• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

guek

Banned
It's probably a good idea to let this thread drift down the page if there really isn't anything worth talking about. Otherwise, it might actually get moved to community

Boogybro

So guys I heard a rumour that the Wii U is gonna have an HD Zelda and an HD Mario and an HD animal crossing and an HD donkey kong and an HD smash bros and an HD monolith game and an HD pikmin and an HD Metroid and other HD games.

Is this true? If so I'll probably get one. Probably bullshit though, way too good to be true.

Thoughts?

With Nintendo's out-dated N64 engines, they'll only manage 600p with a choppy frame rate.

BlueSteel

I just ate a lot of ice cream though and I'm mildly lactose intolerant.

I'll have the shits in the matter of an hour!

I wish you could change your avatar back to the nipple growing on a nipple :[

Anyways, I've been keeping tabs on this thread. 40+ pages in a few days already? On no new news? Ridiculous guys.

EDIT: Wait WHAT. 66?

Log4Girlz

kzukzu.jpg

My body is Reggie.

darthdago

I remember that it was talked about Mark Rein and his interview about Wii U...so far so good

There was one special part that popped up in front of me

Quote:
Epic Games announced a licensing deal with Nintendo for their Unreal Engine 3 technology earlier this month. Under the deal, every single developer with a Wii U development kit will have free access to the Unreal Engine 3 – the middleware technology that runs Gears of War 3, among countless other titles.

Source:
http://nintendowiiu.in/2012/03/14/epic-games-expecting-shocking-nintendo-wii-u-reveal-at-e3-aussie/

Is that a normal thing that a manufacturer of a console will license engines and give them out for free?
I mean how much is a developer saving then?

If the amount being saved (for developers) is high then I think its a very clever move and hopefully will end up in a lot of good games...

Jackano

I remember that it was talked about Mark Rein and his interview about Wii U...so far so good

Quote:
Epic Games announced a licensing deal with Nintendo for their Unreal Engine 3 technology earlier this month. Under the deal, every single developer with a Wii U development kit will have free access to the Unreal Engine 3 – the middleware technology that runs Gears of War 3, among countless other titles.

Source:
http://nintendowiiu.in/2012/03/14/epic-games-expecting-shocking-nintendo-wii-u-reveal-at-e3-aussie/

Is that a normal thing that a manufacturer of a console will license engines and give them out for free?

If the amount being saved (for developers) is high then I think its a very clever move and hopefully will end up in a lot of good games...

Isn't this specific part not confirmed?

Quote:

Source:

If you follow their source which then sources it's article from eurogamer you will see that that part isn't there.

nickcv

Quote:

Source:

if all of that it's true this is a clear sign that nintendo is actually pushin devs to make games for their own platform... we'll see what will happen...

real question is:
if a dev makes a multiplatform title for let's say PS3 / Wii U how does the UE3 license work? do they have to pay it just for the PS3 Version and not for the Wii U one?

and how does it work right now for a PS3/360 multiplatform game? They do have to pay the license twice or just once?

because if right now they have to pay just one license for game, regardless of platform, i can't see any real advantage on offering the for free UE for wii u, if they still have to pay the license because the game releases on other platforms as well...

darthdago

Isn't this specific part not confirmed?

sorry if I caused confusion...

I only knew about Havok and Autodesk to be confirmed engines (to give tem away to developers for free)

I knew that UE3 is confirmed to be supported by Wii U (no surprise)

But I havent heard that they also give it away for free to developers...

So all in all that licensing stuff of engines and giving them to developers for free caused the question how much would that normally cost for a developer to license an engine or multiple engines?

With UE, you could either buy the rights to use the engine for your game or you pay a percentage to Epic based on your income later on.
I can't imagine Nintendo would be doing this for all developers, it would be very expensive. I think it's just a misinterpretation.

Jackano

With UE, you could either buy the rights to use the engine for your game or you pay a percentage to Epic based on your income later on.
I can't imagine Nintendo would be doing this for all developers, it would be very expensive. I think it's just a misinterpretation.

But how much are we talking about? Expensive, it really depends. If we are talking about a lifetime license for each developers around 10-15k US$, it's a piece of cake for Nintendo.
Let's say, even a couple million dollars globally is really affordable for Nintendo, you need to see the benefits:
Smaller studios for which licensing engines costs are important, who may now prefer the Wii U instead of other systems;
No extra cost either for bigger editors who have no more reason to not provide their multi-platforms titles to the Nintendo home console: That's the point here, if Nintendo is serious about getting third party love, this is not a pointless move.

Now, that's UE3. AAAA :)lol) third party titles may someday use UE4 instead, and Epic's business model returns.

Luigiv

If you follow their source which then sources it's article from eurogamer you will see that that part isn't there.

Yeah, I think Aussie-Gamer got their facts wrong and was confusing the free Gameware licenses for a free UE licence.

Nintendo will definitely package a free engine with the SDK, as always, but I highly doubt it'll be a third party engine.

yeah it does not seem to make much sense maybe the got this confused with the Havok / Autodesk deals

wsippel

Banned
sorry if I caused confusion...

I only knew about Havok and Autodesk to be confirmed engines (to give tem away to developers for free)

I knew that UE3 is confirmed to be supported by Wii U (no surprise)

But I havent heard that they also give it away for free to developers...

So all in all that licensing stuff of engines and giving them to developers for free caused the question how much would that normally cost for a developer to license an engine or multiple engines?
I once read that Scaleform and Havok are $50,000 each per title and platform. Dunno if that information is up to date, if it was ever correct. The prices are not public. For reference: RAD Iggy, a library similar to Scaleform, is $8,500 per title and platform. The Granny animation system by RAD is $17,500 per title and platform, and I doubt HumanIK or Havok Animation are cheaper.

Yeah, I think Aussie-Gamer got their facts wrong and was confusing the free Gameware licenses for a free UE licence.

Nintendo will definitely package a free engine with the SDK, as always, but I highly doubt it'll be a third party engine.

Yep the biggest thing that should tip you off that this is a missunderstanding or made up is that Epic and/or Nintendo would have made it known and loudly enough that it would have been big news across all the major sites and blogs.

HylianTom

Banned
It's fairly expensive to license the US3 engine, and there's no way anyone would license it for every game coming to a console.

Yeah.. they'd be leaving big money on the table by doing such a thing.

I suppose this could be Nintendo's preferred version of "money hatting" projects for their console?

ozfunghi

It's fairly expensive to license the US3 engine, and there's no way anyone would license it for every game coming to a console.

That would be one funky engine alright.

Seriously though, Nintendo should just get expert advice on the matter of EU3 from Denis Dyak. Mwuhahahaha.

andthebeatgoeson

In fact honestly I reckon Uncharted, God of war and Assassins creed are being overmilked during this generation, regardless of how actually good those games are.
2 Arkham games in a single generation are acceptable to me as well, but they should be careful before releasing a third IMO, I mean, look at Guitar hero or Layton, releasing a game on a yearly basis may eventually bring customers to saturation.

Speaking of which I can't help recalling how Nintendo had been previously criticezed on the allegation they were exploiting Mario and Zelda games just to make money, as when they released Galaxy 2.

Given how we have a lot of evidence that game franchises are not making a consistent leap into new generations, quality wise, it makes sense to milk most franchises during one generation. If it helps with the health of the industry.

My preference is for more varied franchises with 2, maybe 3 games in a generation, not yearly updates but the die was set after guitar hero and the music games. And I don't have to buy yearly updates. Hell, I can ignore Assassin's Creed (like I have) until it proves it has staying power. Hell, I can wait till a game has released for a year to see if people are still excited about it (batman: arkham asylum) and pick it up for cheap. So, if yearly updates by teams I don't care about produces this boom and bust cycle, maybe it's not that BAD?

BTW, I blame all financial problems on pubs/devs not being equiped for the current HD generation.

darthdago

I once read that Scaleform and Havok are $50,000 each per title and platform. Dunno if that information is up to date, if it was ever correct. The prices are not public. For reference: RAD Iggy, a library similar to Scaleform, is $8,500 per title and platform. The Granny animation system by RAD is $17,500 per title and platform, and I doubt HumanIK or Havok Animation are cheaper.

Thanks a lot for the info!!
That are some high costs....wow

test_account

XP-39C²
Have there been any words on how interactive screen VS streaming will be handled? I mean, some games with utilize the screen on the controller for things in the game, but how is this handled if you stream the game to the controller?

^ I don't recall any, but I would assume playing on the controller only would convert the view to "normal" by having the HUD and game together. But that's off the top of my head and I'm sure those working their games could find better ways of handling that transition.

so how many bits less than the 360 is Wii U going to be?

I'm not sure, but I heard the name might be changed to Wii 64.

HylianTom

Banned
Have there been any words on how interactive screen VS streaming will be handled? I mean, some games with utilize the screen on the controller for things in the game, but how is this handled if you stream the game to the controller?

Nothing official, from what I recall. My best guess would be that it'll be different from game to game.

I wonder if certain games will be labeled or advertised as "controller-only-compatible."

nickcv

^ I don't recall any, but I would assume playing on the controller only would convert the view to "normal" by having the HUD and game together. But that's off the top of my head and I'm sure those working their games could find better ways of handling that transition.

I'm not sure, but I heard the name might be changed to Wii 64.

fast, someone photoshops a 6" screen on a N64 controller!

test_account

XP-39C²
Nothing official, from what I recall. My best guess would be that it'll be different from game to game.

I wonder if certain games will be labeled or advertised as "controller-only-compatible."
Yeah probably. Come to think of it, there will be some limit to the streaming since some games are made in a way to use both the TV and the controller screen together (like that "catching a baseball" stuff). So it makes sense that it wont be possible to stream all games.

TriGen

Yeah probably. Come to think of it, there will be some limit to the streaming since some games are made in a way to use both the TV and the controller screen together (like that "catching a baseball" stuff). So it makes sense that it wont be possible to stream all games.

Right, I'm sure it will be most of their AAA games that will be able to work on the controller, since they advertised that as a big feature I think they will make it so Super Mario games and other popular games work on the screen.

nickcv

i do not agree, i think all games will support it, just because of wiimotes.

i think you'll just have to provide two possible GUI/Screens
one with the secondary screen on the padlet and the other one with the secondary screen that actually appears on your tv after pushing the start button (or whatever other button).

The devs will just use some system hook/api and the system itself will decide which one to use based on your current controllers setup.

and if you are playing with your wiimote every single touch screen based interaction will be done using pointers controlls

darthdago

there is a question burning inside me all the time...

I know it had been talked about hardware all the time in first and second thread, but still we really dont know what is inside it or wont be inside.

Couldnt it be possible to also integrate the wii gpu into the Wii U??
Then the backwards compatibility wouldnt be a prob at all
AND if AMD would work a bit on that GPU it could handle all the streaming to the pad in Wii U games...

Or would it be to much of a problem for developers or would someone need a seperate memory pool for that?

Do someone know if that would be possible and if it could happen?

I understand backwards compatibility with Wii - not GC though - is one of the few things have been officially comfirmed so far, so we have to assume WiiU will implement a full hardware compatibilty.
I don't know though whether this stuff will be used only in BC mode or if it could help improve WiiU's overall performances.

luffeN

I don't think we can do an actual skyp video chat with more than a certain amount but just a text chat room can handle quite the large amount of people and that is free.
Maybe already too late, but the problem with multiple video chats on skype is that you need to have Skype Premium.

HylianTom

Banned
I understand backwards compatibility with Wii - not GC though - is one of the few things have been officially comfirmed so far, so we have to assume WiiU will implement a full hardware compatibilty.
I don't know though whether this stuff will be used only in BC mode or if it could help improve WiiU's overall performances.

I'd love to be able to play some Wii games on the uPad. And VC titles. This is going to be a bigger deal than many think.. having to fight for the TV sucks.

darthdago

and thats what I'm asking myself too?!
If the Wii tech is used in Wii U, can it help to improve the performance?
If the Wii GPU will be used for streaming only, then the Wii U GPU could be free to do all the great stuff on big screen.
That imo would make Wii U to a real beast

Anyone in for a MIRC chat to comment Nintendo's conference live?
I have never been able to run Skype on my PC - mic's plug didn't work - so I could not partake in the chat, besides a voice chat with many people would be a tad too hectic methinks.

Top Bottom