• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, we've had to deal with this pain time and time again, but it needs to be asked again:

Is March 9th a real street date this time?

Nintendo is notoriously bad at being unclear about when a game is actually available and rarely goes for street dates, but this is a Sunday. It could be a different case. We have a really huge party planned for March 9th as a celebration, but if the game is only shipping on that day then we've got to wait until the following weekend!

I no longer have connections to figure this stuff out, which is why I reach out to GAF for help on this one. Somebody get to the bottom of this please!

Fenix

JasoNsider said:
Guys, we've had to deal with this pain time and time again, but it needs to be asked again:

Is March 9th a real street date this time?

Nintendo is notoriously bad at being unclear about when a game is actually available and rarely goes for street dates, but this is a Sunday. It could be a different case. We have a really huge party planned for March 9th as a celebration, but if the game is only shipping on that day then we've got to wait until the following weekend!

I no longer have connections to figure this stuff out, which is why I reach out to GAF for help on this one. Somebody get to the bottom of this please!

Nothing ever really ships on Sundays, and Nintendo always reserves Sundays for particularly HUGE releases (Hardware/Pokemon usually). It'll be in stores on a Sunday.

Fenix said:
Nothing ever really ships on Sundays, and Nintendo always reserves Sundays for particularly HUGE releases (Hardware/Pokemon usually). It'll be in stores on a Sunday.

Thanks for the assurance! Usually hardware would release on Sunday, but I didn't want to just plan this party and then find out on March 8th that, oops, that's a ship date yet again. I just wanted to be sure. If this is in fact a street date, color me impressed with Nintendo's wake up call on release dates. More games should have a street date like DVDs get.

Scribble

Firestorm said:
I've been posting pretty consistently except for a dry spell after the delay where this thread was really, really boring.

I think that the WHOLE Internet Brawl community got boring during that time.

Jiggy

JasoNsider said:
Thanks for the assurance! Usually hardware would release on Sunday, but I didn't want to just plan this party and then find out on March 8th that, oops, that's a ship date yet again. I just wanted to be sure. If this is in fact a street date, color me impressed with Nintendo's wake up call on release dates. More games should have a street date like DVDs get.
It's not really a wake up call: they only do these Sunday releases for enormous sellers like Smash and Pokemon. And Wii itself. Everything else just gets the Monday-err-we-mean-Wednesday release date. :/

But yeah, you can get a copy at midnight if you want. Gamestop is hosting a tournament at the midnight launch, apparently.

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
It's not really a wake up call: they only do these Sunday releases for enormous sellers like Smash and Pokemon. And Wii itself. Everything else just gets the Monday-err-we-mean-Wednesday release date. :/

But yeah, you can get a copy at midnight if you want. Gamestop is hosting a tournament at the midnight launch, apparently.
Indeed. My local gamestop said midnight launch 99.999999% and probably a tournament (possibly both versions).

Got my night planned on Saturday. Visit a friend, do a "good-bye Melee" party, then begin the wait for a new era... Though it looks like I have a test the next day... Studying while in Line then.. :(

Jiggy37 said:

Yeah, the monday-wednesday-call-retailer-every-day bullocks is annoying. If they really want to generate hype for a product they could actually push a street date for a product. Not even Mario Galaxy had a street date, which confused the hell out of me.

Anyway, midnight launch/Sunday morning freezing cold launch is a go!

Jiggy

scottnak said:
Indeed. My local gamestop said midnight launch 99.999999% and probably a tournament (possibly both versions).
Just check the list of participating stores if you're not sure on the Brawl tournament. >_>
...Incidentally, this has got to be the only time in my life I'll ever promote Gamestop. Or at least until the midnight launch tournament for Super Smash Bros. Royale in 2015.

Anyway, can't wait for March 9th. :eek:

Jiggy37 said:
Just check the list of participating stores if you're not sure on the Brawl tournament. >_>
...Incidentally, this has got to be the only time in my life I'll ever promote Gamestop. Or at least until the midnight launch tournament for Super Smash Bros. Royale in 2015.

Keep in mind we don't have that chain in Canada. We've got EB. Still, the fact that they're pushing a midnight launch points to a March 9th wide-release. Very encouraging!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
webrunner said:
Is anyone else creeped out that there was a discussion on meteor smashes just the afternoon before this update?

It's not as creepy as the time that we were talking about the likelyhood that Metroid Prime would see absolutely no representation in this game minutes before we got the Frigate Orpheon stage.

Jiggy37 said:

Neither can I, my friend. Neither can I.

Fenix

JasoNsider said:
Keep in mind we don't have that chain in Canada. We've got EB. Still, the fact that they're pushing a midnight launch points to a March 9th wide-release. Very encouraging!

Indeed, I am hoping for a midnight release at certain large locations here in Vancouver so I can smash with my friends after a bit of practice.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
RE: March 9th being the real date or not, I've seen posters up in store windows, I think it might have been Best Buy but maybe not, that reference the March 9th date explicitly. That's all the proof I need.

Also, I think the mystery before was due to the JP version not being out yet, either. At this point, though, we know there's no actual development going on. It'll definitely make it out on time.

webrunner

JasoNsider said:

Actually we do, but only barely. They bought out all the Music World locations (you may hve noticed them closing) and are planning on opening Gamestops in most of them. They're supposed to all be open by early April, although some reportedly are open now!

Tathanen said:
RE: March 9th being the real date or not, I've seen posters up in store windows, I think it might have been Best Buy but maybe not, that reference the March 9th date explicitly. That's all the proof I need.

Also, I think the mystery before was due to the JP version not being out yet, either. At this point, though, we know there's no actual development going on. It'll definitely make it out on time.

I know what you're saying but there have been countless times we've seen promotional materials say "Available January blah, 2007" or whatever....which is marketing bullshit for "yeah, any time between that date and three days after." I can't think of a more sloppy method for releasing a product that relies so heavily on "excitement".

If I know for a fact that I can get a DVD movie on a date advertised, why can I not be confident about games? The fact that they're as mixed on this policy as they are (only pokemon, smash, and hardware....not even Mario releases?) makes the situation even more ridiculous.

Jiggy

Predicting a stage tonight. We had two last week and two the week before, and have only had one so far this week.

Also predicting hoping for a code that allows players to use the Subspace Emissary levels as multiplayer stages.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Jiggy37 said:
Also predicting hoping for a code that allows players to use the Subspace Emissary levels as multiplayer stages.

Man that would be so cool, but would never happen. T_T I don't understand why some of the backgrounds from SSE weren't used as presets for the stage builder :(

Iam Canadian

Heck, I'll go the whole nine yards and hope for a Subspace level builder.

And I know that's never happening. Not in a spoilery sense, it's just way too awesome to ever happen. Even for Sakurai.

MrCheez

"But there’s no outrunning this guy..."

:lol

I thought in-game that Cap's golden nipples of justice were missing... but there they are! Thank da Lord!

Gotta love his new scarf, btw

MrCheez

BTW Cap's final smash is probably the flashiest and coolest looking in the entire game. When he connects with it you get an entire cutscene with the characters landing on that raceway... and the camera angles and movement is VERY dramatic :lol

Fenix

Can I use this now? :D

DevyFalcon.jpg

(I recognize I have the worst photoshop/gimp skills ever)

Jiggy

Back to the stages for a moment, there's literally only one downside I can see to the game being online and Nintendo theoretically continually releasing patches to prevent Action Replay use, and that's that it would also stop us from being able to have brawls on Target Smash stages or wherever. ;_;

Anyway, REVERSE FALCON PUNCH.

Iam Canadian

Wow, my first section is yielding better material than I had thought. I get to explore the entire spectrum of emotions for Smash fans; bitter tears (Lyn as an Assist and Ice Climbers returning) and sheer joy (WiFi). :D

I'm almost through my first section...though I think I may have too many quotes, and I'm not even done yet. >_> I may have to prune it a bit before I send it to Jig.

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
Back to the stages for a moment, there's literally only one downside I can see to the game being online and Nintendo theoretically continually releasing patches to prevent Action Replay use, and that's that it would also stop us from being able to have brawls on Target Smash stages or wherever. ;_;

Anyway, REVERSE FALCON PUNCH.

NOOOCLAAAAAF PUNCH!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom