• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to brick an Xbone in six easy steps.

jaypah

Assuming that it's not too difficult to work with "Enable devkit" I guess.

Still seems like a lot more steps between that and a hacked console. Though I'm not a hacker so maybe this could open them up to hacks. Oh well, they'll probably find a way to fix this without getting rid of the "every console is a dev kit" initiative.

What if they can't patch it out and this is the ass-storm?

138301194342.gif

I have a normal regulated boner.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nobody that's as intended. When they announced that every retail console could be switched into a devkit, they had to put in a way somewhere in the dashboard to actually make the switch. Nothing really broken or anything like that... That controller shortcut has been known by devs for a long time now.

you kind of expected that would be by maybe enabling certain xbox live accounts with dev rights or something - not by entering a cheat code and boom.

Flo_Evans

you kind of expected that would be by maybe enabling certain xbox live accounts with dev rights or something - not by entering a cheat code and boom.

Yeah, that is a REALY sloppy way of handling it.

iOS is all handled through the developer portal, you register your devices there and get apps provisioned to run on approved devices.

Insane this is the way MS is doing it.

Megasoum

Banned

Having access to the dev menu doesn't do shit... you still have to check the "Enable Devkit" checkbox and that's when the console checks the server and then rejects you cause you don't have the proper license.

Pillville

Well, the kind of folks that would fall for a ruse like that may not be watching this thread so I wanted to be clear.

I also heard that putting the controller in the microwave for 20 seconds will reduce lag. Can you confirm or deny this? I really need this answered.

EDIT:
I went a head and tried it anyway. It worked! I feel sorry for the people that don't know this amazing secret.

bLaiSe

The fact that you can access dev stuff by just pressing the shoulder buttons is ridiculous. I hope that a very few people will fall for this.
Think of the children!

Major Nelson

Neo Member
I also heard that putting the controller in the microwave for 20 seconds will reduce lag. Can you confirm or deny this? I really need this answered.

EDIT:
I went a head and tried it anyway. It worked! I feel sorry for the people that don't know this amazing secret.

It works better if you cover it with a wet towel first. THAT'S the real secret. ;)

CoG

Larry Hryb ‏@majornelson
To be clear there is no way to make your Xbox One backwards compatible & performing steps to attempt this could make your console inoperable

You mean the Xbone version of AC4 is not just the 360 version running in BC mode? Could have fooled me.

quickwhips

Lol i changed the sandbox id to BC.Compatibility. It now plays Xbox and Xbox 360 games.
won't play xbox one games :(
Thanks guys!

The Cowboy

The fact that you can access dev stuff by just pressing the shoulder buttons is ridiculous. I hope that a very few people will fall for this.
Think of the children!

Yeah, its pretty shocking that such a simple combination gives access to the developer mode on retail units.

I really hope they plan to patch that out or at least make it a much more complicated process.

quickwhips

Will MS help anyone who was silly enough to do this? I mean is there any steps to fix this besides sending your console off to MS?

Top Bottom