• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

and thats what I'm asking myself too?!
If the Wii tech is used in Wii U, can it help to improve the performance?
If the Wii GPU will be used for streaming only, then the Wii U GPU could be free to do all the great stuff on big screen.
That imo would make Wii U to a real beast

Well, from what I gather Wii's hardware is not be able to output at UTablet resolution - that's sub-HD but anyway higher than Wii - but I'm admittedly not much tech-savvy so I could be wrong in this.

HylianTom

Banned
I suspect that GAF's servers are going to be tested during this E3. Will the OT be shut-down? Will we lose our avatars?

Having a backup chat spot pre-arranged might be a bright idea..

effzee

Yep. To counteract people from jumping on the Xbox Fusion bandwagon, Nintendo is going to have a strong E3 presentation with multiplats like these secured. A lot of naysayers will be shut up by this.

If Nintendo can't present the Wii U with this kind of strong support both from the East and West as a first impression, next gen isn't going to be as easy as some other optimistists seem to think.

Agreed. My concern is how they are going to divide the time. Since we have next to nothing confirmed or revealed, they are going to have to dedicate the entire press conference to the system, the launch, the controller, the price, the online network, the special features that we may not know about, the first party games, AND the major 3rd party games. If they can fit all that into the press conference and do it well the hype will be out of this world.

If they somehow fail to impress even with so much to show and talk about, they will have failed in a major way.

HylianTom

Banned
Agreed. My concern is how they are going to divide the time. Since we have next to nothing confirmed or revealed, they are going to have to dedicate the entire press conference to the system, the launch, the controller, the price, the online network, the special features that we may not know about, the first party games, AND the major 3rd party games. If they can fit all that into the press conference and do it well the hype will be out of this world.

If they somehow fail to impress even with so much to show and talk about, they will have failed in a major way.

That's the big risk with this gambit: by withholding so much information for so long, the payoff had better be damn good. They've had plenty of time to prepare, they've clearly shifted development resources from the Wii to the new machine, and they apparently have a number of third-party titles on the queue.. so we have good reason to believe that they understand this. And from their last console introduction, we know their potential for a fantastic presentation is sky-high.

The eyes of the whole gaming world will be on them for those 75-to-90 minutes. They'd better friggin' nail this.

HYPE!

nickcv

That's the big risk with this gambit: by withholding so much information for so long, the payoff had better be damn good. They've had plenty of time to prepare, they've clearly shifted development resources from the Wii to the new machine, and they apparently have a number of third-party titles on the queue.. so we have good reason to believe that they understand this. And from their last console introduction, we know their potential for a fantastic presentation is sky-high.

The eyes of the whole gaming world will be on them for those 75-to-90 minutes. They'd better friggin' nail this.

HYPE!

can they have a conference longer then 90 minutes or "E3 Rules" are against that?

HylianTom

Banned
can they have a conference longer then 90 minutes or "E3 Rules" are against that?

I don't think that there are any rules regarding this. Technically, the conference is something outside of E3 (I'm pretty sure). But they also don't want it to drag-on for too long.

effzee

HYPE!

I don't even think they handled the presentation of the Wii properly. Maybe for the mainstream media but for gamers, at least for me, the presentation was lacking. Yeah the Wii was exciting as hell and of course I bought it day 1, but the actual reveal I felt was lackluster. I bought into the "when you see the graphics you will say wow" hype and expected a tighter blow your mind press conference. A lot of that had to do with the lack of 3rd party support and the odd decision to not highlight Mario Galaxy.

Nintendo can't and better not waste half the conference talking about sales and the 3DS. I know the 3DS is important, but since they have shown nothing for the WiiU they must spend as much time as possible on it. I want to be blown away by major 3rd and 1st party games. Explain and demo the games, the online structure, and wow me with things I don't know about yet (about the console itself).

effzee

I think all that I mentioned, and others also expect, can be easily covered in 90 minutes. That is if they start from the first minute with the WiiU up til the last minute. No gimmicks, attempts at humor, or talks about the industry in general. Just get to it, stick with it, and pack all 90 minutes with actual reveals and games.

BY2K

Membero Americo
kzukzu.jpg

My Link is Reggie.

or

My Reggie is Link.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The ESA and IDG World Expo have nothing to do with the media briefings of Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony, as these briefings are almost always held off-site. So Nintendo can theoretically have a five hour briefing if they want, as long as the lessor for the venue the event takes place in accepts that.

Nintendo's media briefing at E3 2011 took place in the Nokia Theatre. In 2005 and 2006, the years of Nintendo Revolution/Wii, the media briefing was held at the Kodak Theatre (now named Hollywood and Highland Center), venue for the Academy Awards. While date and venue for Nintendo's briefing at E3 this year are yet to be announced, I think they will choose Nokia Theatre again. Nothing scheduled for June coincides with E3, only thing is Sesame Street Live: ELMO Makes Music on the 8th of June, but then E3 has concluded.

nickcv

I think all that I mentioned, and others also expect, can be easily covered in 90 minutes. That is if they start from the first minute with the WiiU up til the last minute. No gimmicks, attempts at humor, or talks about the industry in general. Just get to it, stick with it, and pack all 90 minutes with actual reveals and games.

yeah, i think they could pull it off, if they really won't say even a word about the 3DS, which i find really unlikely.

HylianTom

Banned
I don't even think they handled the presentation of the Wii properly. Maybe for the mainstream media but for gamers, at least for me, the presentation was lacking. Yeah the Wii was exciting as hell and of course I bought it day 1, but the actual reveal I felt was lackluster. I bought into the "when you see the graphics you will say wow" hype and expected a tighter blow your mind press conference. A lot of that had to do with the lack of 3rd party support and the odd decision to not highlight Mario Galaxy.

Nintendo can't and better not waste half the conference talking about sales and the 3DS. I know the 3DS is important, but since they have shown nothing for the WiiU they must spend as much time as possible on it. I want to be blown away by major 3rd and 1st party games. Explain and demo the games, the online structure, and wow me with things I don't know about yet (about the console itself).

I'm hoping that they stay true to their word about a renewed focus on core gamers this time around. Balance would be the weak point of that year. But for theatrics and buzz.. they received stellar marks.

About 15, maybe 20 minutes on 3DS would be wonderful. Then, it's all Wii U.

(And if Microsoft and Sony want to devote lots of time to Kinect and Move, I hope that people pick-up on that contrast. It'd be a huge favor.)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
How the HELL did Nintendo/Sora get all those big name composers for just ONE game (Kid Icarus)!?

Dat production value!

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/akdj/music/music05.html

Click the different tabs at the upper window, you'll browse through some parts of the soundtrack, it's good (well, some are gypsy rather than greek-bouzouki-inspired, weird), i hope they will follow the same ambitious route for Wii U AAAAA (pun intended) titles.

test_account

XP-39C²
Right, I'm sure it will be most of their AAA games that will be able to work on the controller, since they advertised that as a big feature I think they will make it so Super Mario games and other popular games work on the screen.
I think this is likely indeed.

i do not agree, i think all games will support it, just because of wiimotes.

i think you'll just have to provide two possible GUI/Screens
one with the secondary screen on the padlet and the other one with the secondary screen that actually appears on your tv after pushing the start button (or whatever other button).

The devs will just use some system hook/api and the system itself will decide which one to use based on your current controllers setup.

and if you are playing with your wiimote every single touch screen based interaction will be done using pointers controlls
Games like the baseball stuff is impossible to do via streaming since it relies on interaction between two screens at the same time (kinda like you're looking through a window with the controller and looking at the TV). If the controller screen is used for something more simple, like an inventory screen for example, then it is easy to do streaming yeah. Then you can simply just map the 2nd screen to a button, or maybe even something simple as a swipe motion over the screen, kinda like how you flick between the different pages on a cellphone.

Aw bloody hell, can everyone stop posting in this thread for a bit please..? Every time I go anywhere near it there's another 20-30 pages added lol. This has to be the most prolific (and mentally deranged!) thread in the entire history of the internet!!!

Jackano

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/akdj/music/music05.html

Click the different tabs at the upper window, you'll browse through some parts of the soundtrack, it's good (well, some are gypsy rather than greek-bouzouki-inspired, weird), i hope they will follow the same ambitious route for Wii U AAAAA (pun intended) titles.

Why are we talking about Kiddy here?
Anyway, Sakurai is a music fanboy. I'm still a little surprised he managed to do the same thing with KI as for Brawl (getting several outside composers).
There is now no doubt the Brawl formula will be replicated again with Smash U/3DS. There was 300 tracks from 30 composers in Brawl, obviously doing even more will be hard, except if the 3DS content is entierely different from the Wii U game.

nickcv

I think this is likely indeed.

Games like the baseball stuff is impossible to do via streaming since it relies on interaction between two screens at the same time (kinda like you're looking through a window with the controller and looking at the TV). If the controller screen is used for something more simple, like an inventory screen for example, then it is easy to do streaming yeah. Then you can simply just map the 2nd screen to a button, or maybe even something simple as a swipe motion over the screen, kinda like how you flick between the different pages on a cellphone.

i agree with that, my point is that i think the Wii U will have some hooks or api the devs will rely on to implement that staff without a lot of work needed... but sure, if you want to force the users to just use the upad i think they'd have the freedom to make that choice.

I'd love to be able to play some Wii games on the uPad. And VC titles. This is going to be a bigger deal than many think.. having to fight for the TV sucks.

This would be extremely cool, if for no other reason than gaming while you watch something casually.

I mean, I already mess around on my iPad if I'm only somewhat interested in what's on TV (you can always pause if you here something important, right?), but if I could be playing Mario Power Tennis or Double Dash instead? Yeah, I could get into that.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Why are we talking about Kiddy here?
Anyway, Sakurai is a music fanboy. I'm still a little surprised he managed to do the same thing with KI as for Brawl (getting several outside composers).
There is now no doubt the Brawl formula will be replicated again with Smash U/3DS. There was 300 tracks from 30 composers in Brawl, obviously doing even more will be hard, except if the 3DS content is entierely different from the Wii U game.

It's interesting to guess what will be the state of music and fx sounds on Wii U, especially for Big N franchises. They can go further than on the Wii.

Edit: oh and as i said, i never seen such ambitions and marketing efforts for an handled game, so i bet that a non-negligeable part of what we'll see on Wii U will be on balance, will depend on KI success. For example, the perspective of reviving an old IP in a glorious way (a retail game with long development) for the next home system will certainly take a hit if KI don't meet the minimum sales expectations.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It's interesting to guess what will be the state of music and fx sounds on Wii U, especially for Big N franchises. They can go further than on the Wii.
Are you talking about the relation between audio production and supported technologies here? If so, Nintendo did announce the console has support for six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI. This is to compare with Dolby Pro Logic II which features five full-range audio channels. Now, for backwards compatibility with Wii games I assume both of these are supported, but I wonder if something else like Dolby 3D, Dolby Surround 7.1, Dolby TrueHD or maybe even THX will be supported. Not that they need these things, but it would add more choices for developers. A rich and stable soundfield is more important than many people think, and I believe this is something that could play a big part in development of games (at least at Nintendo).

test_account

XP-39C²
i agree with that, my point is that i think the Wii U will have some hooks or api the devs will rely on to implement that staff without a lot of work needed... but sure, if you want to force the users to just use the upad i think they'd have the freedom to make that choice.
That is true :) I wonder how most developers will use the controller screen, if it will be more about an inventory screen or if it will be some more interaction between the TV and the controller.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
A new Transformers announced for Wii & 3DS. Maybe we can expect a Wii U version ?

From the Activision & Hasbro press release (and NO, i'm sorry, Transformers isn't just for kids, i'm talking to you, yes you, behind your screen, the one that wrote that PR thingy !! ><):

Santa Monica, CA &#8211; March 15, 2012- Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq:ATVI), is bringing the ultimate TRANSFORMERS video game experience to kids of all ages with the TRANSFORMERS PRIME video game. Based on the hit animated television show produced by Hasbro Studios and currently airing on The Hub television network in the U.S., the game lets fans play as their favorite AUTOBOT characters and embark on an action-packed adventure to save the earth from the evil MEGATRON and his new secret weapon. Players step into the roles of OPTIMUS PRIME, BUMBLEBEE, ARCEE, AUTOBOT RATCHET, BULKHEAD and more as they explore unique vistas all around the world with brawler-style combat and diverse driving sequences. Along the way, gamers cultivate friendships with Jack, Miko and Raf &#8211; the human characters from the show &#8211; as Team Prime sets out to protect mankind and eliminate the DECEPTICONS once and for all.

&#8220;Hasbro Studios has done a phenomenal job with the TRANSFORMERS PRIME television show,&#8221; said David Oxford, Executive Vice President at Activision Publishing. &#8220;We are collaborating closely with the series creators to capture all the adventure, humor and friendships from the show to create an authentic action experience for TRANSFORMERS fans of all ages to enjoy.&#8221;

&#8220;Hasbro is thrilled to be working with Activision again on an exciting new TRANSFORMERS video game,&#8221; said Mark Blecher, Senior Vice President of Digital Media and Marketing at Hasbro. &#8220;The TRANSFORMERS PRIME animated series has resonated strongly with kids and fans and we&#8217;re looking forward to delivering this new way to experience the adventure.&#8221;

TRANSFORMERS PRIME will hit stores later this year and is being developed exclusively for Nintendo&#8217;s Wii&#8482; system and the Nintendo 3DS&#8482; hand-held system by Now Production (NowPro), and for the Nintendo DS&#8482; hand-held system by Altron Corporation. The game has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

the official website

Transformers !!
More Than
MEETS
THE EYEEEEE !

Love this IP, i hope we'll see a good game on the next Nintendo system.

nickcv

That is true :) I wonder how most developers will use the controller screen, if it will be more about an inventory screen or if it will be some more interaction between the TV and the controller.

i hope they'll come up with something more then an inventory screen, but i'm afraid that we'll have to wait for E3 to know :p

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Rösti;36053588 said:
Are you talking about the relation between audio production and supported technologies here? If so, Nintendo did announce the console has support for six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI. This is to compare with Dolby Pro Logic II which features five full-range audio channels. Now, for backwards compatibility with Wii games I assume both of these are supported, but I wonder if something else like Dolby 3D, Dolby Surround 7.1, Dolby TrueHD or maybe even THX will be supported. Not that they need these things, but it would add more choices for developers. A rich and stable soundfield is more important than many people think, and I believe this is something that could play a big part in development of games (at least at Nintendo).

Yeah i was talking in part of that. The upgrade in the sound department for the Wii U can come from several sources, the hardware (its innards with the DSP & output), the huge room of the new storage, Nintendo sound designers & composers more accustomed to the HD sound era than before, new modern recording equipment in their studios, etc.

andthebeatgoeson

Edit: oh and as i said, i never seen such ambitions and marketing efforts for an handled game, so i bet that a non-negligeable part of what we'll see on Wii U will be on balance, will depend on KI success. For example, the perspective of reviving an old IP in a glorious way (a retail game with long development) for the next home system will certainly take a hit if KI don't meet the minimum sales expectations.

Ur english has gotten much better.

A new Transformers announced for Wii & 3DS. Maybe we can expect a Wii U version ?

From the Activision & Hasbro press release (and NO, i'm sorry, Transformers isn't just for kids, i'm talking to you, yes you, behind your screen, the one that wrote that PR thingy !! ><):

the official website

Transformers !!
More Than
MEETS
THE EYESSSSS !

The recent trailer showed Grimlock with 3 fingers in the Tyrannosaurus mode. That alone is enough to not buy the game. And this game will probably suck just as bad, if not more.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Guh... my Wii stopped outputting video and it no longer works!

Where is my Wii U Nintendo!?

NeoRausch

the official website

Transformers !!
More Than
MEETS
THE EYEEEEE !

ah yeah! :)

nice!
i can allready see the commercial!
"and fold them together yourself on your Wii U Touch Pad!!"

but really, nice to see that the game are comming.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
The recent trailer showed Grimlock with 3 fingers in the Tyrannosaurus mode. That alone is enough to not buy the game. And this game will probably suck just as bad, if not more.

We can surely expect Transformers toys with NFC features for a Wii U title. The breach will open for a merchandising extravaganza, more than with current-system's skylanders :p

tkscz

the official website

Transformers !!
More Than
MEETS
THE EYEEEEE !

Based off a TV show. Going to suck, probably will sell anyway.

darthdago

the official website

Transformers !!
More Than
MEETS
THE EYEEEEE !

nice and good news thanks!!
I love transformers even long time ago as a kid I loved to play with the toys...ahhh that time...

btw I dont think that they meant it in a bad way with their PR "...kids of all ages..."
I'm turning 35 but will allways have the kid inside me (hopefully will never lose that)
:))

EloquentM

aka Mannny
How are you guys planning on purchasing the system? Are you going to camp out at retailers like Walmart, GameStop, etc or are you going to buy online?

I'm personally going to go with first day shippin on amazon (no tax ftw).

How are you guys planning on purchasing the system? Are you going to camp out at retailers like Walmart, GameStop, etc or are you going to buy online?

Well my GameStop (when the 3DS launched) had about 2 other people. As long as I don't go to the GameStop in the mall, I'm sure I'll be fine.

I officially started my personal gamestop boycott whenever it is possible for me to do so, so I'll be getting it online from best buy/future shop or amazon (in canada).

That's assuming I end up getting at launch, though even if I don't I'll still get it that way eventually.

NeoRausch

i'm still on the fence.

Option 1: Amazon. normally they deliver one day early here in germany (pretty close to their HQ)

Option 2: Super small store just on the other side of the road. they cann get me stuff 2 or 3 days early, but i can't rely on that. sometimes they take a few days more....

awww...i don't know!!!!!

why is that? lack of self-confidence?

i was just kidding! ;) i bought Epic Yarn at a store... doesn't get more kiddy than that! :p

HylianTom

Banned

Just like I did with the Wii: as soon as the pre-order date is announced, I'll secure that day off of work and get to my GameStop at about midnight. Worked like a charm last time.

I usually do all of my games shopping online, but Launch Day is my one big exception. There's still too much uncertainty surrounding delivery time (morning? evening? same day? following day?), and I don't to waste vacation time off waiting for my new console to arrive. Thus, brick-and-mortar.

Well.. that, and it's pretty fun to camp-out once or twice a decade.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Just like I did with the Wii: as soon as the pre-order date is announced, I'll secure that day off of work and get to my GameStop at about midnight. Worked like a charm last time.

I usually do all of my games shopping online, but Launch Day is my one big exception. There's still too much uncertainty surrounding delivery time (morning? evening? same day? following day?), and I don't to waste vacation time off waiting for my new console to arrive. Thus, brick-and-mortar.

Well.. that, and it's pretty fun to camp-out once or twice a decade.

I'm 21 and this would be the first time I'm able to have that camping out experience on my own but I figure I'll just wait it out one more generation.

Top Bottom