• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Are the Subspace cinematics pre-rendered? I was watching the Donkey Kong one on Gametrailers and it looks way beyond what the Wii can do but then I watched the Peach & Kirby one and it looks like it could be in-game. Any official word on this?

Definitely pre-rendered.

Man God said:
Jigglypuff is in the game. First hidden character. (Well, you can get Marth first in Melee I suppose.)

When I play Melee and someone forgets to bring a memory card, Marth is always the first person to be unlocked =P

Well, usually the only character.

TreIII

For those interested in the Ness blurb, he's my best attempt at translating.

"Remember Ness?

Ness, the protagonist of Mother 2, who continually participates in the Smash Bros. series. He made an appearance as a hidden character in the first generation of Smash Bros. For him to make an appearance, how much hardship must we go through (now)? Incidentally, From a movie on the official Home Page, the throwing item "Mr. Saturn" is proven to continue to make an appearance."

So...there you have it. Nothing that points to a confirmation or not, as far as I'm concerned. Though, I'm sure that Famitsu probably knows better by now, considering they probably are playing the full version as we speak....lucky devils.

*looks to January 20th, 2007 with contempt*

YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE THE DAY THE GAME SHIPPED! YOU'RE USELESS TO ME NOW!!!!

:lol

Scribble

TreIII said:
Either that, or he just thought that after that long excursion involving the Halberd, that Diddy looked like a nice lil snack to sop up. :lol :lol

I mean, let's keep in mind, Pokemon are still supposed to be wild creatures, with a number of them being predatory. I'm sure that a large and in charge being like Ray is probably at the top of the food chain, and have little to no problem feasting on something like Diddy for sustenance.

He might be one of the bad guys for now. In the latest SSE video, it looks like Rayquaza plays a similar part to Petey Piranha, and Bowser a similar part to Wario (Taking advantage of the situation and trying to shoot them with the trophy gun).

Scribble

Oh, and I have no doubt that Jigglypuff will be returning.

You know, although it makes a lot of sense that Jigglypuff is THE most popular Pokemon in Japan (even above Pikachu, I hear), it completely threw me off guard -- in RGBY, I saw it as just a random cute Pokemon.

I do wonder why the anime Jigglypuff doesn't appear anymore, though.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Guys, probably very very stupid question, but all the characters shown so far, they're going to be available at the start? I thought we had to unlock the likes of Sonic and Snake?

Zerodoppler said:
Is this fact or speculation? I'd like to see a source if possible.

I've heard that being thrown around the intarwebs, that Melee took 9 months to develop. I haven't found a source, tho. But assuming that's true, that would mean Brawl would be a fuckload bigger (understatement), considering the development time, and bigger team.

TreIII

Oblivion said:
Guys, probably very very stupid question, but all the characters shown so far, they're going to be available at the start? I thought we had to unlock the likes of Sonic and Snake?

As of right now, if we're to basically believe what a number of quotes have been stating, everyone besides Sonic and Snake are the only ones that we stand to need to unlock at the moment. We won't find out the truth until probably later, but we'll see.

I've heard that being thrown around the intarwebs, that Melee took 9 months to develop. I haven't found a source, tho. But assuming that's true, that would mean Brawl would be a fuckload bigger (understatement), considering the development time, and bigger team.

9 months sounds feasible, considering what happened.

Most of what I heard was that Sakurai left DX/Melee's development towards the end, and with little else to do, it was all Iwata and crew could do, but to just keep chugging along, and then rush the game out for the GC's launch/Christmas.

So, I wouldn't at all be surprised...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
TreIII said:
As of right now, if we're to basically believe what a number of quotes have been stating, everyone besides Sonic and Snake are the only ones that we stand to need to unlock at the moment. We won't find out the truth until probably later, but we'll see.

Hmm, I see.

9 months sounds feasible, considering what happened.

Most of what I heard was that Sakurai left DX/Melee's development towards the end, and with little else to do, it was all Iwata and crew could do, but to just keep chugging along, and then rush the game out for the GC's launch/Christmas.

So, I wouldn't at all be surprised...

Sakurai left Melee's development towards the end? Are you sure? Cause he was still at Hal til mid 2003 when he completely left.

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Are the Subspace cinematics pre-rendered? I was watching the Donkey Kong one on Gametrailers and it looks way beyond what the Wii can do but then I watched the Peach & Kirby one and it looks like it could be in-game. Any official word on this?
Most are pre-rendered, but it wouldn't be surprising if they used Kirby's in-game model for the cutscenes. There's not much else you can really do with him.

There might also be a few in-game cutscenes here and there to save space. Hopefully Nintendo didn't go wacky with the compression in this game like they did in Galaxy (I thought my component cables were broken during the intro).

http://www.brawlcentral.com/
My translator gave me a summary of that the image says. Here's what he had to say:
The top paragraph simply says that compared to Melee's 25 character roster, this time around Brawl will have 48 characters, nearly twice as much as Melee.

The next paragraph talks about Snake being included in the game and how it's sort of a crossover in fighting from a different series and not just Nintendo. But it mentions he was in a similar crossover fighting game a while ago called Dream Mix. Then it mentions Sonic and how he's also in a Nintendo/Mario game (Olympics). And Lucas is mentioned as he was going to be in Melee, but because the game didnt come out for the GBA in time, he wasn't in Melee.
brawl48dj8.jpg

We're not even sure if this image is real of fake, but that's what the text says. We're not even sure if this image is real of rake, but that's what the text says. Supposedly, this image is from Oita Godo-Shinbun, a Japanese newspaper.
If we can get an official confirmation, this is big.

And sorry for posting this in the Dojo thread...junior status prevents me from making a new thread.

ahahaha tenshi you beat me by one minute :lol

48 characters. The 25 in Melee, minus the clones (roy, dr mario, pichu) makes 22. Add the newcomers we already know of (12) and you get 34. 14 more newcomers seems a little farfetched to me :\

Zeed

Banned
TenshiOni said:
http://www.brawlcentral.com/
If we can get an official confirmation, this is big.

And sorry for posting this in the Dojo thread...junior status prevents me from making a new thread.
I'm reluctant to believe anything that's not 100% confirmed, but everything there aligns with what we know (Lucas, for instance). 48 is staggering but plausible. I'm cautiously optimistic on this rumor.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
48 sounds waaaaaaaaaaaay too good to be true. Wow. That would be far beyond my wildest expectations.

I've been thinking 34 to 36 is realistic, and that still seems like a really big roster to me!

MrCheez said:
48 sounds waaaaaaaaaaaay too good to be true. Wow. That would be far beyond my wildest expectations.

I've been thinking 34 to 36 is realistic, and that still seems like a really big roster to me!

True, but a roster in the 20's seems to low, as that would mean we've known a good chunck of the unlocakable characters for a while now.

48? I thought 35 would be the realistic limit but I guess Sakurai wanted to satisfy fans in every way possible.

I hope this is true. There is no possible way for Isaac to be passed over in a roster that huge.

I was expecting 35, too, myself. This is fucking incredible if true.

Now, there's always a chance it's really 44 characters and that it counts Sheik, Zero Suit Samus (assuming she'll only be accessible through the Final Smash), and the individual Pokemon of the Pokemon Trainer.

But still....at least 44 characters on the character selection screen....amazing.

Sakurai = God.

Touchdown

Banned
48 characters!!! It can't be. Do we really need 48 characters? All I'm asking for is one more third party character, hopefully from capcom. :D

TenshiOni said:
Now, there's always a chance it's really 44 characters and that it counts Sheik, Zero Suit Samus (assuming she'll only be accessible through the Final Smash), and the individual Pokemon of the Pokemon Trainer.

I think that it's really 48 selections. In melee zelda and sheik were counted as one in the character selection screen, so I would assume it's the same for sheik, zamus, and the pokemon trainer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If this is true than the count has far exceeded my highest expectations. We know the translation is legit but we do not have final confirmation that this is indeed in the newspaper. I wouldn't get excited yet but this could be big.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
48 characters?

That sounds just a little too good to be true.

Then again, so did the Subspace Emissary, Sonic, and the Stage Builder.

So I wouldn't put it past Sakurai.

Scribble

I bet this is fake:

A. No-one has actually seen the newspaper
B. This was supposedly yesterday's newspaper -- wouldn't the news have been reported MUCH earlier if that was the case?
C. The scan looks like it was typed out on Word and printed on A4. Look at all the WHITE SPACE
D. Isn't the text supposed to be vertical?

AntMurda

The 9 months figure was from Rogue Squadron III. With Super Smash Bros. Melee being one if not the premiere Sysdolphin games, at least some of the technology for the game was being developed maybe even before EAD's.

Also remember Smash Bros was fully playable with completed stages in May 2001 and released in December. There is no way they developed the E3 demo in 2-3 months.

Nintaiyo

Damn, I just wrote out huge post about character predictions, but it just got erased. I'll try again.

Anyway, based on Famitsu's projected 240 hours to complete single player with all characters, two logical character numbers are 30 and 40:

30 characters = 8 hours per playthrough
40 characters = 6 hours per playthrough

These are the simplest calculations based on the 240 number which is why I'm pointing them out first.

I'm trying to have realistic expectations for this game. The increase in characters from the original to Melee was huge, but the hardware jump from GCN to Wii is nowhere near as great, which is why I'm being more conservative in predicting about 30 playable characters. Another factor which lowers this number is that i believe Sakurai wanted to do away with clones for the most part.

Another thing, a lot of you are predicting a ton more newcomers to be announced, maybe as many as 10+ more. This would be great, but many of you are forgetting that we've already had 11, 12 if you count ZSS newcomers announced. That's already a pretty big number. As I said, I'm trying to be realistic here and not set myself up for disappointment. If Sakurai completely blows it out of the park with 35+ or even 40, that'd be absolutely insane, but I'm not expecting this at all. With all the stuff he's already crammed into this game, I'm thinking around 30 is more realistic. Then again, Sakurai's surprised us before, so who's to say he won't again.

After doing some calculations, some other possible character numbers are:

32 characters = 7.5 hrs per playthough
34 characters = roughly 7 hours per playthough
37 characters = roughly 6.5 hours per playthrough

So far 23 playable characters have been announced (ZSS and Sheik not counted).
IMO, these characters are pretty much guaranteed:
-Capt Falcon
-Ganondorf
-Luigi
-2 more Pokemon

Here are the "maybe"s
-Falco
-Young Link (cel-shaded or not)
-Another Pokemon
-Mr. Game and Watch
-Another Fire Emblem character

Looking at these, the minimum, not including more newcomers would be 28. So my bet would be 28 plus around 4 or so newcomers.

It really also depends on whether Sakurai is commited to bringing back everyone's favorites, or whether he just wants to do away with clones (Dr. Mario, Falco, Pichu, Fire Emblem, etc.)

If he brings back a good number of them, then we'll see 32ish characters with a few more newcomers, or around 35/36.

Anyway, if you didn't bother reading this, I don't care, I just thought I'd put in my two cents before the game was released. Just my predictions. Sorry for the long ass post.

Summary: My prediction 30-35 characters

Fireblend

Banned
First of all, can someone please give me a reliable website in which the 240 hours thing is confirmed? All I remember about it is some random ruliweb page which is as reliable as a wordpress blog, as far as I know.

Second, 48 characters is extremely unlikely, and I'm skeptical until I see a full picture of this newspaper and confirmation of someone having actually read it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
That paper says there are 48 characters.

Whether or not that paper is real, or why it was even made, I have no idea.

BTW, take this to the rumor thread please.

justchris

How is this 240 hour thing worded? Cause there's no way you can sensibly divide it up between characters. Remember, SSE you don't choose a character then go through the whole scenario with that character. It's entirely story based, and each character has their own part in the story. It starts with the Mario/Kirby fight, and depending on which one of them you choose, and which princess you rescue, sets you on your path. You don't use an individual character to go through the story. Sakurai even did a Dojo update saying you'd have a team of the characters you'd picked up, and you choose one before starting a stage, and if they die, another member of the team takes their place. That does not make it seem like SSE is set up for individual run-throughs with a single character like Adventure mode was in SSBM.

Fireblend

Banned
Ok, I think I just discovered undeniable proof as to why this supposed article is fake. Go to wikipedia's Brawl article. Now go the japanese' version of the article. Check out the last two paragraphs:

スネークが登場するのは、任天堂のゲームのファンだった小島秀夫から桜井へ、前作『DX』の発売時期前後より希望があったと語られている。E3において発表された際には、悲鳴にも似た歓声が上がったとのこと。なお、スネークがクロスオーバー作品の対戦アクションゲームに参戦するのはハドソンの『ドリームミックスTV ワールドファイターズ』に続き2度目となる。

ソニックにおいては前作の頃から要望があったが、時間の関係で実現できなかったという話があり、また「世界で最も参戦が望まれていたキャラクター」であったという[5]。なお、ソニックはマリオファミリーとは既に『マリオ&ソニック AT 北京オリンピック』での競演が実現している。

また、新規参戦となるリュカは前作『大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズDX』において参戦する予定だった[6]がNINTENDO64版『MOTHER3』の開発中止のため結局参戦しなかったという経緯があり、その後ゲームボーイアドバンス用ソフトとしてようやくMOTHER3が完成したため参戦となった。

一方、本作に関する情報が公開されて間もないうちに、前作に登場した内の何人かは削られることになると語られている。

Familiar? If I'm not mistaken, those are the last paragraphs of the so-called article. Unless the journalist published a shameless copy-paste just after giving away huge spoilers, that is :lol

Milabrega

AlternativeUlster said:
This should be watched by everyone. Fucking amazing.

Yeah that fight is amazing. So is that Aniki Link fight. Heck all of Aniki's Link fights. Has anyone given thought to the possibility that blizzard would have attempted to get a starcraft character into brawl? Is there some reason that wouldn't happen?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
MarkMan said:
Almost all chars are returning. One thing of note though, Sonic is a bitch to unlock. :lol
Like I said in the other thread.

PLEASE don't let Sakurai have gotten an idea from the EGM April Fool's Joke, and made it 20 defeated Alloys in Cruel Melee.

Firestorm

Damn. Wrong tab.

I will save it by saying "Crushed, wait for stream and fast forward you r-tard"

I'll also use this opportunity to say SAKURAI GIVE US A CREW BATTLE MODE PLEASE LOVE YOU MUCH K THNX

Edit: Wait a sec, this was the right tab. Sort of. MarkMan hi. Young Link? Hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom