• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z (PS4) gameplay video and interview

Inspired by his love of classic sci-fi anime and an appreciation for Halo's enemy AI, Jake Kazdal and his team at 17-Bit are creating Galak-Z: The Dimensional for the Playstation 4. Kazdal visited our office to show off the new game (and talk about his studio's history in this video) for a large feature in the latest issue of Game Informer. With an emphasis on player agency and taking cues from games like Metroid, Red Dead Redemption, and Fallout 3, Kazdal and his team are bringing the tight controls of the 16-bit generation and adding the depth and finesse of modern gaming for Galak-Z: The Dimensional.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...k-z-the-dimensional-s-roots-and-gameplay.aspx

This is one of the indie games Sony had on stage at E3.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is it a game about white chocolate?
galack.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
Looks like a lot of fun.

All these things he's mentioning as inspiration are awesome. Looking forward to this.

nib95

Banned
Watch the interview, seems like such a great evolution of these games. Love the idea of load outs, the free roam, the dynamic missions, being able to explore to more difficult non necessary areas to take on side quest bosses to get extra goodies etc.

gunstarhero

SO READY FOR THIS GAME.

But, man - Skulls took a painfully long time to come out. Hopefully the bigger team helps.

Himself

I'm probably more hyped for this, Outlast, Octodad, and whatever that drugged out psychedelic flying worm game is than any of the AAA stuff from PS4's launch.

Sho Nuff

Banned
looks nice

curious about the controls

It's NOT double-stick -- accel is on R2 and boost is on R1. Left stick controls rotation. Imagine a super jacked-up version of Asteroids.

Playing this on the finalized PS4 controllers feels oh so very good.

(BTW yes I'm working on this game)

nib95

Banned
It's NOT double-stick -- accel is on R2 and boost is on R1. Left stick controls rotation. Imagine a super jacked-up version of Asteroids.

Oh snap. Nice. Loving the sound of it so far.

On a side note, where are the gorgeous 1080p screens man? Hardly any shots of this game out there.

gunstarhero

A bit surprised he doesn't mention Armada for the Dreamcast. The open world shooter idea looks pretty similar IMO.

Anyone ever play that besides me? lol

No_Style

What I love most about indies like this is that they're not afraid to mention other great games that they use for inspiration.

taku

This game sure looks like fun! I do hope they change the art on that dude in the lower left corner though, ugh..

Toki767

You guys should listen to the 8-4 podcast after E3 where Jake was on. Hilarious story about him getting his game up and running during the Sony presentation.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You guys should listen to the 8-4 podcast after E3 where Jake was on. Hilarious story about him getting his game up and running during the Sony presentation.

Yeah it was really hilarious. He was lucky as hell that he didn't make a total fool of himself while on stage (his controller cord cable got stuck into the ground).

Afrikan

Can we expect these types of games to run in 4k? I want to get a 4k tv down the road (hdmi 2.0 version). But if there will be no 4k games, then i might just not wait too long and get one that Maxes out at 30fps...since at least Movies will still be supported.

Nosgoroth

Still looks so good. This is exactly my type of thing and if PS4 has some sort of timed exclusivity this game might be the tipping point for me next year.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Can we expect these types of games to run in 4k? I want to get a 4k tv down the road (hdmi 2.0 version). But if there will be no 4k games, then i might just not wait too long and get one that Maxes out at 30fps...since at least Movies will still be supported.

Considering that like what, 0.05% of the current population even owns 4K TV's right now, I don't think the games created right now will be displaying in 4K anytime soon.

Possible for the future though.

Cool beans man, I dig shmups and always wanted to play an open-world one. You said scifi anime are a big inspiration for the game. Regarding the story, are there any anime in particular you can pin it to quickly?

You know, there being this one that starts with an "M", or an "R" if you wanna get nasty ;)...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! This is one of my most anticipated games on the PS4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Whoa, I thought this was just a typical R-Type style scrolling shooter but this sounds awesome. Really unique combination of mechanics and world design.

I hope Skulls of the Shogun hits PS4 as well. Would love to try that too.

Spy

This game looks awesome but I don't like the design of the character in the bottom left. It looks cheap and straight from a flash game. Will buy regardless.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Cool beans man, I dig shmups and always wanted to play an open-world one. You said scifi anime are a big inspiration for the game. Regarding the story, are there any anime in particular you can pin it to quickly?

You know, there being this one that starts with an "M", or an "R" if you wanna get nasty ;)...

I'd say we are leaning very much towards the "M."

Top Bottom