• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II Network Test | YOU DEFEATED

Soriku

Well I beat the Executioner...as a phantom anyway. At the doorsteps of the skeleton boss but the guy I'm helping seems to be waiting for another phantom to summon.

The water still looks as shitty as ever lol. The areas are pretty detailed but someone needs to teach From how to design good water.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Summoning failed, the sign has disappeared x 100000 :(

Anyone else unable to summon?

Yes, but I've gotten summoned or summoned people randomly. Keep trying. Either people are pulling the signs fast, or From's netcode is striking again. Hopefully they fix it to where signs being pulled by someone disappear until they know both players can connect to the other (and it should be able to, BTW, From)

Hollow

Some of these invasions are laggy as hell.

Getting stun locked by a phantom 10 feet away isn't very fun.
Hoping this gets ironed out by launch.

Rolling iframes have been so nerfed, I guess I can't fraud my way through battles with it anymore.

Yep, I was playing a ton of Demon's literally right before I started playing this 2nd round of the beta, I already played the first. It doesn't feel right, I don't like the movement of your character. Dark and Demon's have a much more precise and controllable feel. This beta feels sloppy in comparison, even with 40 agility, you move faster, but not cleaner. There is no replicating the smooth and direct input for character control like previous Souls games.

Looks to be good for PvE, and I am sure there will be a ton of activity and fun to be had, but the core mechanics of character control just aren't there in this beta. Not sure what kind of lasting power this game will have for me, or if I will get really into the PvP aspect of it like I did with Dark Souls.
Agreed, controls were never a concern in the previous games but it does feel like something you have to wrestle with now -- well, that and the Dragon's Dogma-esque framerate.

Tilian

Banned
Yep, I was playing a ton of Demon's literally right before I started playing this 2nd round of the beta, I already played the first. It doesn't feel right, I don't like the movement of your character. Dark and Demon's have a much more precise and controllable feel. This beta feels sloppy in comparison, even with 40 agility, you move faster, but not cleaner. There is no replicating the smooth and direct input for character control like previous Souls games.

Looks to be good for PvE, and I am sure there will be a ton of activity and fun to be had, but the core mechanics of character control just aren't there in this beta. Not sure what kind of lasting power this game will have for me, or if I will get really into the PvP aspect of it like I did with Dark Souls.

That's a good way of putting it. I tried spinning the stick around to run in a tight circle (as you do in DS a lot for fun) and the animation was so clunky there was no fluid movement, which translates poorly into gameplay.

Very weird, though, since the shift from DeS to DS felt natural in gameplay. This feels like a new team completely.

Soriku

Umm I just realized but even though you can hide the HUD you can't get rid of the status buffs from your screen as part of the HUD. What? I have this shield with an up arrow sitting awkwardly there in the corner.

Robot Pants

Not really on the hype train for this anymore. Played about 4 or so hours altogether between the two tests and I can't stand the feel of it. I'm pumping Agility and everything still feels too sluggish and slow, and the animations are, well, bad in a gameplay way. Pvp feels a real step down from DS and DeS. And I doubt anything substantial will change before March.

I guess they changed too much for my liking and it lacks that precision of movement that I found so central to teh first two. Oh well.
Yea I'm with you. This game is so clunky and unresponsive compared to the last two.
Unless this is a super old version (doubtful).

LordCanti

I think I've got the new swinging mechanics down, which is what I wanted. As with last time, I'm not really in love with them, but I'll adapt.

I don't know if it's because I've got standard poise or what, but I've been feeling like I'm getting stun-locked by people after just one hit. It's like my guy decides that moving is for chumps and that he's just going to just kind of wobble for awhile. I've gotten plenty of people into that same state, which seems to happen even if you've got your shield up.

I joined the covenant that I forgot to last time; Is there anything to do once you've got it? I can summon phantoms again, even though I've beaten all the bosses, which is...weird, I guess. What would they do once I summoned them in? There's nothing left to beat.

Yea I'm with you. This game is so clunky and unresponsive compared to the last two.

It definitely feels clunky for some reason. I noticed it last time, but now that I've had a lot of time to PVP, it's definitely there. Something about the mechanics is stiffer than I like. It'll take getting used to.

Dex815

The whispers in the Chariot boss area after killing him creeps the fuck of me.

Is tiny Gren useful in beta?
I killed him.

Started out getting my ass kicked by the first area. got bored. invaded two other people's games. Found out that invading is 2000x more responsive than summoning. Got ass kicked. DESPAIR... but den it got betta...

Welp, beat the bones boss with the help of two random bros, one of which died halfway. wandered around for 10 minutes, came to LOCKED bonfire, wandered some more. Tried two summon two more bros, both came to my game... invisible. Could still collide with their bodies for some reason. They left. Met two glowing red sickle guys. Killed both, but died at the same time as the last one due to lag. Lost 17,000 souls... fuck. Game now stuck at loading screen. Gonna reboot.

Holy fuck, the start of this game is FUCKING HARD. Mage character is useless. Imagine hunter is too. Warrior is boss as fuck. Dual wielder has shitty shield, but is cool I guess.

Is there more?

LordCanti

The whispers in the Chariot boss area after killing him creeps the fuck of me.

Is tiny Gren useful in beta?
I killed him.

Feed him 6K souls to join a covenant. He also sells spells and stuff. Well, you feed his
ghost, I guess. Once you've killed him.

Soriku

This is an old build (the TGS demo has a better running animation for example). But I don't really think it feels clunky. I mean if you use a Zwei then sure, it's a big weapon and isn't swung that accurately, but with a longsword it's just fine.

The big noticeable change is that recovering stamina is harder then ever since you can't just put your shield up and heal up. Can't say I really like that but it does add a new dimension to the combat. You might run out of stamina while attacking and assume it's unresponsive due to how stamina works now, but it's not. At least if that's part of what you're getting at.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
SMH at people complaining about movement in an old beta build when its confirmed that in the newest build, movement looks much better.

Lucent

Feeling this way, too. I played all 2+ hours of the last test. I jumped in for tonight's round for 10-15 minutes. Just didn't feel like it. It just feels like it's been done by some other team. Like...going from DMC to DMC2 kind of "it looks like it but it doesn't feel right" Character doesn't have that kind of weight to him anymore. I dunno.

I'm hoping the end product is better, but this beta isn't really giving me a good first impression.

Booshka

Some of these invasions are laggy as hell.

Getting stun locked by a phantom 10 feet away isn't very fun.
Hoping this gets ironed out by launch.

I think as long as you are playing someone in the same region as you (NA, EU, JP) then it should be decent. The really laggy matches for me have been against people across continents and oceans.

Dex815

The only thing awful in the controls is that when you are locking a target and you attack while holding the left stick to move left, right or backwards, you attack in that direction. Is terrible :( I'm used from the other Souls games to keep moving while locking and attack when I'm still holding the stick. Someone else with this problem?

I know it can be useful at some point, but before you could simply unlock and attack that direction if you want, common that's what the lock is for, to lock the attacks to the target direction, not only to lock the camera, because anyway you can't almost see what is to your sides and behind you.

Dex815

lol, have not seen a boss, but I've seen 4 black phantoms.... are the bosses past them?

Both bosses have red phamtons before. One of them has 2 of the huge ass creatures blocking your way by surprise and the other one has other 4 (these are easier) and then one huge asshole at the door of the boss.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Wow, I managed to summon two brave souls for some jolly co-op and what happens?

We (they) take down the four red phantoms and we move onward to a bridge. They run over it and I run after them only to fall down in a hole in the bridge and die, lol.

My god, I felt so embarrassed doing that. Ah well. Can't know everything on your first run, I guess.

Danielsan

Logged in for a bit this morning, but sadly it seems I've already done everything there is to do during the initial two hour beta. It did however remind me that I should wait for the PC version because I sure as hell am not going to deal with this abysmal framerate.

dugdug

Banned
Feeling this way, too. I played all 2+ hours of the last test. I jumped in for tonight's round for 10-15 minutes. Just didn't feel like it. It just feels like it's been done by some other team. Like...going from DMC to DMC2 kind of "it looks like it but it doesn't feel right" Character doesn't have that kind of weight to him anymore. I dunno.

I'm hoping the end product is better, but this beta isn't really giving me a good first impression.

Yep. I'll say it: this is boring. Though, I think a big reason why I'm not feeling it is the area. Its too dark, and feels too narrow. Enemies are lacking in imaginative design, as well. Like, the very first enemies you see are regular-ass zombies? Come on.

luokyl

My god, I felt so embarrassed doing that. Ah well. Can't know everything on your first run, I guess.

Ah, I ran through that part fine with my first character as a mage. On my second playthrough I got so used to
having the bridge lowered that I ran straight through and died
.. Even more embarrassing when it happens on the second time.

Dex815

Ok they need to tweak where the invaders appear... I was fighting with one red and the invader appeared in my back... he just had to press R1 to backstab me...

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Ah, I ran through that part fine with my first character as a mage. On my second playthrough I got so used to
having the bridge lowered that I ran straight through and died
.. Even more embarrassing when it happens on the second time.

Not the bridge that lowers though, another bridge with a hole in it.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Finally beat the 2 bosses (thanks to Rain84e and sloppydisk :p).

I still find the animations a bit off, and the framerate is still unlocked. Can't wait for it though, and it shall look fiiine on my PC:

10774187913_22dc6a2f9c_o.png

10773916965_5326f7acbd_o.png

10773966446_977667f9a2_o.png

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So we're now in high difficulty mode. That's kind of unexpected.

LordCanti

Falling to your death is definitely the #1 killer in this demo. It's crazy dark and no one knows there is a torch.

I ran into my first AI freeze just before quitting. I had two guys summoned in to help me fight a red phantom (just because I love the rage messages I get when they are dispatched by three dudes at once) and an enemy just....stopped. No movement, no health bar, just...there. Hopefully that's been ironed out.

SMH at people complaining about movement in an old beta build when its confirmed that in the newest build, movement looks much better.

It's not just movement though. There are times where I've still got stamina and my guy doesn't want to do anything (move, block, etc). It's a generally heaviness to everything that wasn't there in DS.

Edit: I turn it off and they enable a high difficulty mode? fuuuuuckkkk. Turn back on damn you PS3.

zma1013

I think the controls r much more responsive than they were in Dark Souls and more in parity with what they had in Demons. I like it.

Top Bottom