• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty is annual, rotating between 3 devs w/ 3 year dev time, Sledgehammer 2014

Isurus

I hope they try to differentiate by going back to different eras. I'd really like to see another WWII COD. COD 2 had a fantastic campaign; it would great to see a next gen version.

Thomper

No, just the fact that the king-of-all-cookie-cutter franchise wouldn't make a difference between a 3 year cycle as opposed to 2 previously. Maybe I'm wrong.... but can you blame me?
I don't think we'll suddenly see radically different games, no. But you can see plenty of spots in the last few COD-games where things were just rushed and could be easily improved with a few more months of extra work.

Basically, it's like this: CoD: Ghosts scored like a 6.5-7 in the average review. An extra year of dev time, if used properly, should allow them enough time to get that back up to a 7.5-8. Not spectacular (unless they reinvent some more) but not broken in sports either.

dr_rus

I feel sad seeing so much resources put into CoD releases.
Last good CoD was MW1. After that it went down and down. BO2 and Ghosts were straight awful.

I am NOT a big fan of the COD games usually but I did really enjoy the Ghosts single player mission. Particularly the mission on the skyscraper in Caracas.

I will get BLOPS3 to play Zombies with my brother...Extinction just didn't do it for us.

RetroStu

Banned
They won't be able to have any excuses now if the games are under par like Ghosts was, 3 years is more than enough time with these big teams to make a really good and complete games.

So... When are we going to see a new engine? Can at least one of the three games get away from the modern/near future warfare setting? I want WWII again. Or maybe Vietnam era. Or sutin.

Edit: Also, are we to assume, therefore, that SH have already been working on their game for two years plus at this point?

Hip Hop

So... When are we going to see a new engine? Can at least one of the three games get away from the modern/near future warfare setting? I want WWII again. Or maybe Vietnam era. Or sutin.

Edit: Also, are we to assume, therefore, that SH have already been working on their game for two years plus at this point?

I would really like a Police/SWAT theme. Been saying this for years but I guess Battlefield beat them to the punch if the recent rumor turns out true. At this point, that theme hasn't been done at all, well, not nearly as much as World War 2. I'm sure developers are afraid of taking it back in time as people want modern games. Call of Duty 4 overshadowed World at War heavily because of that. A lot of people didn't give the WWII game a chance just because of the theme. There are various things developers could do with modern settings that it can feel fresh again.

And yeah, I'm sure they started working on it as soon as Modern Warfare 3 shipped in late 2011. They were hiring around that time and I guess Infinity Ward started work on Ghosts on their own while Sledgehammer did their thing.

I think the most important question is: When will they use a new engine?

Rephrase that, when will they create a new engine from the ground up? Don't get me wrong I have been a passionate gamer of COD since the very beginning, but last years COD:Ghosts was so disappointing in every way and it's direct competition is light years ahead in graphics let alone destruction, scale etc.

Sledgehammer's game will be a jump up graphically on current gen/pc. It will be influenced by titanfall.

Blops 3 will basically be titanfall.

Titanfall is influencing game design and it isn't even out yet.

DocVape

Banned
The last CoD I actually enjoyed was the first Black Ops. It was a real bold step for the series I thought (so much so that they toned it down for Black Ops 2). And you could tell Treyarch had fun making it. It was the CoD game where you could stand up and walk around inside the main menu and play Zork for goodness sake.

So I'm disappointed but philosophical that Treyarch isn't releasing a game this year. Should give them time to do something really special.

I don't think we'll suddenly see radically different games, no. But you can see plenty of spots in the last few COD-games where things were just rushed and could be easily improved with a few more months of extra work.

Basically, it's like this: CoD: Ghosts scored like a 6.5-7 in the average review. An extra year of dev time, if used properly, should allow them enough time to get that back up to a 7.5-8. Not spectacular (unless they reinvent some more) but not broken in sports either.
That's cause IW sucks, Treyarch was putting out 8.5-9's

Treyarch should be the only one making these games every 3 years
No sledgehammer no IW no raven

Sledgehammer's game will be a jump up graphically on current gen/pc. It will be influenced by titanfall.

Pete, when you say current gen you mean the next gen systems that has been out since Nov of 2013 right? Could this years COD make its way to PS3/360 as well?

Mackins

Pete, when you say current gen you mean the next gen systems that has been out since Nov of 2013 right? Could this years COD make its way to PS3/360 as well?

It will definitely be out on PS360 this year and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't for the next 3 years. It has too big of a userbase not to release on last gen. Activision wouldn't be able to sleep at night if it didn't squeeze every bit of cash possible.

GenericUser

I think this is good news. Call of Duty (at its core) is still a valid multiplayer shooter and will stay healthy for years to come. Sure, the MW2 years are over, but the core is still intact.

looking forward to more polished games each year and significant reinterpretations of the formula from each of these talented developers.

Nokterian

20peh6q_zps709271c5.gif

This gif is the perfect response. In the meantime we see new stuff like Witcher 3 and beyond new engine's doing more stuff and for acitivision still stuck with that old engine.

Holy shit this is great news. And unlike Respawn surely the Activision teams will be doing single player campaigns, and hopefully other non-competitive modes.

It will definitely be out on PS360 this year and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't for the next 3 years. It has too big of a userbase not to release on last gen. Activision wouldn't be able to sleep at night if it didn't squeeze every bit of cash possible.

PS2 and the original Xbox had a big big userbase, but IW made COD MW exclusive to PS3/360 when it came out in 2007, and it was only a year from the release of the PS3!

Mackins

PS2 and the original Xbox had a big big userbase, but IW made COD MW exclusive to PS3/360 when it came out in 2007, and it was only a year from the release of the PS3!

Yes but they weren't really good on the network side of things and were probably a bit too weak to be cross-gen. CoD4 was a big step up from CoD3. I suppose it all depends on how quickly people jump aboard new gen really.

:( I was really looking forward to Treyarch's game this year.

I guess its good they have more time but still, can't help but be disappointed I have to wait longer for their next one!

Don't give a shit about the others.

Yes but they weren't really good on the network side of things and were probably a bit too weak to be cross-gen. CoD4 was a big step up from CoD3. I suppose it all depends on how quickly people jump aboard new gen really.

Xbox One & PS4 already has about 7-8 million units sold combined in less than three months from launch. There's an overwhelming demand for both next gen systems and by November 2014 both consoles would have reached 20+ million units. The adoption rate for both systems is incredibly high!

Mackins

Xbox One & PS4 already has about 7-8 million units sold combined in less than three months from launch. There's an overwhelming demand for both next gen systems and by November 2014 both consoles would have reached 20+ million units. The adoption rate for both systems is incredibly high!

It's still tiny compared to the 160,000,000 ish last gen consoles in the wild that are potential customers. I'm fully with you guys, I hope last gen gets dropped like hotcakes and developers focus on new gen, I just can't see the publishers being on our wave length though.

velociraptor

Those games have never compared to the units Call of Duty has sold. I don't see how you can make a comparison on Tony Hawk, it was never a huge hit, just a yearly release.

I really believe COD will never fall, or at least in the near future. If anything, a few fans will leave the series only to be replaced by a younger generation. It's basically become a "FIFA" at this point and still people haven't accepted that.

You better believe Activision will do everything in it's power if it were to ever have a chance of slow sales. They have shown it when they bought their own shares back, and they are showing it now by adding 3 devs into the mix.
I agree. The COD series has a blind following that will buy the game year in year out. Maybe the game will no longer break records, but they've got the fan base.

I can't wait to see what Treyarch can come up with a 3 year dev cycle. Their CODs are the only ones I buy so I guess I'll need to wait another year for a good COD game.

Sanic

Given the decline in sales (especially Ghosts), I have to imagine there is a lot of pressure on Sledgehammer to at least keep things stable YoY. They need to have really strong WoM.

Ensoul

I don't think a an extra year is going to make for an huge improvement.

What made ghost the weakest in the series is the levels and point streaks which you have to assume was worked on in team first year. I am not seeing how ghosts would be better had it had an extra year.

kdash7

And please tell me Blops 3 would be 4 player splitscreen offiline??? Please!!

TheFatMan

Haha I love all the people blaming Activision for making so many Call of Duty games.

While I understand their fear of what it could do to the FPS market, can you at all blame Activision for making these games when they continue to make hundreds of millions of dollars EVERY year? They are a business after all.

dr_rus

Haha I love all the people blaming Activision for making so many Call of Duty games.

While I understand their fear of what it could do to the FPS market, can you at all blame Activision for making these games when they continue to make hundreds of millions of dollars EVERY year? They are a business after all.

The problem here is that once they'll stop making money on them - they'll have nothing to replace CoD with this way of putting all their resources behind it. That's from business point of view.
From gamers point of view I'd much rather prefer to get three different franchises for each year instead of just CoD.

Suspected as much. I can only imagine the emergency meetings that must had been held by Activision and the entire CoD studio leads after the Titanfall reveal.

Activision: Titanfall your CoDs. Now.
IW: Not possible, boss. It's months till ship... and 5 platforms!!
SH: Urgh... the SP's content's pretty much finalised... none of the maps were designed for mechs... but we can add jump and jetpacks?
Treyach: Kay. Mechs it is then. Will it still be Black Ops or are we starting a new story? Future Warfare?
Acti: Nah, keep Blop3. We'll just say its Future Blops like Blops2.

Still, I expected influences to only appear starting from next year's CoD. The 3 year dev cycle probably gave the respective devs way more leeway to adapt Titanfall's design.

Madness

Let's see how long this lasts. Just because each game will have a 3 year dev cycle doesn't mean people won't be burned out, or that each game will necessarily improve. Since the IW disaster when almost all of the studio left and formed Respawn, Treyarch has become the best studio, while IW is a shell of its former self. Who knows how this will all pan out. I expect Treyarch to make the better version with the other two utilizing whatever gameplay/engine changes are made.

Going to be crazy though with Halo, Gears, Destiny, TitanFall, possibly Battlefront, Battlefield etc.

Maligna

Banned
So if I want to jump back into COD on the first of the games that has had this new 3 year development cycle... would that be this fall or in 2015?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So if I want to jump back into COD on the first of the games that has had this new 3 year development cycle... would that be this fall or in 2015?
2014's game (Sledgehammer), since Black Ops 2 (Treyarch) was 2012 and Ghosts (Infinity Ward) was 2013.

I think this year is Sledgehammer, so maybe 3 years if they started soon after MW3...
But MW3 was garbage, so I'm probably going to wait until next year for Treyarch.

I see CoD as a sports title now after how big esports is. They don't released them annual for story or anything like that anymore. I see it like the madden or fifa of shooters.

Deadbeat

Banned
I am sad blops 3 wont be here till 2015. But that also means its getting the time it needs because holy shit was ghosts a stinker.

Mind you 2014 cod might be good as its ex Dead Space devs. Who knows what they will cook up. I will still get hyped. I will still follow the game and its info. But at the end of the day I wont buy it just like ghosts unless its actually good. Outlook is greater than ghosts at least.

Top Bottom