• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 5000 water buffalo slaughtered in a day during sacrifice festival in Nepal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...mal-sacrifice-ritual/articleshow/45318635.cms

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/28/nepal-kicks-off-mass-animal-sacrifice-to-stoke-goo/

KATHMANDU: Over 5,000 buffaloes have been slaughtered in a mass animal sacrifice festival in Nepal, believed to be the world's largest such ritual, despite efforts by animal rights activists to end the "barbaric" practice.

Tens of thousands of devotees, including from India, flocked to the festival, which is held every five years at the Gadhimai temple at Bariyarpur village in Bara district of southern Nepal. Worshippers believe the animal sacrifice, meant to appease Hindu goddess Gadhimai, brings them luck and prosperity.

5,000 buffaloes were slaughtered by some 400 slaughterers on Friday, the first day of animal sacrifice, according to police.Thousands of goats, pigs and chickens will also be sacrificed before the festival ends on Saturday. Organisers and the authorities defend the festival as a generations-old tradition, though animal rights activists decry it as barbaric.

WARNING: Graphic video link
I'm sorry but to me, this isn't freedom of religious expression but straight up animal abuse and inhumane slaughter. How anyone can honestly believe that tradition should allow this, I don't know. If you watch the actual footage, many are using blunt blades that don't even cut clean through, but basically break their neck as they scream out in pain. Not to mention the buffalo are just standing around watching everything from small calves to full grown adult buffalo slaughtered. There is nothing peaceful or prosperous about this.

Even worse is, that apparently, two people were killed during the festival as well. A child was separated from her mother and died due to the cold, while another elderly woman was trampled to death in a huge crowd.

Thoughts? Not only that but thousands of chickens, pigs, goats were scheduled to be sacrificed next. The only silver lining is that the Supreme Court of India stopped exports of water buffalo during the festival and that the numbers are drastically down compared to 5 years ago. In 2009, a total of 200,000 animals were slaughtered. The sad irony is, we just had Thanksgiving in the US, an event where turkeys are raised annually to be slaughtered for consumption. But they were done humanely and for food consumption, as opposed to religious sacrifice.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they at least eat the water buffalos after that. Would people be ok with this if they use more humane ways of killing and making sure the meat is eaten after? I think I would be.

Also, 5000 is a huge improvement from 200,000.

Madness

so what happens to the animals they sacrifice? do they burn them? throw them away?

A lot of it is supposedly eaten, but they've banned a lot of journalists and reporters due to bad press. The animals are killed so inhumanely and there are issues with hygiene as well. Remember, it's a Hindu festival and cows/buffalo are not exactly allowed for consumption for Hindu people. I'm not entirely sure what happens to the animals/hides, the organizers say they are given away or sold to people who can make do with their bones, hides, meat etc. I'd assume people who make leather would use them, but they're killed so inhumanely.

I hope they at least eat the water buffalos after that. Would people be ok with this if they use more humane ways of killing and making sure the meat is eaten after? I think I would be.

Also, 5000 is a huge improvement from 200,000.

That was 200k animals total last time, I'd assume once the goats, chickens, pigs are slaughtered, the number will be much higher.

Striek

Religion gonna religion.

It is crazy to see animals calmly standing amidst a literal field of carcasses waiting to be beheaded.

I have to wonder how many of the people there are doing it out of belief and how many just want to participate in the sadism.

One of the most barberic things I've ever seen. I want to be mad and I am from the spectacle but our meat industry probably isn't much better aside from most of that meat being for consumption.

Man

How many turkeys went the other day?

Though the method on display here *is* barbaric.

However, cattle etc who are dragged into 'humane' slaughterhouses shit themselves in fear. They know what's in store. Time for us to invent a method for growing meat (non-aware) in scale.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
One of the most barberic things I've ever seen. I want to be mad and I am from the spectacle but our meat industry probably isn't much better aside from most of that meat being for consumption.
It isn't better at all. But we sure love eating it.

smurfx

get some go again
one of my main problems is that a lot of the meat is going to go to waste. the meat industry at the very least makes use of most of the animal.

Herr K

Banned
How many turkeys went the other day?

Though the method on display here *is* barbaric.

However, cattle etc who are dragged into 'humane' slaughterhouses shit themselves in fear. They know what's in store. Time for us to invent a method for growing meat (non-aware) in scale.

about 45 million turkey, if peta is to believe.

And if you read this (which also contains a video), you'll realize the process for turkeys is extremely barbaric as well.

Religion gonna religion.

It is crazy to see animals calmly standing amidst a literal field of carcasses waiting to be beheaded.

I have to wonder how many of the people there are doing it out of belief and how many just want to participate in the sadism.

blurred lines.

Not gonna watch the video so I'll take the OP's word for it. If the bodies are properly made use of then it's hard to criticize the mass sacrifice, although doing so in a pretty fucked up way where the kills aren't clean is not good.

I wish religion it's self would just die. To me it's such an abhorrent social construct.
Let's not get out of hand here, while I understand where you might be coming from, I've known quite a few atheists who've enjoyed a burger as well.

soepje

The sad irony is, we just had Thanksgiving in the US, an event where turkeys are raised annually to be slaughtered for consumption. But they were done humanely and for food consumption, as opposed to religious sacrifice.
I think it´s in the range of possibilities that those water buffalo´s actually had a better life all the way up until the end.
http://www.businessinsider.com/a-turkeys-life-2009-11?op=1#ixzz3KY1AaL4E
Domestic turkeys aren't interested in sex, and even if they were, the size of their breasts would make it impossible. To get around this problem, major turkey breeders rely on artificial breeding
As soon as a hen lays an egg -- within one or two days -- the breeders inseminate her again. She can keep this up for around 25 weeks, at which point she is "spent,"
Hatching is only the beginning of a turkey's journey through industrial processing.

The chicks in this picture are being exposed to high-intensity light and partially microwaved to prepare for a routine surgery.

What surgery?

Having their beaks and talons cut off.

The beaks aren't necessary for eating, and they might scratch other turkeys. Same for talons. So off they go!
Thousands of turkeys are packed into a brooding barn, with only 2-4 square feet per bird, according to a report by the Humane Society. Over the course of three to four months, the turkeys get bigger and the space gets tighter.
When they get to the slaughterhouse, turkeys are hung upside-down on metal shackles by their legs and then stunned unconscious using an electrified water-bath system before they are killed.

According to a Human Society report, there's growing concern that the stunning process is inhumane, as birds experience stress and pain before, during, and sometimes after.

After their heads are submerged in the electrified "stunning tank," their throats are slashed by a mechanical blade. According to animal rights site Vegan Peace, "some birds are missed and continue on still conscious" as they're submerged in boiling water to remove their feathers.

Edit: Ah, i see Herr K got it covered already.

I wouldn't put US meat consumption and humanely in the same book.

One can just hope they're eating all the meat. Apparently 100,000 goats too.

Madness

The manufactured anger is great just after thanksgiving.

Did you even read my post or how the animals were slaughtered? I even mentioned the sad irony of how many turkeys were slaughtered for Thanksgiving. Saying things like "manufactured anger" is a nice hand wave of what was a pretty brutal and archaic religious slaughter. These animals weren't killed for food consumption first, they were done because certain religious people believe it was bring them good luck and fortune from god. Quite different than eating a turkey for a dinner that you most likely didn't kill yourself.

If you watch the video, you basically see 5000 water buffalo around a field where calves, adults are just hacked in the neck with large and often blunt blades that don't really kill them right away. It's quite brutal. It's not really anger so much as it is shock and disappointment at the sheer numbers and inhumane ways they are killed in at once. Plus, many actually seemed to be reveling in the ability to kill them.

Kabouter

Well, if they're eating most of them, I don't see how this is such a big deal. Like others have said, it's not like the meat we consume is produced in a particularly humane fashion.

Madness

Well, if they're eating most of them, I don't see how this is such a big deal. Like others have said, it's not like the meat we consume is produced in a particularly humane fashion.

We don't know if they're eating most of them. The way they are killed and the photos after, it seems they are just left in the field for a long time decomposing as well. Organizers say their hides and bones are shipped to places like India and sold etc. But no way to know. Additionally, it's a Hindu festival and cows/buffalo are revered, so it's highly unlikely they'd eat the "beef".

Surely you can see the difference in large scale animal slaughter in the US, and lining 5000 water buffalo in a field and just hacking away at their necks and backs with blunt blades.

Fiktion

Banned
We don't know if they're eating most of them. The way they are killed and the photos after, it seems they are just left in the field for a long time decomposing as well. Organizers say their hides and bones are shipped to places like India and sold etc. But no way to know. Additionally, it's a Hindu festival and cows/buffalo are revered, so it's highly unlikely they'd eat the "beef".

Surely you can see the difference in large scale animal slaughter in the US, and lining 5000 water buffalo in a field and just hacking away at their necks and backs with blunt blades.

3rd post says the meat is usually eaten or given to meat eaters to eat.

If you eat it, I'm okay with it, not gonna make a fuss about the how or why because that's a deep rabbit hole. If you kill an animal and waste it then we have a problem.

It's a 3rd world country. We can sit here in our first world shelter and cry about it and moralise towards these "barbarians", but in all honesty you aren't going to change things like this until you change the core attitudes of the society.

Daingurse

So the meat is going to use? I mean as fucked as this might look, the meat I and many others eat arguably suffered more, because of the factory farm system. Way more. I don't think I can condemn this without being a hypocrite.

V_Arnold

I am not okay with this, even if people eat the meat. Consequently, I am NOT okay with our civilization's meat eating habits either. I can live with the exceptions where the animals actually had a reasonably peaceful and okay life before a quick and painless kill. I wont support that either, but I can understand that. Yeah, it is more expensive. But the alternative what we have now is a blister in the face of humanity and on earth as well.

Madness

It's a 3rd world country. We can sit here in our first world shelter and cry about it and moralise towards these "barbarians", but in all honesty you aren't going to change things like this until you change the core attitudes of the society.

You're assuming a lot, and projecting here. No one said that. There are plenty of "third world' and "developing countries" where such practices have long been abandoned.

Again, I mentioned how many probably consumed tons of turkeys during Thanksgiving. But I'm assuming most of you haven't seen the photos and videos. I don't know if I can post them because they're so graphic. You literally see calves get hit with a blunt machete to the back of the neck and it's done nothing but basically shatter their neck and they're just writhing on the ground screaming when they start hacking as if it's a tree trunk.

Other photos from this event, people literally walk up calves, goats to statues of the deities, muzzle their mouth, slice with a rusty blade and just spray the blood on the statue as a sacrifice. All so they can be blessed with peace and prosperity from god.

But, eh, just wanted to share this. Get people's thoughts on it.

Kater

Banned
And here they are killed only to appease Ronald McDonald, the god of the western world.

I'm joking, please forgive me.

Seriously, the thing is, people here on the giant farms probably treat them not unlike the people there, maybe worse.

Edit: I wish we had some standards in how we treat them in their life before it comes to an end in general. No life in a dark cage full of fear while being pumped full of medicine.

-PXG-

Yeah. Religion is retarded...blah blah blah. Y'all ain't wrong there.It's barabaric, but at least most of carcasses are used for human consumption and not just waste.

And stop the high and mighty bullshit. Thanksgiving was the other day. First world nations, especially the US, do far worse, and on a bigger scale in a single day, every day, than this. Please.

But hey, they be delicious.

This doesn't bother me anymore than what we do in the US. We easily kill 10 times this many animals every day year-round. Is it just because they're buffalo people care so much? Is it the non-technologically-advanced methods they use to kill the buffalo? Is it because the meat is potentially not utilized as well as we utilize meat in the US?... and if so, who cares about the outcome of the meat, the end result is a bunch of animals were killed to appease some human desire. You think that buffalo is saying, "well shit, at least they're gonna eat me" before it is killed?

I mean, I eat meat. I'm just saying, I don't see the uproar. Yeah, I wish they didn't kill the buffalo at all, but it seems grossly hypocritical to call them out considering how much meat I eat each year. I have dead fish in my fridge, dead chicken in my freezer (breaded and boneless/skinless forms!) and a little broken-down turkey in my stomach still from last night's Thanksgiving leftovers.

-PXG- knows what's up.

If they don't cause needless suffering and eat the meat in the end. I don't really see what there is to be upset about.

They are raising the animals in farms not snatching wildlife.

Just because they don't have a bunch of nice bolt guns doesn't make it more barbaric. If anything these water buffaloes probably enjoyed a bit of open air and green grass compared to the dark and cramped conditions of most western factory farms.

Stop judging it by how it looks.

Sayad

People thinking it's fine with factory animals because they aren't killed as brutally should also think about how those factory animal lived their lives at factory farms.

fertygo

ITT People showing hypocrisy to yell "fuck religion".

Its a farm animal, there's people that eat it everyday. just because its a "big day" they slaughter more than usual, that its.

You american also had same kind of event that not under religion name, same shit.

Azih

This doesn't trump the video I saw of an assembly line where baby chicks are inspected to see if they are male or female and the males get tossed peeping with panic and struggling into a metal funnel which ends with them minced into a bloody paste.

Am I doing this wrong? Oh okay. Fuck these poor brown people religionlol.

jchap

about 45 million turkey, if peta is to believe.

And if you read this (which also contains a video), you'll realize the process for turkeys is extremely barbaric as well.

My turkey lost his head to one of these delivered at 250 feet per second:

9843.png

He lived a life as a free wild animal and was killed in an instant humanly. Guilt free + delicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom