• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Gouketsuji Ichizoku: Bonnou Kaihou (Power Instinct Matrimelee) PS2 thread

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
shin_gouketsuji_store.jpg

Well, Bonnou Kaihou came out today, and I've had a chance to play the game briefly. Excite, not Atlus, is the publisher this time around, and rather than be just a straight Neo-Geo port, they've added content and improved the visuals a bit, while also having (unfortunately) removed the four bonus characters from Rage Of The Dragons, so it seems.

Although the game only has one new character, in the form of popular martial artist Bobby Olgan(sp), who has been animated in such a way that he fits in perfectly with the rest of the wacky cast, two characters from Power Instinct 2, Angela Belti, and Kintaro are also back.

In addition, the transformations from past Power Instinct games have returned as well, resulting in the "loss" of one character, since he has now back to being a transformation. The following characters are able to transform, effectively turning them into new characters with different attacks and combos for a limited amount of time:

Ume --> Young Ume (the classic transformation; she regains her youth)
Tane --> Young Tane (ditto)
Kurara --> Super Kurara (From PI2; she goes from little girl to scantily-clad woman on roller blades)
(Muscle) Kanji --> (Weak) Kanji (the only character with no transformation time limit; you can change his body type back and forth)
Kintaro --> Pochi (I would have preferred for Pochi to have been kept separate)

So far, I've only seen one new stage, which is another variation of the arena level for Bobby. Interestingly enough, the arena stage that shows "footage" from Rage Of The Dragons remains intact.

Bonnou Kaitou also features a new card collection system. So far, it seems you can only make use of the cards in versus and training modes; I don't see an option to use them in single player, and the same goes for Bobby and Sissy. There are a total of 70 cards to unlock, which you have to purchase with points you can get in the single player or mission mode. You cannot buy all the cards from the start; they are unlocked for purchase by completing missions and beating single player with all the characters. The game lets you use some cards in battle, but so far, all I've seen are cards for extra character colors, and one card that makes a tiny spirit follow your character; no idea if it actually does anything or not.

Visually, the game's sprites and backgrounds look the same as they did on the Neo-Geo, but all the character artwork, lifebars, onscreen text, and gauges have been made high res. In addition, all the special and super attack effects have been redone, also in high res, with some transparancies. It definitely looks better than the original game.

Audio remains the same, which is fine, since the original game, with its CD quality BGM filled with lyrics, was already high quality.

Finally, online play (only for Japan) is available, and a new animated intro, along with an animated cut scene for Bobby, have also been added to the game.

I'm still hoping that the Rage Of The Dragons characters remain intact, and have been changed to unlockable characters you have to purchase, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. It's nice to see such a high quality Neo-Geo conversion, however, and the added characters and transformations are welcome additions. Definitely a recommended title for 2D fighting game fans.

Lyte Edge said:
shin_gouketsuji_store.jpg

Well, Bonnou Kaihou came out today, and I've had a chance to play the game briefly. Excite, not Atlus, is the publisher this time around, and rather than be just a straight Neo-Geo port,
I'm going to miss those in this Hi-Def console future. Thank you for the impressions, sounds pretty cool. I dig hearing about this kind of stuff.

and Excite just earned some cool points for publishing this.

CO_Andy

What does Rage of the Dragons have to do w/ Power Instinct? Isn't Rage of the Dragons based off of Double Dragon?

Lyte Edge

Yeah, there's not many pics of the game out there (you can find some on Excite Japan's website), so I'll take some screengrabs when I get home in a couple of hours. You should be able to find pics from the Neo-Geo version on google, to give you an idea of what it looks like, BTW.

Forgot to mention that I also got a bonus soundtrack/2006 digital calender CD for reserving at my local game shop.

CO_Andy said:
What does Rage of the Dragons have to do w/ Power Instinct? Isn't Rage of the Dragons based off of Double Dragon?

Rage Of The Dragons was going to be a Double Dragon sequel, but due to licensing issues, they had to change some things (mostly character names) and presumably change the game's storyline a bit. Billy, Jimmy, and Abubo are still pretty obvious though. :)

RoTD was primarily developed by Evoga, but Noise Factory also did some work, and since Noise Factory also developed Power Instinct Matrimelee, they threw in four RoTD characters as a bonus. Matrimelee's play style actually feels a bit like RoTD's, as well.

Finaika

I haven't played this series yet. Is it as fun/good as, say KOF? Does it play similar to other series such as SFs/KOFs etc?

Lyte Edge

Randam, actually IIRC the game was announced like a year and a half ago, but took forever to come out for whatever reason. One of the electronic stores I always go to had a poster for the game up in their PS2 section when I first came to Kanazawa last August!

Finaika said:
I haven't played this series yet. Is it as fun/good as, say KOF? Does it play similar to other series such as SFs/KOFs etc?

Not as a complex a fighter as KOF, but definitely a very solid, fun fighting game. Also the wacky stage themes/BGMs (very unique stuff going on here, like aliens singing, a couple in a lounge singing and then they start fighting each other on stage, etc.) and character designs (although it's not everyone; some characters look pretty normal for the most part) give the game a unique charm.

This version has the best game play by far; Power Instinct and Power Instinct 2 are pretty aged these days, never played PI Gaiden, and Groove On Fight (arcade and Saturn) is also a bit aged nowadays, but still looks pretty cool IMO. Does anyone know if Groove On Fight was ever emulated? The Saturn version is supposedly missing a lot of animation.

Finaika

Lyte Edge said:
...Groove On Fight (arcade and Saturn) is also a bit aged nowadays, but still looks pretty cool IMO. Does anyone know if Groove On Fight was ever emulated? The Saturn version is supposedly missing a lot of animation.
OMG Groove On Fight... I just remembered playing that on the Saturn a long time ago. We just played it because it had a 4-players option. It was so wacky & Japanese-y & stuff, and I never took it seriously... thought it was kinda low-quality (although at first I thought KOFs were low quality too because of their choppy animation, but oh how have that changed...). So you're saying this is somewhat a sequel to Groove On Fight? Haha...

Top Bottom