• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So some people said '07 was gaming's best year... is '08 better?

SickBoy

I think it might be. I picked up a lot of games in Fall '07, but seems to me that '08 has been remarkably steady in terms of quality releases and fall (I think) looks just as good as last year.

Assuming everything comes out as planned and more or less meets expectations, where will 2008 stand?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Definitely has the potential to be. The first half of 08 is already better than last year's first half. DMC, GTA, MGS, NG, etc. A lot of high quality games already this year.

from the perspective of a PS3 owner 2008 was far superior. we only had Uncharted and Ratchet in 2007, but in 08 we got GT5p and MGS4 as exclusives.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
solid2snake said:
from the perspective of a PS3 owner 2008 was far superior. we only had Uncharted and Ratchet in 2007, but in 08 we got GT5p and MGS4 as exclusives.

This.

Looking at the money I spent last year on gaming and looking at the money I spent this year on gaming... 2007 was a better year for me.

DuckRacer

We won't know until next year.

Some supposedly 2008 games will be delayed to 2009. Others will not be as good as anticipated. Just like 2007!

DiddyBop

all depends on what type of games you like.

edit: unless "best" means that this yr's crop of games avg metacritic score will be higher than last yrs.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
even for an aging system like the ps2, 2008 is still a good year if you only have a ps2 and no next gen consoles.

Sydle

Crisis Core, Lost Odyssey, God of War Chains of Olympus, Banjo, Fable 2, Infinite Undiscovery, and Viva Pinata...oh yes. 2008 wins.

Yes, if you count the fact that people still play Halo, CoD4, and Rock Band religiously in 2008.

If you just mean games released each year, then hell no.

Pachinko

2007 was a great year for mario galaxy alone but 2008 is a great year for ninja gaiden 2, geometry wars 2 , GTA4 and MGS4.

If I had to find reason to piss and moan I'd say 2005 and 2006 were kind of poor years in gaming but it should be good until the next round of consoles is out.

AmMortal

Banned
08' was the best year, a better and more variety of games released and will be released in the coming months. Compared to last year, where shooters were 99% of games. I think it's got to do with the PS3 finally getting some good games. The 360 launched first, and set a standard of which games would sell, and with the Xbox that's usually shooters.Looks like dev's are finally starting to come around and be more innovative.The sheer uniqueness of MGS4 made up for all the generic shooters of the past year for me personally :)

starblade

Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, Soul Calibur 4, Grand Turismo Prologue, Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, The World Ends with you...quite frankly, I think this year has already exceeded 2007 as a touchstone year for gaming.

If the tentative schedule of releases holds up, I think it'll (arguably) remembered as the most consistent year of gaming, as I think the infamous "summer drought of games" has been nonexistent.

Big releases this year of new IPs such as Little Big Planet and Too Human; strong returning franchises such as Resistance 2, Fallout 3, and Gears of War 2; a very steady crop of niche games such as Disgaea 3, Persona 4, and Ar Tonelico 2; and a robust lineup of downloadable games garnering an unusual amount of attention has catalpulted 2008 as a hallmark year (2007 be damned).

JesusTom

Personally, I prefer 2007 for gaming. Bought GTA4 and wasn't impressed, im not a big fan of MGS either, so MGS4 wasn't an almighty event for me on release. Of course gears of war 2 is coming but until that, 2008 just cant live up to 2007 for me, plus we had Mass Effect and Bioshock. Saying that, Lost Odyssey was fucking epic.

starblade said:
Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, Soul Calibur 4, Grand Turismo Prologue, Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, The World Ends with you...quite frankly, I think this year has already exceeded 2007 as a touchstone year for gaming.

Resistance 2, Fallout 3, and Gears of War 2; a very steady crop of niche games such as Disgaea 3, Persona 4, and Ar Tonelico 2; and a robust lineup of downloadable games garnering an unusual amount of attention has catalpulted 2008 as a hallmark year (2007 be damned).

One original title in your post, keep trying.

permutated said:
One original title in your post, keep trying.

So? Since when have sequels been a bad thing. The majority of the time sequels are actually the best games since companies are willing to risk a lot more to make sure that they turn out right.

1998 still easily holds the crown for me, but this year is going to be good stuff.

I still don't know if it'll beat last year, though--Portal, Super Mario Galaxy, BioShock, Rock Band, Crysis, and more were hugely memorable for me in ways that GTA4, MGS4, Brawl, etc. haven't been quite yet. Obviously though last year's standouts came later on, so I can't speak too soon.

Zophar

GhaleonQ said:
How anyone could even consider either among the top 5 is baffling.
I don't think anyone's insinuating that, though there *was* a lot of people claiming 07 as the best year ever (which I disagree with whole-heartedly).

Years like 1994, 1998, 2001, and 2004 are in a league of their own. We're still waiting for our watershed year for this generation IMO. I think 09 has a chance to be it.

AmMortal said:
The most anticipated games are sequels :lol

MGS4, GTAIV, Geow2, Resistance 2, KillZone 2, Motorstorm 2, etc.

And that's very, very, very sad.

I'd like to actually see some new, original titles this year, you know: like 2007 had in spades.

AmMortal said:
The most anticipated games are sequels :lol

MGS4, GTAIV, Geow2, Resistance 2, KillZone 2, Motorstorm 2, etc.

For me, the two games I'm looking forward to the most on PS3 this year is Afrika and Little Big Planet... two new original IP's.

Top Bottom