• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I got a PS4 and man, I have PC envy. I've never been a PC gamer but it appeals to me now. Especially all the good Steam sales. I think it's for me.

Is there anything new on the horizon? Should I wait for anything? I'm looking to buy in February for about $800.

Part of me thinks it's a bad time to jump in. New consoles just released, Steambox is on its way, Oculous Rift is coming. Major changes to the industry that I might do well to wait out.

Anyway, thanks, guys. I've always envied PC gaming. I want to be in your club.

Chocobro

Bit of a random question, how do I disable UAC for a program? It's annoying to boot my PC and have UAC pop up for Samsung Magician blah blah, Yes/No. I don't want to fully disable UAC; all of the workarounds I've seen are for Windows 7.

NoRéN

I got a PS4 and man, I have PC envy. I've never been a PC gamer but it appeals to me now. Especially all the good Steam sales. I think it's for me.

Is there anything new on the horizon? Should I wait for anything? I'm looking to buy in February for about $800.

Part of me thinks it's a bad time to jump in. New consoles just released, Steambox is on its way, Oculous Rift is coming. Major changes to the industry that I might do well to wait out.

Anyway, thanks, guys. I've always envied PC gaming. I want to be in your club.

Something new is always on the horizon, which is one of the great things about the platform but as far as I know, there isn't anything major coming until closer to the end of 2014. AMD just launched their newest cards and Nvidia launched their refreshes in response.

Zhengi

Quick question. I have an Intel Q8300 cpu that is an LGA775 socket. I was wondering if I can use a newer motherboard with it instead of an older motherboard. Thanks for any help.

kennah

Quick question. I have an Intel Q8300 cpu that is an LGA775 socket. I was wondering if I can use a newer motherboard with it instead of an older motherboard. Thanks for any help.
No. You would need to change motherboard, cpu and probably ram.

ScOULaris

Case fan question time!

I recently built a mid-range gaming computer with this case.

As you can see from the listing, it comes with two case fans included. One 120mm on the bottom front with intake filters and one exhaust in the rear. The case also has mounting points for more fans all over, including two on the side, two on top, and one more in the front. The ones on the side and top take 120mm or 140mm fans.

I plan on buying two more fans for this case, and I'd like some advice on the best placement. I was thinking about adding another 120mm intake fan to the front and a big 140mm exhaust right on top above my mobo, CPU... etc. The top exhaust fan would probably create a bit of negative pressure in the case, which is good for getting rid of unwanted heat but potentially more of a draw for dust and dog hairs... etc.

I am also open to the idea of using side intake fans if there is a good reason to, but I don't have dust filters on the side.

kharma45

No more than £250ish, basically want a componenets that can use the 7870 to its full potential, so it doesn't have to exceed 7870, just don't want 7870 to be bottlenecked by the CPU and RAM

Bottlenecks vary, sometimes they're CPU dependent and sometimes GPU. For £250 you'll be looking at something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£100.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile Vengeance Memory (£60.62)
Other: Intel Core i3 4130 Dual Core CPU Retail (Socket 1150, 3.4GHz, 3MB, 54W, Extended Memory 64 Technology, Execute Disable Bit) (£88.87)
Total: £250.13
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-27 18:35 GMT+0000)

The Z series motherboard means you can drop in an unlocked i5 or i7 down the line to overclock.

Case fan question time!

As you can see from the listing, it comes with two case fans included. One 120mm on the bottom front with intake filters and one exhaust in the rear. The case also has mounting points for more fans all over, including two on the side, two on top, and one more in the front. The ones on the side and top take 120mm or 140mm fans.

I plan on buying two more fans for this case, and I'd like some advice on the best placement. I was thinking about adding another 120mm intake fan to the front and a big 140mm exhaust right on top above my mobo, CPU... etc. The top exhaust fan would probably create a bit of negative pressure in the case, which is good for getting rid of unwanted heat but potentially more of a draw for dust and dog hairs... etc.

I am also open to the idea of using side intake fans if there is a good reason to, but I don't have dust filters on the side.

What do you need extra fans for? I've the 200R and probably shouldn't really have bothered adding more. A second at the front and one above the CPU cooler would be my recommendation if you must add more.

kennah

Case fan question time!

Is your computer running too hot or too quiet? Then add more fans. If not, just leave it be. Stuff isn't as sensitive to heat as it used to be, especially if you already have a good cooler on your CPU.

ScOULaris

Is your computer running too hot or too quiet? Then add more fans. If not, just leave it be. Stuff isn't as sensitive to heat as it used to be, especially if you already have a good cooler on your CPU.

Well, I am running on an AMD CPU and a motherboard that tends to run a little hot under heavy load. So I wouldn't mind having better airflow in there in case I want to do some light overclocking in the future.

KAL2006

Banned
Bottlenecks vary, sometimes they're CPU dependent and sometimes GPU. For £250 you'll be looking at something like this

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£100.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile Vengeance Memory (£60.62)
Other: Intel Core i3 4130 Dual Core CPU Retail (Socket 1150, 3.4GHz, 3MB, 54W, Extended Memory 64 Technology, Execute Disable Bit) (£88.87)
Total: £250.13
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-27 18:35 GMT+0000)

The Z series motherboard means you can drop in an unlocked i5 or i7 down the line to overclock.

What do you need extra fans for? I've the 200R and probably shouldn't really have bothered adding more. A second at the front and one above the CPU cooler would be my recommendation if you must add more.

Sorry to to change my mind, I am willing to up my budget to £300, again if my GPU (7870) is too weak then I wouldnt need to go crazy on CPU if the GPU bottlenecks it, basically I want a good balance between GPU and CPU. Also I would like to be able to emulate Wii with Dolphon (official site lists Intel i5-2500k or better CPU for good emulation)

kharma45

Sorry to to change my mind, I am willing to up my budget to £300, again if my GPU (7870) is too weak then I wouldnt need to go crazy on CPU if the GPU bottlenecks it, basically I want a good balance between GPU and CPU. Also I would like to be able to emulate Wii with Dolphon (official site lists Intel i5-2500k or better CPU for good emulation)

4670K would be ideal (it's two gens newer than the 2500K) but you're talking around £335 to switch to it.

kharma45

Is it a good idea to go with Intel i3 with the next gen being 8 core AMD systems. Wouldn't future PC games be more optimized for AMD 8 core CPU's.

What do you think of the following

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009O7YUF6/?tag=pcp0f-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009O7YU56/?tag=ho01f-21

The consoles make have lots of cores (6 available for games iirc) but they're weak as shit next to an i3. The FX line isn't recommendable. Take a look at this from some modern games, the FX can only just about win in one
tv0QUC6.png

Csey5ln.png

oDgifx4.png

9UAecfv.png

u6iTzsQ.png

Power hungry, perform worse, dead socket. I can't recommend them. Intel stuff shits all over them, and more so in emulation.

KAL2006

Banned
The consoles make have lots of cores (6 available for games iirc) but they're weak as shit next to an i3. The FX line isn't recommendable. Take a look at this from some modern games, the FX can only just about win in one

Power hungry, perform worse, dead socket. I can't recommend them. Intel stuff shits all over them, and more so in emulation.

Youve convinced me, I am going to go with your recommendation but the i5 4670k instead of the i3 for emulation purposes with Dolphin. Before I carry on, will the components be compatible with my Case and PSU, also would I need a cooler (don't want one as I am already over budget).

http://www.ebuyer.com/143854-antec-300-three-hundred-case-0761345-08300-3

and I have a Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU with that case

kharma45

Total War: Rome II is now free with any i5 or i7 in the US and Canada

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=8008671011

http://promotions.newegg.com/intel/13-6075/index.html

http://source.ncix.com/Intel-FREE-Rome2/index.html

Youve convinced me, I am going to go with your recommendation but the i5 4670k instead of the i3 for emulation purposes with Dolphin. Before I carry on, will the components be compatible with my Case and PSU, also would I need a cooler (don't want one as I am already over budget).

It's all compatible, and the CPU will come with a cooler. To overclock properly you need one, and a £25 Hyper 212 can do that for you. Since your budget is properly stretched now it can wait until later.

Edit - Swapping to this RAM will save you £7 http://www.cclonline.com/product/12...Series-DDR3-8GB-2x4GB-Desktop-Memory/RAM1620/

kennah

He ha recommended the i5 to you :p

And yes case and psu are fine.

kharma45

What do you expect will be changed about the build recommendations?

Kaveri will appear in the SFF ones, and the 290/290X may appear in the higher end stuff once prices normalise and the coin mining bubble collapses. That'd see the return of the 280X too and a few other cards.

KAL2006

Banned

Thorgal

Got an issue with starting my PC up .

Sometimes the PC stays hanging on the Windows start up screen and then nothing happens .

A quick reboot solves the issue but sometimes i have to that 2 -3 times before it started up proper .

Any idea what the issue might be ?

I never realized there was such a gap between 3rd and 4th gen i3 processors

have a question. My nephews windows 7 laptop had an issue with part of his kb messing up. First it typed the wrong letters then died. We ran virus scans and cleaned it out but it didn't help. So I reformatted from the disc but there is still a partition that it wouldn't let me touch. This is a prebuilt HP laptop running windows 7. Well the reformat worked and everything was working again which made me think it wasn't a hardware issue but now the same thing is starting to happen again 3 days later.

I this some kinda nasty virus or is it perhaps the HDD or kb?

DedValve

Banned
Fuck I forgot about the SFF bit. Would bump it up another $30 to go for the bare minimum

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z87I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($35.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($32.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $551.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-26 11:24 EST-0500)

Thank you so much for this! So simply checking the CPU (I'm still not sure how to accurately "rank" GPUs) it looks like I will meet recommended requirements of the latest games, BF4, AC4, CoD. And these games are pretty unoptomized.

Regarding graphics I know there's a "war" between Nvidia and some other graphics card company (I forget its name despite there being so many threads on it!).

The GPU is the part that I will be upgrading most right? I don't want to jump in completely in building a PC yet (thanks for those win8 links though, that will be a big money saver!).

Basically I won't even bother building a PC unless I can have something that can rival or surpass a next gen console. Since I'll be buying pieces 1 at a time (on every pay day) I can afford to spend a little more than willing. I mostly just want something long term (as long term as a PC can get).

GPUs are also the most expensive parts I wager?

tr4656

Thank you so much for this! So simply checking the CPU (I'm still not sure how to accurately "rank" GPUs) it looks like I will meet recommended requirements of the latest games, BF4, AC4, CoD. And these games are pretty unoptomized.

Regarding graphics I know there's a "war" between Nvidia and some other graphics card company (I forget its name despite there being so many threads on it!).

The GPU is the part that I will be upgrading most right? I don't want to jump in completely in building a PC yet (thanks for those win8 links though, that will be a big money saver!).

Basically I won't even bother building a PC unless I can have something that can rival or surpass a next gen console. Since I'll be buying pieces 1 at a time (on every pay day) I can afford to spend a little more than willing. I mostly just want something long term (as long term as a PC can get).

Generally,yes GPU will be the most expensive component.

kharma45

The 4670K is a great CPU, and in terms of their mid-range offerings it's their top i5. Above it is the i7 4770 and 4770K, but it's a better chip at the minute than the 4770 as it has an unlocked multiplier to overclock. I'd only rate the i7 4770K as being better than it.

GPU wise it comes down to Nvidia and AMD. As for rivalling next gen consoles, a GTX 660 or a 7870 would put you just ahead of them GPU wise. CPU wise the i5 creams what they offer.

GPUs generally are the most expensive part, but it all comes down to what you want to pay and what performance you want from your machine.

DedValve

Banned
The 4670K is a great CPU, and in terms of their mid-range offerings it's their top i5. Above it is the i7 4770 and 4770K, but it's a better chip at the minute than the 4770 as it has an unlocked multiplier to overclock. I'd only rate the i7 4770K as being better than it.

GPU wise it comes down to Nvidia and AMD. As for rivalling next gen consoles, a GTX 660 or a 7870 would put you just ahead of them GPU wise. CPU wise the i5 creams what they offer.

GPUs generally are the most expensive part, but it all comes down to what you want to pay and what performance you want from your machine.

So lets say I want the average AAA game (since those would be the most taxing games graphically) at a really high resolution and framerate?

The resolution would be decided by GPU and I'm assuming framerate is handled by CPU (or a mix of both). Did my homework a little on that CPU and it seems great.

As for actually building this thing are there any tools I need or would the case you mention just have everything "snap" together?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kharma doing work.

Can't believe it's almost the new year too. I should probably just make a note of AMD card prices and update the sheets so I can go over the rest of the OP. Zzzzzzzzz

DedValve

Banned
So I'm looking at SSD's (for the OS and startup) and HDDs for gaming.

Is this a good HDD?

Seagate - 2TB
InterfaceSATA 6 Gb/s
Cache 64MB
RPM - 7200
3.5"

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st2000vx000

2TB might be a bit excessive, I'd honestly be happy with 750GB or even 500GB for now.

How dramatic is RPM? I see some are 7200 and some are 10k and cache sizes? I'll keep my eye out for a good >1TB HDD as I won't have a bunch of games occupying space anytime soon.

EDIT: I found a samsung one, 720GB at 5400 RPM but only 8mb cache

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-hnm750mbb

kennah

Is this a good HDD?

Seagate - 2TB
InterfaceSATA 6 Gb/s
Cache 64MB
RPM - 7200
3.5"

2TB might be a bit excessive, I'd honestly be happy with 750GB or even 500GB for now.

How dramatic is RPM? I see some are 7200 and some are 10k and cache sizes? I'll keep my eye out for a good >1TB HDD as I won't have a bunch of games occupying space anytime soon.

Doesn't really matter. All hard drives are terrible these days. assume that your data is already gone, keep backups of important stuff. (And use an SSD for your os)

Is this a good HDD?

Seagate - 2TB
InterfaceSATA 6 Gb/s
Cache 64MB
RPM - 7200
3.5"

2TB is good, especially now that we've moved into the next console gen and the games might explode in size thanks to the two main systems have Blu-Ray drives.

Guys I'm in desperate need of a new mouse/Keyboard. Any recommendations?

Looking for less than $50 on both, or at least less than $40 on a "gaming" mouse since thats the real issue. The right click is really janky with multiple clicking when trying to hold it down ect. and I just don't like my stock keyboard is all, been working fine lol.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I see the Bitfenix Prodigy is fairly popular. Can anyone tell me if the Cooler Master GX750 will fit in it? The dimensions for the PS are 150X140X86.

Jono

Neo Member
So I'm thinking of building a small form factor PC to game on as at the moment all i have computer wise is a Retina MBP.

What do you think of the following build?

CPU - Intel - BX80646I54670K

Motherboard - ASUS - Z87I-PRO

Graphics - MSI - R9 290 4GD5 BF4

Memory - G.Skill - F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL

HDD/SSD - SanDisk - SDSSDXP-120G-Q25

HDD #2 - Seagate Barracuda 3tb

Optical Drive - LG - CH12NS30

Case - BitFenix - PRODIGY-BK 1

Power Supply - Corsair - CMPSU-RM850

CPU Cooling - Corsair - CWCH80i

Any input would be much appreciated :)

22g2.jpg

Building tomorrow :D

e: quick question. I'm gonna be re-using this 2TB HDD I have right now, but I'll install 8.1 on the SSD. I need to find a way to remove 7 from the HDD, right? I could see the two OSs not playing nice with each other.. what's the simplest way to do that?

e2: I think I've figured it out. Keep the HDD out until I've got 8.1 installed on the SSD, then hook up and format the HDD. Simple.

Guys I'm in desperate need of a new mouse/Keyboard. Any recommendations?

Looking for less than $50 on both, or at least less than $40 on a "gaming" mouse since thats the real issue. The right click is really janky with multiple clicking when trying to hold it down ect. and I just don't like my stock keyboard is all, been working fine lol.

G400/G400S for the mouse hands down.

anyone have experience with dual xeons for video editing?

i was thinking of this:

motherboard: ASUS Z9PE-D16/2L

cpu: Xeon Six-Core Processor E5-2630 v2 2.6GHz

GPU: Titan or 780 Ti

RAM: 64GB DDR3 2100mhz of whatever

Programs i'll be using is Adobe premeire CC, After effects CC, and Da Vinci Resolve.
i'll be editing R3D 4k footage and/or 2.5k Cdng sequences. i just want something that can play back raw footage at real time at 1080p. thx in advance.

Jburton

Banned
So guys are we expecting Maxwell core Nvidia products this year? ......... is that the one to contain the big jump (I think it was crazy memory bandwidth or something like that).

Also new Haswell version this year worth waiting for?

anyone have experience with dual xeons for video editing?

i was thinking of this:

motherboard: ASUS Z9PE-D16/2L

cpu: Xeon Six-Core Processor E5-2630 v2 2.6GHz

GPU: Titan or 780 Ti

RAM: 64GB DDR3 2100mhz of whatever

Programs i'll be using is Adobe premeire CC, After effects CC, and Da Vinci Resolve.
i'll be editing R3D raw footage and/or Cdng sequences. i just want something that can play back raw footage at real time.
or should i go for a 8core xeon (32core threaded)?
thx in advance.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Something new is always on the horizon, which is one of the great things about the platform but as far as I know, there isn't anything major coming until closer to the end of 2014. AMD just launched their newest cards and Nvidia launched their refreshes in response.

Great, thanks. I'm not timely on the video card schedule so I'd hate to buy something today for something new to be released tomorrow. Heck, I have no idea what those model numbers mean.

To me, though, Steambox, Oculus Rift, and new consoles being out seem like they'll impact PCs greatly. Could be positive, could be negative. But those are big changes to the industry, IMO. Looking forward to it. I should have bought a PC instead of a PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom