• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch amiibo (RFID) range smaller than WiiU/3DS

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Since the inception of amiibo, I've been one of those weirdos who ever, ever so carefully made small slits along the underside of their packaging and used tiny tools to extract the metallic sticker Nintendo was using to prevent the scanning of figures while still packaged. Why? Although technically no longer "mint in box", they maintained the illusion well, yet could now be scanned and used normally on WiiU or 3DS. (By the by, last year Nintendo finally got wise: They added another layer of plastic and thicker cardboard with tabs to prevent scanning, requiring a more invasive "surgery". This is how it went:

GuXBTwZ.jpg

Enter Switch and the ability to use 15 compatible amiibo to get some pretty rad stuff in Breath of the Wild. Imagine my horror when the Joy-Cons and Pro Controller both refused to read my painstakingly modded amiibo — it was simply a matter of distance. Nintendo somehow, wickedly, reduced the range at which Switch controllers will read NFC chips.

The only way to read packaged amiibo now seemed to be snipping a hole through the outer plastic layer, inner plastic layer, and metallized cardboard strip, then thrusting a Joy-Con down into the jerryrigged travesty (the Pro is simply too large):

657yaNQ.jpg

Nuh-uh. Nizzasty, not to mention tremendously inconvenient. So I broke down and did the unthinkable...

BDIEDgv.jpg

Yep. In a frenzy of pique, I tore open amiibo after amiibo, even the artificially rare Sheik and Smash version of Toon Link. I'd had it. I'm done. Converted. A new man. And indeed, it feels as though a dark, obsessive cloud of misguided collector-mindset perfectionism has been purged from my consciousness.

I'm not sure whether to thank Nintendo or shake my fist in rage at them, but hey — I can scan the Zelda amiibo with ease now, and not look silly in the process. Anyway, I haven't seen it mentioned yet and thought it warranted bringing up. In short, amiibo scan at a much shorter distance on Switch than they do on either WiiU or 3DS. The carefully-remove-the-metallic-sticker "exploit" is dead.

Lock in a cardboard-backed cage of plastic if old.

ramparter

Banned
When it come to amiibo I couldn't care less about the packaging. Too much space needed and I don't even like looking at them inside their boxes.

StayDead

I still half rip them out by cutting alongside the edge of the plastic, but honestly I'm thinking of doing something similar, because the amiibo boxes take up so much space.

You did good, OP.

You don't want to be one of those mint condition clowns, especially since amiibo prices have (thankfully) plummeted to normal retail levels.

Honestly, at this point, there is no reason to keep Amiibo sealed anymore. The days of lining up for them are a thing of the past.

The only thing I kept in the box was the Mega Yarn Yoshi. Otherwise I only buy what I really want and open them up right away.

Aokage

Probably to conserve battery power?

That does make sense...

Fantastic OP lol

I know right? You can't blame me, it's 4AM and I'm a bit loopy (๑╹ω╹๑ )

OP, you should have just bought an N2 Elite to keep them packaged. Scan them once and then just use the N2 Elite chip :(

I... I wish I had known this was a thing.

Honestly, at this point, there is no reason to keep Amiibo sealed anymore. The days of lining up for them are a thing of the past.

It's true. I think it was the anomalously scarce Sheik and Smash Toon Link that were keeping me stuck in the past.

piflavoredpie

Neo Member
OP, you should have just bought an N2 Elite to keep them packaged. Scan them once and then just use the N2 Elite chip :(

Can you elaborate more on this? It seems like the development team for this doesn't really update their stuff that often, and I'm not sure where to buy it/which sellers are trustworthy.

Bazry

I used to have all mine sealed, then 1 day I bought Mario Party for my son and he asked if he could open a few to play with. It was at that point that I assessed my choices in life and asked myself what I was doing with 30 odd little figures in big plastic boxes doing absolutely nothing but taking up loads of space in the house, so I proceeded to open all of them and have felt much better about myself ever since

Shiggy

Can you elaborate more on this? It seems like the development team for this doesn't really update their stuff that often, and I'm not sure where to buy it/which sellers are trustworthy.

Yeah, development seems to have more or less ended, but they just announced a new update yesterday. But there's also a community that supports it.

With the device and the PC or phone software, you can scan your Amiibos and then put them onto the N2 Elite. Then you can simply choose within the software which Amiibo you want to use, scan the NFC tag, and use that instead of your real Amiibo.

For where to buy it - that depends on your country:
http://www.n2elite.com/Resellers/

Aokage

Finding a decent reseller is hard. :(

This, so much this. I've been trying to track one down and am failing hard.

Broke down last night.
It was tough man! I loved having them in box, but now I feel like I need to open all of them
😓

You're doing the right thing. The right thing, my friend. Last night I had a revelation: These chunks of plastic with 4K RAM are meant to be free!

Xander51

I'm proud of you OP. Good work. I used to care about stuff like this, but once you move on you never go back.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I remember when people were in uproar because Nintendo added method to prevent scanning while in the box and expected that Nintendo should cater to their weird demand.

Personally I open my amiibo and keep them in a 1-up amiibo case.

Aokage

I'm proud of you OP. Good work. I used to care about stuff like this, but once you move on you never go back.

Congratulations on no longer being a crazy person, OP.

hey, you can now hold and admire your amiibo from 360 degrees like intended.

I have seen the light. It's so freeing! I look at them as peripherals rather than precious totems now.

I remember when people were in uproar because Nintendo added method to prevent scanning while in the box and expected that Nintendo should cater to their weird demand.

...with that said, amiibo intersect at a strange place between functional game peripherals and collectibles. Toy fans keeping their figures "carded" is far from an unusual thing, so I still do wish Nintendo hadn't reduced the Switch's range for reading NFC. The elaborate "surgery" required to ever make them usable in the packaging would void any return policy anyway.

the horror man... i cant unsee this.

But oh so cathartic.

Thoraxes

Yeah I noticed it with my Shovel Knight amiibo. Was able to scan him through the box on Wii U. Not so much on Switch.

Dremorak

Banned
Its not a shorter range, theres just a freakin stick in the way now :p. try hovering the amiibo a stick's height above the wiiu and you'll get the same thing

Cuburt

The card of the amiibo is cool but otherwise there have to be better ways to store/display them if you plan to use them anyways.

Its not a shorter range, theres just a freakin stick in the way now :p. try hovering the amiibo a stick's height above the wiiu and you'll get the same thing

I was going to say this is most likely why, the NFC chip is below the stick not in the tip of it, OP may have had better luck using a pro controller to scan since that uses the front middle flat area.

BaconHat

Not sure if it's because of the reader having less range or because of the stick, but now i can't scan my boxed shovel knight amiibo, the only one i could once keep sealed and still scan.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I'm not sure what people's apprehensions about opening these things are.

They're mass produced, $10-17 figures. It's not like they're high-quality, collector's statues or anything.

AndrewPL

Having this dilemma at the moment. Told wife and she laughed and said I'd never do it.

Ordered an action replay amiibo thing so I don't have to open any....

Aokage

Why would you keep them on their box?

Scarcity, artificially manipulated or otherwise. The collector culture Nintendo cultivated during the first year of amiibo -- buy now or it's gone forever!

And now, just when you thought regular reissues had the problem largely taken care of, prices for underproduced figures compatible with BotW like Sheik and Smash Toon Link have skyrocketed to $50-100 on eBay. Even very recent figures like the 30th Anniversary Toon Link + Toon Zelda pack will run you $75, and anything else not readily available in stores rightthisminute with BotW functionality an easy $30.

So... it's fairly simple to justify. But at this point I'm only playing devil's advocate, as I have been set free!

I think it's definitely a shorter range. You can mash an amiibo box down on the relatively flat surface of the Pro Controller; no dice. See below re: Shovel Knight.

Not sure if it's because of the reader having less range or because of the stick, but now i can't scan my boxed shovel knight amiibo, the only one i could once keep sealed and still scan.

This particularly sucks, what with Yacht Club being rather magnanimous in leaving out the scan protection specifically for collectors. Wanna play Treasure Trove with your carded amiibo? Sorry!

Top Bottom