• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahou Tsukai no Yome 01

I like it. It feels good, I rather like the girl and the relationship they are setting up with her and bonehead. Even that ending of the chapter was amusing enough.

Sousei no Onmyouji 2

Good character design with the bed hair and such at the start leading to an excellent and rather fantastic fight scene. This is as good as Seraph of the End at the start too. These exorcist manga are all really good now even. Could do with out the 14 year old marriage and child plot...
Jump SQ has the exorcism manga genre on lock down.

Nuigurumi Kurasshu 01

a0duaxu.jpg

Stuffed toy otaku gets more than what he bargains for when a naked man claiming to be a stuffed toy starts living in his room.

Nothing super interesting happens yet. The premise is definitely what the hell, though depends on where this story goes forward from the premise itself.

Haikyuu 1-5
Fairly interesting. I'm not really a sports guy but this one has kept my attention. The characters while not particularly likeable are interesting.

upandaway

Iinazuke Kyoutei 8-11

Taking a generic hentai story and breaking it down to a science. They're still lightweight about it, but if I didn't know any better I would fully expect them to start mindgaming each other with psychological traps, full on Death Note or something. Actually I think I finally managed to describe Prison School without even talking about it (and they're not similar in the slightest, what am I even doing).

Hoshin Engi Vol.11

fkoTqTjl.jpg

Gotta enjoy our run through mid boss central. Even better when the series even comments on having everyone else fight their battle to get stronger. Next volume has Taikobo finally showing what's he made of which has me hyped up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When did Dakku turn into DTL I missed this plot twist.

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun 65

I can't even keep up with the different plot points anymore between this and Index since it feels like everything is converging even though it probably isn't and I'm just not used to seeing Railgun and her gang of girls doing something in both series.

Okay guys. Need help. What would you recommend for someone's beginner manga? No horror.

Thanks for suggestions.

Slice of life:
Yotsuba
Swagmoto (real name: Sakamoto desu ga)
Fantasy:
Ran and the Gray World
Romantic Comedy:
Ouran Host Club
Adventure
Full Metal Alchemist
Action
OnePunch Man (Murata version or One version)

If smut and fanservice are OK
Prison School
Shokugeki no Soma
Dragons Rioting

wonzo

Banned
Himouto! Umaru-chan 36

moe levels 2high4me

it still hurts bro :(

I have it on my "to read" list, but as many others, I don't want to start any more open series.
Just do it!

I had a feeling you'd like Hentai Kamen, wonzo. In fact, I think quite a few of you will enjoy it. I'm not saying it's fantastic, but it is pretty amusing. It just seems to align with what many of you find funny. I really think many of you will enjoy it far more than I do, and I do enjoy it.
Yeah, I flicked through a few more chapters and it's just straight up dumb fun aka the best kind of fun!

upandaway

Adventure of Sinbad

Aww, it's just a retelling of the one-shot (so far), and it's taking forever at that. I expected it to carry on from that point or something. Oh well.

Hey guys.

The website me and my friends have started up is looking to feature some manga content to the site.

One of my ideas is to give oneshots some exposure, as I find they can offer more flexible material (crazier) than serialised stuff.

So I would like to ask if anyone has any recommendations for recent oneshots that they enjoyed or are just simply good.

Thanks in advance!

Akito

Hey guys.

The website me and my friends have started up is looking to feature some manga content to the site.

One of my ideas is to give oneshots some exposure, as I find they can offer more flexible material (crazier) than serialised stuff.

So I would like to ask if anyone has any recommendations for recent oneshots that they enjoyed or are just simply good.

Thanks in advance!
Just to be clear, when you say oneshots, do you mean stories which are one chapter or one volume long?

I mean in this sense, so I suppose chapter.

In the Japanese manga industry, the same concept is expressed by the term yomikiri (読み切り?), which implies that the comic is presented in its entirety without any continuation. One-shot manga tells its entire story in 15-60 pages, usually written for contests, and sometimes later developed into a full-length manga series (much like a television pilot).

Koe no Katachi was one that I found earlier last year that I really enjoyed for example.

EDIT: Seems that got serialised, awesome!

upandaway

Adventure of Sinbad (caught up)

It's kinda plain and cliche but I like it. Not much else to say. Hoping for some quality dungeons because I'm definitely not expecting them in the main manga, haha.

Magical Marine Pixel Maritan. Maritan Focus Drills. 01-08

Moe personification of the United States Army teach us foul English that'll make a sailor blush.

I need to say no more.

Akito

I mean in this sense, so I suppose chapter.

Koe no Katachi was one that I found earlier last year that I really enjoyed for example.

EDIT: Seems that got serialised, awesome!
Well then
The one by Taiyou Matsumoto? I was thinking more about stories which are only one chapter long.

Did some digging:

The Family Zoo [Chikazawa Chuya & Enomoto Shunji]: it's fucked up beyond belief, no seriously.
Halcyon Lunch [Hiroaki Samura]: kinda similar to Arakawa under the Bridge but the humor is a little more morbid.
Beta!! [Naoki Urasawa]: amusingly self-aware.
Challenging The Manga Dojos [Nico Nicolson]: RL story of a manga author visiting Kentaro Miura. Sadly only the first part was translated.
Akazukin to Yasashii Ookami [Palmeros]: great re-imagination of Little Red Riding Hood.
My Mysterious Girlfriend X [Riichi Ueshiba]: The oneshot was great with very imaginative art, the series not so much.
Spoiler Wars [Roku Tachibana]: the title says it all.
Pom the Panda [Saeki Junichi]: very touching story.
Mud [Tomoko Yamashita]: very twisted but also heartwarming love story.
Loop [Yasuhiro Kano]: Kanos best work, I wished he would do a seinen story someday.
Koe no Katachi [Yoshitoki Ooima]: This goes without saying.
Dangan Tenshi Fan Club [Yuusuke Murata]: well it's Murata and ONE.

Oh yeah, I love countless ones by Junji Ito and Shintaro Kago but listing them all would take hours.
I guess most of them are not exactly recent but yeah.

Hey guys.

Thanks in advance!

Koganeiro is probably the best one shot I've read last year.

For Those of Us Who Don't Believe in God by Hiroki Endo (All-Rounder Meguru) is probably my favorite of all time though.

Zodiac Boys
A nice collection of extremely short one shots centered around male personifications of the zodias. Second story is the best simply for the two and them trying to take advantage of the time together, Dragon is insanely hot. The last story is second favorite, loved the "Dragon" and then the whole premise behind the card.

wonzo

Banned
Gunka no Balzer 11-15

The relentless march of technology and the glimpses of Helmut struggling to overcome a male dominated society are what keep me reading this really engrossing series, though it's always ultimately Balzer being a complete badass that steals the show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom