• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
ShockingAlberto said:
I still don't understand why every new character has to be female.

Basically because Smash is a total sausagefest and/or no SC IV or DOA Whatever on the Wii.

Besides, the whole Female issue is a red herring anyways.

Lyn would have been nice, but I'm in it for Hector.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Firestorm said:
When Regiggas comes out there should be a message like Red's Final Smash where it goes "Regiggas can't get it going due to its slow start" :lol

Actually that same Smashboard topic states (secondhand info, like the rest of it) that Regigigas starts off slower and weaker, then eventually speeds up and becomes stronger over time.

I can't wait to see him in Brawl though. Regigigas is absolutely massive in the Pokemon games. :eek:

Seriously, you should just admit when you are wrong like a true gentleman. Don't make the rest of the thread post a metric fuckton of FE 7's awesome character art to prove just how wrong you are.
leafha3.jpg

Jiggy

JonathanEx said:
And for the doubters, Jiggy probably actually figured out the exact amount of charm lost mathematically.
Well, see, 14 out of the 19 screenshots from that update would have been old news, which would have been 73.68% charm lost, but the two pictures with Zero Suit Samus and the one with Kirby eating Mario would still be decently cool in their own way, so if we assume that each of those would retain 55% of their quality then we'd be left with the equivalent of 6.65 good screenshots out of 19, leaving us with 35% of the charm retained and 65% lost.

I didn't do any of this until after you posted, and had to come up with a way to make the numbers match my made-up 65% figure.

Iam Canadian said:
Edit: Regarding Samus, I think she's pretty even-handed. The 2D Metroid titles are actually good sellers in Japan, I believe. (I'm sure Jiggy will have the exact numbers, of course)
For Sales-Age we need someone like JoshuaJSlone in here. >_>

Commenting on the female issue in a moment.

RedBoot

ShockingAlberto said:
Takamaru is actually my pick for the uber-hidden character.

Sukapon's the only correct answer.

Takamaru's more of a Marth/Roy "Who the hell is this cool guy with the sword" sort of character.

Scribble

Takamaru would also complete the Famicom Disk System trio of Zelda, Metroid and Nazo no Murasame-Jo!

RedBoot said:
Sukapon's the only correct answer.

I agree. Sukapon is:

a. Very strange
b. Star of Nintendo's very first fighting game

TreIII

Man God said:
I still don't think he gets it, EVERYONE loves FE 7. Sure, not many people love FE 6 or 8, but there ain't no one who doesn't love FE 7.

Seriously, you should just admit when you are wrong like a true gentleman. Don't make the rest of the thread post a metric fuckton of FE 7's awesome character art to prove just how wrong you are.

Well, let's put it this way...

Citing from cvxfreak's sales data post:

Sales listings of all JPN GBA games of all time - from latest Nintendo Dream (or at least, circa 10-21-2005)

26. Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi (Sword of Seals) - 379K
49. Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken (US Fire Emblem) - 265K
54. Fire Emblem: Seima no Kouseki (Sacred Stones) - 253K

- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68105

Sure, they still sold well, but from the sales data, the trend is clear enough. After Sword of Seals, the GBA games sold less in Japan, with each passing game. Interest was faltering, and, at least if the rabid people at 2ch are any indicator, it had at least SOME WHAT to do with how the JP fans didn't like how the games were being more tailored for the US.

Even Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn didn't do as well as some would hope

Fire Emblem: Souen no Kiseki GCN 156,413 (2005)
- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94273

Fire Emblem: Akatsuki no Megami (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) Wii (2/22/07) - through July 1/07 153,397
- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128989

Compared to how FE used to pull in like 400,000+ units in Japan, back during the SFC days, it's sad to see how it's "fallen" in the eyes of the Japanese. But I'm sure that Nintendo and most people could care less, since the world-wide sales are more than enough to balance it out.

But in any case, I stand by the data given. If we go by that, then it's easy enough to see how the Japanese interest has been dying in the series, ever since FE6 did a lot to turn people off from the series, seemingly for good.

Jiggy

Re: females in Brawl, the number one reason I think they're requested so often is because most of the ones even remotely eligible are less generic than the males who are also eligible. Whether it's Midna, Dixie, Ashley, Micaiah, or even--yeah--a certain blue fox, they've got some potentially new and interesting mechanics in them. There's maybe one male magic user eligible for Brawl at best (Ganondorf), but three females right there. And no male staff users are floating around waiting to be put on the roster, and no males to whack stuff with an enormous ponytail. I think these are all more interesting to a lot of people than another sword fighter or hand-to-hand guy.

And it's not even true just for female characters, but sidekick characters in general, which is why people want to see the likes of Tingle throwing maps or whatever (for example), or even just less famous characters like Olimar with his Pikmin. It's also why a load of people love Mr. Game & Watch's wacky moveset and the idea of Pokemon Trainer's unique switching mechanic, but not--say--Donkey Kong, who's a really ordinary heavyweight who punches things hard like any other heavyweight in any other fighting game anywhere. Even Ganondorf's Melee moveset gets some hate in this thread, and it's not just because he's a clone but because they could have done something a lot more interesting than the punches and kicks that everybody else can do also.

I mean, we've had people in this very thread holding out for stuff like a playable Shyguy just because there's so much potential creativity there from Yoshi's Island alone. I was holding out for playable Jill until she was revealed as an assist trophy, because--well, she controls a robot with drills. There wouldn't be anything like it in Smash. And even now I'm hoping they do the Animal Crossing character (if there is one) justice instead of the usual hand-to-hand combat used for human fighters.

All that said, I think (hope) that by now everybody realizes the only criteria being used to determine who gets into Brawl are that the characters are either iconic or significant leads in a lesser-known series (Pit, for example). But the above is at least my rationale for wanting more females with no chance to get in and sidekicks who also have no chance to get in, and I'm pretty sure the same is true for a lot of others.

Jiggy

TreIII said:
If we go by that, then it's easy enough to see how the Japanese interest has been dying in the series, ever since FE6 did a lot to turn people off from the series, seemingly for good.
I can't remember if I've said this anywhere before--probably not, for fear of getting lambasted--but I'd kind of like to see the meltdowns if the next non-remake FE was, like, Fire Emblem 11 Hyper Genki Edition.
You know, AW goes post-apocalyptic in an attempt to appeal to the West (its current best territory) while FE goes cutesy in an attempt to appeal to the East (its former best territory), or something like that, as part of a grand Intelligent Systems experiment.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
I can't remember if I've said this anywhere before--probably not, for fear of getting lambasted--but I'd kind of like to see the meltdowns if the next non-remake FE was, like, Fire Emblem 11 Hyper Genki Edition.
You know, AW goes post-apocalyptic in an attempt to appeal to the West (its current best territory) while FE goes cutesy in an attempt to appeal to the East (its former best territory), or something like that, as part of a grand Intelligent Systems experiment.

Heh, it would be kind of funny. Though all bets would be off if the Mamkutes' designs got SD-ified too. :lol

Though personally, I think the most that a majority of JP players want, is to basically have the series go back to having its sheer difficulty back; FE5 style levels of frustration. 2D would probably be nice too.

So, it'll be interesting to see how FE: DS will fair, once it comes out. The fact that it brings back Marth will probably do a lot to bring back all those who have been predominantly ignoring the series lately, that much is definite. But, Marth's star-power aside, it will take more than that in order to get 'em to say around.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've now played all of the FE games besides 2, and I must say that if the Japanese truely craved difficulty than they should have really lapped up Path of Radiance. It's hardest difficulty is tear inducing and at least the equal of five.

TreIII

Man God said:
I've now played all of the FE games besides 2, and I must say that if the Japanese truely craved difficulty than they should have really lapped up Path of Radiance. It's hardest difficulty is tear inducing and at least the equal of five.

It was a case of "too little, too late". By the time of Path of Radiance, JP fan interest was down, and the fact that it was on the GC probably didn't help matters.

I mean, think of it like how we in the West view Star Fox now-a-days. By all sakes and reason, Command probably WAS the best thing to happen to SF since like SF64. But how many were going to be willing to care (or more importantly, buy it), giving how a good number of people were disappointed in SF: Dino Planet, and then later again, in Assault?

RedBoot

TreIII said:
I mean, think of it like how we in the West view Star Fox now-a-days. By all sakes and reason, Command probably WAS the best thing to happen to SF since like SF64. But how many were going to be willing to care (or more importantly, buy it), giving how a good number of people were disappointed in SF: Dino Planet, and then later again, in Assault?

While I can't comment on Command's gameplay since I never played it, I read a summary of its storyline and endings and they made me gag more than Dino Planet and Assault combined, and I actually played those.

Although the F-Zero ending was pretty cool.

Jiggy

TreIII said:
It was a case of "too little, too late". By the time of Path of Radiance, JP fan interest was down, and the fact that it was on the GC probably didn't help matters.

I played Command for like half an hour and hated it. Inverted or non-inverted controls. :(
But yeah, your point is worthwhile. It's like the Mana series--even if another great one is ever produced, probably nobody will notice except reviewers who are sent free copies.

TreIII

I didn't say anything about Command being actually good, just that it was, relatively, the best thing to happen to the series, after the odd spells that were DP and Assault. :D

I mean, on paper, at least, it sounded like a good package deal...it was back to being in Arwings solely, and it even utilized some aspects from the much vaunted, and nigh-legendary, Star Fox 2. It sounded like a godsend, after what we went through.

Too bad that it didn't quite deliver...not that it much mattered, because the majority were burned out on Fox any way.

RedBoot

I actually liked Assault, to some extent. The storyline (and Krystal's involvement) were tolerable, and what little time you did spend in the Arwings was pretty good. If it had just been made with closer to 80-90% Arwing missions, it would have been really nice. As it was, it made for a decent rental, but I don't think I'd buy it.

I just wanna see a true sequel to Star Fox 64, but I don't think you could make such a game for full price these days.

Jiggy

RedBoot said:
I just wanna see a true sequel to Star Fox 64, but I don't think you could make such a game for full price these days.
Wii Ware it is, then, but hopefully with Wiimote-only controls merely optional.

Jiggy37 said:
Re: females in Brawl, the number one reason I think they're requested so often is because most of the ones even remotely eligible are less generic than the males who are also eligible. Whether it's Midna, Dixie, Ashley, Micaiah, or even--yeah--a certain blue fox, they've got some potentially new and interesting mechanics in them. There's maybe one male magic user eligible for Brawl at best (Ganondorf), but three females right there. And no male staff users are floating around waiting to be put on the roster, and no males to whack stuff with an enormous ponytail. I think these are all more interesting to a lot of people than

And it's not even true just for female characters, but sidekick characters in general, which is why people want to see the likes of Tingle throwing maps or whatever (for example), or even just less famous characters like Olimar with his Pikmin. It's also why a load of people love Mr. Game & Watch's wacky moveset and the idea of Pokemon Trainer's unique switching mechanic, but not--say--Donkey Kong, who's a really ordinary heavyweight who punches things hard like any other heavyweight in any other fighting game anywhere. Even Ganondorf's Melee moveset gets some hate in this thread, and it's not just because he's a clone but because they could have done something a lot more interesting than the punches and kicks that everybody else can do also.

I mean, we've had people in this very thread holding out for stuff like a playable Shyguy just because there's so much potential creativity there from Yoshi's Island alone. I was holding out for playable Jill until she was revealed as an assist trophy, because--well, she controls a robot with drills. There wouldn't be anything like it in Smash. And even now I'm hoping they do the Animal Crossing character (if there is one) justice instead of the usual hand-to-hand combat used for human fighters.

All that said, I think (hope) that by now everybody realizes the only criteria being used to determine who gets into Brawl are that the characters are either iconic or significant leads in a lesser-known series (Pit, for example). But the above is at least my rationale for wanting more females with no chance to get in and sidekicks who also have no chance to get in, and I'm pretty sure the same is true for a lot of others.
See, this is logical. That's wanting a character in that happens to be female.

But most of what I see, and most of what goes on in this thread, is "I SURE HOPE THE NEXT CHARACTER ISN'T MALE, NO MATTER WHO IT IS." It's damn near embarrassing to read.

I'm guessing you played the Japanese version then. The American Path of Radiance gave us easy mode instead, and toned down Hard difficulty to be more like a normal difficulty.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
KittenMaster said:
I'm guessing you played the Japanese version then. The American Path of Radiance gave us easy mode instead, and toned down Hard difficulty to be more like a normal difficulty.

Both actually, and yes, they did. American Hard mode is somwhere in between Japanese normal and whatever the hell they called it (Maniac, I think?)

US PoR is still a decently hard game on hard.

Jiggy

One week and one month remain until the NA release of Brawl. If it had been the original release date, this would be the equivalent of October 27th. Let us mourn the loss and celebrate the release soon.

Also--and more the reason I came back to post this--there are just a few hours and two days left until we can start predicting the next update again. I can't be the only one excited about this, can I?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jiggy37 said:
One week and one month remain until the NA release of Brawl. If it had been the original release date, this would be the equivalent of October 27th. Let us mourn the loss and celebrate the release soon.

Also--and more the reason I came back to post this--there are just a few hours and two days left until we can start predicting the next update again. I can't be the only one excited about this, can I?

I'm predicting something right now.

Something so amazing that its almost enough to make a man cry.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
I bet they return with a megaton update. And I bet we get megatons on the frequent again.

My guess is that December was a lost month with updates due to the delay. He'll now pimp January with multiple megatons to hype up the release.

But all may be uncovered with the EGM cover story. Has there been any word on this yet? GamePro is putting it on their cover too, though they never get anything important.

Jiggy

Man God said:
I'm predicting something right now.

Something so amazing that its almost enough to make a man cry.
Yay statistics page! :D

ggnoobIGN said:
But all may be uncovered with the EGM cover story. Has there been any word on this yet?
Not that I know of, but thanks for reminding me of this. Gotta be on the lookout.

RedBoot

ggnoobIGN said:
But all may be uncovered with the EGM cover story. Has there been any word on this yet? GamePro is putting it on their cover too, though they never get anything important.

I forget when EGM starts showing up, it should be pretty soon, I think. I got a free subscription a while back so it's coming to me eventually, though I expect it'll show up online long before then.

At any rate, after the Corocoro fiasco, I'm not expecting much from any magazine feature.

TenshiOni said:
So I played some F-Zero GX tonight.

Does anyone think Captain Falcon's theme from that game might make it into Brawl?

I think any major score from any game will make it into Brawl.
I mean, they have dozens of music artists involved, plus the ability to change what music plays.
Seriously, I'm surprised this game can even fit on a regular DVD9.

gcfan2k5

AceBandage said:
I think any major score from any game will make it into Brawl.
I mean, they have dozens of music artists involved, plus the ability to change what music plays.
Seriously, I'm surprised this game can even fit on a regular DVD9.

They probably encode the music in something like 128k variable bitrate OGG, you can fit over 100 songs in 4GB at 128k (assuming 4 minute songs).

RedBoot

Jiggy37 said:

Wow. You've managed to simultaneously amaze and frighten me once again.

At any rate, Falcon's theme is pretty awesome and should definitely be in. If the goofy awesome Sonic songs can make it in, so can the F-Zero ones. All this has actually made me want to hunt down a cheap used copy of F-Zero GX and play it again. I actually still own it, I just have no earthly idea where the hell it is right now. It's probably for the best though, Story Mode would just make me cry again.

Rambaldi

I am playing Kirby's Dream Land 2 right now, and I def want Rick and Coo in as AT. Heh.

And I'd also like to throw out that if an Animal Crossing character is in, I would love for him to turn whoever he picks up for a throw into one of the little item leaf things. I would only grab as him if that were the case. :)

Jiggy

A Wave Race level would be pretty--

*considers this*

--much like Metroid levels and probably suck, actually. No wonder they never went through with the wave idea for Great Bay last time around.

TreIII

If they could do it, and pull it off, power to them.

But personally, I would want some more stages from rather obscure Ninty franchises. I mean, even if Takamaru and Sukapon couldn't make it (and I would really hope that the opposite would be true), that shouldn't stop Sakurai and crew from implementing their worlds as stages, right...? :D

Rambaldi

Jiggy37 said:
Apparently there were going to be waves in Great Bay that could wash you away. No idea where I read it, though, so I could be wrong. >_>

Oh... I was hoping there was some blog floating around with beta Melee info or something. :(

Jiggy

Maybe it's like those early shots that were floating around for Hyrule Temple where there was an extra platform and some thunderclouds.

TreIII

It would just be interesting if there was ever a thing where we could see the kinds of things that were left on the cutting room floor for all 3 Smash games. I mean, when you even go to consider how the JP N64 original differed from its US counterpart, I'm sure there are a lot of things that would interest info-geeks like us. :lol

I mean, the wikipedia article alone quotes such things like how the game was originally slated to be a SNES/SFAM game, and utilize the FX2 chip. Dunno if that's true (given the source material), but it would be nice if there was a repository of info some where.

After all, if it was meant for the SNES at one point, that might give another plus to the notion of how Smash evolved from the Super Star/Super Deluxe engine... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom