• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
FDLink said:
Looks like somebody got his hands on the Famitsu booklet. Looks fairly legit.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=137580&page=8

Sadly for many of you, no CAPCOM on that list.
The reason for the third parties listed there is because it gives the history of the characters in the book and where their final smashes come from. S-E is listed because they make reference to to Mario RPG when talking about Mario's fireball. Namco is listed because they reference SCII while talking about Link and for some legal reason Necrid has to always be credited to McFarlane. It has nothing to do with playable characters.

This game is going to ruin my life. Stickers strengthening / customizing characters? Too damned awesome.

The entire Smash Bros team needs to be credited for this, not just Sakurai. It's obvious they've all put some incredible effort and time into this game.

timmy

SuperAngelo64 said:
Ah, more haughty kids who like to think they know how developing a game works.

Tell me, which development branch you work at over at Nintendo.

EADSDG1? EADSDG3?

Oh, you're full of shit? Thought so.
I'm sure you've been told this before, but you have a habit in this thread of attacking people rather than their arguments.

Cowie

timmy said:
I'm sure you've been told this before, but you have a habit in this thread of attacking people rather than their arguments.

But as long as we shoot the messenger, his point is null!
right?

Teasel

i agree that,that credit list refers to the booklets.. i bet chunsoft is listed there because the booklet mention pokemon mysterious dungeon

Fireblend

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
So, what, I assume that the Whobby updates are done?
There's just a bit more that got updated overnight:

# Event is over. Expect info to come in from attendees shortly, just like last week.
# Colors: White Kirby. Pink, Purple, Orange Dedede.
# Victory Poses: Dedede puffing out his stomach, Wario lauughing and holding his belly, and Ike jumping very high and coming back down.
# Someone claims that a weird rabbit appears as an AT. Could be Demille, who was mentioned in Sakurai's journal.
# King Dedede doesn't have as many super armor frames as other heavy characters like Bowser and Ike.
# Unconfirmed report of Eevee being the Pokeball Pokemon and evolving into one of its evolutions to attack. So far the person claims to have seen multiple Eevee evolutions.
# Leafeon, who is one of the new Eevee evolutions is a Pokeball. It fires a grass-type projectile.
# Onix, Chansey and Meowth as Pokeballs (The only new one there is Chansey).

Nothing too interesting...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
SuperAngelo64 said:
Ah, more haughty kids who like to think they know how developing a game works.

Tell me, which development branch you work at over at Nintendo.

EADSDG1? EADSDG3?

Oh, you're full of shit? Thought so.

I work for Guerrilla Games. And you?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fireblend said:
Anyway, I don't understand all the people asking for a 40-characters roster; sure it would be great, but why exactly is people expecting that? Not a lot of fighting games have had rosters that big, and multiplayer fans have to accept, development leaned a lot towards first-player mode this time. I'm sure Sakurai would rather have ~30 quality characters opposed to 40 from which 10 would be completely useless. It really bothers me to see people saying they'll hate the game if it doesn't have a huge roster but really, I couldn't care less; the amount of content in this game is astonishing already.

Having said that, I do expect the current character count to increase, and if Sakurai managed to cram that many characters in the game it'd be great, but for now I'm definitely satisfied, and I don't see why people thought that fighting games doubled their rosters in every iteration...
The only reason that we're expecting the number to approach 40 is because of the fact that the starting roster is likely to be everyone currently on the Dojo, minus Snake and Sonic. That would be about 24 in the starting roster and the Smash series has always had a high percentage of unlockable characters. Only having 6 more unrevealed characters would bring a total of 8 unlockable characters, less than Melee had, and a fair number of veterans have yet to be confirmed.

I think people have trouble imagining so many characters in the game because we've seen so much media about the current ones, seen them fighting each other, movies with them, know all there moves, and hell, have already been trying to determine how good they will be, but it's hard to imagine all these brand new characters.

Think of it like this, before we had Olimar no one knew he was going to be in the game, or how he could even work as a character. Now he seems just as comfortable on the roster as Diddy or Wario. I have no doubt there are still plenty of characters left to be shown, Sakurai still has some cards to show. I remember about a month ago when we had nothing but crappy updates claiming that Sakurai had shown everything important and run out of interesting updates, and I was dead wrong.

nli10

RoboPlato said:
The only reason that we're expecting the number to approach 40 is because of the fact that the starting roster is likely to be everyone currently on the Dojo, minus Snake and Sonic. That would be about 24 in the starting roster and the Smash series has always had a high percentage of unlockable characters. Only having 6 more unrevealed characters would bring a total of 8 unlockable characters, less than Melee had, and a fair number of veterans have yet to be confirmed.

I'm thinking that we won't have 24 as the starting number, I can see some being low grade unlockables (or greyed out and reasons stated).

Personally I think that 12 unknown and 24 known characters sounds about right. Most of the games with character overkill have tag formats for the battles and almost require more characters.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
SuperAngelo64 said:
I always think of it this way; Sakurai pulled together Melee in less than a year, with a smaller team, and smaller budget.

Melee was done in less than a year? Oh man, Oh god no.

Testing ALONE must have been at least 3 months. I say AT LEAST cause even EA will test games like Tiger Woods for that amount of time, for a fighting game? Thats the very bare minimum.

Pulling together a good, approved design, concept art, character models, art, music, extras etc etc take more than a year to make in order for a game as good as Melee to be made, I can guarantee you that, it just doesn't happen otherwise. Melee must have taken at least two years to complete, like Brawl has taken 3 years.

justchris

nli10 said:
I'm thinking that we won't have 24 as the starting number, I can see some being low grade unlockables (or greyed out and reasons stated).

Personally I think that 12 unknown and 24 known characters sounds about right. Most of the games with character overkill have tag formats for the battles and almost require more characters.

Does this mean you're absolutely certain that the next Dojo update won't be 'Tag Stock Battle Mode'?

Jiggy

40 characters or bust. We're at 25; I say Captain Falcon, Luigi, Ganondorf, Marth, and Mr. Game & Watch are 100% locks, getting us to 30. There were 9 newcomers from Melee who weren't revealed on the Melee site until after the game was released. If that pattern holds up, we'd be at 39.
And if any one character out of Jigglypuff, Falco, Young Link, Ness, and Mewtwo gets in, that's 40 already. (Or if any two of them got in, we would only need 8 newcomers who we don't know about yet. If any three of them got in, we would need 7. And so on.) No problem!

VeritasVierge said:
I am HIGHLY disturbed and almost offended by this method of thinking from you, Jiggy. Will you next be saying Zelda games are popular with girls solely because of Link's bishie looks? I bet you believe that.

Can't wait to hear the spin on this.... >.>
I would never say or even imply "solely." :p Other than that, though, I agree. :D

NTom64

Bit late on the whole sticker thing, but one thing came to mind when I saw the mountain or whatever it is on the map screen:

modea12_080118i-l.jpg

Sky Pillar?

nli10

justchris said:
Does this mean you're absolutely certain that the next Dojo update won't be 'Tag Stock Battle Mode'?

The next one? Yes. After that the crystal ball gets a little hazy... :D

I am hoping that 'Starting roster' or 'selection screen' similar is a next week update.

Scribble

Shoo-Ins:

Luigi
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Marth
Mr.Game and Watch

Characters that should be shoo-ins, but have been heavily debated:

Ness
Falco
Mewtwo

Characters who are most likely to be dropped:

Young Link
Roy
Pichu
Dr.Mario

With the "Shoo-Ins", the roster adds up to 31. Then if you add the other three, you get 34.

Most Popular Not-Yet-Newcomers (I don't agree with all of them, but hey):

Lucario
Geno
Ridley
Krystal
Takamaru
Wind Waker Link
Wolf
King K.Rool
Sukapon
Micaiah
Claus
K.Rool
Black Shadow (lol)
Whatever 3rd Party Character

40 would be a really nice number. There would be room for SIX newcomers, which would be more than enough to get the rest of the extremely popular not-yet-newcomers in and make everyone happy.

Branskins

Has Nintendo shown the Wiimote and Nunchuk controls yet (as playable)? It seems like they are only letting people play the horizontal wiimote and classic controller options.

EDIT: Basically what I am trying to ask is if Nintendo has allowed anyone to play the nunchuk + wiimote option yet.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Absinthe said:
That's just my opinion. I can tell you that I'm going to turn the final smash attacks off. The series is becoming increasingly more clustered after each release and I fear that there's simply going to be too much shit going on onscreen.

All of this superfluous shit like the adventure mode and target breaking can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. I would much rather have a fleshed out fighting game with a ton of characters and levels to choose from. That's what Super Smash Brothers is, first and foremost, a fighting game. Someone mentioned Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and I think that's a good example.
I have to say I agree with you on some points but totally disagree on others. I WOULD prefer if Sakurai spent more of the dev time strictly on the fighting engine/characters/stages etc rather than SSE, Target Stages and such. Also I am worried about how much potential for improvement of the multiplayer part of the game was missed out on to make SSE. However I LOVE the fact that Final Smashes and AT are in the game in full force. It just adds to the crazyness that is this type of game. Also all the Final Smashes appear to be very well thought out about how to use them properly which just adds to the strategy of the core fighting game. The bottom line is its stupid to complain about extra content if the main content kicks ass. Thats like being mad that McDonalds accidental Super Sized your value meal!

DarkKyo

Does anyone know if there is a place to download the music updates that have appeared on the site so far? I really want the main Brawl theme in my iTunes!!

RoboPlato said:
I still believe that not all the characters revealed will be starters. I think we will have about 16-20 starters.

Scribble

That was the very first Ness screenshot I saw.

I'm hoping that little section drops a few clues about Ness being in Brawl. Or maybe the Japanese don't do that. Lolz.

justchris

tapedeck said:
I have to say I agree with you on some points but totally disagree on others. I WOULD prefer if Sakurai spent more of the dev time strictly on the fighting engine/characters/stages etc rather than SSE, Target Stages and such. Also I am worried about how much potential for improvement of the multiplayer part of the game was missed out on to make SSE. However I LOVE the fact that Final Smashes and AT are in the game in full force. It just adds to the crazyness that is this type of game. Also all the Final Smashes appear to be very well thought out about how to use them properly which just adds to the strategy of the core fighting game. The bottom line is its stupid to complain about extra content if the main content kicks ass. Thats like being mad that McDonalds accidental Super Sized your value meal!

You do realize that building SSE very likely also helped to balance out characters. Sometimes it can be hard to balance two characters against each other, with only each other to compare to. A generic "bad guy" with basic (and most importantly, unchanging) stats acts as a good frame of reference for that sort of thing.

Also, things like target test, multi-man melee, and board the platforms are great for conceptualizing a character and tweaking movesets to fit within certain parameters.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
NTom64 said:
Bit late on the whole sticker thing, but one thing came to mind when I saw the mountain or whatever it is on the map screen:

modea12_080118i-l.jpg

Sky Pillar?
Isn't Sky Pillar where you meet Rayquaza in Pokemon? In the other shots and video's we've seen Rayquaza appears out of a lake (which doesn't make much sense, since it would be Gyarados that would appear out of a lake).

As far as I can tell, the Ness section doesn't say anything about him being in or out of Brawl. It's just recalling his appearance in the Smash Bros. series.

Guled

Hey guys, I heard that there will be over 240 hours with all the characters in the story mode First of all is that true? Also, will there be a different story for each characters (like different cinematic and bosses), or is it the same for all the characters?

Cowie said:
Its important to note that as an example of a game with a lot of characters, Marvel vs Capcom 2 falls down in the 'Has any sort of character balance' category. There are probably much better fighters with absurd numbers of characters that actually maintain some semblance of leveled play, and have fewer infinites.
and if Necrid is in, I'll make a preorder just to cancel it.

To be fair, the previous titles wern't exactly about balance either - even with the smaller rosters.

Fireblend

Banned
Guled said:
Hey guys, I heard that there will be over 240 hours with all the characters in the story mode First of all is that true? Also, will there be a different story for each characters (like different cinematic and bosses), or is it the same for all the characters?
We discussed that a few pages back, but other than the webpage it was found at, we've got no real source, so it's as doubtful as any so called "prophet" around unless someone already confirmed/debunked it and I didn't notice. Personally I'd doubt it, and even if it was true, journalists always exaggerate with these things.

NTom64

JohnTinker said:
Isn't Sky Pillar where you meet Rayquaza in Pokemon? In the other shots and video's we've seen Rayquaza appears out of a lake (which doesn't make much sense, since it would be Gyarados that would appear out of a lake).

Indeed it is.

What most likely happens, is:

Rayquaza is attacked by the Halberd, because the SSA is trying to turn him into a trophy (I mean, if they can harness the power of trophies, then a giant dragon would reallllly help them :lol )

He's then pursued by the Halberd, although he manages to lose them temporarily. Fox's Arwing crashes into him after being shot by the Halberd, and both Rayquaza and Fox crash in the jungle (with the former landing in the lake).

This would probably explain why Rayquaza just randomly attacks an already beat up ship, with no previous provaction shown. Then he just probably mistook Diddy for one of the Subspace Army.

TreIII

NTom64 said:
Indeed it is.

What most likely happens, is:

Rayquaza is attacked by the Halberd, because the SSA is trying to turn him into a trophy (I mean, if they can harness the power of trophies, then a giant dragon would reallllly help them :lol )

He's then pursued by the Halberd, although he manages to lose them temporarily. Fox's Arwing crashes into him after being shot by the Halberd, and both Rayquaza and Fox crash in the jungle (with the former landing in the lake).

This would probably explain why Rayquaza just randomly attacks an already beat up ship, with no previous provaction shown. Then he just probably mistook Diddy for one of the Subspace Army.

Either that, or he just thought that after that long excursion involving the Halberd, that Diddy looked like a nice lil snack to sop up. :lol :lol

I mean, let's keep in mind, Pokemon are still supposed to be wild creatures, with a number of them being predatory. I'm sure that a large and in charge being like Ray is probably at the top of the food chain, and have little to no problem feasting on something like Diddy for sustenance.

Firestorm

Teasel said:
because the starting roster (almost) doubled from 64 to melee (from 8 to 14 although if you don't count ness and c.falcon it would be 12 which means a 50% increase) it work with secret character too but only if you count clones... if you don't count them it's still 20 character against 12 which is (almost) double,and it seems to be the same for brawl assuming every character revealed on the dojo is a starter (from 14 to 25) so i think it's a safe bet to assume there are at least 15 secret characters

also for people having trouble with the no damage clear bonus,pick donkey kong,pick all-star mode,put game on very easy and spam B+Down like there is no tomorrow,that's how i did it

someone mentioned that in that famitsu guide there were screenshot of soul calibur when talking about link final smash so i don't think (ok... i hope) there will be anything necrid related in the game

My point is that thinking that a game will be 2x bigger every gen is crazy. You could say they'll add 12 characters each gen, but multiply by 2? Yeah... no.

Absinthe said:
That's just my opinion. I can tell you that I'm going to turn the final smash attacks off. The series is becoming increasingly more clustered after each release and I fear that there's simply going to be too much shit going on onscreen.

All of this superfluous shit like the adventure mode and target breaking can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. I would much rather have a fleshed out fighting game with a ton of characters and levels to choose from. That's what Super Smash Brothers is, first and foremost, a fighting game. Someone mentioned Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and I think that's a good example.

I disagree. You play the fighting game part of it. Others have spent years and years playing target test competitively. For some people, Stadium in SSBM is all they care about. People who go for records like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_V7tNfUi6A

You like VS mode. So do I. However, what you want is selfish. Others are interested in the sidescrolling adventure mode most. It's a new 2D platformer akin to Kirby Superstar. Others are interested in it as a party game to screw around with lots of explosions and whatever else. And again, lots of people play the Target Test, Home Run Contest, etc religiously. Smash caters to more than just you.

In my opinion, the stages seem fine so far, especially since I expect more of the old ones to return. If Sakurai is listening to fans, I think Final Destination and Dreamland 64 (the only legal stages in Japanese tournaments) will be back at least and neither has been announced. Character-wise, I've always predicted 36 and I would be happy with that amount.

SuperAngelo64 said:
If we don't have atleast 40 characters I will be a bit bummed.

I always think of it this way; Sakurai pulled together Melee in less than a year, with a smaller team, and smaller budget.

That game came out spectacular.

Now they've had over two years, much bigger team, a 'mystery' development team, a bigger budget, more hype, better hardware, etc.

If we don't have atleast 36 or 40 characters... then they've been dicking around an awful lot in that Sora building.

Right. Because better hardware means you can do more in less time. It usually means it takes more time to do the same amount of work. And it's not a "Sora" building. It's a Nintendo building. The only employee of Sora is Sakurai himself.

NTom64

TreIII said:
Either that, or he just thought that after that long excursion involving the Halberd, that Diddy looked like a nice lil snack to sop up. :lol :lol

I mean, let's keep in mind, Pokemon are still supposed to be wild creatures, with a number of them being predatory. I'm sure that a large and in charge being like Ray is probably at the top of the food chain, and have little to no problem feasting on something like Diddy for sustenance.

True, true :lol

Although he's the guardian of the sky. He's probably more pissed at the SSA for fucking up his sky than a random monkey. Hopefully a new SSE movie will be one of the updates next week :D

Jiggy37 said:
40 characters or bust. We're at 25; I say Captain Falcon, Luigi, Ganondorf, Marth, and Mr. Game & Watch are 100% locks, getting us to 30. There were 9 newcomers from Melee who weren't revealed on the Melee site until after the game was released. If that pattern holds up, we'd be at 39.
And if any one character out of Jigglypuff, Falco, Young Link, Ness, and Mewtwo gets in, that's 40 already. (Or if any two of them got in, we would only need 8 newcomers who we don't know about yet. If any three of them got in, we would need 7. And so on.) No problem!

I would never say or even imply "solely." :p Other than that, though, I agree. :D

Jigglypuff is a lock damnit. I can't imagine a smash game without the good ol' puff ball. Anyways, he was in both 64 and Melee, that has to mean something, right?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
The Crimson Blur said:
Jigglypuff is a lock damnit. I can't imagine a smash game without the good ol' puff ball. Anyways, he was in both 64 and Melee, that has to mean something, right?

I still fully expect Jigglypuff to carry on the tradition of being the standard Classic Mode unlockable.

Are the Subspace cinematics pre-rendered? I was watching the Donkey Kong one on Gametrailers and it looks way beyond what the Wii can do but then I watched the Peach & Kirby one and it looks like it could be in-game. Any official word on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom