• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banding: Does your PS3 have this problem? It's an easy fix!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
OK. I've just about had it. I picked up a 20GB at launch. Shortly after hooking it up to my TV I began to notice thick horizontal lines moving up the screen...sort of like when you see a TV on TV but not as dark/noticable.

I tried multiple sets of cables (a component cable, an hdmi cable, and the composite cable that came with the system) and multiple TVs and the problem persisted so I returned the system the next day.

I just picked up my replacement. This time a 60GB model. I hook it up and there is the same problem! I actually think this one might be even worse. Again, I've tried it using multiple cables and tvs.

I'm starting to think that all PS3s are like this and maybe people haven't noticed because honestly the chances that I would get 2 systems in a row with this problem seem pretty remote to me.

So what's up GAF? Does your PS3 have this problem? Is there a solution?

p01ar

GameTrailers
which game were you using? I had problems with Project 8. Are you running it through a system selector or straight into the TV?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
p01ar said:
which game were you using? I had problems with Project 8. Are you running it through a system selector or straight into the TV?

It does it everywhere...XMB, Resistance, RR7, Genji, and Talladega Nights. I'm running it straight into the TV (tried it with 3 of them).

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
I only noticed the elevating darkened bars during the first 5 minutes of the included BR movie but I swear it went away. I haven't noticed it while gaming or any other usage. This was on my 1080i RPHDTV - I'll test it again tonight on a 720p LCD when my buddy brings the PS3 back over.

Edit - the 1080i set was hooked up with my tempermental (ummm broken) Monster component cables. On PS2 they automatically lighten and darken and lighten the image or lose one of the colors from time to time.

Raistlin

I have not had this problem.

Considering it is happening on all inputs, I'm wondering if it is AC noise? Can you try running an extension chord to an outlet on a different circuit?

I had this problem with some component cables I had used from my PS2. I got HDMI cables and there is no longer any problems. But for some reason regular DVDs overscan at 720... Sony needs to patch this thing ASAP!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This problem is likely the fault of many different factors (TV, PS3, and the quality of your electricity). It sounds like a ground loop problem.

I used to have this problem back home at my parents old house (on all TVs) with the original XBOX and I have seen it occur with XBOX and XBOX360 (no other systems) at various other places. The severity varies a bit location and I found that certain sets would not cause it (out of maybe 10 sets, only a Sony CRT managed to avoid it for some reason). I've never seen it occur at my apartment, thankfully.

Jim

When testing, try putting the ps3 and tv on different power strips or outlets. If you have an electrical or loop prob, this can sometimes isolate it.

BuddyC

After adding the PlayStation 3 to my setup, I began noticing banding issues with not just the PS3, but all of the systems hooked up through the system selector. For my case, I've resolved it by either bypassing the system selector and hooking things directly into the televsion or by unplugging / fiddling with the component video connector from the back of the PS3, neither of which provide a convenient solution.

Short term, I'm looking into a better system selector. I bought a new one from Wal-Mart last week that made the bands less noticeable, but still present. I might check out Radio Shack later, see if they have an affordable-yet-higher-quality switch box.

Long term, I'm moving in the spring, meaning all of my systems and their respective cords won't be shoved in the corner of a tiny room as they are now. Even though I'm running everything from two different outlets and two different power strips, I have a feeling the proximity of everything is also a factor here.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
dark10x said:
This problem is likely the fault of many different factors (TV, PS3, and the quality of your electricity). It sounds like a ground loop problem.

I used to have this problem back home at my parents old house (on all TVs) with the original XBOX and I have seen it occur with XBOX and XBOX360 (no other systems) at various other places. The severity varies a bit location and I found that certain sets would not cause it (out of maybe 10 sets, only a Sony CRT managed to avoid it for some reason). I've never seen it occur at my apartment, thankfully.

Thank you!!! This was precisely it!

I typed 'ground loop' on Google and did some research. Apparently a lot of the times the loop is caused by your cable tv wire. I disconnected the cable wire from my television and the lines went away. I need to buy a cable tv ground isolator (a little device that goes between my cable wire and my tv) to be able to filter out the noise and keep everything hooked up at the same time. They seem to be pretty cheap though.

Again...thank you. I was losing my mind over this.

BuddyC

Baron Aloha said:
Thank you!!! This was precisely it!

I typed 'ground loop' on Google and did some research. Apparently a lot of the times the loop is caused by your cable tv wire. I disconnected the cable wire from my television and the lines went away. I need to buy a cable tv ground isolator (a little device that goes between my cable wire and my tv) to be able to filter out the noise and keep everything hooked up at the same time. They seem to be pretty cheap though.

Again...thank you. I was losing my mind over this.
Holy shit.

I spent days troubleshooting the problem. I've rewired my entire setup multiple times, adding new power strips, moving the location of cables, purchasing and testing out different system selectors. I've wasted hours attempting to solve this, and I never thought of that.

And I think I've made use of the cable in that room maybe once since I moved in; out it goes.

I love you.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I find it kind of hard to believe that Sony didn't include a ground isolator in the PS3. I mean, come on.

mintosen

my synthesizers suffers from groundloops.
how to solve that, is to just flip the ac-cord 180 in the poweroutlet.. voila fixed.

papercut

BENSERO1.jpeg

Took them years to solve that problem.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ground loop problem is a bitch. I had a very audible broom sound through my amp/speakers because of it, and it was caused by cable TV. When I plugged everything through one of those APC surge arrest / power filter extension cords, the problem went away.

220_fam.jpg

I also used that little ground loop isolator thingie for a while, but I eventually gave up on it, as it was attenuating the TV signal, and some channels appeared with more noise because of it. No such problems with this extension cord.

evil ways

Looks like the PS3 doesn't get along with coaxial cables. I disconnected my cable tv antenna and the lines & humming sound are gone. Thanks Gaf.

*back to Resistance*

Sysgen

Just want to thank the folks who participated and contributed to this thread. Had this problem as my cable box was sitting right to next to my new PS3 and I was perplexed. Looked all over the net but the answer was right here at GAF. Put my cable wire into the coax receptor on my surge protector in my entertainment center and another wire out from the SP to the cable modem and problem solved.

Top Bottom