• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Come on, guys. The Last Ranger is clearly Retro's new title.

Clearly.

HylianTom

Banned
Well, Rangers can also be wood elf bowmen. :D

Yeah.. but from the artwork I get more of a "pee in the radiator" vibe as opposed to a "merry men of the forest" vibe.

But I wouldn't be opposed to either one.
(and yes.. I always play as a Bosmer. Great sneaks!)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna be living in Tokyo from September, so I'll be in the line of otaku in Akihabara :D Just got to convince my girlfriend to join me...
How nice. I recommend Sofmap first, they've got good prices and stock not only games but a huge array of electronics. There's also AsoBitCity, but it's not as fun as it used to be when it wasn't part of Laox.

Rösti;36059457 said:
How nice. I recommend Sofmap first, they've got good prices and stock not only games but a huge array of electronics. There's also AsoBitCity, but it's not as fun as it used to be when it wasn't part of Laox.
Thank you! I previously lived in Kyoto which had one branch of Bic Camera and that was pretty much it...

rhoq

Got on the second wave of pre-orders with Toys R Us. That was ok. Was on the preorder wave at GameStop when the Gamecube came out.

May try Amazon this time, depending.

So exciting to open that box for the first time...

It might be nice to not have to chase a second controller though, since I will have all of my Wii accessories (another game in the launch budget?).

Nintendo likes to launch new consoles on Sundays. If you go with Amazon, I'm guessing you won't have your Wii U until the day after launch, at the earliest. It's rare that they will ship something to arrive before it's release date.

guek

Banned
Heh. A couple people saying in the bloomberg thread that they're more interested in Wii U now if no xbox successor is shown this year. HOW BOUT DAT SHIT?

Seriously, Wii U has the potential to steal a ton of mindshare this holiday.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Some news, MoSys' 1T-SRAM (or other technologies from that company) will not be represented in the Wii U:

Our royalty revenue also has been highly concentrated among a few licensees, and we expect this trend to continue for the foreseeable future. In particular, a substantial portion of our licensing and royalty revenue in 2011, 2010 and 2009 has come from the license fees and royalties for integrated circuits supplied by one integrated device manufacturer, or IDM, for Nintendo® gaming devices that incorporate our 1T-SRAM technology. Royalties earned from this customer represented 16%, 22% and 39% of total revenue in 2011, 2010 and 2009, respectively. This manufacturer faces intense competitive pressure in the video game market, which is characterized by extreme volatility, costly new product introductions and rapidly shifting consumer preferences, and we cannot be certain whether their sales of products incorporating our technology will increase or decrease beyond prior or current levels. In addition, Nintendo is expected to introduce a new gaming system in 2012, which does not incorporate our technology, and will likely cause a reduction in royalties we receive related to the existing gaming devices.
Source: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/890394/000104746912002721/a2207956z10-k.htm

Now, the 1T-SRAM technology licensing has changed, as I wrote here, as Invensas purchased a greater number of patents from MoSys in 2011. This may have lead to Nintendo ditching this technology. What it means for backwards compatibility, seeing as Wii incorporates the 1T-SRAM technology, I don't know. However, the secrets are starting to unfold. Now, I wonder what company Nintendo has chosen for RAM solutions.

Oddduck

Rösti;36063932 said:
Some news, MoSys' 1T-SRAM (or other technologies from that company) will not be represented in the Wii U:

Source: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/890394/000104746912002721/a2207956z10-k.htm

Now, the 1T-SRAM technology licensing has changed, as I wrote here, as Invensas purchased a greater number of patents from MoSys in 2011. This may have lead to Nintendo ditching this technology. What it means for backwards compatibility, seeing as Wii incorporates the 1T-SRAM technology, I don't know. However, the secrets are starting to unfold. Now, I wonder what company Nintendo has chosen for RAM solutions.

Hmmm this could get interesting.

klier

Rösti;36063932 said:

Some real news in this thread? Say it aint so!

Oddduck

Hmm, hasn't it been stated that they are planning complete backwards compatibility?

Yes, but I just realized something sneaky Nintendo could pull.

Nintendo could pull a Vita and make people have to re-buy their Wii games by digitally downloading them. Iwata did say people would be able to digitally download retail games on Wii U.

The same way Xbox 360 did it too with that Xbox 1 classics section on Xbox Live Arcade.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rösti;36063932 said:
What it means for backwards compatibility, seeing as Wii incorporates the 1T-SRAM technology, I don't know. However, the secrets are starting to unfold. Now, I wonder what company Nintendo has chosen for RAM solutions.
It likely means that the CPU has a low-latency path to the edram pool.

guek

Banned
Yes, but I just realized something sneaky Nintendo could pull.

Nintendo could pull a Vita and make people have to re-buy their Wii games by digitally downloading them. Iwata did say people would be able to digitally download retail games on Wii U.

The same way Xbox 360 did it too with that Xbox 1 classics section on Xbox Live Arcade.

Eh. Doesn't seem likely. Nintendo like to resell old games, sure, but they also love backwards compatibility.

Oddduck

Eh. Doesn't seem likely. Nintendo like to resell old games, sure, but they also love backwards compatibility.

Oh yeah I agree with you. I'm just saying if Nintendo did radically change some of the tech in the Wii U to a point where Wii backwards compatibility is no longer possible, this could be the route they could go for.

Been prying myself away from this thread in order to do some actual gaming. I finally broke down and started Batman: AC, which I got on sale for 360 over the weekend. Right now, it's looking like Assassin's Creed 3 and Ninja Gaiden 3 are gonna be Wii U 3rd party pickups for me. Perhaps Darksiders 2 as well, depending on how much I enjoy the first, which is in my PS3 backlog atm.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rösti;36063932 said:

Wow--some real news. Nice.

Any techies in here know how this would affect BC?

maeda

I have no idea what studio of theirs would be best suited for such a title. Course they could always outsource.
I hope it's outsourced. The shooting in MP series was by far series' weakest point. Plus I want a Retro game with heavy emphasis on exploration and adventure.
Nonetheless, I'm happy that now Nintendo got covered TPS(KI) and possibly FPS(tLR) genres. They need to enrich their portfolio of IPs in terms of genre variety.

Sadist

I purchased the PC version of Darksiders and I just forgot about it. I like the little Zelda nods (first weapon pick-up, a little tune plays while picking up a weapon/item/area unlock etc.) but I don't know... everytime I start it up again I stop playing. Got about eight hours in the game.

I purchased the PC version of Darksiders and I just forgot about it. I like the little Zelda nods (first weapon pick-up, a little tune plays while picking up a weapon/item/area unlock etc.) but I don't know... everytime I start it up again I stop playing. Got about eight hours in the game.

Same here. Every time I play, I enjoy it at first, but then it just loses all appeal. Probably because of the button mashing combat.

wsippel

Banned
Wild speculation: Memory is three tiered:

MEM1: 32MB IBM/ Qimonda eDRAM (fast scratchpad and/or framebuffer, 1T-SRAM replacement)
MEM2: 1.5GB DDR3 (main RAM)
ARAM: 4GB Flash, 130/60 interface or faster (cache)

methodman

Banned
So with rumors that Xbox 720 isn't going to show up at this e3, it's Nintendo's show pretty much. They better come out with guns blazing

So if the current rumor about the next xbox are true, I wonder if Nintendo will be able to take advantage of a potential full year before competition arrives.

They'll need some exclusives outside of their own stuff.

Hiltz

So with rumors that Xbox 720 isn't going to show up at this e3, it's Nintendo's show pretty much. They better come out with guns blazing

Like in E3 2011, the ball was in Nintendo's court, but it didn't exactly live up to expectations with its fairly underwhelming conceptual unveiling. Still, there were some good surprises to be had. Hopefully, Nintendo will be ready to kick ass and take names next time.

It definitely shouldn't be underwhelming.
They'll have plenty to show, even if it won't be stuff for launch.

As for confusing or pissing people off.
Well, this is GAF. Those two will happen regardless.

Sadist

With all the criticism Nintendo received for the confusing nature of their presentation, they need to put on a good show this year. Reggie and Iwata need to take it slow. Last year the both of them were far to rushed.

BY2K

Membero Americo
With all the criticism Nintendo received for the confusing nature of their presentation, they need to put on a good show this year. Reggie and Iwata need to take it slow. Last year the both of them were far to rushed.

I'd really like it if the conference this year was 2 hours long.

I'd really like it if the conference this year was 2 hours long.

We say this every year, and it never is.
Regardless of hardware reveals or tons of games.
Nintendo will keep it to less than 90 minutes, like always.

Which is fine, really.
They don't need long on stage demonstrations. That's for the show floor.
They need clip reels, announcements, explanations and some good old fashioned hype up videos.

Sadist

Would be nice, but Nintendo's shows aren't very long are they? I always understood that's because they don't want to delay the press from going towards the showfloor? The showfloor always opens an hour or so later after the Nintendo keynote right?

I posted this in the other thread but I'll do it here.

With the news that the 720 will not be announced at this e3 or shown in any form, who was it that put the Unreal Engine 4 under NDA then? Could it really have been nintendo?

Would be nice, but Nintendo's shows aren't very long are they? I always understood that's because they don't want to delay the press from going towards the showfloor? The showfloor always opens an hour or so later after the Nintendo keynote right?

There's a few reasons they keep it short.
1. Money. They are renting the fucking Kodak Hall. That is not cheap.
2. Very few people in the press want to sit and scribble for 2 hours.
3. Because they can say what they want in a short amount of time. There's no reason to go overboard on the details. Again, that's what the Show Floor is for.

I posted this in the other thread but I'll do it here.

With the news that the 720 will not be announced at this e3 or shown in any form, who was it that put the Unreal Engine 4 under NDA then? Could it really have been nintendo?

NVIDIA, since it was shown on an unreleased product.

Like in E3 2011, the ball was in Nintendo's court, but it didn't exactly live up to expectations with its fairly underwhelming conceptual unveiling. Still, there were some good surprises to be had. Hopefully, Nintendo will be ready to kick ass and take names next time.

Well it's not like they threw an underwhelming show on purpose. They literally had nothing to show. This E3 should be different because we know devs had been working on software for a while and Nintendo should have more finalized details as the system is launching this year

Hiltz

If I'm not mistaken, Nintendo said that it will also be holding a separate press event at Japan after its E3 conference. It will likely just be a repeat of what we know, but there's always the possibility of getting some extra new information/ announcements.

Sadist

Do people honestly believe the product manager of Xbox? Showing of the neXtbox will happen at E3. They're not announcing it because they want to sell some 360 units in the next few months.

There's a few reasons they keep it short.
1. Money. They are renting the fucking Kodak Hall. That is not cheap.
Derp forgot about that obvious fact

Top Bottom