• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We're gonna kill 200,000 animals for religion! (And dinner... OMNOMNOM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coins

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091124/ap_on_re_as/as_nepal_animal_sacrifice

KATMANDU, Nepal – Hundreds of thousands of Hindus gathered at a temple in southern Nepal on Tuesday for a ceremony involving the slaughter of more than 200,000 animals, a festival that has drawn the ire of animal-welfare protesters.

A Nepalese minister said it was the largest sacrificial slaughter of animals in the world.

Protests have occurred in recent weeks in towns near the Gadhimai temple and in the capital Katmandu by animals rights activists and other religious groups. However, Hindu organizers refused to halt the slaughter saying it was a centuries-old tradition.

More than 200,000 buffaloes, goats, chickens and pigeons will be killed Tuesday and Wednesday at the temple in the jungles of Bara district, about 100 miles (160 kilometers) south of Katmandu, to honor the Hindu goddess Gadhimai.

But we have to keep doing it because we have always done it! Stupid religion.

fanboi

Banned
25a6cnq.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't like religion but we probably waste that much food every day in the states.

Wes

venison crêpe
In related festival news, shitloads of turkeys are going to meet their maker in the US shortly.

Enosh

from what I understand they are only sacrificing the blood (for good luck), but eating and selling the rest

soooo
1210195317432.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, I like how the OP forgot to mention this part:

The slaughtered animals are taken back by devotees to their villages and eaten during a feast. The meat is considered blessed and consuming it protects them from evil.

So basically they're having one hell of a party.

But by all means continue the religion-bashing hate train.

Leunam

chubigans said:

All is well.

Coins

Banned
chubigans said:

Critics say the killings — carried out by slitting the animals' throats with swords — are barbaric and conducted in a cruel manner.

Party time?

Evolved1

Coins said:
Why dont you tell me what a strawman is.

It's a logical fallacy.

Moving on...

All I asked you to do is present your argument. It would be easier for me to respond, and I wouldn't have to try and assume what your reasons are. Ironically... that way we might avoid a straw man.

operon

chubigans said:

Agreed this is a complete non story

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Coins said:
Party time?
And it's barbaric and cruel to slit the animals throats...ok, fine. So how do you kill an animal humanely? (honest question)

(edit: removed link to Food Inc., I was thinking of a different movie)

Evolved1

chubigans said:
So how do you kill an animal humanely? (honest question)

You hide behind the butcher's apron... buy your produce from a grocer, pretend they are killed humanely, and say "ewwwww" whenever there's a little too much blood in the packaging.

JoeBoy101 said:
I see your duck, but goat? Honestly, I haven't tried it, but strikes me as being a tough meat?

No quite the opposite. I've had it roasted in a Greek place and Curry Goat in a Jamaican place. :D

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
recklessmind said:
You hide behind the butcher's apron... buy your produce from a grocer, pretend they are killed humanely, and say "ewwwww" whenever there's a little too much blood in the packaging.
Exactly.

Zaptruder said:
Are they going to eat the animals they kill?
I don't think you understand what a sacrifice means.

to honor the Hindu goddess Gadhimai
And religion rears its ugly head. I hope a pissed off kangaroo kicks em all in the nuts.

ianp622

chubigans said:

Nevermind then. I'm ok with that.

operon

evilromero said:

And religion rears its ugly head. I hope a pissed off kangaroo kicks em all in the nuts.
Aye fuck if having a party is religion rearing its ugly head, whya re there so many athiests
on GaF

Jeff-DSA

chubigans said:

Yep. Most of GAF is worse than Fox News, just in the other direction.

Coins

Banned
If Christians got together in Dallas tomorrow and used sharp knives to slaughter 200,000 animals the outcry would be very loud. I dont understand why some religions get a pass and some dont. I cringe when I hear slaughterhouse horror stories. An animal should be killed in the quickest and most painless way possible. A bunch of people with swords and knives killing around 200,000 animals is going to result in a lot of pain for these animals. These arent professionals.

luoapp

ianp622 said:
Nevermind then. I'm ok with that.

Even if they don't eat them after the ceremony, what are you gonna accuse them for? Animal cruelty? Wasting? At least they are doing it for the higher cause (in their mind), which is much better than just for fun (hunting) IMO.

Jeff-DSA

Coins said:
If Christians got together in Dallas tomorrow and used sharp knives to slaughter 200,000 animals the outcry would be very loud. I dont understand why some religions get a pass and some dont. I cringe when I hear slaughterhouse horror stories. An animal should be killed in the quickest and most painless way possible. A bunch of people with swords and knives killing around 200,000 animals is going to result in a lot of pain for these animals. These arent professionals.

They won't tomorrow, but they will on Thursday.

EvilMario said:
Everyone should have to chop the head off a chicken, and gut a few fish in their lives.
Ha. Why is that? Honestly asking. I grew up in a hunter family and I would have to eviscerate the hogs and birds afterwards, cut their heads off as well. I think it's all exceptionally retarded.

ALeperMessiah said:
Sounds like a religious version of Thanksgiving.
U.S. thanksgiving is christian originated. but wide practiced as secular now.

evilromero said:

apparently so do intolerant hypocrites.

Evolved1

Coins said:

How about Christians in Dallas on Thursday? You think 200,000 turkeys is an overestimation? Do you know how turkeys are killed? It's not humane, brother. They stuff them upside down into a metal, funnel-looking contraption... pull their heads and neck through the narrow end and cleave it off. And that's by hand. The automation systems are even worse. Do you eat turkey on Thanksgiving?

Animals you eat have to be butchered. That's a requirement you cannot get around. Someone, or some machine, has to get blood on their hands.

You talk about professionals... but often the factory farms are actually worse than people doing it by hand, if you want to get all "moral" about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom