• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Our Japan Times, they are late

Also, I just read some of the top of this page, and I've definitely seen pictures in a history textbook of women whose feet were broken and forced to wear heels all the time so that their bones would reform to the shape of high-heel shoes. It is messed up.

Jiggy

Come to think of it, the super-early discussions about the madness of Japan Time were probably the best aspect of those first 10,000 posts. I guess we'll have to get someone to read through that early part as well. >_>

Edit:
Danthrax said:
Also, I just read some of the top of this page, and I've definitely seen pictures in a history textbook of women whose feet were broken and forced to wear heels all the time so that their bones would reform to the shape of high-heel shoes. It is messed up.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Chinese footbinding? Which is even freakier, incidentally. D:

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Firestorm said:
Need update soon. Must take a shit.

Go now so we'll get the update.

Danthrax said:

Oh, why did you have to bring that topic up again? >_<

Iam Canadian

ShockingAlberto was right.

Post #986:
ShockingAlberto said:
I think, by the time Smash Bros. launches, this will be the most tightly-knit thread on GAF. :p

Jiggy37 said:
Maybe the update will happen just to prevent further discussion in that territory.

Maybe Sakurai will update to tell us that he's updated Zelda's model to have high heels. :D

Jiggy

Late update can only mean Ness. Yes, even though we've already had Ness, he's going to get an update again. He will!

Iam Canadian said:
Maybe Sakurai will update to tell us that he's updated Zelda's model to have high heels.
Well, see, that would just mean I have one less character to play and one more character to hate. :(

dude said:
I could probably do it, only next week though...
Okay, let me know at that time if it would work for you. :D

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jiggy37 said:
Edit:
Are you sure you're not thinking of Chinese footbinding? Which is even freakier, incidentally. D:

Yes, that's it, you reminded me of it. Unfortunately :lol

Iam Canadian said:
Maybe Sakurai will update to tell us that he's updated Zelda's model to have high heels. :D

:lol Oh that's just mean to even suggest

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
That's exactly what I was thinking when he said that. That was definitely a freaky thing to learn about. Ugh.

Jiggy! Maybe the lateness updates are palindromic. Last month of updates... a bunch of the late updates happened in the first month right? What're the stats!
Kidding. Seriously. Please don't give me an answer... haha

Iam Canadian

It's sad that we don't crash GAF at midnight anymore. :(

Wait, a normal sad face won't do it.

sadelectrode.png

That's better.

LinkAMN said:
Maybe Sakurai will update to tell us that he's updated Captain Falcon's model to have high heels.

OH GOD THE MENTAL IMAGES WHY

That must be my karmic backlash for teasing Jiggy about his heels thing. >_>

hidden02.jpg

Marth’s a royal prince from the Fire Emblem series who also is featured in the opening cinematic for the game.

He attacks with flowing blade work and special moves that enhance his offensive and defensive capabilities. You’ll want to play with Marth in a manner that befits his graceful style.

hidden02_080207a-l.jpg
hidden02_080207b-l.jpg
hidden02_080207c-l.jpg
hidden02_080207d-l.jpg

Marth's Special Moves
Standard Special Move Shield Breaker
Side Special Move Dancing Blade
Up Special Move Dolphin Slash
Down Special Move Counter
Final Smash Critical Hit

• Play 10 brawls
• Finish Classic mode on any difficulty level
• Get Marth to join your party in The Subspace Emissary

Tips

If there’s one tip I want to make sure you remember when playing Marth, it’s that the tip of Marth’s sword produces stronger attacks. Attack like you want to just nick the bridge of the opponent’s nose.

hidden02_080207e-l.jpg

Hit the opponent with a strong side attack from up close and you’ll do 8% damage.

hidden02_080207f-l.jpg

Hit him with the tip of your sword and you’ll do 12%.

Marth’s side special, the Dancing Blade, offers nine separate attacks, which is the most of any special move in the game.

Time the button presses for this attack while moving the Control Stick into the up, down, or neutral positions to perform different offensive moves.

hidden02_080207g-l.jpg

Start things off by pressing sideways + the special-move button.

hidden02_080207h-l.jpg
hidden02_080207i-l.jpg

On attack number two, you can choose between two attacks. Hold up on the Control Stick or let it rest in the neutral position. (For this attack, you can also produce the same attack as neutral by tilting down on the Control Stick.)

hidden02_080207j-l.jpg
hidden02_080207k-l.jpg
hidden02_080207l-l.jpg

Attack number three let’s you chose between three attacks. Up, neutral, and down.

hidden02_080207m-l.jpg
hidden02_080207n-l.jpg
hidden02_080207o-l.jpg

And now for the finale. Choose between up, down, or neutral.

Next there’s Marth’s counter, a move that can clinch the match for players who have mastered it. Ike has this move as well.

If an opponent lands an attack on you while Marth is in his counter stance, he’ll deflect the blow and strike back with a quick counterattack.

hidden02_080207p-l.jpg

Ike delivers a ferocious blow!

hidden02_080207q-l.jpg

Marth counters in a flash!

When you land a counter like this, let me tell you, it feels sooooo good!

Let’s continue. Marth’s counterattack delivers damage at 1.1 times the power of the attack he was hit with and will always do a minimum of 8% damage.

Ike’s counter doesn’t go up as quick, but does 1.2 times the damage with a minimum attack power of 10%.

Regardless of the damage dealt, counters will not knock back opponents any further than the attack deflected.

Now, on to Marth’s Final Smash...

hidden02_080207r-l.jpg

A single critical hit!

hidden02_080207s-l.jpg

Bleepbleepbleepbleep!

Huh? What the--?! Is that a life gauge I see?!

...Must have just been my imagination!

scottnak

Damn. All this technical info for these attacks are friggin awesome.
For those who have bathed in spoilers/owners of the game of the forever, were these kinds of attributes apparent from all the videos/playing ?

Jiggy

grandjedi6 did pretty amazingly for someone who hadn't read the spoilers to know the order that characters were unlocked in (going by number of multiplayer brawls, i.e. Ness = 5, Marth = 10). Seriously. I've been thinking this since he predicted Marth yesterday.

I had a feeling it might be Marth, considering he was is the opening. Now everyone else is fair game.

Also, Marth's FS is awesome. It's simplicity tied in with the nostalgia make it great.

Firestorm

Ok so:
- Marth is still broken
- Marth still has the tip
- Marth is still broken
- Marth's counter works like Roy's used to in that it does a multiplication of damage, but it's 1.1 instead of Roy's 1.5
- Marth. still. broken.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
Every time I think I can listen to the main theme without hearing those lyrics in my head, you people go and remind me of them.
I've been hearing the opening of the song as "Mario Brawl" since E3 2006. I already doomed Akai to hear it the same, even. :D

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
His Side+B sounds really cool and it's an interesting change for him. At least I think it's a change, right? (I didn't play with Marth much in Melee.)

scottnak

Firestorm said:
Ok so:
- Marth is still broken
- Marth is still broken
- Marth's counter works like Roy's used to in that it does a multiplication of damage, but it's 1.1 instead of Roy's 1.5
- Marth. still. broken.
Oh. So it's pretty much similar traits from Melee. Should've thought of that (Never really played him...)
Grazi.

Scribble

Iam Canadian said:
Every time I think I can listen to the main theme without hearing those lyrics in my head, you people go and remind me of them.

I love the main theme, but that parody has always stayed with me. EVERY time I hear the song, I sing those lyrics, even if I don't find the parody that funny any more. I want it thrown on veeee-heeeee-nuuuuus.

And with the FE theme, all I hear is ha ha ha ha, hee hee hee hee!

Firestorm

Danthrax said:
His Side+B sounds really cool and it's an interesting change for him. At least I think it's a change, right? (I didn't play with Marth much in Melee.)

I believe in Melee that the only combo that was different was the final hit. You either did a strong strike or a multi-hit combo. The combo in Brawl is a lot faster and cooler looking.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Firestorm said:
Ok so:
- Marth is still broken
- Marth is still broken
- Marth. still. broken.

Not really, he's a lot weaker and has lower priority on most moves. Plus there are just a lot more characters with good ranged solutions.

Jiggy

Danthrax said:
It worked that way before, but it sucked last time around. It probably won't in Brawl since all videos seen so far (including the non-spoiler ones) have shown pretty decisively that the Smash team was concentrating on making sure that attacks that are meant to combo will actually combo in this game instead of knocking the opponent out of range... I'm guessing Marth will have a much easier time connecting with his four attacks.

Edit: For the record, I've only watched one multiplayer video with Marth and the player didn't use that attack, so I don't know for sure. >_>

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Firestorm said:
I believe in Melee that the only combo that was different was the final hit. You either did a strong strike or a multi-hit combo. The combo in Brawl is a lot faster and cooler looking.

Oh okay. Well at least it got better.

Scribble

Man God said:
Not really, he's a lot weaker and has lower priority on most moves. Plus there are just a lot more characters with good ranged solutions.

I don't have any kind of attachment to any FE character (Except maybe Soren, because he was such a neat character), but your avatar makes me think how fun an axe-user would have been in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom