• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PC the best gaming platform this generation?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But consoles are more expensive when you want to get the most out of it, some people just don't like the idea of buying dirt cheap games, I understand the ethics behind that, but if you wanna collect most new games the dirty way, you still got the choice on PC, just cause it's not practical to build cheap rigs, same thing with consoles, you can't rely on sales and services to get the most out it, the experience is massively different when pay a lot on games especially in their early days.
I don’t remember paying full advertised game price for ps5 game.
Retail is automatically 10$ less than psn. Then you can get used.
And as for psn, there are always deals. Always. For example resident evil 2 is like 9€ every 2 months.
Psn got worse deals but it still has deals.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What do you mean "this generation"?
When has that NOT been the case in the past 30 years?

More choices, flexibility and options available than on any other platform, basically infinite retrocompability, top performances if you can fork the bill... Hell, even entire genres that are barely available (if at all) anywhere else.

And they still wouldn't cover HALF of what a good PC can do for you, incidentally.
Oh yeah I remember playing all those gears and uncharted games on my pc in 2007. Dude, dark souls and even mass effect 1 were exclusive for a year.
During 360 era, if you only had a PC you are still missing out.

SHA

I'm not sure what you are saying, but I'm happy for you?
Sure, I'm just saying the consoles themselves are cheaper but it's not the only way to invest in games, for example, you saw those miny indie games priced around 15ish to 30 or even sometimes 40 bucks, but that's not the case with pc, the pricing for these games is completely different, adding the high quantity plus quality of indie, if you collect many of these, you'll almost end up with complete set of experiences as if you hold a platform of it's own, you're looking around 5 or even 2, 1.5 and sometimes 1 buck, that doesn't happen on consoles, I wouldn't actually believe many of these indie games could survive without pc and mobile.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Oh yeah I remember playing all those gears and uncharted games on my pc in 2007. Dude, dark souls and even mass effect 1 were exclusive for a year.
During 360 era, if you only had a PC you are still missing out.
Are you mentally challenged or what? Why do you even think that "all these Gears and Uncharted" are even REMOTELY close to be the ones I cared about the most?

Darchaos

I love consoles, always have and always will. But PC is the best gaming platform, all gens, now and in the future. There is really not much to talk about.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Overpriced GPUs that cost double the price of a console, microstutter everywhere and majority of games being broken on release...?

No thanks.
Clearly you don't have a PC and are just exaggerating issues you have heard of as if they are the status quo. If you have high end hardware you can always run games better than console. The people complaining are either trying to run something at top settings on a middling card or complaining that they can't get 120 FPS on a game that was ported from console or at least prioritized for it.. The games can still run better than console.

I personally cannot think of any of these 'broken' games over the past generation that I have had any complaints with on my gaming PCs. Yes the cost of the GPU is a problem, but they work good enough for me gaming on the same 4K HDR TV my PS5 is hooked up to.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are you mentally challenged or what? Why do you even think that "all these Gears and Uncharted" are even REMOTELY close to be the ones I cared about the most?
I don't give a shit what games you care about.
I just state the fact that dring 360/ps3 era, if you only gamed on pc you missed out massively on tons of games, some of which are still exclusive.
Gears and uncharted trilogy are used as and example because these were very high selling 360/ps3 games. But there are tons more.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I don't give a shit what games you care about.
I just state the fact that dring 360/ps3 era, if you only gamed on pc you missed out massively on tons of games, some of which are still exclusive.
Gears and uncharted trilogy are used as and example because these were very high selling 360/ps3 games. But there are tons more.

And if you gamed only on consoles, you missed on a ton of games too

Neverwinter nights
The Witcher
Civilization
Crysis (not gimped version)
Arma 2 (eventually dayz mod)
Stalker shadow of Chernobyl / Call of Pripyat / clear sky
Dota 2, dawn of MOBA

And the PEAK MMO era :
Eve online

World Of Warcraft

Guild Wars 2

And many others

I mean what were you even doing if skipping World of Warcraft during its peak? The list could almost be reduced to just WoW and I would have made my point.

And probably still too busy playing Warcraft 3, Homeworld 2, Icewind Dale 2 from 2002-2003 releases, because what is a « gen » on PC.

But I had a 360 back then so I didn’t miss on shit, but I would gladly have thrown it under the bus to keep the moments on PC during those years, easily.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And if you games only on consoles, you missed on a ton of games too

Neverwinter nights
The Witcher
Civilization
Crysis (not gimped version)
Arma 2 (eventually dayz mod)
Stalker shadow of Chernobyl / Call of Pripyat / clear sky
Dota 2, dawn of MOBA

And the PEAK MMO era :
Eve online

World Of Warcraft

Guild Wars 2

And many others

I mean what were you even doing if skipping World of Warcraft during its peak?

And probably still too busy playing Warcraft 3, Homeworld 2, Icewind Dale 2 from 2002-2003 releases, because what is a « gen » on PC.

But I had a 360 back then, but I would gladly have thrown it under the bus to keep the moments on PC during those years, easily.
I like console exclusives of that time more than games you listed.
I don't play mmo and I never liked civlization.
Crysis 1 is a milestone in gaming but it's a shitty game. Timeshift released same month was such a better game.
Witcher was great.
I had the pc and 360. I played everything so you don't have to tell me. I had new 8800gts on release.

But this is not the topic. I just said that no. PC is not the best gaming platform because it is missing tons of exclusives. We are not talking other way around.

LimanimaPT

Games crash even on consoles, and you don't have to be seated at a desk i can use my PC just like consoles i am actually playing with the ps5 controller DS5 on 60 inch TV.
I'm a software developer and I play poker on the PC. How would that work on a 60 inch TV whitout a mouse or keyboard?

Klosshufvud

I don't play mmo and I never liked civlization.
Crysis 1 is a milestone in gaming but it's a shitty game. Timeshift released same month was such a better game.
Witcher was great.
I had the pc and 360. I played everything so you don't have to tell me. I had new 8800gts on release.

But this is not the topic. I just said that no. PC is not the best gaming platform because it is missing tons of exclusives. We are not talking other way around.
You don't need to have literally every game ever to be considered the best. A handful of console blockbusters missing can't take away all the million other advantages that PC have that consoles don't. I remember when I built my first PC in 2012. I never looked back. Got a PS4, was disgusted by how poorly it was designed. Got a PS5 and Series S later on and still as disgusted how poorly designed and anti-consumer they are.

MikeM

You don't need to have literally every game ever to be considered the best. A handful of console blockbusters missing can't take away all the million other advantages that PC have that consoles don't. I remember when I built my first PC in 2012. I never looked back. Got a PS4, was disgusted by how poorly it was designed. Got a PS5 and Series S later on and still as disgusted how poorly designed and anti-consumer they are.
If you love PC and its freedom, then not sure why you are buying consoles anymore.

PCs advantages also bring about their disadvantages. Whereas console strength is one box for all. Both have their own advantages.

BlackTron

PC may not be the best way to play everything but it does give you a way. With a gaming laptop you have access to almost every game ever in a bag...it's the one and done. Add in Switch just for convenience of not having to emulate and having a handheld and I don't feel like any bases aren't covered. All the other consoles and gaming stuff I have feel like a novelty/excess on top of the PC/Nintendo combo. Even though I have PS, XB and retro consoles and lots of old hardware and controllers they become more an embellishment of the hobby...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PLaying gears games when they came out, gta4 when it came out, mass effect, the darkness, dead rising... all of that was most important to me at that time.
It was fundamental in creation of my gaming tastes

Sentenza

Ahum, how was that? Ah, right...

"I don't give a shit of what games you care about".

Your personal preferences are irrelevant to a lot of people. There are ENTIRE GENRES that orbitate outside of your specific sphere of interest.
But at least we can all appreciate that you dropped the pretense of being a "disgruntled PC gamer" and basically admitted to be a rabid console fanboy from the start, I guess. Not that it should come as a surprise to anyone who was paying attention.

Lillie

Easily - it now is getting exclusives from PS and of course Xbox. Rip your switch games to PC and then you can do it all

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Your personal preferences are irrelevant to a lot of people. There are ENTIRE GENRES that orbitate outside of your specific sphere of interest.
But at least we can all appreciate that you dropped the pretense of being a "disgruntled PC gamer" and basically admitted to be a rabid console fanboy from the start, I guess. Not that it should come as a surprise to anyone who was paying attention.
wrong wrong wrong.
Just because I don't play mmo or civilization doesn't mean I am some fanboy lol.
I played on pc throughout whole 360 and ps4 gen.
But statements like yours are what push me away from pc community. toxic people

Hohenheim

I think I found the perfect solution almost 25 years ago: a good PC AND a couple of consoles. That's the best way to go every "generation" 😜 I do use the PC 90% of the time, though. And the consoles felt more important up until the end of the 360/ps3 era.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

PLaying gears games when they came out, gta4 when it came out, mass effect, the darkness, dead rising... all of that was most important to me at that time.
It was fundamental in creation of my gaming tastes
Sure but we're not living in 2008 anymore.

If you love PC and its freedom, then not sure why you are buying consoles anymore.

PCs advantages also bring about their disadvantages. Whereas console strength is one box for all. Both have their own advantages.
I keep buy because casual acquaintances of mine prefer consoles. And that's really the only viable use of consoles today. Casual use.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

If your on a budget, like most people, probably not. If your a bit more financially able, then yes, if you have the cash to spunk up the wall on a gfx card etc. overall, I'm happy with consoles still.

Mobilemofo

I'm a software developer and I play poker on the PC. How would that work on a 60 inch TV whitout a mouse or keyboard?
Voice commands. I mean, I operate my ps5 via voice commands, surely a poker game wouldn't be too hard to play via voice Comms.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
i guarantee you some players would gladly exchange the entire ps4/5 catalogue for some of these titles.
starring the last of us GIF

Edit: Clarification: pretty much all console exclusives

Last edited:

Lupin25

I keep buy because casual acquaintances of mine prefer consoles. And that's really the only viable use of consoles today. Casual use.

You don’t have to.

GTA 6 & DS2 aren’t coming to Pc day one.

Can’t blame people for not wanting to wait… And you pc-only dudes are moronically judgmental. Fucking nerds.

MikeM

Plenty of hardcore players on PS5. I don’t get the casuals argument at all. But do you man.

Sentenza

And you pc-only dudes are moronically judgmental. Fucking nerds.
What a fucking clown.

Also: "Oh no, waiting few months for GTA6. How will I be able to survive that?"
Ah, right: like for ANY other previous GTA release.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

but i guarantee you some players would gladly exchange the entire ps4/5 catalogue for some of these titles.

So many TRIPUL AAAYYYYSSS I would throw under the bus to keep this

Amazing how some peoples think that nothing exists outside of easy hand holding painted ledges and GPS mission marks blockbusters. The more these games are coming to Steam the more I realize I didn't miss much.

Guilty_AI

I dont understand why we keep getting this threads about "PC is best gaming platform"? If you are enjoying PC gaming then great but do we REALLY need multiple threads about this?

It feels like those crazy religious group that are desperately trying recruit more people to their cult.
ff101bc1-2519-48fe-8aad-5cb76267f23e_text.gif

bender

What time is it?
I dont understand why we keep getting this threads about "PC is best gaming platform"? If you are enjoying PC gaming then great but do we REALLY need multiple threads about this?

It feels like those crazy religious group that are desperately trying recruit more people to their cult.

My theory is that it is former console warriors who graduated to the PC platform and became the very annoying vocal minority who are often easy to spot with their unironic usage of PC Master Race. I still find them easy to pity as they missed the golden era of PC gaming.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Tbf, we're currently in quite the terrific era for PC gaming, for anyone paying attention at least.

Pricing aside, sure. I just have a parallel theory about gaming being better when games were made with platforms in mind. As budgets have ballooned and titles target just about every platform, games have been diluted. It's hard to get excited about those types of experiences no matter how you are playing them. Thankfully, PC is the easiest place to escape from modern gaming tendencies. My greater point is that experienced PC gamers rarely feel the need for the chest beating we see so often on this forum. The bright side is that those folks are easy to troll.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Pricing aside, sure. I just have a parallel theory about gaming being better when games were made with platforms in mind
When "games were made with platforms in mind", PC gamers missed out on Mario, Sonic, Castlevania, Crash, Spyro, Megaman, DMC, Metal Gear Solid 3, God of War 1-3, Gran Turismo 1-4 (though you still can't play GT on PC today unless you emulate), Halo 1-3, Gears of War 1-3, Forza 1-4, Forza Horizon 1-3, list goes on...... yeah no I'm glad PC gaming is in a better spot now.

bender

What time is it?
When "games were made with platforms in mind", PC gamers missed out on Mario, Sonic, Castlevania, Crash, Spyro, Megaman, DMC, Metal Gear Solid 3, God of War 1-3, Gran Turismo 1-4 (though you still can't play GT on PC today unless you emulate), Halo 1-3, Gears of War 1-3, Forza 1-4, Forza Horizon 1-3, list goes on...... yeah no I'm glad PC gaming is in a better spot now.

That knife cuts both ways.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That knife cuts both ways.
sure, PC had the most innovative FPS games and RTS games too as well as all of the mods. but the console titles were more numerous and popular, and had a greater amount of variety. You were genuinely missing out on a lot if you had a PC and didn't own a console in those days.

Nowadays though it's easy to buy a PC and Steam Deck and basically be covered for 98% of the new releases coming out (the 2% being whatever PS5 exclusives come out). Plus it's easier to make a system and if you're willing to have on par/lower performance than the consoles you can still build an OK budget build around 500-700 dollars.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
My preference for PC is also a bit biased as i've been using and loving computers for a decade now, i grew up on Windows 7, Windows XP and even Windows 8.1. Those interfaces feel more familiar and recognizable to me than any console I've had.

the amount of time i've spent on my Xbox 360, 2DS, and Wii U combined probably is not close to that to the amount of times i've been seen staring at the Windows interface. I like computers. 🤷‍♂️

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
When has that NOT been the case in the past 30 years?
when ocarina of time released on the N64 and not a single soul gaming on PC got to experience that beauty. Now you can play it on PC with even better visuals, support for all controllers, quality of life fixes and an actually good framerate.

Top Bottom