• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

Jiggy37 said:
Well... There are shake smashes. Of course, they're optional. And also so minor that it would probably be disingenuous to run an ad based around them, but--

--come to think of it, I don't watch TV at all, so I don't know the answer to this: did they do a "Wii would like to play" commercial for Galaxy even though the waggle's really minor?

yeah it was in a movie theater

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, I know Brawl has a lot going for it (mostly by being both a casual and hardcore game, unlike Galaxy/Twilight Princess)--and I follow the Sales-Age threads pretty ardently. I'm just saying I really hope it turns out well and proves that every dollar spent in development was worth it, not just 80% of the dollars or whatever. In other words, I want Brawl to do even better than Melee in order to justify the (probable) extra costs that were needed versus Melee.

Well, if you examine Smash's history...

The first game was a rather low-budget release for the 64, but it did so outstandingly well, that by the time the sequel for GC was announced, it of course got more funding (though Sakurai left towards the end of development, which probably screwed the game up in some other respects).

So, it's not as if Nintendo doesn't have precedents. They know Smash sells well, so I would think that they would be willing to put the extra bit of oomph for the advertising end, as well as the development and production ends, because, in the end, they know that this game has what it takes to eclipse Melee, and probably be the best selling game on the Wii console for years to come.

The Brawl commercial will be a "We would like to play" with the two guys showing up at a slumber party or a birthday party, and a bunch of kids battling out.

Perhaps showing off different controller methods (one kid has a sideways wii-mote, one with wiimote + nunchuck, one using a classic controller) and a bunch of kids laughing and a pillow fight or something in the background.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Even though I said Sonic's final smash in a joking way for a shitty update, hearing the music really reminds me just how legendary it is for those of us that remember Sonic and Mario's bitter rivalry to have them both in Brawl. It is even better to see that the team is really paying attention to even tiny details of third party characters in order to make sure that they are true to their background and have a real presence. As for tonight, I'm going to predict a new stage.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
The Lamonster said:
sonic_071225b-l.jpg
hyp5Fsonic-1.gif

i need a high-res verison stat

NTom64

I do believe I shall download that remix album :D The opening theme of S+K sounds quite good, just from a quick listen to the demo of it :D

[Nintex]

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, I know Brawl has a lot going for it (mostly by being both a casual and hardcore game, unlike Galaxy/Twilight Princess)--and I follow the Sales-Age threads pretty ardently. I'm just saying I really hope it turns out well and proves that every dollar spent in development was worth it, not just 80% of the dollars or whatever.
I sure hope so, I really like the "new" Nintendo that's spending money. Just listen to the music of Super Mario Galaxy and look at it's gorgeous presentation. Not to mention the countless CG movies in Smash Bros. It seems that Nintendo is finally using their money to build better and more epic games.

TreIII

Cedric said:
I've always preferred Angel Island Zone Act 2, but I'm thankful for what we have. Now I'm hoping for Flying Battery Zone.

Like the guy told me earlier, it seems that the music segues into Act 2 towards the end of the clip. So, I'm thinking that Act 2 is a part of the overall mix of the song, which I like. :D

Any way...for tonight, I'm going with either Assist Trophy, or one more character unveil for the finalized starting roster. I would think that Sakurai would bless with at least one more character unveil to hold us over for the final stretch...

thats my ringtone :D im not sure if i could take that much goodness, but ill try

im sad that game and watch is gone though, really sad. i bet his character model would have been so bad ass...well, that was a joke, but still...im sad since he was my fav

Jiggy

Day-after-Christmas megaton for sure. Predicting the Event Match Creator.

abstract alien said:
im sad that game and watch is gone though, really sad.
There's nothing to say he's gone; actually, it's much more likely that he's not gone. I don't know if you've been following the thread, but basically, each series has a logo with a GIF that has a different number (in the filename) and it works out like this:

#1-11: From the original SSB on N64
#12: Fire Emblem
#13: ?
#14: Ice Climber
#15-20: Not introduced until Brawl

It seems that 12-14 are the series that were introduced in Melee, and Game & Watch is the only one not accounted for.

KevinCow

Banned
abstract alien said:
im sad that game and watch is gone though, really sad.
People are still going with the, "________ hasn't been revealed yet, therefore he isn't in the game, ohnoez!" line of thought?

KevinCow said:
People are still going with the, "________ hasn't been revealed yet, therefore he isn't in the game, ohnoez!" line of thought?
Why was Captain Falcon removed!?! WWHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY!!? AND GANNONDORF WILL NOT BE IN THE GAME! WTF, SAKURAI?! >:[

I predict an item for tonight. Or some new feature/game mode

Jiggy37 said:
Day-after-Christmas megaton for sure. Predicting the Event Match Creator.

There's nothing to say he's gone; actually, it's much more likely that he's not gone. I don't know if you've been following the thread, but basically, each series has a logo with a GIF that has a different number (in the filename) and it works out like this:

#1-11: From the original SSB on N64
#12: Fire Emblem
#13: ?
#14: Ice Climber
#15-20: Not introduced until Brawl

It seems that 12-14 are the series that were introduced in Melee, and Game & Watch is the only one not accounted for.

youve made my day...bestest christmas evuh confirmed

KevinCow said:

not really that, i was just under the impression that he wasnt a shoe in like luigi or glove(as far as bosses). he wasnt exactly the most loved of characters, so i had reason to worry.

abstract alien said:
not really that, i was just under the impression that he wasnt a shoe in like luigi or glove(as far as bosses). he wasnt exactly the most loved of characters, so i had reason to worry.
True, many people had him up on the chopping block as "characters cut due to lack of popularity," but it seemed Ice Climbers being revealed put that theory to rest.

I doubt we'll know for sure if he's included until after the game is released, but I'd say his chances are pretty good. The same cannot be said for Roy, sadly... :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So I didn't check the update until earlier this evening, (merry Christmas, BTW, Gaffers) and I must say that Angel Island arrangement is teh hotness. =) And even if we already knew about Super Sonic, we still got sweet screenshots. Has anyone considered that Sakurai hinted at Knuckles being an unlockable character, though? I mean how perfect would he be for this game?

TreIII

Danthrax said:
Has anyone considered that Sakurai hinted at Knuckles being an unlockable character, though? I mean how perfect would he be for this game?

Assist trophy? Possibly so. I wouldn't be surprised if both he and Tails got AT slots, so that Sonic won't be by his lonesome, and he could still meet enough of the "friend requirements" for an in-game appearance. :lol

But as a playable? I'd think not. Thus far, we have no indication whatsoever that the 3rd party companies would be allowed to double-dip. Otherwise, chances are, my pining for the likes of Simon Belmont and/or Goemon would have some merit... ;_;

Danthrax said:
Has anyone considered that Sakurai hinted at Knuckles being an unlockable character, though? I mean how perfect would he be for this game?

his glide would be interesting...and id wonder if he would have the ability to attach to the upper portion of cliffs to keep from falling....hmmmm....

i still want phoenix wright...

"Take that!!!" finger point for the smash attack
"Hold it!!!" for the grab
"Objection!!!!" counter with briefcase like peach/toad counter
hell, they could get crazy and have ghost maya provide his up+b for all i care
maybe next time

Meloche

A Link to the Snitch said:
I'm expecting Knuckles, Tails, and Eggman as ATs, with all three having a role in the plot.
I think Eggman / Robotnik is more likely to be just an SSE boss character [ala Petey], but I could definitely see the other two as Assists. At least now that we know it's a possibility, thanks to the Gray Fox AT update.

I'll go with my Game Mode prediction again for tonight... we haven't had one yet this week and they seem to be one of the most common updates of late. And besides, there's still quite a few possibilities for them that haven't been revealed. VS Mode types [Stock/Time/Bonus/Etc], All-Star, Multi-Man Melee, and some new ones hopefully.

Meloche said:
I think Eggman / Robotnik is more likely to be just an SSE boss character [ala Petey], but I could definitely see the other two as Assists. At least now that we know it's a possibility, thanks to the Gray Fox AT update.

I'll go with my Game Mode prediction again for tonight... we haven't had one yet this week and they seem to be one of the most common updates of late. And besides, there's still quite a few possibilities for them that haven't been revealed. VS Mode types [Stock/Time/Bonus/Etc], All-Star, Multi-Man Melee, and some new ones hopefully.

1. Hey, he could be a boss and an AT.

2. Wouldn't it be Multi-Man Brawl this time around?

Jiggy

For a serious prediction (as opposed to the Event Match Creator), let's say... wall jumping. I'd say crawling, but someone else already called that.

Jiggy

Predicting Kirby's Dream Land music medley plus Rick Assist Trophy plus Mint Leaf item
I'd prefer Rick as a full-on item that you can ride around, but I wouldn't mind his Fire power for an assist trophy either. And it's probably not too unlikely since they already had a trophy model in Melee. :D

Meloche

1. Hey, he could be a boss and an AT.
Oh, for sure. But I was thinking that two Sonic related ATs would be enough, which is why I suggested he be a boss. We'd need a MGS boss for SSE then as well, but I'm not complaining. :p
2. Wouldn't it be Multi-Man Brawl this time around?
Heh, probably. Featuring Miis!

Believe.

Meloche said:
Oh, for sure. But I was thinking that two Sonic related ATs would be enough, which is why I suggested he be a boss. We'd need a MGS boss for SSE then as well, but I'm not complaining. :p

Heh, probably. Featuring Miis!

Believe.
Oh man, that would be all kinds of awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom