• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI Reviews: Castlevania LoS 2 - 6.0, LR:FFXIII - 7.0, DKC:TF - 9.25

RPGCrazied

I wonder how long the campaign is in LoS 2.

And Lightning Returns getting a 7 is about what I expect. Again, going to get that day 1 while I wait for LoS 2 and Tales of Symphonia HD collection. :)

MYE

I'm actually pretty excited about the modern "gothic city" setting. I think it looks great

Castlevania_lords_of_shadow_2_1.jpg

castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-1389281989448_1280x720.jpg

news35109_3-new_castlevania_lords_of_shadow_2_screenshots_show_off_its_modern_day_setting.jpg

And its not like they went away with the old gothic look entirely

CastlevaniaLordsOfShadow2ss_004.jpg

castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-imagen-i326182-i.jpg

Voror

Hmm, I'm going to wait for more impressions. I don't generally put much in GI's reviews and often disagree with them, though in the case of LoS I thought the score was a bit high.

NotLiquid

I'm surprised DKC scored as well as it did when it looked completely uninspired compared to SM3DW. I don't believe.

Let's be fair here with that hindsight on recent Nintendo offerings; at one point people were so down on 3D World that they believed Sonic Lost World looked better and was going to end up being better. DKCTF is no different really when you delve into what's been shown, other than Retro/fucking Donkey Kong etc.

steven28

wow that is disappointing for castlevania i thought it would get at least an 8/10..i'm still interested in the game because it's the kind of genre i really like.

What a horrible night to have a six.

I had no idea Lightning Returns had a quest-based level-up system. My interest took a hit after reading about that.

"Lisa and I both knew that our Paper Mario scores were going to cause controversy. Yes, we know that many people out there will love it. We also know that it is a well-made game. However, it also WILL NOT appeal to many people - I would safely say that more people will dislike it than like it. Why? Like we said in the review, it's a very kiddie game - it's target audience is clearly young gamers - I would say 10 and under. For that reason, we had to score it low. Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions, we're also scoring them based on how much we think THE GAMING PUBLIC will like them."

The critic in me is screaming.

Floex

I'm taking reviews form GI with a pinch of salt but I've always been skeptical of putting Castlevania into a modern setting. Will be gutting to hear other reviewers to say the same thing though, seems an age this one has taken to come out.

sn00zer

I wont say anything about LoS2 until I play it, but from what Ive sen it looks incredible...as long as the setting and enemies are interesting and the combat is solid it's enough for me

Mr. RHC

Ok, I need a IGAVANIA purist fan for an Avatar bet right now.

If LoS2 scores lower than LoS1, you can give me one of your IGAVANIA Avatars for a month...

Shinta

Banned
You are not mistaken.

Game looks great. Kind of a shame about LOS possibly.

I'm not too worried about it. It may be a little rough around the edges but they said it's a 20 hour game, and has some kind of extra mode that makes it 30 hours.

I played the demo 4x, and grew to like it more each time.

The camera seems to be fully up to the player to control, like Ninja Gaiden. I have literally no problems with this at all, but a lot of people really don't like managing their own camera views and they get frustrated, especially in the middle of combat. Me? I like it that way.

Enemies stun-locking you ... I'm always a little skeptical when people claim that's the case, since the game has a ton of moves, 3 weapon styles, a quick recovery when on the ground, dodges and counters. There's probably a way to deal with it.

Stealth section sucking is definitely possible, but it's probably one small part of the game.

The game's entire structure for level design is different than the first. That's the main thing I wanted to hear about, and he really doesn't say anything.

Was expecting low scores for Castlevania & Lighting Returns. Not surprised by any of this.

They look like two soon to be bargain bin turds from the videos & impressions I seen.

MYE

Dont shoot me but I have a feeling the exact same game would have scored better on PS4Bone.
I'm getting "generational fatigue" vibes from so many reviews lately, I honestly don't know how much importance I should give to the apparent lack of excitement from some reviewers.

Moofers

I wont say anything about LoS2 until I play it, but from what Ive sen it looks incredible...as long as the setting and enemies are interesting and the combat is solid it's enough for me

Exactly. There are plenty of games I've really enjoyed that didn't get perfect scores across the board. Since I saw the extended trailer from E3 last year, I've had a full rage-on for this. I think its the closest thing we have to a true vampire story like Legacy of Kain when that was around. I'm still excited.

As someone that thought LoS1 was flawed and was hoping LoS2 was better, it sounds like they made things differently without actually fixing the things that needed fixing.

Ahasverus

Dont shoot me but I have a feeling the exact same game would have scored better on PS4Bone.
I'm getting "generational fatigue" vibes from so many reviews lately, I honestly don't know how much importance I should give to the apparent lack of excitement from some reviewers.
I concur.

"Lisa and I both knew that our Paper Mario scores were going to cause controversy. Yes, we know that many people out there will love it. We also know that it is a well-made game. However, it also WILL NOT appeal to many people - I would safely say that more people will dislike it than like it. Why? Like we said in the review, it's a very kiddie game - it's target audience is clearly young gamers - I would say 10 and under. For that reason, we had to score it low. Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions, we're also scoring them based on how much we think THE GAMING PUBLIC will like them."

I ain't played a single Paper Mario game and reading this just made me groan out loud.

Top Bottom