• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegetables are disgusting

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatzCU

Get a Nutribullet for $100 from Target. That thing has SIGNIFICANTLY stepped up my veggie game. OP, I'm like you in that I don't outright love the taste of a lot of veggies. However with a Nutribullet, you can drink a salad's worth of kale and a few servings of fruit in one go. It doesn't taste nearly as bad as you might think it does. I'm now consuming several servings of good veggies and fruits daily.

terrisus

Well, had some cooked carrots and pepper with dinner tonight, and they were good.
As I said though, I actually like carrots.

Some good suggestions in this thread though, will definitely give some of them a try.

le.phat

you're health is on the line dude. Maybe your wife should double down on the child treatment and beat some sense into you.

OP should just make kale shakes in the morning, get all the fiber and veg content out of the way. You had a stroke and i think it's the easiest way to get veggies in to your diet.

terrisus

Just wanted to give a little update to this that I've been doing much better with vegetables. So, I guess much of it was the fact that I just didn't like broccoli or potatoes. Since, I've been eating a whole bunch of different things, and, while I wouldn't say I "like" them, I've at least been tolerating them.

Beyond the carrots and corn that I was doing before - lettuce, cabbage, spinach, cucumbers, peppers, radishes, and probably some various other things. Tried a black olive as well, and didn't like that, but otherwise I've been doing pretty good, relatively speaking.

So, hey, 30 years late, but, it's something I guess.

Llyranor

You might want to consider vegetables from other regions as well.

Chinese 'broccoli', for example, is amazing (and doesn't taste like broccoli at all). Best vegetable!

UberTag

I love vegetables but I don't enjoy cooking for just myself. So I habitually get lazy and take shortcuts and throw something like this in the microwave.

192231_Large_1.jpeg

Delicious but I can't help but feel I could be doing better.

Beyond the carrots and corn that I was doing before - lettuce, cabbage, spinach, cucumbers, peppers, radishes, and probably some various other things. Tried a black olive as well, and didn't like that, but otherwise I've been doing pretty good, relatively speaking.
Give turnip and squash a try if you haven't already. Love both of 'em to bits.

catmincer

Just wanted to give a little update to this that I've been doing much better with vegetables. So, I guess much of it was the fact that I just didn't like broccoli or potatoes. Since, I've been eating a whole bunch of different things, and, while I wouldn't say I "like" them, I've at least been tolerating them.

Olives are gross and very much something you either love or hate. Don't feel bad about that!

You might want to consider vegetables from other regions as well.

Chinese 'broccoli', for example, is amazing (and doesn't taste like broccoli at all). Best vegetable!

Yes! Try Kailan, it's really good.

terrisus

It's been funny - a couple of weeks ago my wife and I went out to an Italian restaurant, and of course most everything comes with a side salad, and I'm so used to just getting a kind that she likes, and taking it home for later. But it was like, oh yeah, I'm actually going to eat it now.

And then the other week we had ordered Italian for delivery, and again the stuff came with a side salad... But they forgot to include my salad with the delivery. Ah well, at least I tried - and next time we order from there I can pretend to be upset I didn't get my salad, and get something out of it (although probably just more salad).

dbztrk

Vegetables are delicious. I love broccoli and spinach. Also, I've gotten into eggplant recently. Matter of fact, I had Eggplant Parmesan today and it was incredible.

terrisus

Vegetables are delicious. I love broccoli and spinach. Also, I've gotten into eggplant recently. Matter of fact, I had Eggplant Parmesan today and it was incredible.

Eggplant Parmesan confuses me. I mean, I love Chicken Parmesan, but mostly due to the chicken. Replacing the chicken with an eggplant just seems like a really strange idea.

TheGrue

Eggplant Parmesan confuses me. I mean, I love Chicken Parmesan, but mostly due to the chicken. Replacing the chicken with an eggplant just seems like a really strange idea.

Because eggplant tastes pretty fucking awesome. In your defense, though, so does chicken.

terrisus

Because eggplant tastes pretty fucking awesome. In your defense, though, so does chicken.

But are they comparable in any way? That would seem to me to be the purpose of food substituting - switching out one food for something else that tastes similar.

PG2G

I used to rarely eat vegetables outside of potatoes but have been experimenting a bit recently due to my cholesterol being higher than it should be.

Roasted Brussels sprouts are fantastic
Mashed Cauliflower comes surprisingly close to mashed potatoes
Spent $500 on a vitamix and now I get a crap load of spinach and kale every day (and fruits)

M-PG71C

30 years old and gagging on vegetables? Seriously?

You know what? At least he can come out and state his problems honestly and seek out solutions.

Try these veggies cooked hibachi style man, go to a good Japanese place. They'll make you change your mind. ;)

M-PG71C

Yeah, that is something I haven't tried yet, and really should.

For real. I hated zucchini with a passion. But then I went to a Japanese place that had a open hibachi. One bite and I was in love, before I knew it, I started to really like it in multiple dishes.

hwalker84

What are you, 12?

I can't imagine a grown ass man going "ewwww vegetables!" Like, "I want a hamburger, hold the lettuce, and onions, and tomatoes, and..."

c'mon son

I have a coworker that's like that. Hamburger completely plain, chicken sandwich completely plain. Is weirded out by ketchup to the point where he wont touch the bottle. He would make his wife move it. Just became able to move the bottle himself if he puts a napkin between him and the bottle. He's almost 40.

Even he will eat vegetables.

Other day, we had flash cooked Brussels sprouts, pan fried with garlic and onions in a sweet soy sauce, then topped with goat cheese.

It was God.

Do anything with them BUT steaming or boiling.

Boiled and steamed vegetables made them something I endured, not enjoyed.
Moving out and cooking them myself I was shocked at how damn tasty they can be. I couldn't stand brussels sprouts as a kid since I always had them steamed. Chopped them up and put them in a pasta and they were goddamn delicious.

gimmmick

Maybe because I'm a chef and was raised Italian / Asian .... But vegetables have always tasted amazing while growing up. Maybe if more Americans had a better back ground of good cuisine , then possibly you wouldnt feel as negative as you are about them OP.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Just keep trying stuff out. Some of these foods are going to be an acquired taste. I use to dislike raw tomatoes, but I've been eating healthier lately so I've been trying to add more of them. The more I eat them the less I notice them. Maybe at some point down the line I'll actually get around to liking them!

Once you make the decision to eat healthier, your body is going to adapt.

Glad to hear it's going better, this almost sounds like a medical condition! :p

I feel sad for these people who can only eat a plain burger with nothing else.

PG2G

Eat some Indian or Pakistani food. Dont think I've ever had such a delicious representation of vegetables

arab

vegetables taste bad because you have the palette of a one year old. quit lying to yourself that you can't find any pleasure in eating veggies

IceCold

I don't understand how you weren't able to enjoy a good salad for all these years. Any meal I eat that doesn't have one seems incomplete. With that said, go eat a greek salad bro.

Forget about all the bullshit salad dressing out there btw. Stick to vinegar and olive oil.

Eusis

Eat some Indian or Pakistani food. Dont think I've ever had such a delicious representation of vegetables
This is what I've been wanting to do for awhile. I'm OK with eating vegetables, but I want to sort of rig the game as it were, find something delicious I want to KEEP eating and let that rope me into reliably eating vegetables in a good way rather than a "shut up stomach" way.

And man, I was bad in the past but not quite like the OP. Certainly not with potatoes, but that sounds like it'd kind of the junk food of plants unfortunately.

PG2G

I don't understand how you weren't able to enjoy a good salad for all these years. Any meal I eat that doesn't have one seems incomplete. With that said, go eat a greek salad bro.

Forget about all the bullshit salad dressing out there btw. Stick to vinegar and olive oil.

I eat veggies and I'm still not interested in a salad most of the time. I will say I hate tomatoes so my salads tend to be kind of boring though.

terrisus

I tried oil and vinegar on one of the salads, and I didn't like it. Made everything taste kind of soggy and gross (and it's not that there was too much on where it was soaked or anything, just the taste of it in general).
Tried blue cheese dressing on another, but it was very overpowering. Might try it again with less on and see if that helps.

Haven't given any other dressings a shot yet though.

I eat veggies because my wife insist that I eat them. I don't dislike them but a bowl of mac and cheese does a lot more for me than a bowl of broccoli.

But thanks to her I have broccoli almost every night and haven't had mac and cheese in years, which is ok though.

Happy to hear you're still giving it a go and finding stuff you like. Still boggles my mind that at your age vegetables are in the ewwww category. I grew up on Stovetop stuffing (too poor for meat sometimes), but goddamn I LOVE vegetables. Keep working at it OP. Tastes and feels so good once you get rolling.

Olives are AWESOME.

cajunator

Banned
Man I can put down an entire bowl of broccoli and cauliflower or some artichokes or kale chips.
mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom