• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will 1998 ever be beaten as the best gaming year ever?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Seriously, these are just some of the games that came out in 1998:

Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo
Starcraft
Half-Life
Baldur's Gate
Grim Fandango
Final Fantasy Tactics
Thief
Unreal
Descent Freespace
SHOGO
Banjo Kazooie
Resident Evil 2
Parasite Eve
Dreamcast (Japan)

And the biggest release of 1998
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

GhaleonEB

ManaByte said:

Resident Evil 2
Starcraft
Half-Life
Baldur's Gate
Grim Fandango
Thief
Unreal
Descent Freespace
SHOGO
Banjo Kazooie
Parasite Eve
Dreamcast (Japan)

I'd say this year just kicked the shit out of it. *cues list*

jenov4

Granted 1998 was an amazing year, but you left out Metal Gear Solid from that list!

And wasn't this thread already done? :)

no game i've played since had matched OOT, but i feel there will be a better year soon.
this year has had some big releases. esp halo 2, HL2 and GTA SA, but appart from the counterstrike spect i don't like either of them, so it's been a pretty ordinary year 4 me.

Matlock

Banned
PSP (Japan)
Nintendo DS
Half-Life 2
Halo 2
Psi-Ops
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Wario Ware Twisted/Touched
World of Warcraft

2004 wins.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hournda said:
The real question should be "Can the present ever make up for the nostalgia of the past?"

It's not nostalgia. 1998 featured releases that either sparked new life in their genre or revolutionized their genre or gaming in general.

what the F? this year has been a lot better. lets take a quick look:

madden 2005 > madden 99
MGS 3 > MGS 1
Halo 2 > Goldeneye
GTA SA > Ocarina of time

i dont know what other shitty games came out in '98 but i guarantee 2004 has them beat. suck it down all you losers who were around in 1998! get with the times pops!

Hollywood

Banned
You forget to list the game I've probably played more than any other and set the standard for wrestling games: WCW/nWo Revenge. I played that game so damn much.

LukeSmith

FrenchMovieTheme said:
what the F? this year has been a lot better. lets take a quick look:

madden 2005 > madden 99
MGS 3 > MGS 1
Halo 2 > Goldeneye
Ninja Gaiden> Ocarina of time

i dont know what other shitty games came out in '98 but i guarantee 2004 has them beat. suck it down all you losers who were around in 1998! get with the times pops!

FIXED

FF Tactics and Gran Turismo were also in 1998.

Probably because I was more into games at that time,but I think 1998 was better and I also think that overall the PS1 did have a heck of alot better games than the PS2.

Matlock said:
I can attest to FMT's idea, as OoT was boring as hell.
lol, did you play the same game as me, comparing halo to zelda, or ninja gaiden pft. do you work for microsoft? Even if you don't like adventure games, halo doesn't match 4 player goldeneye.

Hournda

Games are probably higher quality now but at the time they were new, fresh and exciting and we're all just jaded with the current crop of releases. If you asked a gamer who didn't play those games and gave them games from this year and 1998 he/she'd probably say today's games are better. For example I think the original Prince of Persia (released in 1990 for the PC/mac) is better than the current Prince of Persias. Many people would disagree though. You just have to realize that nostalgia = bias. Not that that's bad but it will affect you when trying to make an "objective" analysis like whether today's games are better than those of 1998.

halo doesn't match 4 player goldeneye.

bullshit.jpg

I don't think 1998 will be beat unless the Japanese devs get back on their A-game.

Nintendo (Zelda: OoT), Capcom (Resident Evil 2), Namco (Tekken 3) were all at their peak that year, and the software/quality output for Squaresoft was ridiculous.

Hollywood

Banned
Yeah such a great year .. which I why I haven't had a console all year until I bought a PSTwo, and it's been played once and is sitting in a box now. I think 98 was a much better year., Revolutionary vs. More of the same.

Hournda said:
Games are probably higher quality now but at the time they were new, fresh and exciting and we're all just jaded with the current crop of releases. If you asked a gamer who didn't play those games and gave them games from this year and 1998 he/she'd probably say today's games are better. For example I think the original Prince of Persia (released in 1990 for the PC/mac) is better than the current Prince of Persias. Many people would disagree though. You just have to realize that nostalgia = bias. Not that that's bad but it will affect you when trying to make an "objective" analysis like whether today's games are better than those of 1998.
This is true, but its still not the same to say that newer graphics and better hardware makes games better. Games should be measured on fun and entertainment value, not hype, graphics and marketing campaigns.

Better hardware if use wisely can make games better.Take MGS1 and MGS3 for example.Although,I'll admit that even if MGS3 is a better game,at that time MGS1 had a bigger impact on me than MGS3 ever will.The game was fresh,new and amazing for the time.

Helena

Personally I thought 2003 edged out a win over 1998 and that 2004 blew chunks. But that's just me and my unusual tastes.

Grubdog

Banned
To me each year keeps getting better, the games from 1998 still exist and can still be played today, but you couldn't play Pikmin 2 back in 1998. :)

DaBuddaDa

The 1998 games, at their time, were more monumental and influential in gameplay and storytelling than any of the 2004 games have been.

I don't think 1998 can beat for that "wow" factor.

You have to remember no one had seen an adventure game on scope with Zelda: OoT. No one had ever played a racing sim like Gran Turismo before. No one had experienced anything like Metal Gear Solid. No one had ever seen a FPS like Half-Life before.

These were mind blowing experiences, completely unique from anything else.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
2004 = Year of Fucking Awesome Sequels

1998 = Year of Fucking Awesome New Games (plus a few awesome sequels)

For that reason alone, 1998 wins. Just.

AniHawk

ManaByte said:

Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo
Starcraft
Half-Life
Baldur's Gate
Grim Fandango
Final Fantasy Tactics
Thief
Unreal
Descent Freespace
SHOGO
Banjo Kazooie
Resident Evil 2
Parasite Eve
Dreamcast (Japan)

Pokemon
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force III
House of the Dead
Xenogears

Just a few more off the top of my head. 1998 beats 2004, but I think 2004 is going to be a good year to aspire to as well, a well earned 2nd place.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Didn't even realize some of those games in the original post came out in 1998. That being said, 1998 wins hands down.

1998 to gaming would be like Star Wars, The Godfather, E.T., and Lord of the Rings all coming out in the same year for movies.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like that never happens again, simply becuase of the momumental shift from 2D to 3D and how that all culiminated with all those developers hitting a peak in 1998.

Maybe when we shift to VR or something.

i duno about nostalgia factor... i mean, name other years in the nostalgia era that come close to 1998?

i don't think 1998 can be beat without some sort of miracle...

Metal Gear Solid - actually, since I have a high-powered gfx card now I could PS emulate it and output it to my tv. If it works, I'm inviting over all my friends who might be willing to play through the game over a two day period. The first time I played it I played for three days straight. I pre-ordered or something to get the t-shirt from EB, and it's for that reason that I met one of my best friends in college: Fred. Where is Fred now? I'd like to know, and I'd also hope he's not mad at me for him leaving his shades in my glove box--because a month later they were gone. Anyway, I digress. I met Fred on my community college when he and I were both wearing our MGS shirts. All I said was, "Dude. dude. Dude!" followed by some pointing to our t-shirts and then mass hanging-out after that. So, I met one of my best friends ever, the guy who taught me how to hunt, hide, and find people in Halflife/Q2 dm. I wish I knew where that guy was.
Gran Turismo Woah. Yes. Great, great, racing. I couldn't believe the illusion of reflection on the windshields and hoods.
Starcraft didn't play as much as others, but it has its merits.
Half-Life It's only one of my reasons for happiness in life. Kudos, Valve!
Baldur's Gate OMG, in reading the character class I had a moral crisis because for three days I decided that to be chaotic evil in real life has benefits. I'm glad I came to my senses. I just reminisced the other day about playing GB on my K6-2 333Hz 4x cd-rom laptop. During BG sessions later at night while I "worked" in the campus computer lab, my CD reader would spin sooo fast and soo hard that it'd vibrate my whole laptop. I had so much fun with BG. If you missed out, do yourself a favor and experience it.
Grim Fandango I never got far in it, but I enjoyed the stigma that others attached to the game. I think it's pretty revolutionary for then and current time.
Final Fantasy Tactics played. the. shit. out. of it.
Thief sneaky bastard. That's what I liked being, a sneaky bastard. Matt Smith really got me into it two years later. I like seeing others' excitement at such gameplay elements. It's really like being a kid again when gamers get together on this stuff.
Unreal OMG, you remember when someone reengineered Glide to run on Nvidia? That sorta caused a TOS agreement that no one would alter driver software. I met the guy who started 3Dfx and had to compliment him and shake his hand. I hope he's doing well.
Descent Freespace I didn't play. My friends did and called it Quake with flying craft.
SHOGO How did the guys in Washington come up with this? I dunno, but I loved it and still speak to its fame today.
Banjo Kazooie ...should be released for the DS.
Resident Evil 2 w.o.w., but i didn't get scarred when i could walk away from my enemies.
Parasite Eve I bought three copies for a dam good reason...because Square knows its business.
Dreamcast (Japan) I was sooooo stoked seeing VHS footage of Sonic at Fred's house because a buddy of his imported one.
Ocarina of Time There's a reason we had 11 people in a room watching and taking turns progressing through the game. Playing by myself was slow.
I was definitly bored playing through the game myself, so a few of us traded off playing through it. I mostly watched because I was bored, but on the whole our group of guys and gals were captivated by it. It’s far from being the perfect “party” game, but during parts when we needed to slug away and fight or whatever questing elements needed hack and slash action, one of us would do it, and the rest of us would just drink and smoke. Yes, I’m going to go as far as to say that OoT is my favorite party game of all time. We’d all watch the new Friends episode, maybe something else, and then stuck around for two to three hours of OoT.

1997 to 1999 were a couple of the happiest year of my life as far as my person life went and with gaming. GDC stopped doing the five road trips, so it's been Cali since, but I walked, talked, lived, and breathed the best of that time. 1998 stands out in gaming infamy, and I don't think we've had quite a quality-packed year since. IAW Manabyte

I've become more a jaded gamer (and I also have less time to play), so there's no chance of 1998 ever being passed. Although, the only games out of these I actually played back in 1998 were OOT, Starcraft and Banjo-Kazooie, but OOT is my favorite game of all-time, and Starcraft is my favorite PC game of all-time.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
generally 2004 is much stronger than 1998. most of the games mentioned in this thread were overrated then and have now aged terribly, e.g. mgs, ocarina of time, gran turismo, panzer saga, and half-life. but 1998 was really a landmark year for shmups, and maybe the last such year...it had r type delta, radiant silvergun, and the saturn port of the mighty BATTLE GAREGGA. among others i'm not thinking of. as an unregenerate shooter fanboy, i reluctantly choose 1998.

GhaleonEB

For me, part of what makes this year so great for games is the sheer scale of them. Games like GTA, Halo 2, KotOR 2...these are huge games. I've put a hundred hours into Halo 2 and I'm still just really getting into it. 1998 was a great year, and produced a number of my all time favorites (Panzer Dragoon Saga, for example), but some of the games of today are not only as good but have 5x the replay value.

I won't do the whole list, but just look at Halo 2. The single player campaign is one, thing, but then add in insanely customizable game types, Live and LAN play, maps coming down the pipe...this is a game people will play for years (like Halo).

Despite the increase in quantity I find myself actually buying fewer games, just because I get so much more out of my $50 now.

Top Bottom