• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobro

Am I seeing things or do you have the GPU plugged into the HDD molex connectors using an adapter?

That's bad mojo if you did. Your PSU should have proper cables.

An 8-pin and a 6-pin adapter came with the GPU and I used them both. Is that wrong? The 6-pin one splits into two molex conncetions. If I recall correctly, the cables that came with the PSU weren't long enough when having them come from the back so I used the 8-pin adapter for that.

An 8-pin and a 6-pin adapter came with the GPU and I used them both. Is that wrong? The 6-pin one splits into two molex conncetions. If I recall correctly, the cables that came with the PSU weren't long enough when having them come from the back so I used the 8-pin adapter for that.

Don't use them. Get extensions and plug them in from the front until you do.

That's probably why the machine is rebooting every time you change the fan speed. The PSU just can't supply enough power to that connector and changing the fan speed disrupts the rail enough to make the PSU trip.

Chocobro

Don't use them. Get extensions and plug them in from the front until you do.

That's probably why the machine is rebooting every time you change the fan speed. The PSU just can't supply enough power to that connector and changing the fan speed disrupts the rail enough to make the PSU trip.

Alright, I'll do that. Both cables (6-pin and 8-pin) have to be connected to the GPU though, right?

kennah

Alright, I'll do that. Both cables (6-pin and 8-pin) have to be connected to the GPU though, right?
You should only use those adaptors that came with the video card if your psu doesn't have them

And even then you are better off buying a new psu than using those adaptors. They can cause problems

Chocobro

You should only use those adaptors that came with the video card if your psu doesn't have them

And even then you are better off buying a new psu than using those adaptors. They can cause problems

Thanks guys! I guess this will do:
QBjyTga.jpg
Btw Sir Abacus, the PC still reboots so it doesn't look like it's due to the adapters.

DedValve

Banned
So being the idiot that I am I searched through Steam to see if anything good was on sale for mac (and I filtered it through OS) but then the crashes start and hours later when I hit refresh I had no idea that the filter resetted and I bought Skyrim. Then it wouldn't work. Throughout the entire process I thought how great it would be to play skyrim and I see videos of it looking absolutely glorious and how I envy PC users.

Now I'm heavily thinking of cancelling my Valve Customer Support ticket, keeping the game and building a gaming PC because it just looks too damn good.

I mostly want to design this for my room as a console. It's only purpose will be to game and it will hook up to the tv with a wireless controller at play (is PS4 fully compatible with games or should I stick to the tried and true 360 controller?).

I intend to buy 1 or 2 (depending on price) parts per pay day (I get payed every Friday). I want fantastic graphics and something that can last for a year + playing games on high settings.

Budget: What I'm hoping for through good deals and cutting corners is somewhere along the $500 range.

Main Use: Strictly gaming with even some dolphin (smash bros.) and PCSX2 emulation thrown in the mix.

For Drives I want the smallest SSD possible just for the OS (windows and steam OS when that gets big in the future) so that my PC can boot up fast. I'll stick to a 1tb hdd for gaming for now.

When will you build?: No deadline, depending on price it may take longer. I can wait for deals and such (if you help me where to look!)

Will you be overclocking?: *flails arms in the air* I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS.

Any extra questions?: Since this is going to be a console will there be a way to set it so that I immediately start in Steam Big Picture? I won't connect this thing to a mouse+keyboard so I'm not sure how that will work.

EDIT: What tools will I need to actually build a PC? Screwdrivers, glue, etc. etc. Do I just throw everything in the box, wrap the box with duct tape, do a prayer and push the power button?

For a long time I was thinking of waiting on a steam machine but I keep hearing that I can get a much better deal and more power out of a rig I built myself rather than a stock machine.

I'm completely inept when it comes to PC's so I'm going to assume from my knowledge that the 2 most important things are CPU's (which you don't upgrade often) and GPU's (which you upgrade often).

By often I mean in order to keep up with the brisk pace of gaming. I don't really want to upgrade often and want something that can last me a year+ (2 would be great) playing most games on high settings with HD texture packs. 60 fps is obviously a must.

I was scared of the price but the way I see it, I'm going to blow $400 on a PS4 then an extra $60 on a controller and god knows how much else on each and every single game (even if based PS+ is amazing). I'd rather take all that upfront money and just survive on steam sales until I can start buying new games again.

Also any good deals on Windows 8? Like the idiot that I am I never took advantage as a student to get a free license code and the OS seems to be one of the more expensive parts of a PC.

Games I'm interested (by developer):
Bethesda
Ubisoft
Squeenix
Platinum (here's hoping rising is the first in many, many delicious games)
Souls series
Bungie
Valve
some capcom
maybe EA

I'm going to start looking at stock pcs and study up on CPU types and stuff to see what is needed and what is not.

Now if Capcom could just announce a straight port of Dragons Dogma on the PC I will throw my PS3 out the window and start making this shit today. The only game that I feel really needs a PC port.

GAF, PC help. Woke up and my PC wont load sites completely. It just loads the title and stuck loading forever. Programs work (IMs, Steam, etc). However, everything works fine in my phone. Never changed any setting.

Restarted my router and modem.
Thought it was a DNS problem. Tries 3 different ones. No dice.

I can ping websites fine. They just dont load anything more than the title on my PC.

Qvoth

so i just saw OP, seems like they were last updated September?
are those still relevant?

obviously i don't mean any disrespect, just an honest question

Roland1979

I've read that hybrid PSUs, if you want to use the hybrid function, are better of mounting fan up regardless of bottom filter. It stated that the reason for this is that hybrids often don't have fans rotating unless you use a lot of juice. Upside up is supposedly best since heat climbs. I have the R4 and a hybrid (Seasonic X650) so i'm quite curious right now.

GAF I need your assistance. Was building a new rig. Fired it up, nothing. No POST, a black screen, can't tell what bleeps since it did not came with front panel plugs for that, only power_sw and reset_sw.

Case is a Fractal R4, MoBo a Gigabyte Z77X-UDH3 (1155) rev 1.2, PSU Seasonic X-650, CPU i5-3570k, Ballastix 2x4GB RAM.

I had and have the power connected to the MoBo, but also above the CPU, heatsink (CM 412s). I have and had the heatsink plugged into CPU_FAN. I unplugged everything and have just the power and heat-sink hooked onto the MoBo with 1 stick of RAM. Outside of the chassis it's booting up (fan spinning and power button on MoBo glowing)and telling me the BIOS and been resetted and how i want to proceed. I've read not to use any washer between the standoffs and the MoBo and it needs the chassis for grounding. I used all and exactly the right amount of stand offs and they align perfectly. Could it be shortcircuited? Or was it more likely one of the many plugs i inserted in a wrong way?

Before i start putting things back into the case can GAF please help me how to proceed?
Merry Christmas everyone. A Christmas bump is not a hump nor a lump. Frustrated i get, when i rose out of bed. A black screen for me, is all i will see. Reports of the Grinch near, have i been bad this year?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
GAF, PC help. Woke up and my PC wont load sites completely. It just loads the title and stuck loading forever. Programs work (IMs, Steam, etc). However, everything works fine in my phone. Never changed any setting.

Restarted my router and modem.
Thought it was a DNS problem. Tries 3 different ones. No dice.

I can ping websites fine. They just dont load anything more than the title on my PC.

try putting your gateway's ip as dns. I had the same problem once and this solved it

Just tried, along with flushing DNS. Still the same.

I'm completely stumped. I scanned with Avast and MBAM. Turned off Comodo. Restarted. Nothing. Also, seems like every program that uses a URL of some sort can't load them. I have a game or two that I know uses URLs and they fail to load those parts.

On very rare occasions a website partially loads, but the images are broken and the CSS flatout didnt load.

edit: AVAST's fault. Fixed now.

sn00zer

I need to buy a new modem as my older one does not allow port forwarding and is about 6 years old....is there any information from the old modem that i will need when setting up the new one...also are there anygood cheap modems out there? just looking for something for the house
EDIT: My connection is through a phone line and there is no cable in the house if that matters

Qvoth

building for my brother

thinking of getting i5-4670K on Z87 (4C/4T at 3.4 GHz) for cpu, GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB for gpu and either ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer or MSI Z87-G45 Gaming for motherboard

opinions?

should i bother getting some additional cooling thing? my brother never overclocks though

Jebusman

Banned
building for my brother

thinking of getting i5-4670K on Z87 (4C/4T at 3.4 GHz) for cpu, GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB for gpu and either ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer or MSI Z87-G45 Gaming for motherboard

opinions?

should i bother getting some additional cooling thing? my brother never overclocks though

Doesn't overclock? the 4670K seems a bit silly then. Drop down to the non-K model (4570) if he has no plans to overclock at all. Maybe even something like the 4440. The 100-200MHZ difference between the models really won't mean much outside of benchmark cases. Use the money you'll save to put the GPU one tier higher.

The motherboards also seem a bit much for it, although I couldn't tell you what to replace it with. Any brand loyalty at all or just whatever works?

I'd liiike to be able to run somewhat recent games, but if that's an impossibility then I'm fine with just running older games (ie FEAR 1, TF2, etc.). My standards are "playable": I'm perfectly happy running everything at minimum settings.

The page for the M531R is here:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/laptops#!everyday-laptops

Now that I look at the main page again, I'm seeing a laptop that didn't show up before. It costs the same ($550) and has a discrete GPU: http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17-3721/pd?oc=fncwd229h7&model_id=inspiron-17-3721

And thanks for the hand-holding, man. I'm kind of helpless on my own :)

Hey sorry for the late reply. If those are your two options get the M531R unless you just want to play minecraft at 10 fps :) Laptop GAF has to know some better options/more than I do though. Hopefully they've helped ya out by now.

After looking at benchmarks it seems that in a lot of cases you'd be better off going for a 4430 and spending the extra $50 on a better video card even considering over clocking. At least until you get to the 770 level of performance.

Am thinking of upgrading my cpu to an i7 3770k. What is the best motherboard to pair up with this cpu, keeping in mind that I want to overclock the cpu as high as possible.

Qvoth

Doesn't overclock? the 4670K seems a bit silly then. Drop down to the non-K model (4570) if he has no plans to overclock at all. Maybe even something like the 4440. The 100-200MHZ difference between the models really won't mean much outside of benchmark cases. Use the money you'll save to put the GPU one tier higher.

The motherboards also seem a bit much for it, although I couldn't tell you what to replace it with. Any brand loyalty at all or just whatever works?

well we play ffxiv
he also plays dota 2
that's about it

Jordan

Hey guys, got a bit of money left over from my Christmas haul...

What is the Astro A40 with Mixamp Pro like? I wanted to do an individual microphone and headphone but haven't really got a huge amount of knowledge on either. Any support would be fantastic!

kennah

Am thinking of upgrading my cpu to an i7 3770k. What is the best motherboard to pair up with this cpu, keeping in mind that I want to overclock the cpu as high as possible.
What do you currently have? And why the 3770k. Do you mean the 4770k? And why do you want to overclock 'as high as possible'? What are you doing with it?

kharma45

How dodgy is this? Is it a rip off somehow and should my friend avoid it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-FAS...t=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2ecbefc80c

I'm buying a PC through a friend which peaked another friends interest in gaming on a PC. He sent me this link asking if it was worth buying and if it was in anyway dodgy. Thoughts?

It's a load of shite.

so i just saw OP, seems like they were last updated September?
are those still relevant?

obviously i don't mean any disrespect, just an honest question

It still is. I don't expect it to be revised until the middle of January.

kharma45

So being the idiot that I am I searched through Steam to see if anything good was on sale for mac (and I filtered it through OS) but then the crashes start and hours later when I hit refresh I had no idea that the filter resetted and I bought Skyrim. Then it wouldn't work. Throughout the entire process I thought how great it would be to play skyrim and I see videos of it looking absolutely glorious and how I envy PC users.

Now I'm heavily thinking of cancelling my Valve Customer Support ticket, keeping the game and building a gaming PC because it just looks too damn good.

I mostly want to design this for my room as a console. It's only purpose will be to game and it will hook up to the tv with a wireless controller at play (is PS4 fully compatible with games or should I stick to the tried and true 360 controller?).

I intend to buy 1 or 2 (depending on price) parts per pay day (I get payed every Friday). I want fantastic graphics and something that can last for a year + playing games on high settings.

Budget: What I'm hoping for through good deals and cutting corners is somewhere along the $500 range.

Main Use: Strictly gaming with even some dolphin (smash bros.) and PCSX2 emulation thrown in the mix.

For Drives I want the smallest SSD possible just for the OS (windows and steam OS when that gets big in the future) so that my PC can boot up fast. I'll stick to a 1tb hdd for gaming for now.

When will you build?: No deadline, depending on price it may take longer. I can wait for deals and such (if you help me where to look!)

Will you be overclocking?: *flails arms in the air* I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS.

Any extra questions?: Since this is going to be a console will there be a way to set it so that I immediately start in Steam Big Picture? I won't connect this thing to a mouse+keyboard so I'm not sure how that will work.

EDIT: What tools will I need to actually build a PC? Screwdrivers, glue, etc. etc. Do I just throw everything in the box, wrap the box with duct tape, do a prayer and push the power button?

For a long time I was thinking of waiting on a steam machine but I keep hearing that I can get a much better deal and more power out of a rig I built myself rather than a stock machine.

I'm completely inept when it comes to PC's so I'm going to assume from my knowledge that the 2 most important things are CPU's (which you don't upgrade often) and GPU's (which you upgrade often).

By often I mean in order to keep up with the brisk pace of gaming. I don't really want to upgrade often and want something that can last me a year+ (2 would be great) playing most games on high settings with HD texture packs. 60 fps is obviously a must.

I was scared of the price but the way I see it, I'm going to blow $400 on a PS4 then an extra $60 on a controller and god knows how much else on each and every single game (even if based PS+ is amazing). I'd rather take all that upfront money and just survive on steam sales until I can start buying new games again.

Also any good deals on Windows 8? Like the idiot that I am I never took advantage as a student to get a free license code and the OS seems to be one of the more expensive parts of a PC.

Games I'm interested (by developer):
Bethesda
Ubisoft
Squeenix
Platinum (here's hoping rising is the first in many, many delicious games)
Souls series
Bungie
Valve
some capcom
maybe EA

I'm going to start looking at stock pcs and study up on CPU types and stuff to see what is needed and what is not.

Now if Capcom could just announce a straight port of Dragons Dogma on the PC I will throw my PS3 out the window and start making this shit today. The only game that I feel really needs a PC port.

Since emulation is very important unquestionably we're going to be looking at a Haswell build, and you'll want an overclockable CPU to get as many extra frames as possible as it's a very CPU dependent operation. The 4670K will be your best option.

Auto starting Big Picture mode isn't straightfoward yet http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bigpicture/discussions/1/882960163766651704/

For the best deals on Windows 8 look here http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap or beg a student for one. Through Reddit for example you're talking $25 for an 8.1 code from this guy http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswa...dows_81_pro_3264_bit_keys_w_paypal_145_sales/

PC wise for $500 you'll be looking at this, and this is sans GPU

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Adorama)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($32.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $524.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-26 10:54 EST-0500)

If you live near a Microcenter you can save big on CPU/mobo. You're talking another... $160 ideally for your GPU (this ASUS 660 for example) and to OC the CPU $25 or so on a cooler. It'll be the guts of $700 all in for the hardware to get a properly good PC.

kharma45

Fuck I forgot about the SFF bit. Would bump it up another $30 to go for the bare minimum

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z87I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($35.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($32.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $551.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-26 11:24 EST-0500)

Lkr

i don't know what is going on. i installed my ssd and windows 8.1 yesterday. whenever i shut down, windows shuts down but there is still a fan spinning and my computer is still on. i never had this issue before. is there a fix?

What do you currently have? And why the 3770k. Do you mean the 4770k? And why do you want to overclock 'as high as possible'? What are you doing with it?

I currently have an i7 975e but am unable to overclock it without it crashing. I want a 3770k because I've read from various messageboards, sites, etc. that that's still the better processor because Haswell just isn't all that great because of the heat output and other reasons. I want to overclock because I want the highest frame rates possible in all my games, and I have two gtx 680's, so want to make sure the cpu isn't the bottleneck in my setup.

kharma45

I currently have an i7 975e but am unable to overclock it without it crashing. I want a 3770k because I've read from various messageboards, sites, etc. that that's still the better processor because Haswell just isn't all that great. I want to overclock because I want the highest frame rates possible in all my games, and I have two gtx 680's, so want to make sure the cpu isn't the bottleneck in my setup.

The 4770K is the better CPU.

It doesn't overclock as high as Ivy Bridge but the IPC improvements negates the clock advantage Ivy would hold over it. 4820K is also an option too on Ivy Bridge-E but I'd probably just stick to Haswell.

kris.

Banned
okay so i bought a cheap-ass DVD drive for like $15 from microcenter this morning along with my CPU. built the computer. holy shit. it ran. i am a god. freaking out, especially after last time i tried where the mobo decided to fry itself on first start-up and smoke everywhere. anyways. put w7 install dvd into drive, runs fine, installs, everything's all good. put network adaptor dvd into drive to install drivers and connect to sweet, sweet internet and drive begins to make loud, scary noises and tiny bits of smoke come out of it. so i turn off the computer, let it set for a minute, turn it back on, drivers install fine. 5 minutes later, begin to smell burning things, suspect dvd drive, touch it, it's basically on fire. take it out (don't really need it at this point i guess) and everything's fine.

what'd i do wrong, PCGaf?

BDP

Neo Member
I've got an HTPC I'm looking to upgrade into a better gaming rig. It's currently rocking an i5 2500k and already has 8gigs of RAM. I literally just need to drop in a GPU and bigger PSU.

Any suggestions on a card that will run 1080p at high/ultra settings with a frame rate at or above 60? I was thinking an R9 270x but I'm unsure it will do well with frame rates on some games.

kharma45

I've got an HTPC I'm looking to upgrade into a better gaming rig. It's currently rocking an i5 2500k and already has 8gigs of RAM. I literally just need to drop in a GPU and bigger PSU.

Any suggestions on a card that will run 1080p at high/ultra settings with a frame rate at or above 60? I was thinking an R9 270x but I'm unsure it will do well with frame rates on some games.

Depends on what you want to spend. I wouldn't recommend a 270X though, the 270 does the same job for less.

BDP

Neo Member
Yep that's it. For $300 I'd probably grab a GTX 760. 280X can come within budget when it's in stock and the prices are being messed about with by miners, but $250 would get you a great GTX 760.

Thanks! My local micro center has an open box 770 for $329. Any reason to break budget for a 770 say over the 760?

kharma45

Thanks! My local micro center has an open box 770 for $329. Any reason to break budget for a 770 say over the 760?

You can get a 770 for slightly less at $310 after rebate from Newegg plus free games which the Newegg one might not offer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Both are good cards, both are good for 1080p gaming. This is no help :p

It depends on what the rest of your machine is like. If you've no SSD I'd say get the 760 + SSD over a 770.

BDP

Neo Member
You have to ask yourself if 10-15% faster is worth $80 more.

Good point. IMO…No.

You can get a 770 for slightly less at $310 after rebate from Newegg plus free games which the Newegg one might not offer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Both are good cards, both are good for 1080p gaming. This is no help :p

It depends on what the rest of your machine is like. If you've no SSD I'd say get the 760 + SSD over a 770.

I don't have a SSD so that makes sense. Any suggestion on what model 760? While it will double duty as an HTPC and I realize these cards will make noise. I'd like to keep it to a minimum.

kennah

Good point. IMO…No.

I don't have a SSD so that makes sense. Any suggestion on what model 760? While it will double duty as an HTPC and I realize these cards will make noise. I'd like to keep it to a minimum.

Anything with multi fans should be wry quiet. But the 670/760 series isn't bad. I have a reference 670 (760 with an older sticker) and it is very quiet

kharma45

Quietest 760 is the MSI TF4 http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MSI-760TFC&c=CJ

Hawk is the second quietest but is faster and slightly cheaper after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Techpowerup has done extensive testing on many varieties of the GTX 760. Here are their results:

MSI Twinfrozr- idle 25 dba, load 27 dba
MSI Hawk - Idle 26 dba, load 30 dba
Asus DirectCU II- idle 25 dba, load 33 dba
EVGA 760 SC w/ ACX- idle 26 dba, load 38 dba
Gigabyte Windforce- idle 27 dba, load 34 dba

So one of the MSIs would be best.

BDP

Neo Member
Anything with multi fans should be wry quiet. But the 670/760 series isn't bad. I have a reference 670 (760 with an older sticker) and it is very quiet

Quietest 760 is the MSI TF4 http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MSI-760TFC&c=CJ

Hawk is the second quietest but is faster and slightly cheaper after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Techpowerup has done extensive testing on many varieties of the GTX 760. Here are their results:

Thanks both of you for your input. I'll be picking one up tonight.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

The Twinfrozr IV on the 760 is about as quiet as it's possible for a modern graphics card to be without going fanless, it really is a marvelous cooler/card combo if noise is a concern.

Mine has unfortunately just died and I'm getting a full refund for it after RMA'ing it (No power at all, no BIOS boot screen / display), but I'll happily replace it with the MSI HAWK model.

zainetor

Banned
asus gtx 770 or r9 280x? they are priced the same.
I would like to go with nvidia this time, but a 2 gigabyte card doesnt seem a good choice right now, imho.

any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom