• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty is annual, rotating between 3 devs w/ 3 year dev time, Sledgehammer 2014

AHA-Lambda

on the activision financial call just now

Developed by Sledgehammer confirmed.

I am shocked I didn't expect this to happen with the series sales decline.

Zozr

Neo Member
Give us one more good Treyarch game and kill the series for good, put it out of its misery

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does this mean they're adding another team or giving it a break for a year to get things back on track?

jediyoshi

Buh, doesn't seem like COD has the gameplay overhead for expansions to fill in the gaps. Spinoffs maybe?

NeoGIF

All I need is my Black Ops III this November so I can forget about the travesty known as COD Ghosts.

Rizific

So I'm guessing it's a staggered 3 year Dev cycle for IW and treyarch too which still equals a yearly release?

Xater

3 years for those games is a good thing. Let's hope they really use the time and do some interesting stuff with the games.

Vashetti

Banned
Megaton missing from title?

a8ufeew.gif

Vooduu

I'm a little confused. Does that mean we're getting an extra developer added to the mix?

3 separate CoD franchises essentially?

Jeez. More CoD..

So will there be a third developer? Or is it just 2 years on, 1 year break?

This could be a very good thing though. Ghosts was lackluster, and the campaigns haven't grabbed my attention for quite some time.

antitrop

I'm a little confused. Does that mean we're getting an extra developer added to the mix?

Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and Sledgehammer.

Raven and Neversoft also help where they are needed. Raven does a lot of work with the MP.

Alienous

I wouldn't be suprised by the idea of Sledgehammer making a Ghosts 2. Hopefully they get to make their game, though.

FStop7

Banned
This is great news for the franchise.

Edit - I think I misread. I thought it meant that the CoD brand was going on a 3 year rotation rather than annual releases. This actually isn't as great as I thought.

The brand needs a rest.

Milennia

Im taking this as good news.
Really curious about the sledgehammer game this year.

3year>2year in any situation, yet... Im tired of the franchise and haven't put time into one since MW2-black ops, as well as all the other new shooter franchises that will be eating away at my time this year.
Well see.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not sure I understand. So after the Sledgehammer game this year a new CoD will release only every 3 years? Or did I get that wrong?

€dit: Nevermind, has been answered. 3 studios working on CoD now... Jesus...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since some people are confused, basically (titles speculative):

2014: Modern Warfare 4 by Sledgehammer
2015: Black Ops 3 by Treyarch
2016: Ghosts 2 by Infinity Ward

This means there will be one new COD game every year the same as now but each one will have a 3 year development time. In order to meet the one game per year goal there will be 3 different developers.

Dysun

Hopefully this gives Treyarch even more chance to make a truly great CoD.

Also excited to see what Sledgehammer cooks up, since nu Infinity Ward can't be trusted

Top Bottom