• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Hut app coming to Xbox

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
UPDATE: App is live. 173MB download, doesn't require Gold.

Announcement trailer starring Major Nelson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xOuK4rketM

Bruce Horovitz said:
App lets you order pizza and play video games

0wA9fRR.jpg

Call it the ultimate multi-task for any Millennial: order a pizza and play a video game – essentially at the same time.

On Tuesday, Pizza Hut and Xbox Live maker Microsoft will announce plans to introduce a game-changing ordering app that allows gamers to purchase physical goods – in this case, anything on the Pizza Hut menu – right from the gaming counsel.

Just pause the game, and order.

For Pizza Hut, it's about reaching out to its hard-to-reach target – young men 18 to 24 – where they live and play. For Microsoft, it's a nifty way of cosmically expanding the virtual world into something far closer to the real world. And for consumers, well, we'll just have to wait and see how folks respond.

One expert thinks it could be huge.

"The very last thing a kid wants to do is look for a phone to order a pizza," says John Engates, chief technology officer at Rackspace, a cloud technology provider. Now, he says, "the Xbox is no longer just a place to just play games. "

Even cooler: the free app isn't limited to operating via game controllers. It also can operate via Xbox Kinect hand motions and even voice commands.

"For the first time, people can order something through their Xbox that's tangible," says Kurt Kane, chief marketing office at Pizza Hut. "It brings the intersection of gaming and real world products together."

Through May 6, folks who order via their downloadable app will receive a 15% discount.

For Pizza Hut, the growth in digital ordering has exploded since 1994, when it was first sold online. Currently, 25% of all orders are digital, says Kane. Within five years, he projects, it will be 50%.

Today's families, says Kane, "gather around their gaming consoles as much as they gather around their dinner tables."

Digital ordering can save consumers time — by eliminating the need for a phone call. And it can save retailers money — by reducing the need to staff the phones. Digital orders also tend to increase order accuracy.

There is some irony. Gamers often turn to food, like pizza, to amass the energy to keep playing. Now, they won't even have to exert much extra energy to get the grub.

Microsoft worked months on developing the app, says Ross Honey, general manager of Xbox Advertising. The move, he says, will "further transform what can be done through the gaming industry."

And maybe more.

"What they're doing is bringing more commerce to the Xbox platform," says Engates. "That's pretty cool. You're meeting your customer right where they are."

At the corner of pizza and play.

Polygon has an interview with Major Nelson and Pachter's take on it
:
Alexa Ray Corriea said:
The Pizza Hut for Xbox app makes the chain's entire menu accessible to users, who can then build their own customized pizzas and place orders via Kinect motion controls, voice commands or the controller. Users can link their Xbox and PizzaHut.com accounts and save their order settings to streamline future purchases, as well as view and take advantage of deals at local stores.

The app will let users order from the chain's full menu, including pizza, pasta, breadsticks and wings, and will feature Facebook integration. After submitting an order, users can share their choice with friends via Facebook.

Alexa Ray Corriea said:
Not everyone agrees that the app brings such new potential to the console sector. Wedbush Securities research analyst Michael Pachter believes the new kind of app has no importance in the hardware landscape.

"[It's] not at all important," Pachter told Polygon. "I can do it with my cell phone, don't see how it makes things easier to do so through the Xbox. Sounds really lame, with extremely limited market potential."

I'm impressed by Microsoft's efforts to expand their app library, but I just can't stop laughing at the idea of a Kinect enabled pizza ordering app.

sunnz

" free app"

Free as in silver users, or free as in once you paid for gold...?

I mean it would be cool to "make" your pizza with the topping and such with kinect and ordering it.

Far from gaming changing lol.

Meia

I'm only shocked this is something that HADN'T happened yet.

Nextbox killer app confirmed, THE FUTURE IS HERE.

smr00

Banned
Xbox got Everquests' /pizza?
Oh god i remember when they started this.

Wonder why World of Warcraft never adopted this.

I'm only shocked this is something that HADN'T happened yet.

Nextbox killer app confirmed, THE FUTURE IS HERE.
Papa Johns or bust.

I can't stand Pizza Hut and i care even less about Dominos. Not the biggest fan of Papa Johns either but if i am order a big chain pizza it's gonna PJ.

First amazing McDonald's ad loops, now full blown Pizza Hut apps. Microsoft has truly found the holy grail of food. Truly an untapped market.

Tyrax

They NEED to expose this to games, so that you are rewarded with achievement points and pizza sent right to your door.

smr00

Banned
Trying this day one. Just for the lols.

Don't see any point in this, but it's so funny.
Eh, i guess it's easier then getting up and walking to your computer.

I haven't ordered delivery from a phone in i don't know how long. I always do online ordering because there is no holding, no real chance of human error from taking down your order and i feel better about paying online then i do over the phone.

And i hate people.

Don't most pizza places have smartphone apps for delivery?

What if your phone is like 5 feet away? That's 10 feet too far.

Top Bottom