• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 1 - Play it, because it is filled with awesome

Victrix

*beard*
PK98a.gif
Join the GAF Guild: Gaf Port Beggars[gaf] - ask Tommy Bostaff/Bocaster/Bodaciou for an invite.
PK98a.gif

What is it?

Guild Wars is a massively single player* online rpg created by the wizards at Arena Net

*(I'm kidding. Sort of.)

I'm not reading all those words!

If you read nothing else, read this:

First, check your preconceptions at the door. This is not WoW. This is not any other MMO you've ever played. Approach it like you're playing a strange new RPG, keep an open mind and dive in.

Second, DO NOT START IN PROPHECIES. I strongly recommend beginning with Nightfall. Factions is acceptable. You can complete the newbie area in Factions or Nightfall and bail to another campaign if you so choose, as you will be level 20 by the time you finish with it.

With that said, I *do* recommend that you create your first new character in Prophecies and play the pre-searing 'tutorial' portion (you'll understand what I mean when you finish it). It serves as a nice, gentle introduction to the game, and the area is both completely beautiful, and totally inaccessible to all other characters.

Third, grab your heroes. There are a bunch of quickly and easily accessible heroes early in Nightfall, and several more that can be acquired immediately in Factions and Prophecies (when traveling there from another campaign).

Fourth, join a guild. I don't care what guild. Just join one. You need that background chatter, even if you aren't playing with them constantly. I recommend joining a forum guild from a forum you know, but failing that, just up and join whatever random guild you can find in-game. Be ruthless about this. If the guild sucks the least bit, LEAVE. You lose nothing, just join a new guild a day until you find one you like. You owe stupid guilds nothing, and there are plenty of cool guilds in the game.

Play, enjoy, have fun.

XxHi3.jpg
arQWl.jpg

Ok so what's this post about then?

Given the interest in Guild Wars 2 floating around the internets right now, I figured it would be worth devoting some time to a post describing Guild Wars 1 for people who have never tried it (or tried it in the past, but never really got into it).

This is not a megapost on every aspect of the game, as there are a wealth of resources out there if you want a general overview of the game.

Instead, this is intended to be a proper introduction to the game - ie, stuff I wish I had known when I was trying to play it, or wish I had known when trying to get my friends to play it.

QAT0S.jpg
hDShQ.jpg

And the game?

Guild Wars is a huge (huge) online RPG. It has massive amounts of PvE content, and a very fully developed, fleshed out PvP experience.

The PvE content includes three major Campaign storylines: the original Guild Wars, known as Prophecies, the first standalone expansion, Factions, the second standalone expansion, Nightfall, and the final 'normal' expansion, Eye of the North.

In addition, there are hundreds of side-quests, regular daily and weekly quests, seasonal events, and dozens of in-game achievements to tackle.

Guild Wars does have "dungeons" of a sort, but don't think of them as any sort of analog to WoW instances. They are, like so much of Guild Wars, distinct from most other online rpgs out there.

w0VXF.jpg
SOXIw.jpg

Sell me on the game

Sure, here's some cool features about the game that I love:

Zero Inflation: I list this first because it's one of my very favorite parts of the game.

• The level cap is 20. It was 20 when the game started. It is still 20.
  • A top end sword has a damage range of 15-22. It swings every 1.33 seconds. This is the same as every other top end sword in the game. The same holds true for every other weapon in the game.
  • Top end armor has an armor value of 60, 70, or 80 depending on your profession.
  • Health and Energy levels are carefully controlled. Every character has the same base Health and Energy at level 20 depending on their profession.
  • Your attribute points cap at 200. You earn 170 points at level 20, and the remaining 30 are earned through a game-specific quest.
  • You can equip 8, and only 8 skills.

Why is this so important and so awesome?

It means that PvP comes down to skill, build, and teamwork, equipment has no part in it.

It means there has been zero inflation of player power, so PvE content has been tuned throughout the entire game to an expected level of power. It is possible to activate 'Hard Mode' for any area or mission in the game, cranking up the enemies levels and toughness, meaning that you can fight through challenging foes no matter where you choose to explore, or what missions you choose to tackle.

It means that all skills for all professions have all been tuned around expected levels of Health, Energy, and equipment power.

Amazing tech team: This is an under the hood thing, but it's still damn nice. In all the years I've played Guild Wars, I can count on one hand the number of times I've had PC Gaming issues, weird bugs, or any other sort of problem.

On top of that, Guild Wars has badass streaming tech. You can download the client on a PC without the full game, and it'll simply download new areas as you enter them, on the fly. The same goes for other player models/textures/etc.

Patch day? Yeah, no. You can be playing the game and receive the message "A new build is available, please restart Guild Wars!". You restart Guild Wars, and that's it. Or you don't, if you choose not to. Whatever. Have fun!

Ten different professions: Ranging from the recognizable Warrior to the entirely unique Ritualist and the stylish Dervish, there is something for everyone.

Hundreds and hundreds of skills: Every profession has dozens of skills, there are over a thousand skills in total in the game. Just how many? Click this link: WARNING LOTS OF IMAGES!

Multiclassing: You can take _any_ profession as your secondary class, giving you full access to all of its skills. Don't think of this like DnD multiclassing, it is effortless and simple to use. In essence, multiclassing opens up the ability to splash another class to gain access to a few key skills that complement your favored build.

PvP Characters: You can create a character as PvE or PvP. PvP characters are limited to playing PvP only, but they begin at max level, can be instantly outfitted with a full set of basic gear, and full upgrades can be easily and quickly earned by playing PvP.

Incredible ease of play:

• Instant travel, anywhere in the world, at any time.
  • Instant free respeccing.
  • Save and load skill and attribute configurations in any town or outpost. Download or share builds with a simple text code.
  • Extremely rapid leveling. You will hit max level in a few hours once experienced, a few days as a newbie.
  • Effortless gearing. Max stat gear can be acquired with minimal difficulty.
  • Heroes. AI companions that can be equipped and fully customized. You can fill your entire party with Heroes and complete 95% of the PvE with them if you choose to do so.
  • Universal storage. All of your characters can access your 'bank' in any major outpost, so you can freely swap or mule items as needed.

An Amazing World: The world of Tyria has been created from whole cloth by Arena Net. There are no orcs, you don't kill rats in a mine as your first quests. The world is populated by a great number strange and unique creatures, as well as riffs on mythological creatures from different real-world cultures.

The major conflicts in Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North are all against unusual and interesting foes, and they take you across the length and breadth of the world, from idyllic grasslands and forests to blasted wastelands, snowy mountains, steamy jungles, coastal shores, arid deserts, and many, many more.

You also explore some truly stunning and unique environments, including an entire ocean turned to Jade, and even other planes of existence.

Unbelievable art direction: Anet has won a lot of awards for their art team, and for good reason. Their concept artists are some of the best in the business, and their production team has done an incredible job of converting some of their best work into locations that you can explore in the game.

faLXa.jpg
ymNwf.jpg

Ok that sounds kind of neat, but...

Yes I know, if all gear is the same, where's the rpg fun?

First, for weapons and armor, players hunt not for items with better stats, but rather, for items that look cooler. There are hundreds and hundreds of weapons and sets of armor that can be mixed and matched and dyed to create your own particularly pimp looking character.

Second, as far as customization goes:

• Every single weapon and piece of armor in the game can be modded.
  • For most pieces, this means a prefix, a suffix, and a base mod.
  • Your character can wear five pieces of armor, and a two handed weapon or two one handed items.
  • You can swap instantly between weapon sets.

Third, your 200 attribute points can be divided up (and changed) however and whenever you want. Each profession has several primary skill lines, and a unique skill line that is exclusive to your primary class (ie, while every class can be used as a secondary, your primary class determines which unique primary skill line you have access to). You can focus on two skills, spread to three easily, or even dabble in four at a time.

Finally, remember all those dozens and hundreds of skills? You can only equip 8 at a time, and you can have any profession you want as a secondary, soooooo. Go hog wild experimenting.

Oh, and don't forget - if you're doing the wholo 'solo' rpg with 7 heroes? Every one of your heroes has the same equipment you do, the same attribute points, the same skills, and the same ability to take a second profession. So multiply all that customization, item acquisition and item modification by 8 (or more, really, there are north of 25 in-game heroes to acquire).

Oh uh... and you can actually use your _own_ characters as Heroes if you want. Yeah.

RNiuB.jpg
3T30L.jpg

Ok ok, but surely there are *some* bad parts

Indeed, that there are.

In terms of PvE:

First off, Guild Wars had a major, major focus on PvP (hence the name), and that was one of the initial reasons behind the whole zero inflation thing. Which is cool - but it also meant that their overall PvE experience early on was rather... lackluster.

That is much less true today than it was then, but a lot of areas of the game are less appealing from a pure PvE challenge standpoint than say, WoW dungeons. GW does have 'dungeons' and it does have 'raids', but they have nowhere near the depth or variety that WoW dungeons do.

On balance though, normal world exploration and mob bashing are no more or less interesting than any other mmo, and configuring your character (and/or your party of heroes) and experimenting with builds to tackle different areas of the game is quite fun.

Second, Prophecies had one of the absolute worst introductory curves I've ever seen in a game. The intro area is beautiful, but the blasted wasteland you are dumped into soon after is a hellish contrast, and you have to _slog_ through hours and hours of exploration and missions, which were at the time, rather difficult. Today, they aren't as difficult, but it's still a huge slog to progress to 20 and the later areas of the game.

Ironically, Prophecies has the longest campaign, and taken as a whole, it is quite cool - but not as a new player, and not as an introduction to the game.

ANet realized this, and Factions launched you to 20 much more quickly, but it had a significantly shorter campaign.

Nightfall though, finally nailed it - quick and even progression to 20, a very expansive campaign, and the addition of Heroes to the game made the PvE experience tremendously smoother, and Heroes made tackling missions in Prophecies or Factions that were either difficult or extremely annoying without other players much easier.

Heroes.

Originally, you could only add 3 Heroes to your party, meaning that you needed 2 'real' players to max out a group (8 player max for regular areas, 2 players + 6 heroes). This was recently changed, so it is now possible to have a party of yourself and 7 heroes. This also opened up the majority of the game to be accessibly soloed.

Heroes were/are a double-edged addition to the game however. While they mean that you can treat Guild Wars as a huge single player rpg, they also mean that there's basically no need for players to group to tackle content.

As a new player, this can lead you to feel extremely isolated, especially because Guild Wars is _not_ a singular persistent world, every mission and explorable area is an instance, so if you don't go out of your way to join a guild or make friends, you can play for hours without interacting with anyone else - which isn't a problem if you're expecting it, but can be jarring if you're used to hi-lar-ious trade chat while jumping in place waiting for your 45 min dungeon queue to pop.

And I suppose if you just absolutely cannot live without increasing your damage output from 1k to 5k to 10k to 100k, Guild Wars probably isn't the game for you. (I'll tell you a secret though, there's no difference between 1k and 100k if the enemies have 10k or 1m health, shhhhhhh).

Finally, the one feature that the game does not have that genuinely sucks: No Auction House. Yes, this blows just as much as you might think.

There is a very active in-game market in Kamadan (the 'beginner' Nightfall city), and you can use forums/this tool to check prices, but it does quite suck.

http://argos-soft.net/GwEstimator/

There are in-game vendors for all common materials and armor upgrade parts, as well as max stat items and consumables, but more exotic items must be purchased from other players directly.

There's nothing you ever _need_ to buy from another player to do and see everything in the game, but there are times where it is convenient to acquire certain items from players, and that means ye-olde-everquest1-EC-tunnel-tradespam. Archaic and awful, sorry!

JWAcf.jpg
QDGqm.jpg

Alright, I got it. I'm interested. Now what?

First, you can buy the game directly from NCsoft, or grab it on steam.

Free Trial: http://www.guildwars.com/freetrial/

NCSoft Store: https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?action=toggleCategory;category=4

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/29570/

These are all Trilogy packs, so you get the first three standalone games, but you need to purchase Eye of the North separately later. If you enjoy the game, you can always grab it later, you aren't missing anything without it (it is quite good, and worth buying once you're ready though!).

HhH5b.jpg
YJi1z.jpg

Ok but how do I play this thing?

The wikis for this game are exhaustively detailed, and have information on literally every aspect of play. Use them!

And of course, feel free to ask questions in this thread, there are plenty of veteran GW players on GAF.

The official wiki: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

The unofficial wiki (note: Do NOT use the wikia wiki, it is not used by the community anymore): http://www.guildwiki.org/Main_Page

PvX wiki (again, do not use wikia): http://www.gwpvx.com/PvX_wiki

PvX is a wiki devoted solely to class builds. There are PvP, PvE, and Hero builds for everything in the game, from general all purpose builds to specific areas or challenges. If you're totally befuddled as to what to use, hit up PvX, grab a generic build for your class, and go to town. You can tinker and experiment freely, remember, free instant respecs!

NZkb9.jpg
iRwX0.jpg

Still to come:

PvP details - a few gaffers want to add some PvP love, I'll stick it in this post when it's ready.

Any other major questions people have.

7ldcv.jpg
cNzAw.jpg

Last Words

This is our place to talk about GW1, instead of the GW2 thread, so have at it.

Again, this is *far* from an exhaustive look at the game, Guild Wars is a huge game, but I know a lot of people tried it and were turned off for one reason or another, and it's very much worth the effort.

Give it an honest shot, and have fun!

Victrix

*beard*
ZiUOM.png

What is the Hall of Monuments

The Hall of Monuments is an instance inside the Eye of the North outpost (and thus requires the EoTN expansion to access) that allows the player to display certain items, titles, and heroes.

The hall is divided into 5 sections which each accept specific things and upon your first visit you won't be able to use most of these areas. By completing parts of the EoTN storyline you will be rewarded with monumental tapestries which allow you to place and view things in each section. It is also possible to purchase tapestries from other players for a few platinum.

Each character on an account has a separate hall, but progress for the purpose of GW2 rewards is tracked account wide and there is an account view mode offered by one of the NPCs in the hall.

How do I get stuff in Guild Wars 2?

Each item, titile, or companion that you add to a monument works toward getting you points which unlock items with special skins in GW2.

Visit the Hall of Monuments webpage to view your current score and see what you need to add to get more points. Typically the first item added to a monument grant 1 point and additional points are available for certain specific items.

After that, points are awarded at certain milestones and the milestones tend to get farther and farther apart as you go. Points come fast in the beginning, but slow as you go.

What do I actually get for this?

You get specially skinned items, ranger pets, mini pets, and titles available only to players through the Hall of Monuments. You can see the concept art of all of them in the link in the last section. Each item unlocks at a preset score (so no, you don't get to pick and choose).

Only the first 30 points grant tangible items while the remaining 20 after that grant a title for every five points. According to what I've read a player in GW2 can create as many of each Hall of Monument item that they want, though they can't be traded.

There will also be a way to transfer one item's stats to a hall of monument reward item (much like with transmutation stones), though last I heard they hadn't decided on the exact implementation.

More info

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/comprehensive-hall-monuments-guide-t10454341.html

http://www.guildwiki.org/Hall_of_monuments

xxczx

I've been thinking for days to start playing it again.

I have two accounts though, one with just Prophecies and another with Factions, Nightfall and EotN.

Trouble is, I forgot everything about the second account including what e-mail I signed up with. I still have all the key activation cards though (not for Prophecies since I bought that on Steam) would NCsoft support be able to help?

Great OP though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I've put a few hours into it since the Steam Summer Sale. I've got a Ranger/Warrior that I'm not really liking that much so far so I'm thinking about starting a new character.

Do we have a GAF guild or anything? I really need to find myself a guild.

Glad to see someone starting a new GW thread :D

Aeana

I'm considering diving in since a friend has a spare account. I dunno why I never really bothered before now.

etiolate

Banned
I would like to reemphasize that new players should start with Nightfall. Pre-searing Prophecies is pretty cool, but post-searing is so blah and you can tell they really advanced in PVE design when you play the later chapters and expansion. Nightfall also gets you heroes and those are very important.

You can play Guild Wars like a solo RPG where you set up your party and micromanage them or you can play cooperatively with others, or a mix of the two.

You know I only have the first Guild Wars, I never got the expansion despite the fact I love the game so much and probably would put it in my top 10 rpgs, That's how much fun I had with this game....I probably should buy those expansions.

Helmholtz

As someone who has 50/50 and GWAMM in GW1, I agree that it is filled with awesome. It's unlike any other RPG out there, and it has loads of cool content.
I also second the notion of new players starting in Nightfall. I'm very much of the opininon that Eye of the North has the best and most polished content, but of course you have to finish a campaign to experience it, and starting with Nightfall is the best option. However, I also encourage people to try starting out in Prophecies at least once, because it has a seriously awesome starter area that you can only go to when you make a new character. I also have fond memories of the world, characters, and settings in prophecies, so I highly recommend people check that out too. Factions, while good, has always felt like more of an expansion to me, so people should check it out after having finished one of the other two campaigns.

Seda

Helmholtz said:
As someone who has 50/50 and GWAMM in GW1, I agree that it is filled with awesome. It's unlike any other RPG out there, and it has loads of cool content.
I also second the notion of new players starting in Nightfall. I'm very much of the opininon that Eye of the North has the best and most polished content, but of course you have to finish a campaign to experience it, and starting with Nightfall is the best option. However, I also encourage people to try starting out in Prophecies at least once, because it has a seriously awesome starter area that you can only go to when you make a new character. I also have fond memories of the world, characters, and settings in prophecies, so I highly recommend people check that out too. Factions, while good, has always felt like more of an expansion to me, so people should check it out after having finished one of the other two campaigns.

To summarize, I recommend one of these paths: Nightfall > Prophecies/Factions > EOTN, Prophecies > Nightfall/Factions > EOTN, or just do a campaign followed by EOTN. All of these campaigns offer something new and have much different environments, enemies etc...

I only have 32/50 of something like that, stopped bothering with it because the only rewards after that are titles.

I loved the game, such a time hog though. Not buying GW2 because of that.

I'm back to playing this right now but one of the final missions in Nightfall is driving me nuts. I get the final boss down to a sliver of health and get wiped every time. When you played through prophecies at launch it was fun to do the missions with pick up groups or whatever but now you really do want the heroes from Nightfall and Eye of the North to play the PvE content. Although if you do that and don't have the skills unlocked on your account they really can be sort of bad compared to the regular henchmen.

Helmholtz

Seda said:
I only have 32/50, stopped bothering with it because the only rewards after that are titles.

I loved the game, such a time hog though. Not buying GW2 because of that.
For sure, I wasn't initially planning on getting 50/50. However all I needed was the maxed titles, and I was getting back into the game so I figured I might as well go for them. As grindy as getting a lot of those titles is, I still found it to be a lot of fun.

More Fun To Compute said:
When you played through prophecies at launch it was fun to do the missions with pick up groups or whatever but now you really do want the heroes from Nightfall and Eye of the North to play the PvE content.
Agreed. The interaction with other players in PVE is what really got me into the game in the first place, and the fact that most players have moved on from missions/quests is a bit of a bummer. The game is still perfectly playable with heroes/henchmen though, but I highly recommend people find a good, active guild to help them out when they need it. It's very easy to find a guild these days, just go to a popular outpost like Kamadan/Lions Arch and say you're looking for a guild.

Emitan

YES. I love this game but I never get far because my friends stop playing. You can basicly play it as a co-op RPG because it's not really an MMO.

Aeana

Got the account, made a character, downloadinggggg.
Don't really like the idea of having to download areas on the fly, but I found out about the -image command line switch that apparently downloads everything at once, so maybe I'll try it once this download is done.

Helmholtz

Billychu said:
YES. I love this game but I never get far because my friends stop playing. You can basicly play it as a co-op RPG because it's not really an MMO.
Yep, it's basically a co-op RPG, but it's now perfectly soloable as well due to the addition of 7 hero parties. Basically instead of having lobbies, there are outposts where you can meet up with other people, trade with people etc...

Aeana said:
Don't really like the idea of having to download areas on the fly, but I found out about the -image command line switch that apparently downloads everything at once, so maybe I'll try it once this download is done.
The good thing is that once you've downloaded an area, whenever you load it again it's near instantaneous.

etiolate

Banned
Some clarification on PVP only characters:

When you create a PVP only character, they are level 20 and have access to max armor and weapons and a handful of skills. The only way to unlock the skills and armor/weapon mods is through earning faction or unlocking them in PVE. Faction is the reward you get for doing things in PVP such as a kill or victory, or completing a daily quest for PVP.

Played this a ton back in the day.

Would be fun to hop back into with a new guild, but I refuse to leave my current one in the off chance that my RL friends give in and decide to play again.

Helmholtz

Tguy said:
What classes did yall use? I went with Ranger/Necromancer
My primary character is a Warrior, I've logged ~1700 hours on it. I have some other characters though: Monk, Assassin, Dervish
Those have basically completed one campaign each; my warrior has finished everything.

Zod the Bear said:
Played this a ton back in the day.

Would be fun to hop back into with a new guild, but I refuse to leave my current one in the off chance that my RL friends give in and decide to play again.
You can always designate one of your friends as guild leader and leave. Be careful though:
"If a guild leader has not logged in to the game for 60 days, they will be automatically demoted and replaced by the officer with earliest join date (according to the status window)."
I highly recommend joining an active guild. It can make playing the game way more enjoyable, just from having people to talk to.

Orayn

Currently playing Nightfall, currently using a Warrior named Radd Coolfellow if anyone wants to add me. For max level characters, I've got a Ranger near the end of the Prophecies campaign, a Paragon approximately 3/4 of the way through Nightfall, and a Necromancer and Ritualist a friend leveled on my account, both of which are an indeterminate way into Factions.

Aeana said:
:|, I never knew about this!
Helmholtz said:
My primary character is a Warrior, I've logged ~1700 hours on it. I have some other characters though: Monk, Assassin, Dervish
Those have basically completed one campaign each; my warrior has finished everything.
Damn, nice, I might just buy that trilogy and try to get back into this game..

etiolate

Banned
You can also find guilds via the guildwarsguru forums.

Here's some more helpful links:

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/

PVX (FOr Build Wars)*

http://pvx.wikia.com/

*PVX has gotten out of date. Most of the Dervish builds feature skills that have completely changed.

Argos
http://argos-soft.net/GwEstimator/

Argos acts as a sort of out-of-game price check and AH. You can enter in something you are looking to sell or looking to buy and Argos will return with the latest trade channel advertisements for your search. The search is based on Kamadan's trade channel, but its become pretty standardizing for pricing of items.

Helmholtz

etiolate said:
Argos acts as a sort of out-of-game price check and AH. You can enter in something you are looking to sell or looking to buy and Argos will return with the latest trade channel advertisements for your search. The search is based on Kamadan's trade channel, but its become pretty standardizing for pricing of items.
Argos is insanely useful. You can basically avoid being ripped off by other players.

Tguy said:
Damn, nice, I might just buy that trilogy and try to get back into this game..
At the very least I think people should check out Eye of the North after they've completed one of the campaigns. It ties into GW2 and is just all around pretty awesome.

Keiician said:
I've tried playing GW recently and everywhere was so... Empty. Guess I won't get my titles/whatever for GW2, tough luck.
The reason everything is so empty is because most of the playerbase has moved on from doing quests/missions, particularly in the earlier parts of the game. Most people are doing end game content like dungeons, Under World, Domain of Anguish etc...
If you want to do quests/missions with human players, you pretty much need to join an active guild that is willing to help you with that stuff. There are a lot of guilds that are focused on helping people finish up their HoM right now.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've tried playing GW recently and everywhere was so... Empty. Guess I won't get my titles/whatever for GW2, tough luck.

Emitan

Redownloading the game now and will play with GAF peeps. Don't know which class combo I want to be this time. Any recommendations? Maybe Wa/Ele for pure damage.

Concept17

Played this many years ago when it was all Vanilla. You really can't play it with your typical MMO expectations because, well, its really not a MMO.

I never really got into the PvP (which is all I care for in MMOs) but the 100s of items and customization I'm hearing about sound awesome. Gonna see if some friends might be interested.

Grinchy

Banned
This is one of those games that made me hate the fact that I didn't have a gaming-capable PC when it was out. I would play my PS2, secretly wishing I could play games like this instead.

Emitan

Made a warrior named Billy Chu. Add me! Thinking of picking Elementalist or Monk as my secondary. Monk would be awesome for Paladin goodness.

An-Det

I played a ton of the game the first few years it was out. Not so much the last few, but I loved the game. I've been trying to get back into it to work on the HoM stuff and dig into EotN content that I never did, but it's so barren now.

I cant wait for GW2.

etiolate

Banned
My first character was a Mesmer, apparently some 75 months ago. My time played is 2317 total. Playing a Mesmer in PVE is not easy, but ti taught me a lot about the game and other classes, and prepared me better for stepping into PVP. I think melee characters are easier for the current Hero based game, as it makes it easier to target call and position the group to block mobs from your backline. I mostly play my Dervish now and taken him through Factions, EotN, Nightfall and am sludging through War in Kryta now.

Reikon

I borrowed my friend's account (no GW2 goodies for me), but I'm willing to play with any Gaf members. Is there a Gaf guild?

oneils

Thanks for this. I played GW back when it came out. However, I mainly played solo and hit a a wall about maybe half way through the original campaign.

The hirelings were not good enough to get me through that hump. Also, after 10 failed attempts at joining random groups to pass a particular mission I ended up shelving the game.

Good to hear that that bit has improved. It is too bad I missed the Steam Sale, though! I guess I will wait for another one.

Great post!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So is it bad to start with Prophecies? It sounds like the game has improved a lot since then, but for the sake of going through the story chronologically isn't it best to start with Prophecies?

Tomat said:
So is it bad to start with Prophecies? It sounds like the game has improved a lot since then, but for the sake of going through the story chronologically isn't it best to start with Prophecies?

The start of Prophecies is a nice introduction to the game in my opinion but the other two sort of flow better. Eye of the north references events in prophecies and is set on the same land mass.

Emitan

I'm already experienced with the game but have never played the expansions. Should I just start with those with my new character?

Reknoc

Been trying to get into the recently for the HoM stuff since I barely touched any of the EotN stuff. Could be fun to start a new character to play with some Gaffers though.

Ourobolus

Banned
I was so hyped for this when it originally came out. Bought it day one, then played it for 3 years straight at least. My college roommate and I eventually came up with an awesome 2-man Necromancer build, and we'd loan ourselves out to people doing Tombs runs. So much fun, man.

I loved Prophecies, Factions was pretty good, but I started getting burned out with Nightfall and never finished it. Haven't touched GW since, but I had a bunch of fun during and I can't wait for GW2.

My favorite builds were my:

Super-Fast Crit Assassin - (can't remember the Elite Skill, but it guaranteed crits), who would run in, had shit for armor, but would kill anything in a matter of seconds.

PBAoE Elementalist - Phoenix and whatever the other PBAoE Fire spell were. Drove other players nuts when I would run into the middle of a mob, unload a flurry of 4-5 spells, then run out, relatively unscathed and everything dead.

2-man Necro build - I played Spiteful Spirit, my buddy played Summon Minions/Death Nova/Blood is Power. The first mob was always the biggest pain, but after that it was golden. He was really good at targeting minions (don't know if it was ever fixed, but you used to have to manually select the name above each minion's head to target them), so he's turn them all into time bombs while I Spiteful Spirited each enemy, calling for a BiP every now and again so he could make my energy recharge really fast. So good.

Other than that, I really enjoyed each class, except for Warrior and Ritualist. They had their upsides, but they really weren't my playstyle. Even though I never had a fantastic build for them, Mesmers fucking rock! Loved playing as them.

Anyway, for anyone diving in, have fun! I'll see you in GW2!

Helmholtz

Tomat said:
It's not necessarily bad; I started with it, as did everyone else who bought the game Day 1. It's just that Nightfall has arguably better tutorials, better pacing, better visuals. It also has Heroes, which are AI companions that you can fully customize to help you through quests and missions. I personally like prophecies the best out of the 3 main campaigns, but most people find that it's too long and drags on in parts. If you have a lot of patience then by all means go for prophecies. Keep in mind that the stories are, for the most part, separate from eachother. There isn't a lot of continuity between campaigns.

My in game name is Rice Krispy Square - I'm not on nearly as much as I used to be, but anyone can feel free to talk to me/ask me questions if they like. Let me know you're from gaf.

Valnen

It means there has been zero inflation of player power, so PvE content has been tuned throughout the entire game to an expected level of power. It is possible to activate 'Hard Mode' for any area or mission in the game, cranking up the enemies levels and toughness, meaning that you can fight through challenging foes no matter where you choose to explore, or what missions you choose to tackle.
It also means you quickly reach a point at which there is 0 progression, defeating the purpose of playing entirely.

At least that's how I felt when I still played. I hate PvP and hated the way the game controlled so it wasn't the game for me.

Jira

Great post. The game isn't for everyone and like he said check your expectations at the door because this isn't an MMO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832197013

That is a link to Eye of the North for $6 with free shipping, however it is currently out of stock. They may or may not get more in stock.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

This will be your friend, there is an astronomical amount of information to be had in the game, so much that even after 300 hours I'm still finding out about types of content I had no idea existed such as 12 man elite areas.

Top Bottom