• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 5000 water buffalo slaughtered in a day during sacrifice festival in Nepal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lum1n3s

This doesn't trump the video I saw of an assembly line where baby chicks are inspected to see if they are male or female and the males get tossed peeping with panic and struggling into a metal funnel which ends with them minced into a bloody paste.

Am I doing this wrong? Oh okay. Fuck these poor brown people religionlol.

Oh you must be talking about that one scene where Steve is doing that in American Dad.

And also, that video was ugh. Especially seeing the bodies trying to move after what they did. Then again like everyone else is saying,them slaughterhouses be nutso =(.

Wasp

It's like the Holocaust but with animals.

In the distant future people will look back at 21st century history and be a appalled at the way we treated and mass slaughtered animals.

Valnen

In the distant future people will look back at 21st century history and be a appalled at the way we treated and mass slaughtered animals.

As long as the meat is getting eaten, this really isn't a concern.

Mulberry

My turkey lost his head to one of these delivered at 250 feet per second:

9843.png

He lived a life as a free wild animal and was killed in an instant humanly. Guilt free + delicious!
I gotta try one of those out next year.

But as log as people get fed from the slaughter, then it's a good thing.

Yes, because clearly, past events like this have brought so much prosperity to the Indian subcontinent.

What about the mother that lost her child. She is a poor person and her child being dead allows her to save more money.

Sounds like a lucky festival to me!

botty

Banned

Hmm.

No, but I do agree that a future version of our species will be appalled.

Animals die similar to the way they do in Western slaughter houses and the meat is sold to be used in food or other processing.

Lots of prejudice/cism/bigotry in this here thread.

The world will be a better place when people come to the realization that there are no gods and religions fade into history as something that was not is.

Woah, that's actually pretty impressive. Water buffalo are tough.

We these wild or raised? If wild, I bet that's great for local plant growth.

The world will be a better place when people come to the realization that there are no gods and religions fade into history as something that was not is.
All right then lol

Zeke

Not seeing the problem seems like they are using the meat so good on. Hell I bet the animals they slaughtered lived far better lives then factory farm animals here in the states. I also disagree with op about them using blunt objects. I don't think you realize just how strong and thick those bones can be. Those of lack of a better term sword seem plenty sharp for the job. There's a few that need a second go but for the most part it looks like they are going clean thro. I guess its shocking for most westerners since most are just ignorant about how their food gets to their plate.

Volimar

It's not anymore suffering than what animals that get shot by hunters go through. It's unfortunate, but if they use the meat, I can't get too upset.

q_q

If you eat meat you have no right to complain about this. Worse things happen to more animals in the US every year.

JJD

How many turkeys went the other day?

Though the method on display here *is* barbaric.

However, cattle etc who are dragged into 'humane' slaughterhouses shit themselves in fear. They know what's in store. Time for us to invent a method for growing meat (non-aware) in scale.

This is not true at all. If your country has the bare minimum meat processing sanitary requirements then cattle isn't killed the moment they arrive at the slaughter house/abattoir.

They are kept at least a day confined with no food at all (not even water in most places) so they will digest any food still in their digestive system and excrete everything out before they are killed.

By the time they make their way to the processing line their stomachs/intestines are empty and as "shit free" as possible. Still a small percentage of animals still get to the line with some shit in their intestines, but when they eventually shit it's got nothing to do with fear. It's just nature.

I've also seen people claim that cattle "cry" on the processing line when they "realize" or when they see what's happening, and while I've seen numerous cattle with watery eyes on the processing line this just occurs because most slaughterhouses have a very rigid and controlled environment. Temperature and humidity is kept as low as possible. Were I live it's not unusual to have 35 or even 40 degrees Celsius with very high humidity on the outside and something between 18 or 15 degrees with low humidity inside the slaughterhouse.

I speak from experience. I have never counted but if I was taking a guess I have probably overseen the deaths of more than 200.000 cattle. I don't do it as much as I did 12 or 13 years ago because I've got people to do it for me now, but I used to accompany the slaughter of most cattle I sold to the abattoir. There was a time when we were selling thousands a month. It's still the only way to be sure you're not getting robbed when they weight the animal, or reject one claiming any disease or contamination.

On the topic at hand, I can't honestly judge then, not even in regards to the method of slaughter. The slaughterhouse I sell to process meat to arabic countries as well so I'm sure some of my cattle has been killed by the halal method. The cattle isn't stunned before the kill, they just cut their throat with a single swipe with a really big knife.

Hmmm, I didn't know there were buffalo outside of North America....
EDIT: Damn that video, glad I don't live on a farm.

It's not that bad.

Xyber

While this might look awful, it didn't look anywhere near as bad as the shit that goes on in some slaughterhouses I've seen in other videos. At least this is a quick death, not being hanged upside down and drained of all blood while still alive or something.

And the meat is also eaten, so it isn't wasted.

In a perfect world we would be able to grow meat so no animals have to be slaughtered like this, but right now that isn't the case. It's awful to look at, but I'm okay with it as long as they are not sacrificed and then not eaten.

As long as they're eaten/non-meat parts of them being used for consumption, I would be okay with it. If you're a meat eater, you should be okay with killing animals. If this is a religious thing, it's even more murky. I wish they didn't do it, but I'm also not one to tell other cultures what to do. I'm sure other cultures are disgusted by my water consumption, power consumption, the amount I eat, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom