• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuri Mekuru Hibi

7tc861k.png

The Sword of Damocles.

That's way less disgusting than the other one that was around a couple of threads ago.

Yu Yu Hakusho 20-33

I am strangely not liking it...

Just keep reading, it doesn't really pick up until around chapter 45ish IIRC
whenever Hiei and Kurama are introduced and eventually team up with Yusuke

wonzo

Banned
The ending is really good - best Furuya work next to Music of Marie.
The only over thing I've read of his Lychee Light Club (which is sitting on my shelf right now. lol) but I'm definitely gonna hunt down the rest of his stuff (starting with Short Cuts) after reading this.

Quasar

Hmm. Rosario + Vampire 2 ending in Feb. Dunno how I feel about this. The current 'will never fucking end' arc really hurt my interest in it, but I hoped after it finally finished it would get back on track and in a direction I liked.

I guess not.

Lain

So I've been reading Genkaku Picasso on and off for the past week and I don't think I'm emotionally prepared for the final stretch. ;_;

I thought someone of your refined tastes had already read such a masterpiece.
As Dresden said, the ending is really good. But yeah, you should prepare yourself emotionally.

LeleSocho

Banned
Just keep reading, it doesn't really pick up until around chapter 45ish IIRC
whenever Hiei and Kurama are introduced and eventually team up with Yusuke

I think that's exactly where i stopped tonight... oh well that means that tomorrow the read will be more enjoyable.

I think that's exactly where i stopped tonight... oh well that means that tomorrow the read will be more enjoyable.

The first 20ish chapters are basically weird comedy "derp I'm dead" and really don't serve any function in the scheme of things, it's why the anime basically cut all of them out. Next 10-15 is actual set up for how the series will actually work then it's pretty roller coaster from then out

So I've been reading Genkaku Picasso on and off for the past week and I don't think I'm emotionally prepared for the final stretch. ;_;

Never realized how nice the art looks for that.

All I remember was reading like the first few chapters when Shounen Jump had it in their magazine.

Kinda interested now~

LeleSocho

Banned
The first 20ish chapters are basically weird comedy "derp I'm dead" and really don't serve any function in the scheme of things, it's why the anime basically cut all of them out. Next 10-15 is actual set up for how the series will actually work then it's pretty roller coaster from then out

Yeah i have already surpassed the comedy part and you know what? it actually felt like Reborn but obviously in a smaller scale, i think at first Togashi actually didn't wanted Yu Yu to be a battle shonen but an episodic comedy like the first 16-17 chapters and like Reborn the first ? volumes.
Still the battles as right now are kinda boring.

Yeah i have already surpassed the comedy part and you know what? it actually felt like Reborn but obviously in a smaller scale, i think at first Togashi actually didn't wanted Yu Yu to be a battle shonen but an episodic comedy like the first 16-17 chapters and like Reborn the first ? volumes.
Still the battles as right now are kinda boring.

I'll have to check out Reborn soon, gotta finish KNIM first along with those other manga I was reading this summer (JoJo, Shaman King, Rave Master, Yotsuba)

Finalow

Tobaku Haouden Zero part 2

Zero part 2 (Gyanki Hen) is really bland. You don't feel any kind of urgency (maybe some during the card game miniarc) and the strategies/riddles are pretty weak.
It's a pointless spinoff-like part, with no real character development to at least give some meaning to it.
Its serialization ended earlier this year, maybe we'll know something more about the third part in 2014.
well, it's true that there is less "urgency" like in the first part but strategies and riddles were ok. I think that the whole part of finding the old guy was way too long, and it got quite boring at some point.
the ending connects to part 1, so it's not a pointless spin-off part at all since it's pretty much guaranteed that you're going to see kijurou in the next part, and probably not just him.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
He he he got this for Christmas:

uHzijzP.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1421560747/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kinda weird how "pirated up" the VIZ translation is, so much scarpered and scallywag and generalized pirate lingo. Which I can appreciate I suppose, actually localizing the script a bit, vs a rote translation. Are they still doing that in the more modern chapters? Lotta darns and dangs, too, which I also suppose is more accurate given it's a shounen manga, vs the SHIT DAMN FUCK in your common scanlation.

Read up to the start of Arlong Park so far, good stuff. I like all the in-between chapter stuff, and having the SBS's in there. Can even deal with Zolo. I gotta say though, actually translating the sound effects kinda makes the whole thing a bit more juvenile. You miss out on a lot of those things when it's just kana. Which is probably the case with any manga, I suppose. But it's still fun, a bit more cartoony, which still suits the series.

Will probably pick up full arcs at a time in the future, though it'd be nice if VIZ did more box sets like this. They've got Romance Dawn in its own little mini-book in there, which is super nice. It'd be cool to get the v2 Romance Dawn in a Skypiea box or summin.

I'll have to check out Reborn soon, gotta finish KNIM first along with those other manga I was reading this summer (JoJo, Shaman King, Rave Master, Yotsuba)

Finally a suggestion that I can get behind. Reborn needs to be the first series you check out as its really the defining manga of Shonen Jump of the 2000's, in terms of clear and definitive plot direction, comedy, drama, and character design.

LeleSocho

Banned
Don't read Reborn... it's not worth the pain.
It's still enjoyable... if you pretend to have dropped it when it ended.
Finally a suggestion that I can get behind. Reborn needs to be the first series you check out as its really the defining manga of Shonen Jump of the 2000's, in terms of clear and definitive plot direction, comedy, drama, and character design.

welp beware of the DTL logic
Rak3he3.gif

wonzo

Banned
Zai x 10 10

Little did he know the shocking turn of events this single decision would trigger.

Black Bullet 12.5

Rather weird to have a manga chapter of an LN adaptation announcing the anime adaptation of the LN.

Big One

Banned
This isn't surprising in the slightest, and I got a lot of flack for suggesting Kishimoto was thinking up shit along the way rather than planning them out when I did my first read of the entirety of Naruto. IT's so plain and day and obvious this is the case with the massive amounts of story direction changes that soley exist just so Kishimoto doesn't have to make a consistent story and do whatever he wants.

Kubo is the same way too. Matter of fact I remember watching a rundown of his apartment on a Japanese TV show, and all he does to create Bleach is create "cool characters" aka focusing on how good a character looks on the page rather than focusing on other elements.

Sakurasaku Shoukougun 01-07

The story of the rekindling of two childhood friends who get together when one needs help in studying to get into the school where her crush is attending. All while the other is rediscovering his own feelings for her.

A pretty interesting series so far. The biggest thing I like about this is definitely the art. The full page scenes are just great to look at.

The relationship between the two main characters is pretty interesting and kinda cool to see where it'll go. The girl is definitely the more fun of the two, while the guy is usually a stick in the mud tsundere. Where this romance will go is keeping me going with this nice series.

Manazashi no Hayagane 4 & 5 (Together)

Two teacher friends at the same cram school who start to get closer together after one falls ill. The sick friend in need theme was here and led to a decent scene ruined by our typical phone call at the wrong opportunity, but it was different from the rest in that a stalker was involved in the subplot that worked well in bringing everyone together and confessions. Solid closing to this manga

World Embryo 86

Kinda hyped that we are reaching the endgame for this. Kinda silly I forgot there was a love interest for the main character.

Usotsuki Wakusei 10

zzzzzz, new character appears and he's evil to the point of being boring

scy

Sakurasaku Shoukougun 01-07

The story of the rekindling of two childhood friends who get together when one needs help in studying to get into the school where her crush is attending. All while the other is rediscovering his own feelings for her.

A pretty interesting series so far. The biggest thing I like about this is definitely the art. The full page scenes are just great to look at.

The relationship between the two main characters is pretty interesting and kinda cool to see where it'll go. The girl is definitely the more fun of the two, while the guy is usually a stick in the mud tsundere. Where this romance will go is keeping me going with this nice series.

Huh. I totally thought this was a finished series after 4 chapters and it had ended tragically for him. Guess I was wrong!

...hooray!

Huh. I totally thought this was a finished series after 4 chapters and it had ended tragically for him. Guess I was wrong!

...hooray!

At the rate he's moving on the relationship levels and the rate other male characters are better, it'll probably end tragically for him!

Zai x 10 10

The ultimate way of dining and dashing.

Amano's deaigns are unrivaled. She was born to draw with color and in elDLIVE it really shows. Im really digging it. Its a damn shame we only got a dozen or so volumes in yhe US of Reborn. A microcosm of the manga market here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom