• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
LegendofJoe said:
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Captain Falcon
and Ganondorf

After them no more characters are needed, but those have to be in. They are some of the best characters in Melee, it's kinda making me nervous that they have yet to be unveiled.
Yes, the game will ship without Luigi, that is a perfectly rational fear.

TreIII

HotByCold said:
I'm going with everyone else here and guessing 34 with ZSS and Sheik.
And this is just a personal guess.
Nothing else.

Ya sure? *wink wink* :lol

But any way, I'm going on a limb, and saying at least an even 40. Because again, I refuse to believe that we're not going to get any clones at all, even if a number of the clones from last time are going bye-bye (Roy, Doc, Pichu and Melee-style Ganondorf).

As I've said before, I have no problem with clones; they're practically a basic foundation of fighting games. All I would ask is that Sakurai would do more to give us "Mario -> Luigi" types of clones (where some basic attributes are shared, and that's it), instead of the rather lazy "Mario -> Doc" we got previously.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
kungdavid said:
The leftmost kid is from the Eigozuke series for DS (English Training). I don't think they are featured in the games, just on the homepage and packaging: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/angj/index.html

I'm starting to think that EVERY title/series ever made is going to be in this game at this point. It occurred to me that several games not yet visible as stickers/trophies in Brawl have appeared as cameos in the Wario Ware games. If it's good enough for Wario Ware, I'm fairly sure it will be in Brawl.

=======

Update 8.1 - Nintendo titles/series not present in Brawl

(Bold indicates the series/title was present in Melee.)

1080° Snowboarding
Alleyway
Animal Leader / Cubivore
Arm Wrestling (arcade)
Battleclash
Card Hero
Custom Robo
Doshin the Giant
Duck Hunt
Eternal Darkness (the ip belongs to Nintendo, I believe)
F-1 Race
Game & Watch
Golden Sun
Gumshoe
Hajimari no Mori
Happy Panechu!
HeliFire
Hogan's Alley
Hotel Dusk
Joy Mecha Fight
Kaeru no Tameni Kanha Naru (the guy that turns into a frog -- cameo in Link's Awakening)
Kururin
Magical Vacation
Marvellous
Nazo no Murasamejou
Picross
Polarium
Radar Mission
RadarScope
Sennen Kazoku
Sherriff
Shin Oni Ga Shima (New Ogre/Demon Island)
Short Order & Eggsplode
Sky Skipper
Solar Striker
Space Fever
Space Firebird / Space Demon
Space Launcher
Star Tropics
Stunt Race FX
Sutte Hakkun
Tantei Club
Teleroboxer
Time Twist
To The Earth
Tomato Adventure
Trace Memory
Urban Champion
Wave Race
Wii Sports / Play
Yakuman (Mahjong)
Yuu Yuu Ki

All the generic sports titles

Stuff formerly/incorrectly on this list:

Band Brothers -- Barbara the Bat assist trophy (Japanese site footage)
Chibi Robo -- Chibo Robo trophy
Eigozuke/English Training -- sticker
Electroplankton -- sticker
Mole Mania -- reported Muddy Mole assist trophy
Oendon/Elite Beat Agents -- trophy (Japanese site footage)
Super Mario Strikers -- Mario in soccer outfit trophy (and/or soccer ball)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
DavidDayton said:
Okay... who are these folks?
10prqkh.png

I feel like the winged girl is from a Fire Emblem game, and the whale looks either like a Pokemon or from the DK Jungle Beat game, but I really have no idea.

Winged Girl is Myrrh from Fire Emblem (8) The Sacred Stones. She's a dragon.

myrrh.gif

myrhh.jpg

Here's my guess at the total number of characters.

Veterans: 18
Luigi
Ganondorf
Mr. Game & Watch (icon #13)
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff

Newcomers: 17
Ridley
Krystal
Animal Crossing character
Lucario
3rd party character (icon #19)

Total: 35

Teasel

from smash bros 64 to melee we went to 12 from 26 (although 6 were clones so techincaly it would be 20... i'm also counting zelda as double because of sheik) so from melee to brawl i would wish for around 40-45 characters

Meloche

I'm not quite sure what those '240 hours' are referring to, if that's what was said in the first place, but I've learned to never trust game length estimations prior to release, because they're never right. I beat TP in 30 hours without rushing, and pre-release Nintendo was saying something like 70+ hours I think it was. For SSE, I'm hoping for 2 hours or so... any longer and it'll just be overstaying its welcome.

Firestorm said:
By the way, anyone still not done the trophies in Melee? I don't have Diskun or Coin Trophy. I'm missing 3 bonuses for Diskun: "KO a Paratroopa, KO a Koopa Troopa, and No Damage Cler". Coin Trophy requires 100 complete coin matches and I have like 12 or less.
I'm missing Diskun (just need No Damage Clear bonus) and Crazy Hand (beat Adventure Mode on hard/very hard with no continues). I remember spending several frustrating hours trying to get the No Damage Clear with several different characters... I think the best I ever did was getting Master Hand down to about 50% on Classic very easy without getting hit. As for the Crazy Hand trophy... I don't really enjoy playing through Adventure Mode on the harder difficulties, and I just haven't bothered to try and do it with no continues. If I ever get Diskun I'll go for CH, but at this point I don't really care that much. Bring on Brawl.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Jiggy37 said:
There are some things I could fault GT videos for, but none of them are found in videos like this. Nice job, GT! (I know you're lurking around here somewhere. :p)

i'll pass it on to the team

Fireblend

Banned
So, Whooby 2008 has restarted (how does this thing work?) No new demo, but there's some new stuff from Brawlcentral:

# Gourmet Race Music (Smash 64's Dreamland stage music) for Halberd Stage.
# Unconfirmed: Pokemon Trainer does not clap after defeat. He lowers his head in shame.
# Dash Crouch Cancelling has changed somehow.
# Ike just owned some Charizard.
# Dedede Impressions: He cannot move during his Final Smash. One of his victory poses his him leaning on his hammer.
# All three of BC's translators are unavailable ATM. One will be off work in 20 minutes. The info may not be perfect until then.
# Possible photos being taken.
# DK is basically the same.
# SSE movie being shown. Unknown if it's new or old.
# The end of Link's Spin attack is lacking power
# Black Squirtle with Blue Pokemon trainer
# 90 minute playing delay.
# Pokemon Trainer poses with his last used Pokemon during the results screen.
# Two reports of a black Charizard.
# 8 Units set up. 30 min wait to play.

Edit: I'll spoil it, you never know.
Also, someone might want to bump the old thread. There was one, right?

Cowie

Freshman year of college I unlocked every trophy but Olimar (nobody had pikmin!) on a friend's gamecube. Over the summer, he took his cube home and lost the memory card. Many years have passed, and I now own my own cube and melee. I've never been able to recreate my no damage clear, and I've never been able to fully forgive him for losing that fucking card.

pulga

Banned
Cowie said:
Freshman year of college I unlocked every trophy but Olimar (nobody had pikmin!) on a friend's gamecube. Over the summer, he took his cube home and lost the memory card. Many years have passed, and I now own my own cube and melee. I've never been able to recreate my no damage clear, and I've never been able to fully forgive him for losing that fucking card.

Holy shit, this just made me realize something- I've only recently bought both Pikmin games, which means that after 5 years, I have a new trophy to unlock in SSBM :D

All that I want in now is:

Custom Robo AT
Baten Kaitos and Golden Sun represented in some way
Ability to change menu color. (seriously, why is everything pink?)

Keru_Shiri said:
I'm at a crossroad here. On the one hand, I want to go at SSE like Firestorm, and ignore the stickers relying soley on skillz. But on the other hand, the completionist in me wants to max-out all of the characters trophyy bases with the most awesomest sticker availabe.

Decisions, descisions...

The stickers will allow you to survive the highest difficulty settings.

Also, the cutscenes in SSE should factor in how long it takes to beat that mode. There may very well be multiple endings and branching paths, and perhaps hidden levels to unlock, so SSE could be short or long depending on how you play and if someone joins in with co-op.

On a personal note, Sakurai has done something that no other has done in years...and that is make me genuinely excited for a videogame again. I had forgotten what it felt like to anticipate an amazing videogame. I don't even have to play it to say it in this instance. This game is the exception to the rule that should become the rule once again. But if that doesn't happen, I'll be satisfied that I got to experience one last truly amazing videogame.

Firestorm

Teasel said:
from smash bros 64 to melee we went to 12 from 26 (although 6 were clones so techincaly it would be 20... i'm also counting zelda as double because of sheik) so from melee to brawl i would wish for around 40-45 characters

I don't see how people think it's logical to assume it'll keep doubling. next game we'll have 80?

Azuran

Banned
kiruyama said:
All that I want in now is:

Custom Robo AT

I would cry if Custom Robo only gets an AT. Seriously, Ray is perfect for Smash Bros as a playable character.

Custom Robo is so underrated.

zaccheus

Banned
why do people not consider clones characters? i don't get it. ken and ryu are essentially clones of each other, yet we don't have debates about that...

you guys do realize how different ganon/cf, falco/fox, etc etc are from each other right? there are some substantial differences in their play styles, if anything, the only thing similar are the animations.

Fireblend

Banned
More from Brawlcentral:

# Charizard has three jumps.
# Stafy is useless (as we figured)
# Smashville has a balloon that gives you items, like the Shy-Guys in Yoshi's stage.
# Assist Trophies don't spawn very often.
# Squirtle victory pose: Squirtle runs from in front of the camera, spins around PT and does a victory pose with his left hand. (peace sign maybe?)
# Apparently the person saying that Lucario was a Pokeball also said Luigi was a Pokeball...... So rejoice, whoever wanted Lucario in brawl.
# Barbara the Bat as AT. (From the most recent commercial)
# Game loading is less than 2 seconds
# New Pokemon: Cherimu
# When pokemon are thrown out to fight, they make their "cry" sound.
# Fox victory pose: Puts hand on hip, is facing sideways and says something (It was unable to be heard)
# In PictoChat, there is a part that has lot of arrow pointing up. The characters go flying all over the place and off screen when this part of the stage is present.
# From watching, there is no evidence of stamina being incorporated into battle with the Pokemon.
# PictoChat crates are the "Gift Crates" theme.
# PT defeat/loss quotes from results screen (poorly translated): "My Pokemon's loss is my loss.", and "I credit my Pokemon." Since he's not clapping, at least he credits them for victory and shares defeat with them.
# Unconfirmed: Pokemont Trainer does not clap, but his Pokemon used does?

m00

Firestorm said:
I don't see how people think it's logical to assume it'll keep doubling. next game we'll have 80?
SSB32 will have on the order of twenty billion playable characters, which is enough so that every man, woman, and child on the planet will be playable. (That figure may include clones, depending on the legality of cloning.)

Firestorm

zaccheus said:
why do people not consider clones characters? i don't get it. ken and ryu are essentially clones of each other, yet we don't have debates about that...

you guys do realize how different ganon/cf, falco/fox, etc etc are from each other right? there are some substantial differences in their play styles, if anything, the only thing similar are the animations.

I do know how different they are. But unless someone start arguing or bashing Young Link aka Top Tier wonderful boomerang of joy, I just let them be. Ignorance is bliss.

m00

zaccheus said:

it sux that captian falcon and ganondorf have recycled animations

theres no logical reason in either the f-zero or zelda timelines for them to have similar moves

now my fanfic is ruined

zaccheus

Banned
Firestorm said:
I do know how different they are. But unless someone start arguing or bashing Young Link aka Top Tier wonderful boomerang of joy, I just let them be. Ignorance is bliss.

his tilt down A is a spike :] its quite killer

pulga

Banned
Azuran said:
I would cry if Custom Robo only gets an AT. Seriously, Ray is perfect for Smash Bros as a playable character.

Custom Robo is so underrated.

This is what I've been saying all along.

Dash

Firestorm said:

Exactly. It would be more logical for Brawl to just increase its roster by the same number (8), as opposed to doubling melee's.

I would love to see like some clones, but only if we got a roster of 60 total. No eating into legitimate characters.

I'd like...

Black Shadow - Captain Falcon
Mona - Wario
Ness - Lucas
Eliwood - Ike
Falco Lombardi - Fox McCloud
Dark Samus - Samus Aran (I know it's not a clone, but it could be like Samus)
Funky Kong - Donkey Kong
Wart - Bowser
Andy - Will
Pikmin & Louie - Pikmin & Olimar

gimz

CreatureX3 said:
Here's my guess at the total number of characters.

Veterans: 18
Luigi
Ganondorf
Mr. Game & Watch (icon #13)
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff

Newcomers: 17
Ridley
Krystal
Animal Crossing character
Lucario
3rd party character (icon #19)

Total: 35
i dont understand why everyone guess Krystal to be in? shes not popular at all, and shes ugly

pulga

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
I would love to see like some clones, but only if we got a roster of 60 total. No eating into legitimate characters.

I'd like...

Black Shadow - Captain Falcon
Mona - Wario
Ness - Lucas
Eliwood - Ike
Falco Lombardi - Fox McCloud
Dark Samus - Samus Aran (I know it's not a clone, but it could be like Samus)
Funky Kong - Donkey Kong
Wart - Bowser
Andy - Will

Pikmin & Louie - Pikmin & Olimar

Wart being a Bowser clone doesn't even begin to make sense. He doesn't even have a shell to retract into for starters. And what's with wanting a clone of a character we're not even getting?

Louie does make a lot of sense though, hopefully Sakurai has thought about this.

pulga said:
Wart being a Bowser clone doesn't even begin to make sense. He doesn't even have a shell to retract into for starters. And what's with wanting a clone of a character we're not even getting?

Louie does make a lot of sense though, hopefully Sakurai has thought about this.

1. Because he has to retract into a shell, right? Why in the world can't he just spin? His B move would be his bubbles, Smash B would be easily transferable, up B could be "frog spin", and down B is simply a Butt Stomp. Is it that hard?

2. That's pretty presumptuous of you to say we're not getting an AW character.

pulga

Banned
1. Because he has to retract into a shell, right? Why in the world can't he just spin? His B move would be his bubbles, Smash B would be easily transferable, up B could be "frog spin", and down B is simply a Butt Stomp. Is it that hard?

2. That's pretty presumptuous of you to say we're not getting an AW character.

1. Guess you're right, Sakurai has proven to not give a shit what moves the clones get, they don't have to make sense game-wise. (See: Ganondorf).
2. Would you say there's a higher probability of an AW character getting in that there is of he/she being out? I just don't think there is going to be one at all, and found it amusing you were clamoring for a clone of a none existent character. It would be like someone wanting Tidus in as a clone of Cloud, it's just "over wishing".

Jiggy37 said:
Random tangent: I guess Sakurai's found yet another way to attract the female userbase. First there was tight clothing for Snake (and Fox for the furries). Now there are stickers. High school and even some college girls would be all over this.
I am HIGHLY disturbed and almost offended by this method of thinking from you, Jiggy. Will you next be saying Zelda games are popular with girls solely because of Link's bishie looks? I bet you believe that.

Can't wait to hear the spin on this.... >.>

pulga said:
1. Guess you're right, Sakurai has proven to not give a shit what moves the clones get, they don't have to make sense game-wise. (See: Ganondorf).
2. Would you say there's a higher probability of an AW character getting in that there is of he/she being out? I just don't think there is going to be one at all, and found it amusing you were clamoring for a clone of a none existent character. It would be like someone wanting Tidus in as a clone of Cloud, it's just "over wishing".

Over-wishing? Cloud has no chance, AW is an 11-game series.

pulga

Banned
Over-wishing? Cloud has no chance, AW is an 11-game series.

You're missing the point, Cloud and Tidus are an "X" and "Y", replace them with whatever you want. Slime and that green thing from Devil World, for instance.

KevinCow

Banned
Mona - Wario
The only move I could see her sharing with Wario is the motorcycle. I couldn't see her using a fart move or a poisonous bite, or moving as freakishly as Wario does.

KevinCow said:
The only move I could see her sharing with Wario is the motorcycle. I couldn't see her using a fart move or a poisonous bite, or moving as freakishly as Wario does.

B: Monkey Bite
Smash B: Vespa
Up B: Elephant Spin
Down B: Perfume

pulga

Banned
B: Monkey Bite
Smash B: Vespa
Up B: Elephant Spin
Down B: Perfume

I swear to God, didn't we have this discussion fairly recently? :lol He does have a point, Mona can't get away with moving as unconventionally as Wario does. They would have to make completely new walking/jumping/running animations for her.

pulga said:
I swear to God, didn't we have this discussion fairly recently:lol He does have a point, Mona can't get away with moving as unconventionally as Wario does. They would have to make completely new walking/jumping/running animations for her.

I'm pretty sure Wario's movement has been changed.

gimz said:
i dont understand why everyone guess Krystal to be in? shes not popular at all, and shes ugly

We know for sure she's in the game and speaks or makes some kind of noise, which is why people usually put her as a guess in their newcomers list.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Mockingbird said:
The copyrights can mean nothing and everything, but of all the Namco characters why bother with Necrid - even as a sticker? Banjo and Crunch wouldn't benefit Nintendo in any way either - even in sticker form.

While I'm sure this means nothing, I'll take any minor Namco reference as a greater chance at getting Pac-Man.

Wakka wakka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom