• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if you could run the NX platform on your existing PC?

Jimrpg

I haven't really kept up with the NX news, but the Microsoft Play Anywhere concept got me thinking, what if we don't have to buy the new Nintendo Console to play Nintendo games. Just install NX like you install Steam on your PC. After all, they said it was the NX Platform.

Do you think Nintendo would let this happen?

My answer if I was Reggie would be - why not? They don't really make much money off the hardware as it is anyway and its always a one off purchase. Is a new NX console a faster way of selling software than utilising all the PCs out there currently? Wii U would say otherwise. I bet they would sell a ton of Zelda BOTW if they did this.

Besides The NX could be like a handheld so there's still some advantage to buying the console because of its portability.

And Sony if you're out there - I want the same thing!

Sorry if this is old and discussed to death.

Not happening, but this would be perfect for me.

It's not happening for multiple reasons:
1) Nintendo might want a cohesive and simple ecosystem for them.
2) Their infrastructures are late, I can't see how they'd handle a platform working on their hardware and on PC without integration troubles.
3) They want you to buy their hardware.

Atheerios

Literally the only thing that currently keeps Nintendo alive are their exclusives. They are never going to do that.

Mediking

You're not the first PC gamer to want Nintendo games on PC. It's not happening. Just get a NX when you think it's appealing enough.

Nintendo can't compete on any level, they can't even run a decent online service. I'd stake my life on the fact that there will never be a Nintendo Play Anywhere.

Genio88

Not gonna happen, at least not yet, though it would be awesome, that's what i'd want actually Sony and Nintendo bringing their games on PC like Microsoft is doing, everything in one platform

The only thing I've heard that would give credence to this theory is that I remember someone in the know saying something like Nintendo wouldn't be worrying about power ever again. Can't remember where the quote was from but I read it on GAF so it must be true.

EDIT: It was this quote from CD Projekt.

Host: But the hardware will be much worse than the new Xbox.

Fabian: I think this will never again be the main emphasis in the future [for Nintendo]. Can it [NX] be better than the new Xbox? Take a realistic point of view: is Nintendo able to build a console that has got more power than Xbox?

pYvHBOV.jpg

Is there something I'm missing on why its not going to happen.

Nintendo make a lot of great games. The only hurdle now is that no one has a Wii U.

They're making games for mobile (albeit minor ones) to test the market. Maybe they'll do it for PCs.
The entire Nintendo agenda is forcing you to buy their awful hardware for bloated prices in order to play their games.
That's why it won't happen

dude

dude
It would be awesome.

It's not going to happen.

Maybe that's the future we're headed in, one can hope, but it's not happening anytime soon.

That would be amazing, and allow their only real true strength, their software, to really shine and reach a much larger audience, but I personally think they'd sooner go bankrupt than willingly do that.

Azalean

Banned
LOL. Never going to happen. Same reason that don't put there games on Playstation or Xbox is the same reason it won't come to PC.

Besides, Nintendo hates piracy and PC is a piracy haven.

Nanashrew

Banned
It's not happening. The goal is console iteration and NX is being built from the ground up for that and an OS that works on multiple of their own devices. Think Apple and their software working across devices.

Jimrpg

Not happening, but this would be perfect for me.

It's not happening for multiple reasons:
1) Nintendo might want a cohesive and simple ecosystem for them.
2) Their infrastructures are late, I can't see how they'd handle a platform working on their hardware and on PC without integration troubles.
3) They want you to buy their hardware.

1) Steam is a simple ecosystem.
2) They could go the route of Sega, sort of and develop for more than just their machine. Especially if Nintendo end up using the AMD GPU for the NX.
3) Why though - they had some unique controllers in the past, but they could easily sell those individually.

Literally the only thing that currently keeps Nintendo alive are their exclusives. They are never going to do that.

But they can still have their exclusives - on the NX and the PC. People can still buy the NX portable handheld if they want. But they can't really afford to be selling to such a narrow audience. 12.8m shipped according to Wikipedia as of 3/31/2016.

Vuze

tfw this thread is more civil than the similar one we had for PS4 lol

Yeah, it would be great but it won't happen. Also I don't have any faith at all when it comes to digital distribution and online services with Nintendo.

Sloane

Banned
Won't happen, but, yeah, that would be the best obviously for me as a player / "consumer". Been saying it for years, there's not point in having up to six different devices which all more or less do the same, run games, but it will probably another five years or so until all companies come to that conclusion.

Read up on Denuvo.

I don't understand why PC owners keep port begging, Nintendo games are not coming to your platform, please stop with these threads.

ramparter

Banned
Honestly I thught that this was part of their plan when they said they plan to have 10-12 millions NX in 2016. Could be a middleware that would run on any device (even a PS4) as long as it was strong enough.

But I have stopped thinking about it now, we will know when the time is right.

1) Steam is a simple ecosystem.
2) They could go the route of Sega, sort of and develop for more than just their machine. Especially if Nintendo end up using the AMD GPU for the NX.
3) Why though - they had some unique controllers in the past, but they could easily sell those individually.

But they can still have their exclusives - on the NX and the PC. People can still buy the NX portable handheld if they want. But they can't really afford to be selling to such a narrow audience. 12.8m shipped according to Wikipedia as of 3/31/2016.

When I said simple, I said simple to handle for them.

Jimrpg

That's a good point, but at some point when your company is struggling, you gotta take a risk and itd be a calculated risk, sure.

You think Reggie makes these decisions?

1390846334310zijzq.gif

If I was Reggie, I'd expect a seat at the table at the very least.

It's not happening. The goal is console iteration and NX is being built from the ground up for that and an OS that works on multiple of their own devices. Think Apple and their software working across devices.

I'd be comfortable with that, so long as its better than the current digital solution of not being account based.

And I don't have a problem with buying the NX console, I probably would wait a bit and see what comes out, but I thought utlising PCs would get them a huge start in terms of installed base.

KevinCow

Banned
Is there something I'm missing on why its not going to happen.

Nintendo make a lot of great games. The only hurdle now is that no one has a Wii U.

They're making games for mobile (albeit minor ones) to test the market. Maybe they'll do it for PCs.

Same reason they won't make games for the Xbox or Playstation. If their games are available on another platform, why would people buy their platform?

The only way you'll see Nintendo games officially on PC is if they go third-party. And if they go third-party, don't expect them to keep making great games. See: Atari, Sega, Hudson, SNK. As far as I'm aware, there has never been a single console manufacturer who decided to go third-party and didn't go straight down the toilet.

The only reason MS is doing their thing is because Microsoft has an interest in the Windows Store succeeding.

roytheone

LOL. Never going to happen. Same reason that don't put there games on Playstation or Xbox is the same reason it won't come to PC.

I think it is currently waaaaay easier to pirate 3DS games then pc games.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Probaly not. But if they make a streaming thing for the PC without a required console, I guess that can work

Jimrpg

I don't understand why PC owners keep port begging, Nintendo games are not coming to your platform, please stop with these threads.

It's not port begging. It was a post wondering if Nintendo should consider PCs as an instant installed base.

Same reason they won't make games for the Xbox or Playstation. If their games are available on another platform, why would people buy their platform?

The only way you'll see Nintendo games officially on PC is if they go third-party. And if they go third-party, don't expect them to keep making great games. See: Atari, Sega, Hudson, SNK. As far as I'm aware, there has never been a single console manufacturer who decided to go third-party and didn't go straight down the toilet.

The only reason MS is doing their thing is because Microsoft has an interest in the Windows Store succeeding.

Because people can still buy a NX handheld that would be great for games on the go.

They can also buy the NX home console if they don't want to mess around buying a PC, just like Xbox Scorpio.

NX on a PC would be the same as Xbox Play Anywhere.

But they can still have their exclusives - on the NX and the PC. People can still buy the NX portable handheld if they want.

An "exclusive" stops being exclusive the moment it goes to PC or any other platform. Nintendo has always focused on exclusives that can sell consoles. Consoles aren't being sold when you can just buy the games elsewhere, which we will see quickly enough with Microsoft.

It's not port begging. It was a post wondering if Nintendo should consider PCs as an instant installed base.

Because people can still buy a NX handheld that would be great for games on the go.

They can also buy the NX home console if they don't want to mess around buying a PC, just like Xbox Scorpio.

An instant install base for what? PC? If you can just buy their games on PC, you have no reason to touch the console. They gain nothing in terms of "install base" when people aren't buying their platform. We also have no idea if there will even be a handheld, which should have probably been something to look into, as there's more than enough NX rumor threads going around.

Sloane

Banned

Exactly. Eventually all platforms will have to become services, it's inevitable -- and I think it would be delusional for Nintendo to assume people will suddenly run into the stores again to buy another device that does more or less the same as the PlayStation / Xbox / PC / iPad. But, then again, this is still Nintendo we are talking about.

Jimrpg

The only thing I've heard that would give credence to this theory is that I remember someone in the know saying something like Nintendo wouldn't be worrying about power ever again. Can't remember where the quote was from but I read it on GAF so it must be true.

EDIT: It was this quote from CD Projekt.

Very Interesting quote. though that could be taken a few ways.

I hope it means - they are considering PC.

It could also mean - they are out of the console hardware race of achieving high end performance. They've had this view since the Wii.

dude

dude

PC is sort of "neutral grounds". You can launch your own platform and make 100% of the profit or sell 3rd party software just. It makes it more feasible for more games and companies to consider it.

TheMoon

Very Interesting quote. though that could be taken a few ways.

I hope it means - they are considering PC. (a)

It could also mean - they are out of the console hardware race of achieving high end performance. They've had this view since the Wii. (b)

(a) it does not
(b) is exactly what he's saying there (btw he's just a PR guy who was joking around a lot in that interview, not worth putting much stock into anything there anyway)

KevinCow

Banned

It's not remotely the same situation. MS isn't putting Xbone games on the PC to help the Xbone, they're doing it to help the Windows Store.

Nintendo stands to gain nothing by making PC games. They'd only lose their biggest draw: the exclusivity of their games.

dex3108

Well they are already on PC (Dolphin and CEMU) so question is not really "if" it is simply "when" and "how" :D Nintendo could make official emulator, charge 100$ for it and that would be pure profit for them + games they would sell. One way or another NX games will be playable on PC.

nightside

Never gonna happen but would be awesome. But I don't think they would just give you a he opportunity to install the nx client on your pc. If nx really works on some kind of cartridges then you would have something like and external drive with the cartridge reader so that they could implement a hw dmr.
Nintendo needs a new approach to regain market, they just won't go that far tho.
Anyway dunno, maybe it could work.

PC is sort of "neutral grounds". You can launch your own platform and make 100% of the profit or sell 3rd party software just. It makes it more feasible for more games and companies to consider it.
I don't think it makes any sense at all for companies to put their games on PC. Nintendo use games to sell their hardware, if hardware is cut out of the equation then the company suffers a huge loss. Having exclusives elsewhere diminishes everything, I doubt PC owners are rushing to get an XBox One after E3, yet how many have PC and Wii U combos? From what I hear that's one of the more popular combinations due to the Wii U having a near entirely exclusive game library.

Top Bottom