• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

HARUHI MUST SAVE

I like how it's stored on PataHikari's account, though. Is that cool? >_> I mean, just wondering.

Firestorm said:
d-throw, f-smash?
or was it f-throw, f-smash?
I know it ended in an f-smash.
Marth didn't need a combo. Everything he did was a counter to Jigglypuff due to that disjointed hitbox. Not that Jigglypuff didn't counter some characters for herself in Melee, like Ganondorf and--well, Ganondorf. Though I guess one could make the case for Bowser and Donkey Kong due to their bulk making them easy Rest targets.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
If it wasn't for the fact that I don't think I've ever seen you use a curse word on GAF, Jigs, I'd expect you to start going around posting that Haruhi picture in every relevant thread. >_>

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
HARUHI MUST SAVE

I like how it's stored on PataHikari's account, though. Is that cool? >_> I mean, just wondering.

Here I was about to post that this Haruhi awesomeness is posted and Jiggy wont see it cause he's busy crunchin' numbers. Jiggy's Haruhi sense a tingling!!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Someone needs to post the "over 9000" picture with Fox, Diddy, and Rayquaza so we can see if we can make Crushed turn into the Hulk or something.

Jiggy

-Marth, the number one contender--even ahead of Pokemon Trainer--for character who should most have a girl alternate costume, enters as the 27th character update!

-Fire Emblem becomes a part of the Elite 7 with Metroid, Mother, and Metal Gear. They're named the Elite 7 because they each have 7 updates, not that there's 7 of them, because there aren't.

-Marth joins Zero Suit Samus and Ness as a character without a dedicated final smash update. As for no dedicated special moves update, well, that section now includes him along with Pikachu, Samus, Zelda, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Peach, Ice Climbers, Sheik, and Ness.

-Thursday and Friday have now each had 6 character updates.

-Marth gets 19 screenshots and leaps past Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Ness. Ike hits 60 and passes up Donkey Kong and the full Pokemon Trainer combo.

RagnarokX

Iam Canadian said:
Someone needs to post the "over 9000" picture with Fox, Diddy, and Rayquaza so we can see if we can make Crushed turn into the Hulk or something.
Here, I uploaded the video version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRvoBD9241M

and the original...
poke9000.gif

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
VeritasVierge said:
Yay for the character reveal but yet still no Luigi? Where's my Luigi?

15 Brawls? =P (it's a guess, I haven't been in the spoiler thread much)

grandjedi6 said:

Remember, effeminate Japanese swordsman and all. Or maybe a lingering desire for Lyn to be playable.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
If it wasn't for the fact that I don't think I've ever seen you use a curse word on GAF, Jigs, I'd expect you to start going around posting that Haruhi picture in every relevant thread. >_>
Oh, I'll edit it and then do so!
But what truly amazes me is that I have 832 pictures related to the series stored on my computer (not counting the avatars I made out of some of them) and hadn't seen this one before. :eek:

Danthrax said:
Hey hold on, isn't this the same girl we were talking about last night, who Jiggy said is the cutest character IHO?:
And even putting aside the cute factor, my favorite character anywhere ever. :D

grandjedi6 said:
Because he's so effeminate-looking. :lol
Well, actually I guess it doesn't really show in these shots. But oh man, in one of those leaked videos...

Jiggy

LinkAMN said:
So Sakurai can put him in high heels, of course.
Well, at least it wouldn't be too much of a loss since I already hate him.

Edit: Seriously, when I first saw shots of Marth in Melee with his capris, I legitimately thought he was a girl.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
You know, this picture reminds me of a Poké Ball.

hidden02_080207g-l.jpg

grandjedi6 said:
You're all banned from the new Fire Emblem game

Too late, I already bought it. Unless you mean the DS one, in which case, =(

Crocodile

Marth looks pretty much as badass as he was in the last game. Interesting to see that the Dancing Blade combo has been expanded though I could never get it to work right in Melee. I have little hope of doing it consistently in Brawl. Also, although it was pretty evident from how we knew Ike played and info from the Spoiler thread, it's just interesting to see how vastly different Ike and Marth are. I remember people thinking they would look too much a like with all the blue and jazz. They really don't.

On a side note Haruhi is the most overrated and worst character in the most overrated anime I've seen in the last like five years. Less Haruhi, more Smash PLZ KTHX.

Jiggy

grandjedi6 said:
You're all banned from the new Fire Emblem game
But it's a remake, not a new game. >_>

Actually, though, yeah, I won't hate Marth in his own game. Just in Melee and (probably) Brawl! :D Much like I don't care for Jigglypuff in Pokemon RPGs but in SSB64 and Melee she's awesome.

Jiggy37 said:

Actually, though, yeah, I won't hate Marth in his own game. Just in Melee and (probably) Brawl! :D Much like I don't care for Jigglypuff in Pokemon RPGs but in SSB64 and Melee she's awesome.
Then you won't mind while I hate Collete in everything she's in or not even in.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Danthrax said:
Too late, I already bought it. Unless you mean the DS one, in which case, =(
You can repent by buying 10 copies of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

Jiggy37 said:

Marth > Jigglypuff + Colette + Haruhi

Jiggy

Crocodile said:
although it was pretty evident from how we knew Ike played and info from the Spoiler thread, it's just interesting to see how vastly different Ike and Marth are. I remember people thinking they would look too much a like
Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot the real reason I wanted this update: so we could go back and look at who got owned! :D Or at least everyone since I last updated this post on October 26th.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8270035&postcount=32129
Jiggy37 said:
People who don't believe Marth will be in Brawl:

Pellham says he's out
Enduin wouldn't be surprised, but eh, that doesn't count really (retracted!)
jj984jj said there was a fair chance he'd be out for Ike; not sure if that counts either (retracted later!)
Somnid goes for the gusto and says Ike is in and Marth is out, but in fairness he later says he'll stay if the characters are different enough
MrCheez says Marth's probably gone (retracted later!)
papercut (who? :p) is sure Marth's out

Will edit in more as I find them.

Edit 1:

VegaShinra calls it safe to assume Ike's in and Marth's not

---FROM THIS POINT ON WE KNEW ABOUT IKE---

Proven thinks Marth's likely out
Dark Ninja seems to fear Marth's gone, though that might be sarcasm... in any case, he later decides that Marth is in due to the Falchion icon (retracted later!)
AMUSIX says Ike "might" be replacing Marth and Roy; not sure if that counts
Kevtones hopes Ike is proof that Marth is gone
PkunkFury can't see Ike and Marth being together since they look too similar
Android18a would be amazed if both Ike/Marth were in
EktorPR highly doubts Marth

Again, more coming later.

Edit 2:

Raging Spaniard shares the opinion of PkunkFury on similar looks
EricDiesel is 99% sure Marth's out
Shig figures that Marth (/Roy) was only in because there were no international FEs yet and now he's probably gone
CrushDance, I think, is kind of worried about Marth
playstencil thinks Ike is replacing Roy/Marth (at least that's how I read the post)
LegendofJoe is "fairly certain" Ike is an "updated Marth skin"

---AFTER THIS POINT WE'D SEEN SOME OF IKE'S MOVES---

Cosmonaut X says Marth is likely gone
Leondexter boldly says "It's obvious" Marth is gone
Haunted One is willing to bet on Marth being out (retracted later!)

Edit 3:

MrCheez goes back on earlier and says he thinks Marth will remain!
MasterMFauli thinks Marth is gone and ban bets with Zeed about it
perfectchaos007 calls Ike a Marth replacement, though I'm not sure if he really means that or is just commenting on other lines of reasoning

---FROM HERE ON WE KNEW OF FIRE EMBLEM DS---

Dr. Hadji says Marth's out unless he's an alternate costume, and later ban bets with Zeed about it
Dark Ninja has no fear anymore and calls Marth pretty much confirmed!
Haunted One retracts his opinion and says Marth is in!
Danthrax subscribes to the PkunkFury and Raging Spaniard school of thought
jj984jj considers the DS remake and now believes Marth is in!
lsslave is losing hope :(

Edit 4:

Enduin is now almost sure Marth will be back!

VeritasVierge said:
Then you won't mind while I hate Collete in everything she's in or not even in.
I'm trying to find the "if" that spawned the "then," so to speak, but I don't see it. I was talking about my opinions about games and you're using that to draw an inference about my opinions of others' opinions about characters.

Edit before preview: Oh, maybe people actually think I hate Marth as a character. I thought I was being clear from context that "I hate Marth" in the sense that I hate fighting him.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
grandjedi6 said:
You can repent by buying 10 copies of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

But I haven't even beaten my first copy yet =\

Jiggy said:
Dr. Hadji says Marth's out unless he's an alternate costume, and later ban bets with Zeed about it

Dr. Hadji better start packin' his bags...

Jiggy

Has to be because sp0rsk can't give them. >_> Speaking of mods...

Danthrax said:
Dr. Hadji better start packin' his bags...
I'm not sure sp0rsk will do anything about it since he eventually said he got annoyed by Zeed's frequent ban bets. :lol Can't encourage what's annoying?

Edit: You know, what gets me is that Dr. Hadji is probably the single most sensible pro-item poster this thread ever had at any time, yet somehow he managed to convince himself with such certainty that Ness and Marth wouldn't be back...

Edit 2: Something I forgot to mention when Ness got his update.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8457798&postcount=37296

Okay, Crushed. You hated Ice Climbers and Ness and they returned, and you hated Lucas and he's a newcomer. You're zero for three and you'll be zero for four as long as they do the right and only objectively intelligent thing bring back Jigglypuff. If that ends up being the case, it can only mean one thing: the thread needs to get you to hate no-shows like the Animal Crossing villager (note: it's in Iwata Asks, guys, not a spoiler >_>) and assist trophies like Lyn, Saki, and Little Mac so that they'll be playable in Super Smash Bros. 4. How can we accomplish this goal over the course of the next seven years?

Nintaiyo

Jiggy37 said:

Edit: Seriously, when I first saw shots of Marth in Melee with his capris, I legitimately thought he was a girl.

Yup same here. When Melee first came out, I had never played a Fire Emblem, and I thought he was a girl. I think it was the name that sealed it. I thought it was Marth as in "Martha".

justchris

Crocodile said:
Marth looks pretty much as badass as he was in the last game. Interesting to see that the Dancing Blade combo has been expanded though I could never get it to work right in Melee. I have little hope of doing it consistently in Brawl. Also, although it was pretty evident from how we knew Ike played and info from the Spoiler thread, it's just interesting to see how vastly different Ike and Marth are. I remember people thinking they would look too much a like with all the blue and jazz. They really don't.

Actually, that's a question I have. I hope his sword dance is easier to pull off in Brawl. The first two movements were easy, but the 3rd and 4th had the most janky timing, I could only pull them off 1 out of every 12 times or so.

Jiggy37 said:
I'm trying to find the "if" that spawned the "then," so to speak, but I don't see it. I was talking about my opinions about games and you're using that to draw an inference about my opinions of others' opinions about characters.

Edit before preview: Oh, maybe people actually think I hate Marth as a character. I thought I was being clear from context that "I hate Marth" in the sense that I hate fighting him.
LOL No, that was a response for the "probably" you had in parentheses. So if you you do end up hating Marth in Brawl then my hate for Collete will be the outcome. heh

Jiggy

Actually, this reminds me of a statistic I forgot to include. Before I put the Colette avatars in the rotation, I had spoken to exactly one person in the world who liked didn't hate Colette. Ever since then? Suddenly people flood me with PMs of joy and now between those PMs and people just asking about it in general threads, I've spoken to six people on GAF alone who don't hate actively like her. It's bloody amazing, I must say, how this works out. >_>

Edit: And it's especially odd because this doesn't work for any other character. I mean, I never got PMs about the Jigglypuff avatar, as much as I would have liked an opportunity to shill for the virtues of Smash Bros. Jigglypuff to anybody who asks. Maybe I should experiment and put up avatars of like thirty characters and see which ones draw the most attention, I don't know.

Jiggy37 said:
Actually, this reminds me of a statistic I forgot to include. Before I put the Colette avatars in the rotation, I had spoken to exactly one person in the world who liked didn't hate Colette. Ever since then? Suddenly people flood me with PMs of joy and now between those PMs and people just asking about it in general threads, I've spoken to six people on GAF alone who don't hate actively like her. It's bloody amazing, I must say, how this works out. >_>

Edit: And it's especially odd because this doesn't work for any other character. I mean, I never got PMs about the Jigglypuff avatar, as much as I would have liked an opportunity to shill for the virtues of Smash Bros. Jigglypuff to anybody who asks. Maybe I should experiment and put up avatars of like thirty characters and see which ones draw the most attention, I don't know.
I think it's because of how much you wanted her in Brawl. The problem with that is that she would bring Lloyd with her and who wants him around? I don't hate her nor like her really. While I feel Collete was a stereotyped blond airhead, she was endearing to me. If only for her low self esteem likening herself to a flat ironing board yet still trying to do her best to save the world.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Bloody hell, over 60,000 posts about just one game. Nice.

How were those memorable Dojo thread collections going? Are they all going to be collated into one big post by Jiggy? (as links at least; I don't think they should all be quoted in the same place)

...maybe even like that it'll be too big. :O

CassSept

Ive missed 60k :(
Oh well, too bad I guess.

Marth, hmm. I havent used him too much in melee, ive always preferred using Roy over him. Well, i still cant wait to checking him out in Brawl

webrunner

You guys wouldn't want Lyn to be playable. She'd only be able to attack a dozen times and then have to leave to buy a crappy replacement sword.

I never thought of Melee Marth as effeminate and I always wondered why people thought of him as such.

However, Brawl Marth certainly is though I'm not complaining. ;)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
To importers: I heard you have to be in Japan to play this game online. Is it the same for friend code matches? I intend to import the US copy but not if the online play is broken :-/

Crushed said:
NO IT DID NOT HAVE TO BE SAID, GODDAMN I WISH WE WERE STILL IN THE DAYS WHEN ANY FUCKING NUMBER COULD BE SPOKEN OF ON THE INTERNET WITHOUT PEOPLE MAKING THAT OVERUSED, MURDERED, ROTTED CORPSE OF A JOKE SERIOUSLY "HEY GUYS MY BIRTHDAY IS IN 5 DAYS" "5 DAYS!??! IT'S OVER NINE THOUUUUUUSAAAAAAND DAYS AWAY" "THANKS A LOT JACKASS, NOW MY BIRTHDAY IS CANCELED AND MY DOG IS DEAD"

FUCK

Crushed plays CVS 2 and uses K-Groove confirmed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Firestorm said:
I believe in Melee that the only combo that was different was the final hit. You either did a strong strike or a multi-hit combo. The combo in Brawl is a lot faster and cooler looking.

No

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Crushed said:
bu-bu-bu-but smashboards said that combos were impossible, game isn't competitive anymore

lulz

Werent they the ones that discovered the decreased knockback attribute in the game? Which makes it even more combo friendly?

lulz

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy37 said:

I forget what it called, but he actually is wearing a piece of his sisters clothing. She gets taken hostage, so he wears it to remind himself what he's fighting for.

:lol :lol :lol @ Crushed's Meltdown.

Glad to see Marth finally shown on the dojo. I really like that every hidden character shown tells you how to get them. That's really awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom