that Scamco is also handling a great deal of Smash Bros, and probably it's online functionality to a degree too. Fun times ahead in the Scamco Bible to say the least. Oh, and let's not forget to mention in the scribes too that Dark Souls 1 was rushed out by Scamco, causing probably the entirely of Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins to remain unfinished, and possibly even more looking at the content that was "cut", also probably put a strain of From's ability to smooth out performance issues for launch.

Who's gonna write the Prologue when DS2 is a mere shadow of Miyazaki's work, and it was in fact Scamco's ultimate decision and influence that forced him out of directing it?

Dex815

Has been confirmed which was the problem of the NA beta? For what I read it seems like Namco/From or SCEA forgot to upload the last version of the client to PSN servers, so people trying to log in the game server with an old client version were receiving connection refused. Am I right?

J4g3r

Has been confirmed which was the problem of the NA beta? For what I read it seems like Namco/From or SCEA forgot to upload the last version of the client to PSN's servers, so people trying to log in the game's server with an old client's version were receiving connection refused. Am I right?

In the UK we was on 1.02. The second patch I got was about 30MB, did the US get this one?

Top Bottom