• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

guek

Banned
How are you guys planning on purchasing the system? Are you going to camp out at retailers like Walmart, GameStop, etc or are you going to buy online?

I'm personally going to go with first day shippin on amazon (no tax ftw).

I'm going to find out if there's a best buy or target doing a midnight launch and try to get there 12 hrs prior. If not, amazon it is. It was hell trying to get the Wii at midnight since it sold out at most stores in my area. I camped out in front of a Fred Meyer but was too far back in line. I'll try to get there a little earlier this time around.

I'm 21 and this would be the first time I'm able to have that camping out experience on my own but I figure I'll just wait it out one more generation.

Really, it's only fun if you do it with friends who are as enthusiastic as you :)

darthdago

How are you guys planning on purchasing the system? Are you going to camp out at retailers like Walmart, GameStop, etc or are you going to buy online?

Like with the last two generations day 1 at gamestop.

They will tell me that I should have preordered and I'll have to wait for 1 or 2 weeks.
Then I will say like "damn it really wanted to buy these 5 games here and some other stuff, then will have to check somewhere else..."
They will not let you go for sure and do some magic et voila they have forgotten that they had a console in the backroom...

darthdago

i'm still on the fence.

Option 1: Amazon. normally they deliver one day early here in germany (pretty close to their HQ)

Option 2: Super small store just on the other side of the road. they cann get me stuff 2 or 3 days early, but i can't rely on that. sometimes they take a few days more....

awww...i don't know!!!!!

i was just kidding! ;) i bought Epic Yarn at a store... doesn't get more kiddy than that! :p

no I didnt mean u!! I was asking about the amazon guys...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm going to find out if there's a best buy or target doing a midnight launch and try to get there 12 hrs prior. If not, amazon it is. It was hell trying to get the Wii at midnight since it sold out at most stores in my area. I camped out in front of a Fred Meyer but was too far back in line. I'll try to get there a little earlier this time around.

Really, it's only fun if you do it with friends who are as enthusiastic as you :)

None of my close friends play video games and none of my friends play Nintendo consoles lol all hope is lost for the Wii U but I may camp out for ps4.

HylianTom

Banned
When camping for the Wii, I got to meet some pretty cool folks in line.. some of us ended-up playing DS during the wait. Ended-up being quite fun.

I think the worst part was when the sun was coming up and I got that bleary-eyed, "I-must-be-part-vampire" feeling. Collapsed when I got home, but only after putting my preorder receipt in the safe. :)

(this is gonna be my third time camping-out. For the 64, I spent a whole weekend in college driving from one 24-hour Wal-Mart in Mississippi to another, until finally finding one. Taught me to pre-order.. ha..) (Nayru, I'm getting old)

StevieP

Banned
Rösti;36053588 said:
Are you talking about the relation between audio production and supported technologies here? If so, Nintendo did announce the console has support for six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI. This is to compare with Dolby Pro Logic II which features five full-range audio channels. Now, for backwards compatibility with Wii games I assume both of these are supported, but I wonder if something else like Dolby 3D, Dolby Surround 7.1, Dolby TrueHD or maybe even THX will be supported. Not that they need these things, but it would add more choices for developers. A rich and stable soundfield is more important than many people think, and I believe this is something that could play a big part in development of games (at least at Nintendo).

HDMI PCM output is as good as (or better than, potentially) Dolby TrueHD and the like. Difference is it doesn't cost money.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm probably going to pre-order at gamestop because it was a bitch trying to find out when my Wal-Mart had a Wii shipment in stock, then waiting for 12 hours outside because they only had around 25 units (which ended up being 15....).

Besides, I don't want to take a chance of not getting it on day one. :)

guek

Banned
I wonder what kind of shipments nintendo is planning for the launch. Wii sold 600k or so in its first week in the US and was sold out everywhere. Hopefully they'll be able to at least match those numbers.

NeoRausch

Has anybody invented the time machine yet?

6Vr7G.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
I wonder what kind of shipments nintendo is planning for the launch. Wii sold 600k or so in its first week in the US and was sold out everywhere. Hopefully they'll be able to at least match those numbers.

Does anyone remember when Nintendo finalized what hardware components they were using for the Wii?

I get the impression that things in this arena are somewhat more unsettled this time around, which might mean that they have less time to start cranking-out units.

If so, the fight to grab a U might be a bit tougher. And eBay opportunists will celebrate worldwide.

Only the one that allows you to travel a tiny bit faster in time, also known as moving.
Or sleep.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Excluding the late Ben Underwood, Isaiah Johnson landed the first Wii when Nintendo of America hosted the midnight launch of Wii at the Times Square Toys"R"Us in New York City on the 19th of November 2006. What a feat it would be if he manages to get the first Wii U as well.

I will probably order my system from an online retailer. There is a GameStop store where I live, but I do not want to trade with that company as I find its corporate governance and code of conduct out of order. I also don't appreciate the sales clerks frantically trying to get their customers to trade in games. Sure, a market for it, as long as maintained properly, is good, but let it be on the customer's term if a trade in should be made.

Effect

Buying online. Not standing in line to deal with people acting like animals. After E3 I will have my home and work browsers opening up to the Amazon.com and Best Buy pages so I can put in my order asap.

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;36056464 said:
Excluding the late Ben Underwood, Isaiah Johnson landed the first Wii when Nintendo of America hosted the midnight launch of Wii at the Times Square Toys"R"Us in New York City on the 19th of November 2006. What a feat it would be if he manages to get the first Wii U as well.

He could catheterize himself and go on a liquid diet for a few days. That'd give him quite an edge over the competition. They'd see him drinking, drinking, drinking, but never having to leave to pee.. haha!

Anth0ny

Midnight in Toronto! Not planning on sleeping that night.

AzaK

I went to the wii midnight launch at a local store. Game nerds smell too much so I'll probably online it unless there's a better in store offer.

HeySeuss

I went to the wii midnight launch at a local store. Game nerds smell too much so I'll probably online it unless there's a better in store offer.
The Wii was the first console I camped for. Your absolutely right, the bo was horrendous. But for the overall experience and being able to be a true nerd in public is something I will gladly do again, bo and all.

jacksrb

Got on the second wave of pre-orders with Toys R Us. That was ok. Was on the preorder wave at GameStop when the Gamecube came out.

May try Amazon this time, depending.

So exciting to open that box for the first time...

It might be nice to not have to chase a second controller though, since I will have all of my Wii accessories (another game in the launch budget?).

HylianTom

Banned
GameCube launch line: Yep.. some BO.

Wii launch line: Nope. No BO.

I'm hoping that this is an improving trend. Shower, folks - you wanna go into this as fresh as a daisy!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
GameCube launch line: Yep.. some BO.

Wii launch line: Nope. No BO.

I'm hoping that this is an improving trend. Shower, folks - you wanna go into this as fresh as a daisy!

New concept: Lifestyle Eve-System-Launch Camping

We register ourselves in a website, for a specific store on each area of the world, and everybody bring food & drinks, folding top, playing cards, knitting tools to make Toad tshirts, etc.

A night to remember !

Bit-Bit

I'm gonna do like I did for the Wii launch. Whichever store is having the first pre-order, I'll be camping outside to put down my money.

I remember last time, Toys R Us were the very first ones to have pre-orders for Wii and PS3 on the same day. There was about 30 people lined up all night. It was cold and awesome!

HylianTom

Banned
New concept: Lifestyle Eve-System-Launch Camping

We register ourselves in a website, for a specific store on each area of the world, and everybody bring food & drinks, folding top, playing cards, knitting tools to make Toad tshirts, etc.

A night to remember !

In that case, I need to learn how to knit!
(I do know how to loom.. it can't be that hard, right?)

Otherwise, I'll be posting updates, live from the line, to NeoGAF via iPad. Fun times!

HylianTom in Line at GameStop said:
Three douchebags around the 20th place in line are still arguing about the Obama-Romney race. The rest of us are getting pretty tired of it. Time for headphones.

andthebeatgoeson

What, get it shipped sometime that week? Pfft, I tried reserving the Wii, way before it got real hyped and there was no way, unless you sign on for a stupid bundle. I would love to slap some cash down now but it'll be sold out in 5 minutes everywhere. This is the part of the ST where we remind people the wii was sold out until spring. Unless it's a flop or Nintendo has 10 million in the first year, it will be sold out and you'll have to be lucky. I missed mine on launch day and had to camp out for black friday to get it. I camped out twice to get the fucker. Wii U will be impossible.

sinxtanx

Wii midnight launch represent!

I'd do it again in a fartbeat

Thread speed: 35 pph
DEFCON 5
I oddly enjoy doing this. Makes me feel like this thread is actually going somewhere. I should do a graph.

HylianTom

Banned
So.. it looks like Nintendo would be aiming for the 1980s "Red Dawn fan" demographic with that Ranger title.

Pretty consistent with their stated intent of pursuing the core audience.. but what type of game, I wonder.. hmm..

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
So.. it looks like Nintendo would be aiming for the 1980s "Red Dawn fan" demographic with that Ranger title.

Pretty consistent with their stated intent of pursuing the core audience.. but what type of game, I wonder.. hmm..

Well, Rangers can also be wood elf bowmen. :D

Top Bottom