• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty is annual, rotating between 3 devs w/ 3 year dev time, Sledgehammer 2014

What? What!

2014 - Sledgehammer
2015 - Treyarch
2016 - Infinity Ward

Wow... Hopefully the quality increases next year with Treyarch, hopefully the extra year give Treyarch enough time to bump up the graphic quality.

But... Doesn't SledgeHammer help Infinity Ward a lot with their games? What's happening now? Is Neversoft helping Infinity Ward now?

Think you are thinking of Raven

Sledgehammer helped out a lot with MW3:

d4tktKV.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

There are varying support studios on the different projects.

Owned Support:
Raven
Neversoft
FreeStyle
High Moon Studios

Contracted Support:
Certain Affinity
Nerve

Constant Support:
Beachhead
DemonWare

I might be missing some developers.

Hoodbury

I wonder if this will have any affect on whether or not the Wii U will get anymore CoD games going forward?

Treyarch ports all the games to the Wii-U even the IW ones, but now a third dev thrown into the mix makes it seem like that would be harder to manage. They'd have to support with patches the current game, work on porting the next game, while also working on their own 3 year cycled game.

The Wii-U port team at Treyarch is a very small subset of Treyarch as well. With sales of Wii-U not increasing, I can see Activision just dropping this division now.

Looking forward to finally seeing their next-gen engine proper. Probably not this year's title, likely with Treyarch's next year.

rXzMXzM.jpg

activision_next_gen_tech_6-s640x360-380354-580.jpg

activision_next_gen_tech_1-s640x360-380349-580.jpg

There are varying support studios on the different projects.

Owned Support:
Raven
Neversoft
FreeStyle
High Moon Studios

Contracted Support:
Certain Affinity
Nerve

Constant Support:
Beachhead
DemonWare

I might be missing some developers.

Damn. I never realized how many other studios they had helping... thanks.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What does EA do now?

They're annualizing, but with only two devs (DICE and Visceral).

One series is military based (DICE) and one is police themed (Visceral).

Outside of that they have Titanfall and Battlefront, but those aren't on rigid schedules.

I think that's the current sum total of their FPS bids unless BioWare's new IP is a first person RPG shooter, but that's a bit different.

Edit: Oh, you mean "do in response".

Amir0x

Banned
I think Titanfall is going to take a huge chunk out of the COD fan base. It seems like a natural evolution of the COD formula (and then some). Probably won't really hurt COD until TF2 due to the exclusivity. It needs to be on all major platforms to crush COD.

Difficult to believe that as EA screwed themselves for the future of the franchise a tiny bit with it being relegated to Xbox One's anemic userbase upon release (will it even be 4.2 million by that point? attach rates for games rarely exceed 60%) and a PC release. 360 has to wait 2 weeks now.

So that's three platforms vs. franchises that exist on every PlayStation and Nintendo console on the sun, as well as those that Titanfall exists on. As desperately as Microsoft wants it, the majority of these fans are not going to mass exodus to a platform with inferior hardware that costs $500 bucks. For the most part, this group could give a shit about Kinect as well.

gogosox8

What? What!

2014 - Sledgehammer
2015 - Treyarch
2016 - Infinity Ward

Wow... Hopefully the quality increases next year with Treyarch, hopefully the extra year give Treyarch enough time to bump up the graphic quality.

But... Doesn't SledgeHammer help Infinity Ward a lot with their games? What's happening now? Is Neversoft helping Infinity Ward now?

SledgeHammer worked on MW3 so if you liked the MW3 campaign then no worries. And I think your referring to Raven and I would assume so.

Actually great news. Gives Treyarch more time to deliver something good next year. Less stress for them too. Can't wait to see what Sledgehammer puts out. Funny how Treyarch became the better CoD studio after being in IW's shadow for so long.

Wurdfurd

So wait, is it confirmed that we are getting Sledgehammer his year and Treyarch next year?

Was reallllly hoping for one more good Treyarch COD before putting a bullet in its head.

Actually great news. Gives Treyarch more time to deliver something good next year. Less stress for them too. Can't wait to see what Sledgehammer puts out. Funny how Treyarch became the better CoD studio after being in IW's shadow for so long.

That is because the real IW left after MW2. Makes sense the torch is passed.

So wait, is it confirmed that we are getting Sledgehammer his year and Treyarch next year?

Was reallllly hoping for one more good Treyarch COD before putting a bullet in its head.

Seems like it will be sledge this year. How is it putting a bullet in treyarch? Treyarch gets more dev time which is good.

Ridley327

It lines up with the schedule they've mapped out. It will have been about three years since CODBLOPS2 when 2015 rolls around.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
This is great. Having an extra year to polish a game is always nice.

Wurdfurd

Seems like it will be sledge this year. How is it putting a bullet in treyarch? Treyarch gets more dev time which is good.

I meant me putting a bullet in COD. Last one i truly enjoyed was Blops 1, and Blops 2 was decent. Figured one more decent COD would be enough and I would just stop getting them all together.

Well done Acti... Maybe don't hammer it into the ground, and see if people are excited by the downtime?

What downtime? There's still going to be annual releases. Just alternating between three different studios now.

I wonder if when those two guys left Visceral with EA to set up a new Activision studio they knew that they would end up as part of the CoD production line. That being said, Visceral are supposedly doing a Battlefield game this year, so it's basically the same end result for both.

SMZC

This is good news for me. Black Ops 2 made me swear that I would never buy another Treyarch game ever again, an oath that I intend to keep. Now I can consider not just Infinity Ward's COD games, but also Sledge Hammer's. Hopefully they deliver.

This is good news for me. Black Ops 2 made me swear that I would never buy another Treyarch game ever again, an oath that I intend to keep. Now I can consider not just Infinity Ward's COD games, but also Sledge Hammer's. Hopefully they deliver.
What don't you like about Treyarch games?

They usually have some decent ideas and locales for their stories. The hit detection and net code is trash though. Probably because it was a mess when they branched off the IW engine.

For all the shit IW gets theirs is pretty spot on now but they lack the originality.

I think we're not going to see a BO3, I think that sub brand is now dead.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Treyarch go back to more Black Ops 1 style with its maps rather than Black Ops 2. Black Ops 1 is the only COD I really loved after 4, none of the others have really hit the spot for me.

hidden offline

Neo Member
This is win-win for everyone right?

As long as the extra dev time results in a more polished game more and possibly allow them to vary the gameplay a bit more between titles.

Also Zombies, aliens and ?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
first good news for COD in ages.

3 years is good for devs to make something decent, this series and Acti devs really need a longer development cycle like this.

hope EA follow.

Top Bottom