• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
r3XtTfd.jpg

Walkure Romanze - Shoujo Kishi Monogatari (NO. Gomesu) 7

Took him 7 chapters but he finally accepted to coach Celia.

Really refreshing to see best girl winning for once.

Wiseblade

Really? You've been pushed to the brink of complete despair by the person you value most in the world rejecting you AND in turn felt that the only way to regain some sense of self efficacy was to promote the one, impossibly grand ambition you obsess about (obsess, not merely have), which ALSO coincides with a somewhat risky, but surefire way to realize said ambition if it succeeds opportunity AND you shrugged it off without the slightest temptation due to clear logical thinking? I'd like to hear that story then. The point of the comparison is not that you have done something similar and refrained from making a mistake like he did, but that you may have done something similar, but it was in far less proportion. Griffith's situation is fairly unique, not just by the things that have to coincide for it to happen, but also that the sheer audacity of his ambition and hidden guilt can't be matched by anything a real person can do nowadays, unless you've been working all your life to be president or something and have crushed hundreds of people to get there and you have massive suppressed guilt and empathy towards others. If you really think you have a situation that is analogues to his situation, then it's really a situation that is worth hearing about. Do tell, really.
You asked if I've made a mistake before. You asked if I've acted against my own interests in anger before.

Also, it's not about fame for him anymore. It used to be, when he was younger and just thought it'd be cool to be king. But present to the story happening, he's pushing for his dream not because he wants it for himself anymore (or atleast not entirely), but because he wants to make the sacrifices he made mean something. "Fame and fortune" aren't analogues here either. And you really don't understand what 'not thinking straight' means if you think 'any idiot could have seen the consequences of what would happen'. You don't think at all when you are that in that state of shock, you react automatically, and he did the only thing that could possibly make him feel better about losing control of someone so important to him that he thought he had control of.
If his ambition meant that much to him, then he shouldn't have squandered it so quickly. Instead he used those closest to him, the people who got him that far in the first place, as a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Lastly, and this truly worries me, do you honestly think it's reasonable to demand someone to 'suffer the consequences' when those consequences are being mutilated and tortured and living a cripple because of a single night of weakness? Griffith didn't do anything wrong by having sex with charlotte. Well, he was using her, but she consented, so it's a relatively minor sin. But that's all he did. He had comfort sex with a consenting woman. And, as I explained in the previous post, it's really not as risky as you make it out to be. What were really maid would see it at that unfortunate time, report it, and there was even a way out if Charlotte had been a bit more quick witted and said it was her period. It wasn't THAT insane. And for this he deserves torture and mutilation? I mean, would you go to a paraplegic and tell him he deserves his disability because he was stupid enough not to properly check his parachute when skydiving? Really, what the fuck, man. What Griffith suffered through is something so inhumane, no one deserves it to happen to them, especially when it was done in a time where you weren't rational. What he did to heal himself is also wrong, obviously, but it's kind of sick that to tell a person they should just shut up and deal with things of that nature. What Griffith did was monsterous and of course the hawks didn't deserve it, but I might easily do the same in the height of despair. Not because I'm evil, but because being tortured and taken everything in life from me will leave me with nothing to live for, and here comes someone with offering to give me everything back and knows how to propose it in EXACTLY the right way? Even if by some miracle I have the moral fortitude to refuse, to say that it wouldn't be the greatest temptation of my life would be a lie. Because at that time, no one is thinking about whats moral or right or anything. Hypothetically, there may be some people who resist even in those circumstances, but they would be extremely rare. Yeah, what Griffith did was wrong, but when it's the choice between doing wrong and being miserable for the rest of your life, almost everyone will happily cut any ties to morality they have. Hell, there are people in worse parts of the world will shoot someone for the slightest convienence, like being in the way. To say that the choice is easy in circumstance's like griffiths is just disingenuous.
Why are you bringing real world morality into this? It's totally irrelevant. The point is that he broke the rules of the world he lives in and passed the consequences on to those closest to him. It doesn't matter that he was ruthlessly tortured for a year. What matters is that he made his companions suffer a fate many times worse to fix it. He literally raped the mind out of the one person in the world who loved him the most, and cursed the one person who respected him the most to be haunted by demons for the rest of his life.

Why are you bringing real world morality into this? It's totally irrelevant. The point is that he broke the rules of the world he lives in and passed the consequences on to those closest to him. It doesn't matter that he was ruthlessly tortured for a year. What matters is that he made his companions suffer a fate many times worse to fix it. He literally raped the mind out of the one person in the world who loved him the most, and cursed the one person who respected him the most to be haunted by demons for the rest of his life.

That's the way I see things. Griffith may have been sort of a good guy in the beginning, and may have only done this stuff because his whole life got turned upside down. It still doesn't forgive that he killed his whole army. Just looking over that chapter is just brutal the way they each one of them died. I felt so bad when the one guy that wanted to start a clothing shop and always talked about how he can't amount to anything without Griffith, get his stomach ripped open while he was crying. That was messed up. Along with the other guy that only became a knight to impress this one girl who always thought he was some petty thief. If I remember correctly a demon pretended to be a girl, then turned into some alien looking thing and ripped him apart (if that's the same guy iirc).

I don't understand this debate you guys are having.

It's like all of you are agreeing with each other aggressively.

I like to respect people's arguments, so I'm not a very critical conservationist. I also like all the talk about Berserk, it makes me want to start reading it again. First I have to get through a little more of Assassination Classroom before I begin.

Too much Berserk isn't good for the soul. I need some comedy to clean up some of the dark scenario's I've been reading.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Shit's getting real in One Piece, hopefully Oda lets the SH cut loose and we can see how much powerful they got since that 2 years skip.

Also to anyone that says Oda's art suck, that panel with the Underground Port, shittttttttt!! Dude's imagination never fails to impress.

Yonafunu

This was Femto though. Femto and Griffith aren't really the same thing.

I like to respect people's arguments, so I'm not a very critical conservationist. I also like all the talk about Berserk, it makes me want to start reading it again. First I have to get through a little more of Assassination Classroom before I begin.

Too much Berserk isn't good for the soul. I need some comedy to clean up some of the dark scenario's I've been reading.

Bleach
tumblr_mxz3yl7Lu71sxm545o7_250.png

Finally an actually good chapter that shows just how every chapter of a final arc is supposed to be. Renji had tons of great panels, excellent lines, and just worked magnificently to crush the bland opponents. If only he had done the same thing for Hisagi and even Hitsugaya. Still maybe everyone else will get such a good chapter like this done for them before the series closes out. Im ready for Ichigo to return if Renji was able to get such a power increase and throwing nothing but a slash and etc.

One Piece

No real interesting or even interesting character on Doflamingo's crew makes it difficult to even care for any of them or share a connection. I hope we can race through this stuff as its starting to drag. Way too much text continues to hinder the impact of this arc at times still.

Veelk

Banned
You asked if I've made a mistake before. You asked if I've acted against my own interests in anger before.

Yes, to help you understand that whatever your situation was, Griffith's was an intensified version of that and then the eclipse was an almost infinitized version of that. Your self control in your sitaution, unless your situation was truly comparable to his, is irrevelent. So, again, if you've been crushing lives so as to become a dictator or something, I would love to hear that story. Otherwise, it's like seeing guts use his sword and saying "Yeah, well I lifted a stick once, it wasn't that hard, so whats impressive about Guts wielding that thing."

If his ambition meant that much to him, then he shouldn't have squandered it so quickly. Instead he used those closest to him, the people who got him that far in the first place, as a get-out-of-jail-free card.

No, I'm talking about his normal Commander of the Hawks state. Once Guts leaves him and the Eclipse happens, he's no longer in a normal state, it's basically been driven into shock. And I don't understand how you don't get what "not being in his right mind" means. You don't act like you normally do when you are in depressive shock or especially been mutilated and tortured through the years. Things like "I shouldn't do this obviously stupid thing" don't register any more than if you were really drunk. It is literally an altered state of mind.

Morality doesn't magically change when you go into the fictional world. Well, not unless basic laws of physics of what happens when you do things that would normally be harmful to others have been changed. Like, if stabbing someone, instead of harming them, instead just brought them a euphoric feeling with no ill side effects, then yeah, stabbing people would be a polite thing to do. But as far as I know, human beings psychology, biology, and basic physics remain the same. So telling someone to suffer because of one stupid mistake is still as bad there as it would be in real life. Agan, do you go to cripples and tell them they deserve to lose their limbs over whatever illadvised discision lead them to that?

As for the rules...you're saying he broke the rules? Are you referring to the King's rules? The one who only objects to their union (disregarding the wishes of the daughter that was supposedly defiled in the process) because he wants his own daughter? And you're saying he has the right to torture a guy for having consensual sex with her before trying to rape her himself? Because that's what you're arguing. Kings of the Berserk world have no rules to abide by and they are free to do basically whatever they wish. So you are so if you are going to stick to that position, that the King's rules go regardless of reasoning, and the King wanted to have sex with Charlotte, you will also have to literally argue that Charlotte was morally wrong for not letting her father rape her and fighting back. Is that the guy whose side you want to take?

As for what Griffith did in the eclipse, obviously that's wrong. I never said it wasn't. I am not defending his actions. But you are writing his character and the entire sitation off to be more simple than it actually is. He wasn't just twirling a mustache. This wasn't simple selfishness. This was the complete ruination of everything the man ever was. In his moments of weakness, he had his life crash all around him. And in his moment of utmost despair, in the worst possible moment, he was tempted with a way out. Again, I argue no one has the moral fortitude or will to say no in those circumstances. Which change the fact that it was wrong. It's monsterous, in fact. But he didn't deserve the torture, especially not just because of comfort sex, and while his sacrifice is definitively and horrifically wrong, it's the worst and most terrifying part of it is that it is a decision that the vast majority of us would almost certainly make in the wake of having everything in our lives taken from us the way it was for him.

My final point, I suppose I'm saying, is that Griffith isn't evil. He's something both worse and better. He's human. It doesn't excuse what he did. It might make it worse, if anything, because we see cliche villains doing cliche villainy all the time without batting an eye. But it's a disservice to the writing to just write him off, especially if you have no better reasoning for it other than the incest rape king says so.

Assassination Classroom 1-11

I have to say, at first I wasn't getting the comedy. After getting a few more chapters in I started to get the comedy there trying to go for. Koro-sensei is supposed to be this big destroyer of earth but he sometimes acts like a responsible teacher, is very apologetic, and changes colors depending on his emotion. While it's not laugh out loud funny yet, I am enjoying the story.

My favorite scene so far was when the assassin women was seducing him, and he didn't even change a color. That was funny.

I think my only problem so far is that after Koro-sensei, the other characters are pretty boring. Even the main character doesn't do much except examine Koro-sensei. I'm guessing over time they'll go more in-depth with all the characters, but for now it's pretty dry.

Akito

Oricon Comic Rankings December 9th - December 15th

01. Shingeki no Kyojin #12 (924,685 / 1,015,384)
02. Shingeki no Kyojin Limited Edition #12 (304,992 / 327,119)
03. Naruto #67 (164,277 / 817,901)
04. Chihayafuru #23 (163,048)
05. Soul Eater #25 (127,423)
06. Shingeki no Kyojin Before the Fall #1 (125,595 / 125,954)
07. Kuroko no Basket #25 (118,850 / 478,803)
08. Bleach #61 (106,620 / 468,608)
09. Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou #3 (91,625 / 91,777)
10. One Punch-man #5 (84,254 / 270,341)
11. Nichijou #9 (81,676 / 126,687)
12. Worst #33 (67,222 / 211,951)
13. Gintama #52 (65,603 / 268,269)
14. To Love-Ru Darkness #9 (65,420 / 224,491)
15. Shokugeki no Souma #5 (61,392 / 249,257)
16. Kangoku Gakuen #11 (58,691 / 112,121)
17. Kinou Nani Tabeta? #8 (56,222 / 218,604)
18. Sakamoto Desuga? #2 (51,284 / 603,780)
19. Soul Eater Not! #3 (50,740)
20. Claymore #25 (46,859 / 162,459)
21. Kuragehime #13 (45,985)
22. Gekijou-ban Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica [Shinpen] Hangyaku no Monogatari #2 (45,690)
23. Kantai Collection -Kankore- Comic À la carte Maizuru Chinjufu-hen #2 (36,971 / 61,323)
24. Kishibe Rohan wa Ugokanai (36,879 / 422,994)
25. P to JK #3 (35,806)
26. One Piece #72 (34,093 / 2,573,637)
27. Yowamushi Pedal #31 (33,073 / 76,804)
28. Shingeki no Kyojin #11 (30,594 / 1,527,580)
29. Sakamoto Desuga? #1 (29,465 / 1,013,750)
30. Torikae Baya #3 (29,365)
31. Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshuu Utakoi。#4 (28,400)
32. Kantai Collection -Kankore- 4-koma Comic Fubuki, Ganbarimasu #1 (28,324)
33. Terra Formars #7 (28,235 / 475,310)
34. Akagi #28 (28,216)
35. Liar×Liar #5 (27,662)
36. Kanojo wa Uso o Aishi Sugietru #13 (27,555 / 166,004)
37. Saint Seiya Next Dimension Meiou Shinwa #8 (27,286 / 62,827)
38. Hidoku Shinaide #4 (27,173)
39. Real #13 (27,053 / 416,444)
40. Saiki Kusuo no Sainan #7 (27,020 / 88,152)
41. Sengoku Ichiryuuki #6 (26,878 / 54,658)
42. Good Morning Kiss #11 (26,676)
43. Honey Bitter #9 (24,159)
44. Shingeki no Kyojin #10 (22,348 / 1,970,264)
45. Ohkiku Furikabutte #22 (22,149 / 315,248)
46. Shingeki no Kyojin #1 (22,097 / 2,404,501)
47. Shin Sekai Yori #5 (22,042)
48. Meitantei Conan #81 (21,625 / 449,677)
49. Shingeki no Kyojin #2 (21,220 / 2,336,040)
50. Ajin #3 (21,029 / 216,169)

SnK overkill, but most importantly:

29. Sakamoto Desuga? #1 (29,465 / 1,013,750)
:bow:

Its been a while since some Berserk discussion in this thread aka Griffith is a asshole.

"How will
Guts stand a chance since Griffith is broken as fuck"
remains the number one question I have for that series ("will
they ever reach Elf island"
is a close second lol)

Swagmoto is still swagging :O

Korosenai

Toriko

The translation seems to be out.

Really glad Komatsu got his time to shine after the craziness that happened this arc. Also, it seems the next chapter is gonna be 25 pages long.

So after reading the first 5 volumes of Shonan Junai Gumi, I am somehow liking it even more than GTO. Perfect blend of comedy and action. It's a shame that volumes 8 and 9 are pretty damn rare, would have like to own the complete series. Supposedly the series didn't do too well in the US, but will get all of them besides those two. Hopefully somehow will be able to read Great Transporter Ryuji and Saejima's spinoff manga too. But can't find them in English anywhere.

Eyeshield 21 ~270

Didn't we already have this plot line about the "real" es21 and how it wasn't Sena but it was some other guy who Sena went on to defeat and surpass? Why is there yet another "real" eyeshield 21?

Kuroko

It would have been great to have introduced these characters before hand, so when the climax match comes they would be known for what they contribute. What a shit writing.

Toriko

Komatsu is a dumbass.

wonzo

Banned
Yuri Seijin Naoko-san 1
A girl named Misuzu rushes home in order to see her elder sister, Naoko. When she arrives there, however, she finds her sister has been replaced by a self-proclaimed yurian who seeks to conquer the world by 'yurifying' it.

The two OVA's were pretty decent so I'll definitely give this series a go as its translated. Though i doubt this'll ever be as amazing as the ED for the second one was.

Hantsu x Trash 24-26

I'm miss the hot teacher but the new lesbian girl ain't a bad substitute.

Donyatsu 30

Mob Psycho 100 16

Y'know, Mob's teacher sure is a pretty good one even if he is a fraud.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Its been a while since some Berserk discussion in this thread aka Griffith is a asshole.

"How will
is a close second lol)

The later answers the former!

The answer's Never :/

Kurita

Eyeshield 21 ~270

Didn't we already have this plot line about the "real" es21 and how it wasn't Sena but it was some other guy who Sena went on to defeat and surpass? Why is there yet another "real" eyeshield 21?
Because that's the real one! He's the one Kakei played against when he was in the USA.
That dude from the Bando Spiders was an imposter.

upandaway

Toriko

Well that was fast. Komatsu's still getting even more hyped up.

If he's excused, does that mean Toriko can just pick him up without fighting anyone? From this point on I doubt the Bishokukai will be fully enemies like they've been so far.

"How will
is a close second lol)

To be honest, how
Guts will beat Griffith was never a problem for me, because in fact I hope the end isn't simple as "the MC beats the bad guy". I would prefer that Griffith's end is done by his own hubris. Maybe in the end his little fantasy kingdom idea wasn't as good as he expected. I hope for karma.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Toriko

Damn it Komatsu, what are you doing? You were doing so well avoiding the idiot ball, and now you're firmly grasping it.

LeleSocho

Banned
Toriko
I'm sure that's how Komatsu will look when he'll meet again with Toriko
YrAM0L9.png

Donyatsu 30
I don't know who i like more Donyatsu or Menchi :p

Kuroko no Basket 243

Focus is shifting to the centers. Little disappointed that the shooting guard face-off ended as abruptly as it did. It did help give a little back story, but you can feel Fujimaki doing his best to stretch this match out. There's still enough time in the match to make things more exciting, but I have a feeling that won't happen until we shift to dealing with Akashi directly.

Nordicus

Imawabi no Dakini 1-7

Picked this up because its cover picture looked rather interesting, and fortunately the content is as nice if not better

This series is a slightly darker twist on the usual "Average high school boy has a childhood friend (girl obviously), tragedy strikes, he gets super powers and uses these to save this childhood friend" premise

In this manga, the protagonist has to work as a servant of the Demon Fox Goddess Dakini, slaying monsters who are more than happy to kill in gruesome ways, ranging from strangulation to chomping off a woman's entire chest area in one bite.

This fox goddess has possessed the childhood friend's body and will not let her go until she has, in essence, been fed enough. And god damn, Dakini is the best (though has competition even this early for "best girl")

God-tier tongue
pun sorta intended

You might have already noticed, but the art is pretty damn great. The character designs of the humans aren't that out of the ordinary, but there's this really nice rough detail in every panel, kind of reminds me of Akumetsu or Zetman at times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom