• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Yeah, I'm harsher than most people on the Sonic Adventure games (I think Sonic Adventure 2 is an abomination that really started Sonic's downward spiral), but I very much enjoyed the music in the games. Or, rather, I enjoyed the music that didn't have crappy lyrics. Which is to say, every song with lyrics.

Christopher said:
I LOVE Jun Senoue's work in Sonic Adventure one and two awesome he's part of the team

Shame they ditched him from Sonic 360, it shows.

"Live and Learn" has many fans? I thought Open Your Heart would have more.

It seems he wasn't listed on the composer list when the site opened, since he now appears on the list after Tanaka.

Christopher

Iam Canadian said:
Yeah, I'm harsher than most people on the Sonic Adventure games (I think Sonic Adventure 2 is an abomination that really started Sonic's downward spiral), but I very much enjoyed the music in the games. Or, rather, I enjoyed the music that didn't have crappy lyrics. Which is to say, every song with lyrics.

Oh come on...the songs were so cheesy that they were fun.

Iam Canadian

Sharp said:
That's the sort of logic that results in the SatSR soundtrack.

Even the Sonic and the Secret Rings soundtrack had some songs with redeeming qualities. The Levitating Ruins and Night Palace levels had some more or less decent tunes.

The real horrible Sonic soundtrack is Shadow the Hedgehog. Now that's one I'd rather forget.

Sciz

SA1 had great vocal themes. SA2 then went and turned them into a mockery of their former selves, and the only good new ones were Live & Learn and E.G.G.M.A.N.

I just noticed that the sparks trailing behind Super Sonic are straight out of the classic titles. This is awesome, but also made me realize just how much closer the Smash iteration of Sonic is to his origins than his own games recently, and I don't know whether to be happy or sad.

Iam Canadian said:
The real horrible Sonic soundtrack is Shadow the Hedgehog. Now that's one I'd rather forget.

This is fact. Senoue can rock, but not when he's doing an entire soundtrack on his own.

Jiggy

-Merry Christmas? Well, it's certainly a double update: the 28th one, in fact.

-Final smashes move to 20 updates, tied with stages and where music would have been--except that music looked at the old news final smash update coming up behind it, said "lol no, race is on, sucker," and advanced to 21.

-The number of series without music updates is waning fast: just F-Zero, Mario, and Nintendo DS to go now. Same is true for the copycat final smash update type--only Snake, Zelda, and Zero Suit Samus remain.

-Sonic seems to be playing the role of the hare to the tortoise--every time his series gets an update, he gets two or more, so he's at 5 now, but because he's been asleep since October 11th, that's still behind everybody else except Yoshi, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, Ice Climbers, and Nintendo DS.

-Lots of rumbling and shifting about today--the five least recent update types become character profile, how to play, Poke Ball, assist trophy, and stage, and the five least-recently-updated series become F-Zero, Yoshi, Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing, and Nintendo DS.

-43 days of updates without a character. In real-time, this would be two months to the day since King Dedede was October 25th, and I think some of you are getting restless and ready to rise up in mutiny. But, there are only 22 days of updates until the Japanese release date. Chins up and such. :D

jman2050

Holy Order Sol said:
Hey, I love Angel Island, but I still want GHZ to be somwhere in this game.

Guys, there's one tiny problem with GHZ or any other songs from the game showing up.

Sega doesn't own them. DCT does.

Iam Canadian

Right on cue. I was just wondering where Jiggy's stat post was. The pictures are brilliant as always.

So where does Angel Island fit in your ranking of music updates?

Sciz

Even the thought of having Senoue remix the GHZ BGM can't make me want to see it in this. It's iconic, sure, but between Sega and the fanbase it's completely worn out and I won't shed any tears if I never see another checkered hillside again.

Iam Canadian

jman2050 said:
Guys, there's one tiny problem with GHZ or any other songs from the game showing up.

SEGA was able to use Green Hill in Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Battle. They used Scrap Brain, the invincibility theme, and Star Light in Sonic Advance.

I'm pretty sure SEGA has free rein with the Sonic 1 soundtrack.

Aras

-o- Sakurai hates us!!! he wants everyone to go to hell u________u

maybe he forgot to mention that Simon Belmont is going to be in smash cause Santa arrived at this home just the moment he was going to upload the screenshots of belmont T_T lol

need to sleep!!

Sciz

jman2050 said:

Sega's been using Sonic 1 music here and there since 2001. If they don't own the soundtrack outright, they've got a long term license to it.

Sciz said:
Even the thought of having Senoue remix the GHZ BGM can't make me want to see it in this. It's iconic, sure, but between Sega and the fanbase it's completely worn out and I won't shed any tears if I never see another checkered hillside again.

I don't care how many times it's been used. Even if we count Sunset Hill.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
Right on cue. I was just wondering where Jiggy's stat post was. The pictures are brilliant as always.

So where does Angel Island fit in your ranking of music updates?
It's actually my fourth least favorite, but that's because I love almost everything when it comes to music. >_>
Sonic's final smash is definitely at the bottom of the heap, though, although that's mostly because we already knew what it was. As opposed to, say, Bowser's final smash, which was supremely awesome only because at the time we didn't even know that there would be final smashes more complex than just some super blast or attack combo.

Bowser's final smash > King Dedede's > Pokemon Trainer > Yoshi > Meta Knight > Fox > Wario > Ice Climbers > Kirby > Peach > Pit > Lucas > Mario > Samus > Diddy Kong > Ike > Link > Pikachu > Donkey Kong > Sonic

Sciz

Sunset Hill counts, and that isn't even going into the multitude of zones in the series that have borrowed its graphical style. It's up there with SMB1's underground theme as a piece of gaming history that I'd like to see vanish for the next decade or so.

Sciz said:
Sunset Hill counts, and that isn't even going into the multitude of zones in the series that have borrowed its graphical style. It's up there with SMB1's underground theme as a piece of gaming history that I'd like to see vanish for the next decade or so.

Why the hell would you want that... I was about to mention SMB1 1-1 music actually.

Iam Canadian

I agree with Sciz. I'm sick of both Green Hill and the SMB underground theme. Yes, they're both classic, iconic songs, but they get reused far too frequently while better songs go neglected.

Aras said:
-o- Sakurai hates us!!! he wants everyone to go to hell u________u

maybe he forgot to mention that Simon Belmont is going to be in smash cause Santa arrived at this home just the moment he was going to upload the screenshots of belmont T_T lol

need to sleep!!
Holy hell, shut up.

Jiggy

I never even liked the SMB1 underground theme in the first place, sad to say. If anybody's annoyed that it keeps popping back up whereas the likes of the SMB1 water theme and the SMB3 water theme and the SM64 water theme are fading into oblivion, it's me. :(

Proven

Hmm, if there's nothing for Christmas or New Years, then they are most definitely not going to reveal a new character before the release date. Once New Year's comes I'll be 100% sure.

Jiggy

Proven said:
Hmm, if there's nothing for Christmas or New Years, then they are most definitely not going to reveal a new character before the release date. Once New Year's comes I'll be 100% sure.
Well, I don't know if it's ever to say something's most definite when it's Sakurai. But maybe I'm just deluding myself into happiness and the belief in potential. >_>

jman2050

Sciz said:
Sega's been using Sonic 1 music here and there since 2001. If they don't own the soundtrack outright, they've got a long term license to it.

We don't know what kind of licensing terms Sega has with DCT, if any. DCT does own every piece of music in Sonic 1 and 2, which is why they've been rarely used since then. In fact, the Sonic Spinball team had to change the theme song of the game because the developers didn't know that Sega didn't actually own the tune (and at the time, they were unwilling to pay DCT's licensing fee). More pertinent to smash brothers, Sega may or may not have a license with DCT, but that hardly matters since Nintendo would still need a license themselves.

Is it too late to fool you guys with this?

7xmi7ms.png

ZeoVGM

Banned
That music rocked.

Please people, stop hyping this fucking site up like you SHOULD be getting huge megatons.

It's never been like that, but you're just building it up like you deserve better updates or something. :p

Iam Canadian

Well guys, I'm out for the night, so I'll just take this opportunity to say Merry Christmas to all of you. I'm going out of town tomorrow, so I may not be able to visit the thread as often as I'd like, but I'll still try to pop in for the updates.

Until then. :D

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Crushed said:
I think people have forgotten that the updates pre-November weren't nearly as good as they seem to remember, so now every update gets a "meh" from them.

I honestly think that if you switched the updates for December and a pre-November month, people would still be saying "these updates aren't nearly as good as before!"
The only reason why people are getting annoyed is because its been so long since there has been a character update. Before November, we used to get one every once in a while, but now its been almost two months without one.

I'm surpriesed that people still expect to get a character update. Why the hell would sakurai wait two months to reveal another character update? If he had anymore he wanted to unveil he would have done so instead of giving us smaller updates.

I said it a while ago, but I think we wont be getting anymore character updates. The only time I think we might get a character update is on the day of the last update. It isnt a bad thing at all. So far 23 characters have been unvieled, which is quite a lot. The characters unvieled so far are almost certain to be the default characters. Now if thats the case, how can anyone be complaining? There's a lot of characters to choose from and there is bound to be quite a few unlockable characters.

I'm glad no other characters have been unvieled. I dont want to know who the unlockable characters are; that would ruin the fun of unlocking them. Id rather play the game and not know who the unlockable's are are.

Jiggy

I'm still holding out for Captain Falcon at the very least. I don't see why he would go from being unlockable to default and now back to unlockable again. Even Ness, who also went from unlockable to default, would at least have an excuse to be unlockable since it could force people to try Lucas, but there's no alternative same-series character for Captain Falcon...

psycho_snake

Captain falcon is the only person who will be unvieled, if any. I got the impression that falcon is one of the most popular characters in melee, so it does seem odd that he isnt one of the starting characters.

psycho_snake

Since we got a music update, I thought I'd post how I rank the music thats been put up on dojo.

Zelda: oot theme > Brawl main theme > Fire Emblem theme > MGS4 love theme > Porky’s theme > Space Armarda > The Underworld > Boss Battle music > Pokemon theme > Sonic theme > Meta Knight ‘s revenge > Ice Climbers > Animal Crossing theme > Ashley’s theme > X: Tunnel theme > Yoshi’s story > Donkey Kong

duffey

Crushed said:
I think people have forgotten that the updates pre-November weren't nearly as good as they seem to remember, so now every update gets a "meh" from them.

I honestly think that if you switched the updates for December and a pre-November month, people would still be saying "these updates aren't nearly as good as before!"
I think since Sakurai showed off the cool features of the game so fast that a lot of people were expecting way way too much from the updates. I think we may be done with megatons as it were, and that's fine with me. More characters being shown would be nice, but I appreciate the updates all the same. It's refreshing.

Cowie

OH COME ON
IT'S CHRISTMAS
GOD DAMMIT.

it could've at least been an update on something we hadn't seen very clear videos of, several times.

It would be very strange if Sonic's level wasn't green hill or emerald hill but angel island.

What would be even better would be an S3K level where you start out in angel island. Then like the fire emblem level the ground collapses away and you fall into hydrocity. Then after a while water blasts you back up and you're in marble garden.. and so on.

That song IS HOT.

Omg so great, I was all giddy listening to it - such amazing memories from playing Sonic 3 + Knuckles with my little brother.

Thank you Smash Bros. ;( I love you so much. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom