• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Controller PRO for Wii

creamsugar

classic_pro_photo.jpg

classic_pro_name.gif

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/controllers/index.html#classic_pro
2009 summer

All same with classic controller except the shape, no wireless, no rumble.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So is the original controller the retard classic controller now?

Pro controller seems kinda pointless. What games would benefit from it? Seems like Nintendo just wants another stream of revenue

Aeana

Suburban Cowboy said:
Hate the positioning of the left stick.
Considering that the games it's intended for are mostly 2D, and would be played with the dpad, I'd say the positioning is good. It is for me, at least.

Wario64 said:
So is the original controller the retard classic controller now?

Pro controller seems kinda pointless. What games would benefit from it? Seems like Nintendo just wants another stream of revenue

If it works with the gamecube, then there would be benefits.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Companion Cube said:
You guys are overlooking the revised shoulder button placement.

I did at first because I thought it was a shell (seriously this controller is pathetic), but even still what games use the Z button? (N64 games use L if I remember.)

kassatsu

Banned
Andrex said:
I did at first because I thought it was a shell (seriously this controller is pathetic), but even still what games use the Z button? (N64 games use L if I remember.)
It changes from game to game. Most the time the N64 Z is mapped to L or R.

Jammy

Banned
The Classic Controller works just fine right now, and exceptionally well with 2D games as it is on the Virtual Console. I kind of like the old, flat SNES-esque shape as it is, and not many games I know use the Zl and Zr buttons.

mutsu

Companion Cube said:
You guys are overlooking the revised shoulder button placement.

Most of us know about the placement change. But what's the point? Hardly any game uses ZL and ZR.

Unless there's some unannounced new console for the VC that requires those shoulder buttons.

PlayStation 1 games on VC!?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What's pathetic is Nyko added grips a while ago, AND made the controller wireless (well, dongle to the Wii Remote, but that's because of the way things have to be.)

WiiWing.jpg

Still waiting for 2D gaming heaven, NoA...

pa.112911.2.jpg

+ Purple Buttons

I'm so baffled by the fact that this isn't wireless. The Wavebird was one of the best controllers ever. What possible reason could Nintendo have for not making this the wireless replacement (and, as someone pointed out, switching the location of the d-pad and left stick)?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I really wish they'd move the left stick already. Moving the d-pad down wouldn't bug me but having the stick there is just awful.

Eteric Rice

somuchwater said:
I'm so baffled by the fact that this isn't wireless. The Wavebird was one of the best controllers ever. What possible reason could Nintendo have for not making this the wireless replacement (and, as someone pointed out, switching the location of the d-pad and left stick)?

So you would have to buy a Wii-mote for every classic controller you have.

Basically, assholery on their part.

Ysiadmihi said:
I really wish they'd move the left stick already. Moving the d-pad down wouldn't bug me but having the stick there is just awful.

The victory of the Playstation controller's (poor) design is truly a tragic thing. :(

Aeana

A Black Falcon said:
The victory of the Playstation controller's (poor) design is truly a tragic thing. :(

I just don't understand this at all. The classic controller is for VC games. The vast majority of VC games are 2D. The dpad is perfectly placed for 2D gaming.

somuchwater said:

This is cheeper to make. Guess what; you ain't getting that saving.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Aeana said:
I just don't understand this at all. The classic controller is for VC games. The vast majority of VC games are 2D. The dpad is perfectly placed for 2D gaming.

I think the problem here is that most people don't mind having the d-pad a little further to right. The stick is a little harder to manipulate, and on the rare occasion you need it for something, it sucks.

F-Zero X is unplayable (to me) with the CC. Gotta use the Wavebird instead.

Nicko

I think this is a move by Nintendo to ready for the huge number of people buying Wii's for Monster Hunter 3, which will use the CC as the primary control method.

Aeana

Ysiadmihi said:
I think the problem here is that most people don't mind having the d-pad a little further to right. The stick is a little harder to manipulate, and on the rare occasion you need it for something, it sucks.

Well, I guess I can understand it, even though it doesn't apply to me. In my experience, one has to reach the thumb further right when trying to press 'right' on a dpad placed inside than when using a stick in that position (due to the ability to keep your thumb on the inner-edge of the stick the whole time). Because of this, I actually had to play Braid with the analog stick on 360 because trying to go for 'right' on the 360 pad's dpad caused my hand to cramp up so severely.

I'm also apparently the only person who doesn't think the GC's dpad is too small, though, and I think if it were bigger, I'd have a similar problem with it. I do have pretty small hands, though. That said, there's nothing wrong with offering a choice...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm not sure I get the real reason to switch from the CC to the CC "Pro"... the Z2 buttons are moved and you get silly little wings, I guess.

I'd rather have the joystick moved somewhere more useable and have rumble support for N64 games.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Odd, I guess Nintendo has abandoned the concept of having the Classic Controller snap into anything, since the little release button doesn't seem to be there anymore. Wonder if this means the original will get clearanced out or will be sold side by side.

And are we sure there is no rumble? Does one of the lines translate into "No Rumble" or do the other items have rumble mentioned?

Then again, having its number as RVL-005(-02) does make me doubtful on that. Well, I'll most likely pick up one if its $20 or less.

Tenbatsu

Ysiadmihi said:
The cord seems to be coming evenly out of the top in between the CC and "shell", so it's probably all one piece.
Yeah you are right, its one piece. Still cant figure out whats the use of that locking mechanism behind the classic controller.

Aeana said:

Then why does it still have only four face buttons, when six are necessary to enjoy most N64 and many Genesis games?

As for analog/dpad position, while the upper one definitely is always the easier one to use, I do agree with the person I was replying to that analog sticks are just better in the upper position, and d-pads in the lower. Good gamepads with both analog sticks and dpads do it that way -- Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube... even better (in my opinion) is the N64's solution of having each on a separate part of the controller, but no one else wants to do that, so oh well. Analog above dpad is the best alternative.

You are right that it would matter a bit more for a controller where you're using the analog stick a lot, but even so, it does matter... even if the face buttons problem is definitely the bigger one, for sure. When I said I was unhappy about the victory of the Playstation design, I meant all of those things I don't like in controller design -- dpad above analog, four face buttons, four triggers... probably should have said that. Oh well.

Ysiadmihi said:

Agreed, the position difference matters more for the analog stick than the dpad.

I'd likely rather play a dpad-required game on the GC controller than the PSX (1/2/3) one... neither is ideal of course (the NES, SNES, and N64 would all be better, just for Nintendo's stuff), and the GC would have been better with a slightly larger d-pad, but that's better than the bad analog stick position of the PSX design, and that annoying missing-center dpad...

Aeana said:
I'm also apparently the only person who doesn't think the GC's dpad is too small, though, and I think if it were bigger, I'd have a similar problem with it. I do have pretty small hands, though. That said, there's nothing wrong with offering a choice...

Here I agree, at least. Capcom vs SNK 2 EO is one of my most-played GC games, and I played it all on the d-pad... never had a problem with it. It's small, but works well, and is exactly the same size as the GBC and GBA dpads, which I also thought were just fine, even if they were a bit smaller than the original GB dpad.

Oh, and the continued lack of rumble is also too bad, it should have it.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
They should have swapped the left stick with the dpad for the pro version. That's the #1 reason to get another version of the classic controller. The old one is fine for 2D games.

Top Bottom