• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk does the work

GavinUK86

So are we finally going to find out why
the queen looks human
?

Well...
we already knew she was a descendant of the scientists who created the Sire's during the Pendulum Wars but she disappeared at some point and turned up when the first Locust showed up but any information after that was never revealed. I guess that one's gonna stay dead and buried considering they had the perfect chance to explain at the end of Gears 3 but didn't.

I'm excited about this news. I'd love a new Gears game. I don't want a compilation of the last 3 though ((Judgement sucked), if people want to play them, play them on the 360. Don't keep dragging out the past.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hell yeah, I love Gears of War. I don't care what system it ends up on, but I love the piss out of it! Glad to see another one is marching on!

Begaria

I was wondering if Microsoft was ever going to go for it, and they did. I'd say it's a pretty smart move. So much for the speculation behind what Black Tusk was working on. Oh well, I'd say let them wet their toes in a known quantity before trying something riskier with an unproven development team.

This is good news. At least Microsoft is realizing they need IP ownership in order to ensure exclusives stay exclusive.

However, I was really hoping Black Tusk was working on a new IP, this pretty much ensures that "Gears of War" is going to get the Halo treatment and it may get a ton of sequels but IMO Gears of War's universe isn't deep enough to make another game let alone another trilogy.

TBH I don't see why MS doesn't just buy the Dead Rising IP too. I certainly think of it as a MS game series despite a few games on other formats.

SSM25

Oh boy, I bought a 360 just to play gears 1, I was bored with 2 and did not bother with the rest of them.

Even when I'm not going to be able to play the next gen ones, I hope they give the series a fresh start.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
All the interesting aspects of the Gears universe were well and truly wrapped up as far as I'm concerned so I really hope they have something new planned and are just making use of the Gears name to launch it.

Azih

I don't know. MS seems to be grasping at straws a bit. Why are they trying to fight with yesterday's weapons?

Stop this MS.. Tempting me so much for an Xbone...

Loved Gears of War, and the Second was good, but never played the rest.

Would liek to see how the series evolves. I want The Stranded storyline

Dug

Banned
So, Black Tusk isn't working on a new IP? Shame, the tech demo they showed at E3 looked pretty cool. Hopefully they do Gears well.

This is a smart move by Microsoft !

The Gears universe can be facinating if done right. I loved Judgement and hopefully Black Tusk makes a respectable Gears of War game which i'm sure they will as Rod Fergusson is there and MS will make sure the next Gears of War game isn't a dud.

It's nice to see MS invest in 1st party franchises.

Kabuto

Guess I'm buying an Xbox One this gen! I spent so much time playing Gears 3 MP and if Microsoft can get that formula right again, that would redeem them so much.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Did anyone really expect Gears to come to Playstation?

I feel as if the hype for the series has gone down in the past few years.

NHale

To me the hiring of Rod Ferguson is much more important than Gears of War IP. Although this news + Cliffy B leaving Epic makes me think that Tencent doesn't want Epic to do console games.

But what about Black Tusk? Did they cancelled the new IP that so many raved about or does this new studio suddenly has 2 games in development at the same time?

I don't want a new Gears. Nor do I want a new Uncharted but seems like it will be exactly what I will get. Great start for this generation. :-/

Was just playing judgement tonight
yes judgement
and was thinking that I hope there is a next gen version. so I am happy.

And to everyone that is saying they are burnt out on the series and that they should have retired it, this game won't be out until late next year so it will be a long time before you'll see it.

BPoole

You mean like Killzone, Infamous and Uncharted? :p In all seriousness, this news pleases me as Gears is one of my favorite franchises and its good to it will continue as a series.
That's what it looks like and I'm not liking it at all. MS should offer more genre diversity and new IPs, especially if you just launched a new console.
C'mon, really? Uncharted, killzone..forget it.
- Killzone/Uncharted/Gran Turismo.

- Mario/Mario/Mario

Hey this is easy!
Yeah nothing like Mario or Nathan Drake... or Sly Cooper..

Come on..
There is enough room for new IP's next to these.

Last gen we had 2 Killzones, 3 Uncharteds, and 2 Infamous games. On the other hand, we had 5 Halo games, 4 Forza games, and 4 Gears of War games

rouken

lol at people thinking the secret black tusk game is gears.

did we all watched the same teaser trailer last E3? that's gears alright.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
And this all but confirms more Gears of War for XB1, which kinda grinds my own. I mean, this was the big announcement?
Today's not over though, waiting for Crackdown or something.
To be clear it only had like 12 hours hype cycle but still. To the general gamer absolutely nothing has changed with this announcement.

"What's the big news for today?"
"Gears of War is going to stay Xbox Exclusive!"
"Oh... Umm okay."

And once again, we have another franchise hand-off. Bungie to 343 and Epic to Black Tusk. It's just... kind of frustrating. Though that may stem from the fact that I've never liked Gears of War. So it's less of an, everybody should feel like I do, and more
of a, why doesn't everyone do what I want, kinda deal.
So going by this
That Black Tusk game never existed.
Hahaha, haha, ha... No. No no no. Nope.
*Initiate Covering Ears Mode*

Jack cw

All they need is to do a proper reboot of the series. It suffers from franchise fatigue but maybe less dudebro and more mature and sci fi and I'm in. Still, without Epic and Cliffy I cant imagine this being so well balanced and fun to play.

Neuro

Interesting . how did the last gear do sales wise?

When was the last time sony / Nintendo bought a 3rd party IP.

I like this move better than money hat 3rd party to restrict other platforms. This time they are bringing something

The IP belonged the MS all along, I think they had a similar contract like they had with Bungie with the Halo IP belonging to them all along even when they became independent

So 343i is building Halo 5 and Black Tusk Gears of War X wonder where this will lead to...

Hanmik

Back last year Phil said this..

http://kotaku.com/whats-next-for-the-xbox-one-1471212785

I asked Spencer what was next for Gears and if he could provide any assurances that the series would remain exclusive to Xbox. He gave a little laugh. "It's Epic's franchise," he said. "You and I both know that. I can't make any assurances about anybody else's franchise."P

He deferred to Epic on the question on the state of Gears. I asked Epic what was next and if Gears would still be Xbox-only. They declined to comment. P

"I'm a huge fan of the franchise," Spencer told me. "I want to continue to work with Gears. I think there's a lot of life left in that franchise. We had an internal discussion on it even yesterday. It's something that's active in discussion about what we can do with Gears. Obviously, I know [Epic's management] Tim Sweeney, Mark Rein, Jay Wilbur incredibly well, so nothing to announce yet and I'd say, yes, there's nothing even pending that I'm holding to announce, but I understand the importance of the franchise to the Xbox platform and to gamers—I'd say gamers first. It'd be great to do something forward with that franchise. P

"It's Epic's game and we have to talk to them about a partnership and what they want to do. As you know, you probably know right now they're more focused on other areas of their business right now."

looks like they allready tried to negotiate something back then.,

Gears of War has always been closely associated with Xbox, many people already assume that MS owns it so this is a smart move. The image of Gears of War coming to PS4 would be another PR blow that they really don't need.

Loudninja

Gears of War's new home, Black Tusk Studios, may come as a surprise to Xbox fans who watched Microsoft's press conference from E3 2013. It was there where Spencer teased a new project from Black Tusk, a sleek, stealthy action game with no name.

"The thing we showed at E3 last year, it was something that was done in Unreal and more of a concept piece," Spencer said, calling it "an asset" created by the team to get their creative juices flowing, not necessarily an in-development game.

"The studio has really been incubating different ideas over the past six to nine months on what they might work on," he said, "but the discussion with Epic obviously didn't start yesterday. We've been in this discussion for a while. The leadership team there has known for a while."
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/27/5345342/gears-of-war-xbox-one-microsoft-epic-games-rod-fergusson

TheOddOne

Xbox is really for Americans confirmed...

Yep, MS can't seem to creating anything in studio so they buy ips and then hire company to do the games....great business here....

Like Rare....lets see how much time they take to ruin whatever good was in GOW.....they will run it into the ground....

MS approach to mostly everything they're in....remember they filled the hole of the xbox division with android patent fees....they need to leave the gaming industry asap....
awkward-gif.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kind of a shame that Epic seems to be exiting this kind of development.

I wonder if UE4 is going to become a somewhat more mobile orientated engine, or if maybe they have some other flagship 'AAA' game to fly the flag for it.

Gadirok

And this all but confirms more Gears of War for XB1, which kinda grinds my own. I mean, this was the big announcement?
Today's not over though, waiting for Crackdown or something.
To be clear it only had like 12 hours hype cycle but still. To the general gamer absolutely nothing has changed with this announcement.

"What's the big news for today?"
"Gears of War is going to stay Xbox Exclusive!"
"Oh... Umm okay."

And once again, we have another franchise hand-off. Bungie to 343 and Epic to Black Tusk. It's just... kind of frustrating. Though that may stem from the fact that I've never liked Gears of War. So it's less of an, everybody should feel like I do, and more
of a, why doesn't everyone do what I want, kinda deal.

I totally forgot about that.

Well, maybe MS will actually let them do their own unique IP once they get a halo out of the door. Unless, of course they are perfectly happy making halo games forever.

Leflus

That's what it looks like and I'm not liking it at all. MS should offer more genre diversity and new IPs, especially if you just launched a new console.
You mean new IPs like Ryse, Project Spark, Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive?

Or games in various different genres like Max, Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Kinect Sports and Fable Legends?

Mondy

Banned
Good move but I don't want this gen to be defined by franchises from last gen. Eventaully I'd like Uncharted, Gear, AC, Battlefield and COD to F'off.

I think, for the most part, that is exactly what you're going to get. We've seen a new Uncharted announced from Sony and moves like this from Microsoft seem to suggest they're putting all their stock in their established franchises as well.

The reception to Ryse and Knack will do new I.P's no favors in the long run. Since next gen began we've seen what, 4 new I.Ps announced for future games, The Order, Watch Dogs (which isn't looking very good, if I'm honest), Drive Club and Evolve. That's it. All the other announced but unreleased games are established franchises.

You mean new IPs like Project Spark, Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive?

Or games in various different genres like

We've seen virtually nothing from these games. At least wait until we've seen actual gameplay before claiming these are actually coming out.

Duxxy3

The IP belonged the MS all along, I think they had a similar contract like they had with Bungie with the Halo IP belonging to them all along even when they became independent

So 343i is building Halo 5 and Black Tusk Gears of War X wonder where this will lead to...

Hopefully some good games, and an excuse for me to buy an xbox one at some point.

RulkezX

I'm annoyed that the Black Tusk reveal was just them " playing around to get the creative juices flowing" , because it absolutely wasn't portrayed like that.

GEoW wrapped up nicely after 3 , Judgement was shit with a new team :/ I'd really have preferred MS to invest in their own new IP. GeoW was synonymous with my 360 years , i loved the mainline games , yet my hype for them continuing a series that reached it's natural end is zero.

To me the hiring of Rod Ferguson is much more important than Gears of War IP. Although this news + Cliffy B leaving Epic makes me think that Tencent doesn't want Epic to do console games.

But what about Black Tusk? Did they cancelled the new IP that so many raved about or does this new studio suddenly has 2 games in development at the same time?

"The thing we showed at E3 last year, it was something that was done in Unreal and more of a concept piece," Spencer said, calling it "an asset" created by the team to get their creative juices flowing, not necessarily an in-development game.

"The studio has really been incubating different ideas over the past six to nine months on what they might work on," he said, "but the discussion with Epic obviously didn't start yesterday. We've been in this discussion for a while. The leadership team there has known for a while."

Look at this though:

Gears of War's new home, Black Tusk Studios, may come as a surprise to Xbox fans who watched Microsoft's press conference from E3 2013. It was there where Spencer teased a new project from Black Tusk, a sleek, stealthy action game with no name.

This sucks big time if true :/

Top Bottom