• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty is annual, rotating between 3 devs w/ 3 year dev time, Sledgehammer 2014

Hexa

This could be just what the series needs. If each of them puts in the effort for an improved engine for next been and makes sure to take steps to differentiate themselves from the others, such as possibly having Treyarch go full future based Like bf2142, have sledgehammer go back to some historical stuff, and have infinity ward continue the modern type setting, each with majorly different gameplay elements flushed out with the extra year of development time such as mechs for treyarchs entry, I can see myself getting back into CoD.

Who the fuck am I kidding. It's cod. It'll be the same shit by three different developers.

Xater

Well, Ghosts has a Metacritic of 78 on its most reviewed platform (PS4), and it drops down to 73 on its second most reviewed (360).

It really looks like Ghosts was this thrown together stepping stone to give Sledgehammer the amount of time to get out a real next gen COD. It will be interesting to see to say the least.

So that means it gives the devs more time to work on the games? 3 years as opposed to 2? Good news then. Hope the next COD is next gen exclusive so it can take advantage of the new hardware.

Ntsouls

Banned
Haha haha haha everyone is so representative of reality!

Anyways. This is good news as its longer time in the oven.

Wish this is how other pubs handled popular games.
Fallout every other year. Thanks.
Elder scrolls?

NeoGIF

Ok, now that things are more clear, I won't be purchasing another COD until Treyarch relases their title, so 2015 it is.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Knock it out of the park? It's going to be Black Ops 3.

I thought Black Ops 2 was good in most aspects, so I don't see why a 3-year developed Black Ops 3 couldn't be great.

I was patient with Call of Duty but after the pile of shit called Ghosts, I am finally done with the series.

Ghosts is definitely the last one I get before trying someone else's copy, but I thought Treyarch's last effort was pretty good. I'm curious to see what Sledgehammer's flavor for the series will be.

Ridley327

Haha haha haha everyone is so representative of reality!

Anyways. This is good news as its longer time in the oven.

Wish this is how other pubs handled popular games.
Fallout every other year. Thanks.
Elder scrolls?

I don't think Skyrim would have gotten nearly the same amount of hype if was preceded by a couple of titles released between its release date and Oblivion's. There's a lot to be said about making a game feel like a true event release, as GTAV so ably proved last year.

Leave it Activision! Jesus, can't you just leave it to ONE DEV and have them come out with a decent game say every 2-3 years instead of annually. Treyarch, Sledge & IW could possible, idk make other games. Have one dev stick to the series and not go annual, that's why this game is tiring out now.
Activision likes making money though.

Technically my title names are also speculative, but I feel pretty good about them.

Activision doesn't deviate much with these CoD subtitles, so yeah, I think you're right on them.

wait so Activision gave MW series over to Sledgehammer? I though MW was Infinity Wards baby?

Sledgehammer is doing 2014's CoD. The last three CoDs have been MW3 (2011), Blops 2 (2012), and Ghosts (2013). Sticking with that kind of rotation, Modern Warfare is up next.

Plus, Infinity Ward is not the same Infinity Ward we once knew. Activision can make them do whatever they want.

kuYuri

Should stop releasing one every year. All this means is that treyarch weren't going to be ready for 2014 and sledgehammer will bang together some mess to fill the holiday gap.

this series used to be so good.

Errr, what? Sledgehammer hasn't been doing anything major for the last 2 and a half years since Modern Warfare 3. They are more than ready to have made a game in that time, especially after having experience working on MW3.

3 year dev times just give developers more time to fix what was never broken. It's a waste, increasing costs unnecessarily by 50% and decreasing overall returns.

Oh well, it's not my money.

Dawg

This isn't good.

Activision needs a good CoD again after the awful Ghosts. I had a feeling Treyarch would deliver again...but now we have to wait another year.

I really don't think Sledgehammer will make something really good like the second Black Ops, I'd like to be wrong though.

kuYuri

http://www.sledgehammergames.com/blog/view/301

Five years ago, we started on the most exciting journey of our careers. Sledgehammer Games was built around a singular goal – to create world-class interactive entertainment that entertains millions of fans around the world. We have a passion for creating games and a team dedicated to achieving excellence in everything that we do.

Having the honor of developing the new, next generation of Call of Duty is a developer’s dream come true. All of us here at Sledgehammer Games have a shared vision to create the best work of our lives. The next Call of Duty represents a new era for this amazing franchise, and we look forward to sharing what we have been working on.

Today is just the beginning, there is so much more to come!

+ + +

Glen Schofield & Michael Condrey

Founders of Sledgehammer Games

Amir0x

Banned
Man, I am so glad I jumped off the Call of Duty train after Modern Warfare corrupted the modern competitive FPS arena, but I am fascinated by how they're milking this cow and when it all comes slamming to an abrupt stop in popularity.

MercuryLS

Banned
Is there a company that burns through their franchises faster than Activision?

Acti is a well oiled franchise milking machine. They look for franchises they can milk for years, and when cash cows die due to milking (GH, THPS) they just make new ones. I'm always amazed that they can make/find new hot properties to milk, they struck gold with Skylanders for example.

Since some people are confused, basically (titles speculative):

2014: Modern Warfare 4 by Sledgehammer
2015: Black Ops 3 by Treyarch
2016: Ghosts 2 by Infinity Ward

The Sledgehammer game will be my third person scifi shooter, Call of Duty: Space Warfare. Those space sequences in Ghosts were a calculated move to gauge consumer reaction..

MercuryLS

Banned
Man, I am so glad I jumped off the Call of Duty train after Modern Warfare corrupted the modern competitive FPS arena, but I am fascinated by how they're milking this cow and when it all comes slamming to an abrupt stop in popularity.

I think Titanfall is going to take a huge chunk out of the COD fan base. It seems like a natural evolution of the COD formula (and then some). Probably won't really hurt COD until TF2 due to the exclusivity. It needs to be on all major platforms to crush COD.

kuYuri

The Sledgehammer game will be my third person scifi shooter, Call of Duty: Space Warfare. Those space sequences in Ghosts were a calculated move to gauge consumer reaction..

I still think Destiny is going to be Activision's major sci-fi franchise, but at this point, you just never know with CoD!

No Love

Banned
I'm guessing that Treyarchs game will be current gen only in 2015. This is the last year for 360:pS3/WiiU

Wrong. COD sells boatloads on PS3/360. They will have another dev make current gen versions ala COD when it was transitioning from PS2 era to 360.

TomShoe

Banned
wait so Activision gave MW series over to Sledgehammer? I though MW was Infinity Wards baby?

No one knows what the the next Call of Duty is going to be called yet. I assumed since IW went with the Ghosts title, either Sledgehammer is picking up MW4, or they're going to put up a new title altogether.

Kacho

It sucks that we have to wait another year for the Treyarch one but hopefully it's that much better because of it.

Nerokis

Interesting. CoD has long been an annual franchise, so it seems to me this is an investment in polish and ambition. Perhaps Sledgehammer will be able to add their own unique flavor to the franchise, too. Looking forward to seeing the results of this move, for sure.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm waiting for Call of Duty: Jurassic Warfare to come out and force DICE to finally put dinosaurs in Battlefield.

Stantron

Having three year development cycles will be good for all studios involved. It will give them each time to refine all aspects of their game. Good news.

I expect Sledge Hammer to be working on a new sub series. They proved themselves to be competent with MW3 campaign, so they definitely deserve it.

I expect their engine to be significantly upgraded this year as opposed to the rush job with Ghosts. However, I think the engine will still be cross gen for all Call of Duties until at least 2017 when enough people have finally moved on from last gen. Otherwise, that's just money on the table.

What? What!

2014 - Sledgehammer
2015 - Treyarch
2016 - Infinity Ward

Wow... Hopefully the quality increases next year with Treyarch, hopefully the extra year give Treyarch enough time to bump up the graphic quality.

But... Doesn't SledgeHammer help Infinity Ward a lot with their games? What's happening now? Is Neversoft helping Infinity Ward now?

haven't been a fan of the series since modern warfare 1 but people keep buying them so can't blame activision for continually putting more money into it(having more studios focus on cod)

I enjoy COD, it's definitely a lumbering industry behemoth, but the gameplay is fun and I hope they innovate in the future titles. A three year dev cycle per team should bode well for quality's sake.

Floex

This does sound like a good thing. 3 year dev cycle is perfect to really refine a game. Just hope each dev team is up to the job....

Top Bottom