• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"It's not all drama"

I like to imagine the handwriting is actually bad because he had the Microsoft rep tied up hostage and forced him write those letters in his name, left with a laptop to watch this thread in agony, nobody knowing the real truth, not daring to speak as no one would believe him anyway.

nib95

Banned
What a great story. Very cool they both responded to you. And as much as I think Boyes is an awesome guy, my God that hand writing lol. Adds to the quality of the read though!

Grats on the freebies too! Oh and may I just say, your wife sounds absolutely awesome too.

Basically, its good to be famousmortizzle

Good podcast btw

Thanks....

I really hope this post doesn't come across as a humblebrag. I'm certainly not the only gaffer that Adam or Chris talk to. The thing I loved about this story and made me all corny inside is that it's really about my wife. I was freaking out - literally... I have anxiety issues and I was totally bugging out and my idea was for my wife to hop on twitter and take the heat off me (as if the heat ever existed in the first place). My wife is so awesome that she did, she trolled the xbox mafia and got into a nice-guy-bidding-war with Chris and Adam.

I said this on the podcast earlier and I believe it. I'm excited about Xbox One Indies because of Chris Charla. He understands games as an artform. If I buy a xbox one he will be the main reason. As sony has proven this year... good people make for good consoles. I'm not thrilled with most of Microsoft's top guys, but - man - charla knows his shit. And I know that Boyes, even though he liked him enough to put his arm around him, knows that indies just got a lot more competitive because of Chris personally.

So my wife... and Charla vs Boyes. And all 3 are friends. If I'm humblebragging about that so be it. I think it's a cool ass story.

Squire

Banned
Wonderful story. Seriously, thank you. This really is what it's all about.

I can relate, too. I have a friend that I take college courses with. He's a gamer, but he's closer to what you'd call a "bro". He only really plays CoD, but he's not an asshole or anything; it's fine.

He recently started following me on Twitter though and earlier this week said during our lunch break that I'm "always hating on everything". I know that isn't entirely true. My tweets are a mix of humor, venting, and yeah - some hatin'. It's really not as bad as he made it seem, but everything is relative and the sting of that criticism has been with me in the back of my head since he made it.

I don't want to be that guy who's perceived as overly-negative because, out of everything, that's the thing I hate most about games and a lot of the people discussing them in our modern era.

Wonderful story. Seriously, thank you. This really is what it's all about.

I can relate, too. I have a friend that I take college courses with. He's a gamer, but he's closer to what you'd call a "bro". He only really plays CoD, but he's not an asshole or anything; it's fine.

He recently started following me on Twitter though and earlier this week said during our lunch break that I'm "always hating on everything". I know that isn't entirely true. My tweets are a mix of humor, venting, and yeah - some hatin'. It's really not as bad as he made it seem, but everything is relative and the sting of that criticism has been with me in the back of my head since he made it.

I don't want to be that guy who's perceived as overly-negative because, out of everything, that's the thing I hate most about games and a lot of the people discussing them in our modern era.

If I was good at the internet at 4am I would link to stuff but I'm shot. Anyway, about 8-10 years ago I heard a story on NPR about a female movie critic at the New York Times that was retiring (or maybe she had just passed away?). Anyway, most of the talk was about how she went into every single movie with a positive attitude. She had no snark. She would go into the american made godzilla hoping for the best.

I won't ever be like that... but man, I wish I was. It's so easy to shit on things. It's so easy to say "this sucks because of ___________________" But to explain why you like something... that takes more. Especially to do it with feeling. To grab Angry Birds Star Wars and put it in my vita knowing this goddamn phone game is $.99 but $40 on the vita and not have any thoughts laid out about it.... just experience it and report on it. That's what I strive to be. I won't be that. No one is that. But, man... MAN!

Now I'm turning this into me. But I think everyone can learn from that. Oh, Godzilla by an american? Might be cool! Let's go watch it!

Squire

Banned
If I was good at the internet at 4am I would link to stuff but I'm shot. Anyway, about 8-10 years ago I heard a story on NPR about a female movie critic at the New York Times that was retiring (or maybe she had just passed away?). Anyway, most of the talk was about how she went into every single movie with a positive attitude. She had no snark. She would go into the american made godzilla hoping for the best.

I won't ever be like that... but man, I wish I was. It's so easy to shit on things. It's so easy to say "this sucks because of ___________________" But to explain why you like something... that takes more. Especially to do it with feeling. To grab Angry Birds Star Wars and put it in my vita knowing this goddamn phone game is $.99 but $40 on the vita and not have any thoughts laid out about it.... just experience it and report on it. That's what I strive to be. I won't be that. No one is that. But, man... MAN!

Now I'm turning this into me. But I think everyone can learn from that. Oh, Godzilla by an american? Might be cool! Let's go watch it!

I feel like the number of posts (lack of) in this thread says something, but it's sad, so I'll leave it alone. I won't keep you up all night (morning) either.

But yeah. We're actually in school for game design. I like it, but I'm scared of that whole process of learning how the sausage is made; Seeing behind the curtain and having it change your perspective. That tends to amplify cynicism so strongly and, honestly? That scares me. I'm cynical enough already, but I fancy myself a true believer more than anything else, so I'll hold on to that as long as I can.

Anyway, great story. Thanks again.

I personally don't think it's a humblebrag, but even if someone were to take it as that, I find it amazing that the higher-ups in the industry take the time out to discuss things with people excited (and not so excited) about their products. It gives them a bit of humanity that the average person doesn't get from those people that are so high up in the company.

Amazing story and I'm happy to hear it. Keep doing what you do.

Being a jerk has much, much more weight to it. And that's not who I want to be. I don't want to be the "annoyed gamer" or the "sarcastic gamer" or the "fuck everything gamer." I want to be the "happy freakin gamer!" That's more fun, right?

I think out of the massive disillusionment that I experienced, my only way to cope the weird realities of this world is to hold a view I dub 'healthy skepticism' towards nearly everything. Take nothing for granted or at face-value, but never to assume the worst. Everything is a positive 60% acceptable rate, whose final judgments are made when the food is out of the oven, so to speak. Even then, I can take solace in the notion that people's life-blood are behind that food, and that sometimes a meal is undercooked every once and a while.

EDIT:

Well damn, you wrote a very good encapsulation of my philosophy while I was writing my response! Do it, because it makes you a happier person. If being hyper-critical doesn't make you happy, then don't do it.

MilkBeard

Really cool to see you got letters from people who work for Microsoft/Sony. Also, I remember when Next Gen first started. Thought the magazine was cool. Too bad most of the old mags have gone down the shitter.

Being a jerk has much, much more weight to it. And that's not who I want to be. I don't want to be the "annoyed gamer" or the "sarcastic gamer" or the "fuck everything gamer." I want to be the "happy freakin gamer!" That's more fun, right?

Boom. My sentiment exactly. It's so easy to be annoyed, angry, pessimistic, etc. and it has become a stereotype now of people who are into games. We forget that games are about having fun. That's what I'm here for.

EDIT:
Just wanted to add this quote to my post because it echoes my sentiment and I want to give it more voice:

Nibel

TBH morty isn't a nobody, but yeah, cool story and your wife rocks! Playing Demon's Souls makes her more hardcore than 90% of gamers

Yeah the run up to these launches have been all fun and games with rumour and counter-rumour.
But now is the time to take a chill-pill and enjoy which ever console you're getting because it's only video games guys, it's not worth getting a ulcer over.

Mr. X

Next time I'll just print out a word doc. Thought the handwriting had a more personal touch.

Handwriting a letter when you want to come off as sincere and personal is one of the best pieces of advice I have received. This thread is making it evident.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
Don't fall into their trap pete! All-out war is about to start.

In all seriousness though, it's kinda refreshing to see some lighthearted story (well kinda) with Adam and Chris involved. Refreshing I must say.

The_Monk

First of all, thank you for sharing this story fellow GAFfer.

It sure feels good to get such kindness from other people, in the end why can't we all be friends? I really agree. In this place, as a Community I do try my part on bringing the best anyone can be. I think it's a great place to share your opinion and to have a proper discussion while being polite, mature and avoiding pointless cursing that often adds nothing to the discussion.

This part got my particular attention:

I don't know if he meant it as profoundly as I took it but the "unless you're being a jerk" part really hit home. Most of my adult/internet life I've been on the side of anonymous/semi-anonymous commenter. I've said rude shit to people I don't like. I've been overly hyperbolic about stupid shit. In the past few months I've been on the other side of that, having my wife called a tranny, being told to choke on, well, whatever - things are shitty on the internet. I've even received death threats. I was never that level of asshole... but being on both sides of how this works is really eye opening. I don't know if Adam was pointing at a specific time where I was a jerk or just giving the general advice of don't be a jerk but, and I know this is corny, but this is a very different world from the one I grew up in... and I'm only 36. Being a jerk has much, much more weight to it. And that's not who I want to be. I don't want to be the "annoyed gamer" or the "sarcastic gamer" or the "fuck everything gamer." I want to be the "happy freakin gamer!" That's more fun, right?

Yes. That's right, that's more fun indeed.

It's a shame, however, you had to do write rude things to others, as a Community in here that is quite the other way of what the word "community" stands for. As you stated, you are 36 years old and I would say it's never too late to learn how to remain calm and keep your cool even when we read many negative things. Believe me, when it comes to offending others, nothing and I mean nothing good will come out of it, and again, it defeats the purpose of trying to keep a community strong together.

I also feel a bit sad that, in order to you see this, you had to see even more rude people offending your wife. I'm glad she was okay with that and it was a master of ignoring such negativity however this is your loved one I'm talking about and even if it is the internet when you read something directed to the ones you love like that you really are more than okay to be upset. I'm glad you don't want to be a "jerk" like you mentioned and I'm glad this experience was something that helped you understand things from a different point of view.

Have fun with those amazing gifts and keep doing a good job. We learn everyday. As for myself I will also keep on trying to be a better person everyday but also, a better GAFfer. ;)

Caught this on the live stream, and it is a reminder to people that there are genuine people working at both companies that truly care. There are still brass above them that can potentially bottle them up, but there are people at both companies trying to do right and hopefully they succeed.

Rey

First of all, thank you for sharing this story fellow GAFfer.

It sure feels good to get such kindness from other people, in the end why can't we all be friends? I really agree. In this place, as a Community I do try my part on bringing the best anyone can be. I think it's a great place to share your opinion and to have a proper discussion while being polite, mature and avoiding pointless cursing that often adds nothing to the discussion.

This part got my particular attention:

Yes. That's right, that's more fun indeed.

It's a shame, however, you had to do write rude things to others, as a Community in here that is quite the other way of what the word "community" stands for. As you stated, you are 36 years old and I would say it's never too late to learn how to remain calm and keep your cool even when we read many negative things. Believe me, when it comes to offending others, nothing and I mean nothing good will come out of it, and again, it defeats the purpose of trying to keep a community strong together.

I also feel a bit sad that, in order to you see this, you had to see even more rude people offending your wife. I'm glad she was okay with that and it was a master of ignoring such negativity however this is your loved one I'm talking about and even if it is the internet when you read something directed to the ones you love like that you really are more than okay to be upset. I'm glad you don't want to be a "jerk" like you mentioned and I'm glad this experience was something that helped you understand things from a different point of view.

Have fun with those amazing gifts and keep doing a good job. We learn everyday. As for myself I will also keep on trying to be a better person everyday but also, a better GAFfer. ;)

Well said Monk. I want to say I always enjoy your respectful way op posting and I wish a lot more people here would post like you.

I personally can not imagine getting so riled op about videogames or a gaming console and insulting people you don't know in the process.

CTLance

That's really nice of them, kudos MS and Sony

Ask Reggie if he cares lol
You're joking, but I think it would be a good test to see how on the ball their PR is.

On topic, cute story, famousmortimer. Also: Hug your wifey and never let her go. That's an order.

JDSN

Banned
Good stuff, at some point people tend to forget that they are still people doing their job.

Im not talking about the bloated sad excuses for a piece of shit that trashed on your wife, of course, they are not part of humanity to me.

Ettie

About six years ago I just decided to quit being an internet jackass. Back then it wasn't anything like it is now, but I still had my share of needlessly confrontational moments. Honestly, I've enjoyed the web more in general since then. I can only hope that over time more people will give up on some of the unsettling behavior that we're seeing now.

KarmaCow

Instantly thought of this.

PGoWTBj.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So Adam Boyes is saying there was a time when he did not care about you in the past? Wow arrogant sony is back

Oppo

I know just what you mean, Famous. I'm 38 and I just can't muster much more ire than an eye roll 98% of the time. It's more fun to hear and read genuine enthusiasm. I think sometimes we amp up our rhetoric on forums because we can't inflect our voice or wave our hands to make a point and it comes across badly (my fave is "infinitely"). Or noticing certain game compromises and shitting in them is confused with being discerning.

Anyways - good post.

Also, Adam Boyes is unstoppable.

Posts like these make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. It's so easy to forget admist all the arguments, rumours, leaks, the highlights, and the negatives, that there are real people behind these corporations.

Little gestures like these just make them seem so much more... connected. I love it.

jaypah

'here's a postcard i got my secretary to type to show i care'

hmm

Damn, can't we just enjoy a cool moment without this shit?

Anyway, keep on rockin' Mort. Even when I throw a friendly jab at your Sony-lust understand that it's attached to a lot of respect. Hopefully you can continue doing what you do with as little stress as possible. It must be annoying as hell to have to deal with an internets worth of angry fanboys lol

Top Bottom