• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 1 - Play it, because it is filled with awesome

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I played a few months of PvP back when Guild Wars first launched. I'm back on board thanks to the recent Steam Summer sale and some friends who showed interest. We opted to start in Prophecies to wean the new players through Pre-Searing Ascalon.

I kind of tore through all the available solo quests in the area, and now I'm just waiting for my buds to show up so I can either help them through their quests, or trek on through the (apparently not-so-great) content to come.

Victrix: I saw that you recommended going through Pre-Searing in Prophecies, but then switching to Nightfall after completing that. Did you mean to start a new character in Nightfall, or find a way to trek your Prophecies character over to the Nightfall area?

BreakyBoy said:
Victrix: I saw that you recommended going through Pre-Searing in Prophecies, but then switching to Nightfall after completing that. Did you mean to start a new character in Nightfall, or find a way to trek your Prophecies character over to the Nightfall area?

Don't you pick your character and then pick the campaign from a menu? You can just bop out of Prophecies and into Nightfall at any point, I think...

Victrix

*beard*
BreakyBoy said:

You'd have to switch characters - I was recommending pre-searing only if you're a totally new player, just because it's a really gentle introduction to the game.

Otherwise, just start straight with Nightfall and go from there.

You can travel from campaign to campaign, but while Nightfall and Factions both let you hop on a boat and change campaigns quickly, Prophecies requires you to grind through a bunch of missions before you reach the port city - it's possible to have your character run to that port by someone else, but it's not something you can do on your own if you're starting alone.

Again, I'd *strongly* recommend you do not go through Proph with your friends, do Nightfall first.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
sparky2112 said:
Don't you pick your character and then pick the campaign from a menu? You can just bop out of Prophecies and into Nightfall at any point, I think...

Yes, that is how it works, but it was my understanding that once you leave the (exclusive) initial tutorial areas in each campaign, you can travel to the areas made available by the other campaigns.

Randy

Great thread, Victrix. /subscribed

Little question though: To follow the storyline, isn't it more logical to begin with Prophecies? That's one of the main reasons why I'm currently working my way through Searing.

Aeana

As one of the friends Breaky's talking about, I started in Nightfall not even knowing the rest of them had started in Prophecies, but after reading your post, Victrix, I don't really want to. You made it sound really unappealing!

So far I'm a level 4 elementalist in Nightfall.

Victrix

*beard*
BreakyBoy said:
Yes, that is how it works, but it was my understanding that once you leave the (exclusive) initial tutorial areas in each campaign, you can travel to the areas made available by the other campaigns.

This is correct, it's just that the exclusive area for Prophecies is pre-searing, but AFTER you get out of it (to post-searing), there are still several missions and a lot of miles between you and Lion's Arch, the city that lets you access the other campaigns.

By comparison, Factions and Nightfall both drop you in their respective ports after you finish their tutorials.

Not only that, while Factions and NF both level you to 20 far, far faster than Proph, and give you access to more skills, NF also gives you quick access to heroes, max stat armor, max weapons, inscribable weapons (not important initially, but you'll learn its importance as you play), and a few other features.

Again, it's not that Prophecies is a *bad* campaign, far from it, its just that you're so sharply limited in skill selection and power, as well as lacking Heroes until you get to Lion's Arch that it can be a really offputting experience. I believe you'll have a lot more fun starting with NF, and then either jumping ship to head to the other campaigns, or simply diving into the rest of NF.

After you've developed your character, heroes, and gear, your options open up a lot, and you'll have a better feel for the game as a whole.

Aeana said:
As one of the friends Breaky's talking about, I started in Nightfall not even knowing the rest of them had started in Prophecies, but after reading your post, Victrix, I don't really want to. You made it sound really unappealing!

edit: If you are playing with a good group of friends, playing through those early missions in Proph is not a total chore, playing anything with friends is fun ;) But even then, the rate of skill acquisition in Proph is still way slower, and a good part of the fun is customizing your character, which you can do more quickly in NF. And again, quicker access to Heroes, which is a big deal, because the Henchmen suck quite hard.

Randy said:
Little question though: To follow the storyline, isn't it more logical to begin with Prophecies? That's one of the main reasons why I'm currently working my way through Searing.

The campaign stories are largely isolated from one another, so you're not going to be 'confused' by traveling from one to another. EoTN is the only true 'expansion' expansion, the other three are essentially standalone. There are a few tiny story elements that link Proph/Fac to the end of NF, but they're not a big deal in comparison to the rest of the stories.

BreakyBoy said:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Campaign_travel

You have to reach the "main hub" in each campaign before being able to travel to the other campaign regions. Depending on which campaign you start in, this can either be a very easy, or a somewhat time-consuming, thing to accomplish. Because Prophecies has such a lengthy tutorial phase and a long beginning, getting to Lion's Arch without aid of a runner can take a while. With Factions, reaching Kaineng City is meant to be a long journey; but once you're able to leave the tutorial island, you can deviate from the story and get there after reaching Marketplace. Nightfall starts you off in Kamadan, but you have to do most of the tutorial island missions and quests before you'll get the option to travel... UNLESS you ask somone to ferry you to the Consulate Docks location to get the option. Ferrying is a common request in Kamadan. Reaching the EotN lands requires access to the "main hub" locations too, so all of the above applies there as well; you also have to be a Level 10 for the quest to appear.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Alright, since my Necro is doing nothing waiting around for my friends, I'll be starting up a Dervish in Nightfall sometime soon. In case my friends don't want to have to start over, how tough is it to run a group of people who just completed Pre-Searing Ascalon to Lion's Arch?

I'm thinking I might be able to build up the Dervish a bit while my friends catch up. Maybe Aeana can help. :p

YoungHav

Banned
How much time of inactivity until arenanet delete's your characters? I haven't played this in 5-6yrs and would like to boot up again.

lol I quit because I felt like I was addicted and swore of MMORPGS.

Victrix

*beard*
BreakyBoy said:
Alright, since my Necro is doing nothing waiting around for my friends, I'll be starting up a Dervish in Nightfall sometime soon. In case my friends don't want to have to start over, how tough is it to run a group of people who just completed Pre-Searing Ascalon to Lion's Arch?

I'm thinking I might be able to build up the Dervish a bit while my friends catch up. Maybe Aeana can help. :p

Easy, but you need someone who's max level and knows the route. You can pay someone for the service, or, if you can manage to coordinate the timing, just bug someone here on GAF to help out, it only takes 15-20 minutes or so for the whole run.

If you've got a significant group of friends playing Proph and they're having a good time, by all means, continue - I'm just describing my personal experience and opinion with the various campaigns.

YoungHav said:
How much time of inactivity until arenanet delete's your characters? I haven't played this in 5-6yrs and would like to boot up again.

Never, as far as I know. Recovering your account might be tricky. Hit up NCsoft support and poke around.

I've been trying to get back into this again, but my biggest problem is the fact that I just keep running out of money to buy new skills. I keep taking breaks from the NF campaign to quest purely for monetary reasons so I can afford new skills or signets of capture, then it's another sidetrack to hell's precipice or whatnot to go boss hunting.

The one bit that keeps tripping me up is when I go into the area looking for an elite skill for my hero but go with the wrong class. That marks twice that I've gone into an area as a R/Rt looking for necro skills. Get to the boss, kill it, then cry softly and teleport back to town. :p

Also, for the vets in here, any tips on beating Destruction's Depths? I gave up after a few hours of trying...it's one of those areas where you can go from +2% to -60% real fast (the norn room on level 2... *shudder*).

gunbo13

Victrix, can we compile a list of user names in the thread? I can invite everyone to a gaf guild so you can at least communicate. It is called "Gaf Port Beggars[gaf]" BTW so you can trust that. Guild hall is bought. I'm Tommy Bostaff/Bocaster/Bodacious.

I'd be also willing to run PvP nights for vets and new players. I ran a ton of strats for all PvP and would just need to get a feel for the current meta/skill balance. As long as we have a few vets to provide stability, newcomers can do fine. I heard in another thread about all the rank bias going on in HA. I don't give a shit about winning anymore so this is how we can bypass that. Taking small groups into RA is even easier. We can cover basics via build variety and stress different mechanics. Observer mode in other arenas can also be used to check out what other people are doing.

Also, a lot of people stated that GW2 will have little relation to GW1. It is clearly going that route but understanding PvP in general is very important.

Let me know (would need to find a mic).

EDIT:
If anyone needs money I'll donate a bunch of my stuff so you can sell it. Just give a bit back so I can buy guild hall upgrades or whatever. I have a bunch of crap. ;)

I'll also play PvE if I have time.

Victrix

*beard*
Not too many were posted, but here's the ones I spotted:

Double Latte, Radd Coolfellow, Billy Chu, Rice Krispy Square

I also added the guild name/your names to the top of the OP.

gunbo13

Victrix said:
Not too many were posted, but here's the ones I spotted:

Double Latte, Radd Coolfellow, Billy Chu, Rice Krispy Square

I also added the guild name/your names to the top of the OP.
I'll send invites tonight.

Everyone else, post up your user names. Also, it would be helpful if people describe what they play, how long, etc... We can use this thread as a way to allow people to experience the game without the PvP bias or PvE learning curve/hurdles.

I also need veterans. I'm currently post battling other vets in the GW2 thread but maybe we can make peace. I'm primary monk but if I run PvP then I need a replacement. Either that or a vet strat caller who I can level with. I'll play when I can. Though, I am still putting most of my gaming time into DMC3SE. Dem combos. ;)

Does anyone know of a good gaming headset? I used to have a plantronics and it is broken. I would like to amazon a new set today if possible. Thanks.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Arthras Stark is the Necro/Monk I have in Pre-Searing Prophecies.

We're starting our own little guild, so I don't think I'll join you guys, but anyone can message me if you see me around.

I'll post again when I make my Dervish in Nightfall.

BrettWeir

Looking for others that are needing/wanting to kill The Great Destroyer (EotN). For the life of me, I just can't do it, even with Heroes.

Warrior - Amy Payce

gunbo13

BreakyBoy said:
Arthras Stark is the Necro/Monk I have in Pre-Searing Prophecies.

We're starting our own little guild, so I don't think I'll join you guys, but anyone can message me if you see me around.

I'll post again when I make my Dervish in Nightfall.
Whose "we?" By all means if you guys already created one, let me know if you are willing to open it up. If not, how about an alliance at the least?

BrettWeir said:
Looking for others that are needing/wanting to kill The Great Destroyer (EotN). For the life of me, I just can't do it, even with Heroes.

Warrior - Amy Payce

Pain Inverter is your friend....

And don't interrupt him when he's about to hide in the ground, just beat him down until he shows his head again.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
gunbo13 said:
Whose "we?"

As indicated earlier in the thread, Aeana is certainly invited whenever our guild leader gets back on, since he signed her up on his old account. However, she's free to do as she likes. Especially considering everyone else is on Prophecies and she's on Nightfall at the moment. The rest are mostly non-GAFfers anyway.

gunbo13 said:
By all means if you guys already created one, let me know if you are willing to open it up. If not, how about an alliance at the least?

I'm not really in charge or anything, but my understanding is that we were looking to do a small private guild. Alliance maybe, but I kind of doubt we'll open it up. I may be way off-base though. I'll bring it up to them.

Besides, if initial interest is any indication, we'll be at best a casual, somewhat infrequently playing bunch, so you won't be missing much. Part of the attraction of Guild Wars is the fact it is a one-time fee, with no recurring cost, which means we can play at our leisure without feeling like we're throwing money in a pit.

gunbo13

BreakyBoy said:
I'm not really in charge or anything, but my understanding is that we were looking to do a small private guild. Alliance maybe, but I kind of doubt we'll open it up. I may be way off-base though. I'll bring it up to them.
An alliance is helpful just to keep track of fellow players. It's up to you guys, I'm not particular.

I guess we will go with the guild in the OP. If you don't get an invite soon, PM me. I'm sure I'll have a few minutes tonight to invite but not sure about playing.

I'm also still looking for gaming headset recommendations if anyone has any.

Emitan

I've started playing as a Dervish named "Billy Choo". I feel like this class is sort of complicated with the whole "buff yourself and then remove them for more utility" system, but it's really cool.

Loxley

Last I checked, there was no way to jump in Guild Wars. This is an unforgivable omission, one that ArenaNet has thankfully rectified in Guild Wars 2.

Emitan

Loxley said:
Last I checked, there was no way to jump in Guild Wars. So for that, I can never forgive ArenaNet.
Every game needs a jump button. Every game. I feel like I'm just clicking without it. There's no way to get immersed. I have no idea why I need to constantly jump up and down to feel immersed, but there it is.

gunbo13

Loxley said:
Last I checked, there was no way to jump in Guild Wars. This is an unforgivable omission, one that ArenaNet has thankfully rectified in Guild Wars 2.
/jump

Used for what is called a "jump test" when organizing spike builds and structuring your team lag. 3-2-1(/jump)

I know what you mean though.

etiolate

Banned
BrettWeir said:

Warrior - Amy Payce

Make sure to bring breath of the great dwarf and stick some party heals in your group and Extinguish.

Enosh

the PVP in this thing is the best one I ever played in a MMO (well I didn't play a lot of them, but still)

especialy the clan fights
have some great memories from that one

PVE is kinda "meh" compared to the WoW raids
my main was a Ranger/Monk in PvE
played preaty much everything in PvP except Monk/x (can't heal for shit), but was still the best at my Ranger, especialy Ranger spike, loved that shit

still missing the last expansion and kinda didn't get far into nightfall, idk, was kinda too much into WoW at that point

Helmholtz

Loxley said:
You can't jump in a lot of games, see mass effect or the witcher. Doesn't stop them from being great games (imo). Guild Wars 1 doesn't require you to jump, and the game was built with that in mind. I do agree that jumping and swimming are awesome, and clearly ANet does too after seeing what they're doing with movement in GW2.

gunbo13

Invite Statuses
Reknoc Tar
Ersofal Kane (already member of a guild)
Amy Payce
Double Latte
Radd Coolfellow
Billy Chu
Rice Krispy Square (already member of a guild)

This should provide at the least an area to communicate. Post user names and updates if you want.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Helmholtz said:
You can't jump in a lot of games, see mass effect or the witcher. Doesn't stop them from being great games (imo). Guild Wars 1 doesn't require you to jump, and the game was built with that in mind. I do agree that jumping and swimming are awesome, and clearly ANet does too after seeing what they're doing with movement in GW2.

Unforgivable in WASD-controlled MMORPGs, imo.

Victrix

*beard*
No way, best part of GW is you can damn near play it one handed - enable nearest enemy autotarget, alt and ctrl for visibility, shift for target nearest item, tab for next enemy, bind a key to nearest enemy, and tada, push skills or spacebar to attack a facing enemy, hit next/nearest enemy if theres nothing in front of you, then push spacebar or a skill. Dropped loot? Tap shift, hit space.

When running through easier content, I often played on my laptop while doing something else. Reminds me of jrpgs that let you map the a button to the left shoulder, you can lounge and play them - same story here.

For those who cannot help but jump everywhere though, it takes like a week before the urge wears off :p

Again, check your preconceptions at the door, this is not WoW.

Emitan

gunbo13 said:
Invite Statuses
Reknoc Tar
Amy Payce
Double Latte
Radd Coolfellow
Billy Chu

This should provide at the least an area to communicate. Post user names and updates if you want.
I decided against my Assassin (Billy Chu) and decided to try a Dervish (Billy Choo) instead so everyone should add that name (if that matters, I don't remember how friends work).

BrettWeir

etiolate said:
Make sure to bring breath of the great dwarf and stick some party heals in your group and Extinguish.

Thanks! I'll have to go collect that quest (Breath of the Great Dwarf)

gunbo13

Billychu said:
I decided against my Assassin (Billy Chu) and decided to try a Dervish (Billy Choo) instead so everyone should add that name (if that matters, I don't remember how friends work).
It shouldn't matter, it is an account invite.

More Fun To Compute said:
Done

I'll definitely pop in every now and again for some good times. In game name is "Sara Noree", I main a Ranger and been playing off and on since the first global beta, but still never managed to beat all the campaigns. I usually ended up playing for about a month at a time and then got bored. I hope with the HoM craziness I can stay dedicated a little longer. In a guild at the moment, but feel free to add me for fun times.

gunbo13

We appear to be mostly on a PvE interest at this point and people are exploring the systems. I'm very much OK with this because I was grimacing observing PvP tonight. Talk about a step down and then a fall down the stairs. I feel like even winning wouldn't come with victory...

Therefore, if anybody is stuck on a quest or wants to do an elite, etc... post a request here. I'll be willing to jump into other PvE games as well if I'm online. Just ask because if I'm online, then that's why I'm there. I have literally no care to do anything on my own accord and will just do a bit of monking to relax/help.

Posting questions here is also warranted.

PvP seems to take a very large commitment to do really well in. When I first played at launch I enjoyed playing the random 4v4 matches for a while until I got bored but the step up in commitment to hall of heroes, never mind guild vs guild, was too much.

On the other hand with PvE now there is just so much content that you can do solo that there really never seems any urgent need to team up. There are a couple of things that I could use some help with but I enjoy helping other people more.

Maybe when enough get a character we like to level 20 we can arrange a meet up and just do some PvE mission then see how it goes.

gunbo13

More Fun To Compute said:
PvP seems to take a very large commitment to do really well in. When I first played at launch I enjoyed playing the random 4v4 matches for a while until I got bored but the step up in commitment to hall of heroes, never mind guild vs guild, was too much.

On the other hand with PvE now there is just so much content that you can do solo that there really never seems any urgent need to team up. There are a couple of things that I could use some help with but I enjoy helping other people more.

Maybe when enough get a character we like to level 20 we can arrange a meet up and just do some PvE mission then see how it goes.
I'm more then willing to help. I can take a monk hero as well and do all the up-keep. PvP is probably not going to happen since it is quite awful. When I was on yesterday it took about 5 minutes to figure out the meta and then see that awful battles of attrition remain. It was so godly once upon a time...

I simply still enjoy monking. So if anybody wants a monk so you don't have to worry about it in your PvE party, just give me a shout if I'm on.

Helmholtz

gunbo13 said:
Invite Statuses
Reknoc Tar
Amy Payce
Double Latte
Radd Coolfellow
Billy Chu

I can leave my guild, but I'm going on vacation for two weeks starting Friday so now probably isn't a worthwhile time anyway. People can feel free to add me if they want, though I haven't been playing nearly as much as I was when I was going for GWAMM.

Helmholtz

Billychu said:
So can WoW. You can still jump.
This isn't WoW, and it isn't an mmorpg. I was just responding to the post saying it's a WASD controlled game; while you can use that control method it is entirely optional.

One of the best hacker stories...

No highlights just read it all....
http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/dear-hacker-t10490916.html

Dear XXxxXXx Hacker XXxxXXXx or whatever your name is,

I have played Guild Wars since the day it launched. It is true that I did not play it faithfully. Indeed, months would pass while I was distracted by “other” MMOs – EQ2, Rift, even (I confess it!) WoW – but I would always return to Tyria, to my ranger Aerynne and her beloved pet cat, Cuddles.

Together we would wander the scorched wastelands, the frozen tundra, the lush jungles – struggling to stay alive and complete every bonus mission. We were a team – we were not strong, or all-powerful, or rich; we did not own rare weapons or priceless crafting goods, tomes or exotic inscriptions and runes. But we were happy, just the two of us and the occasional NPC monk, the wind at our back, the sun in our face – free to explore this bold, beautiful world.

Until you came, like a thief in the night, like a snake in the grass, like a wolf in expensive but slightly gaudy armor. You, who hacked my account and consigned my Aerynne to the dustbin of deleted toons. It was with mounting distress that I attempted in vain to access my account this week past – oh, the horror! I shall never forget those evil words, emblazoned across my monitor: Password Retrieval – FAILED; the “secret questions” I did not recognize and could not answer. (Just what was your childhood nickname, anyway? Apparently, it was not a55h0l3 or 5Hi7H3ad.)

Finally, with the help of my original computer disks/codes and the helpful staff at NCSoft, I was able to lay claim to my account once more. Imagine my feelings – the grief – when I logged on to find my Ranger and her various alt friends gone, all gone, replaced by a family of XxXXxxxX alts.

I am now moving through the various stages of grief –denial, anger, bargaining, depression and, finally, acceptance. I have cursed you, wished various evils upon you, shaken my fist at the heavens and hoped you, somewhere, were feeling my wrath. But anger must give way, and the sight of my new Ranger Trevi, now a resident of Elona and about to set sail on adventures of her own, has brought me a measure of peace.

So I forgive you. For that, we can thank Trevi and the calming influence of Elona and my Sunspear sisters. Well, that and the bags and bags of green and gold weapons you left me, the stacks of rare crafting materials, the tomes, potions, figurines, runes. Honestly, who really needs multiple sets of Mallyx and Stygian weapons? Forty stacks of glittering dust? And how many globs of ectoplasm does one really need? And thanks for all the faction – did you know that was account bound?

I wish I could say I felt a pang of guilt as I stripped, then deleted, all your oh-so-uber level 20 toons. I wish I could say it, but I cannot. I really, really, cannot.

Pejo

After reading this thread and looking at screen shots of GW2, i jumped back in today and purchased the nightfall expansion. I remembered playing a Paragon during the beta phase (maybe? i remember a preview for current members) and loving it.

After doing the tutorial to re-familiarize myself with the controls and basic concepts, i'm now in the nightfall starter city, and still totally forgetful and confused on what exactly to do next.

Anyone in GAF around level 4 in the nightfall campaign? Also, i seem to have inherited a guild, as i'm the guild master of it but there are only my other characters as members, and I have no issue leaving this guild for a GAF guild, but again, not sure how this whole thing works.

Top Bottom