• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 1 - Play it, because it is filled with awesome

Emitan

Pejo said:
After reading this thread and looking at screen shots of GW2, i jumped back in today and purchased the nightfall expansion. I remembered playing a Paragon during the beta phase (maybe? i remember a preview for current members) and loving it.

After doing the tutorial to re-familiarize myself with the controls and basic concepts, i'm now in the nightfall starter city, and still totally forgetful and confused on what exactly to do next.

Anyone in GAF around level 4 in the nightfall campaign? Also, i seem to have inherited a guild, as i'm the guild master of it but there are only my other characters as members, and I have no issue leaving this guild for a GAF guild, but again, not sure how this whole thing works.
I'm level 6 I think in the same general area. Just add Billy Chu.

This game is so awesome. I played it back in elementary school, and am now a senior in high school. That's how cool it is. A shame I can't play it anymore, because all I have is a Mac.

colormage1

Neo Member
I randomly reinstalled in on my laptop last month and after spending hours trying to remember my password logged in! Such a surprise.

I saw my characters and got so nostalgic.

The reason I stopped playing was because my guild fell apart and had nobody to play it with.

=(

If there is any interest in a GAF guild, that'd be amazing.

I wish the game was more successful, it did so many things so perfectly.

Victrix

*beard*
Helmholtz said:
It was very successful. Over 6 million units sold.

One of the devs mentioned that they're near 7mil now, so yeah, it's no slouch.

I've been screwing around with a Warrior - I played an Ele on launch, and he was always my most progressed character. Took a Ranger through Factions, discovered I hate Ranger for PvE, took a Derv through Nightfall and loved it, now I'm messing with the Warrior.

I'm just now discovering the joys of Dragon Slash and 100 Blades spamming :V I'll probably do some Warrior's Endurance energy spam build too, with broken EotN skills.

Really, really spammy play though, I like the comparatively more sedate/thoughtful pace of Dervish combat. I tried out Assassin briefly, but it didn't jive for me that much.

Oh, and the best part - now I have someone to give all my cool unique weapons that have been rotting in storage for years :D

I really really need to either run a Ritualist through Factions/NF, or secondary Rit and plow Factions again - my Rit skill selection is terrible, and so many of their skills are useful for Heroes.

tehbible

I played lots of Guild Wars back during my college years.

Ended up being in the #1 Guild for a good while.

I was Wa/Mo (best combo ever)

gunbo13

tehbible said:
I played lots of Guild Wars back during my college years.

Ended up being in the #1 Guild for a good while.

I was Wa/Mo (best combo ever)
Troll?

At least say you played a ridiculously over-powered W/E gale warrior. Now that shit was hilarious.

BrettWeir

Ok. My Google-fu sucks. Every video I see of a solo Warrior/Rit soloing The Great Destroyer on Youtube has 105 hp. How the hell do they even accomplish this?

I have the 3 monks setup as suggested by quite a few sources. Just can't narrow down the 105 hp.

An-Det

BrettWeir said:
Ok. My Google-fu sucks. Every video I see of a solo Warrior/Rit soloing The Great Destroyer on Youtube has 105 hp. How the hell do they even accomplish this?

I have the 3 monks setup as suggested by quite a few sources. Just can't narrow down the 105 hp.

Probably similar to the 55 monks that rocked shit years ago. Use all the -75 hp runes to pump stats (no +hp ones), used the enchantment that makes it so you lose only 10% health at a time, and then do a constant heal spell to offset. Kinda curious about the /Rit side though.

An-Det said:
Probably similar to the 55 monks that rocked shit years ago. Use all the -75 hp runes to pump stats (no +hp ones), used the enchantment that makes it so you lose only 10% health at a time, and then do a constant heal spell to offset. Kinda curious about the /Rit side though.

Spirit of shelter gives you the 10% cap.

gunbo13

I think I wrapped up my DMC playing for...ever maybe. I'll probably pop on the next few days. Hope nobody got insta-bored and jetted. ;)

BrettWeir

An-Det said:

Here is what I've been attempting to use....with nothing but failure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6RxI1CYM7E

Rit due to Mystic Regen and Fleeting Stability.

i might sound lame but...
i'm having problem with nm hell's precipice..
is there anyway to force npc to attack a specific target? because my party just randomly focus someone and we die...
focusing a titan when there's one more titan AND 3 fucking spark of titans (pansy little goblins that dish 160ish per spell) is beyond stupid, even for npc...
if i could go with my usual minion master build i'd have no issue, BUTTTT last prophecies missions have a desolating lack of corpse with most opponents being either undead or elemental, thus little to no cannon fodder for a minion master build..
after spending like 10 attempt on this mission i'm willing to accept any help for running it...
never played necro in pvp, but i had no idea that pve necro had it so hard on those last missions....
or maybe it's just that the game isn't really designed to be played with npc either :X

if anyone has any advice or feels like running me through this one and only mission..
btw my build is the canonical
arcane echo/spiteful spirit + plague sending

with
mark of pain as an additional aoe spell for nasty elite with adds/minions :p
barbs since i usually run a melee heavy npc setup.. now i'm trying to run with a mixed setup (jora, ogden, gwen, vekk, healer, fighter, brawler).. if you have any different setup in mind feel free to counsel, but those are the only heroes available to this char.
suffering&shadow of fear because aoe condition is made of awesomeness
insidious parasite to ease some pressure off healer at least for myself

I'd either take a signet of oppression or a signet of lost soul for energy management but they're further in :p and with 10 in soul reaping my being energy starved is quite rare..

Victrix

*beard*
ctrl+spacebar or ctrl+skill to mark a target, your AI companions will attack that target immediately

BrettWeir said:
No. I'm doing it with the setup in the youtube link. Myself, 3 Monk/Necro Heroes.

Are you trying to make it harder intentionally? If not, fill out the rest of your party and look up any number of builds on http://www.gwpvx.com/PvX_wiki

Fishious

witchedwiz said:
is there anyway to force npc to attack a specific target? because my party just randomly focus someone and we die...

Press Ctrl and dbl click on an enemy to call target on a specific enemy and your henchmen and heroes will target him. If you have heroes in your party you can have them target a specific enemy by using the option in their skill bar, but I find it kinda clunky and hard to do in the heat of battle.

Can't really help you with the necro stuff since it's not my cup of tea.

Aaaaand beaten...

witchedwiz said:
with
mark of pain as an additional aoe spell for nasty elite with adds/minions :p
barbs since i usually run a melee heavy npc setup.. now i'm trying to run with a mixed setup (jora, ogden, gwen, vekk, healer, fighter, brawler).. if you have any different setup in mind feel free to counsel, but those are the only heroes available to this char.
suffering&shadow of fear because aoe condition is made of awesomeness
insidious parasite to ease some pressure off healer at least for myself

I'd either take a signet of oppression or a signet of lost soul for energy management but they're further in :p and with 10 in soul reaping my being energy starved is quite rare..

The curses build I'm playing with is: parasitic bond, spiteful spirit, reckless haste, price of failure, envenom enchantment, signet of lost souls. +2 free picks. Does a decent job of taking pressure off healers and softening bosses. I normally also throw in scourge healing but in this mission maybe cracked armour would be better.

But I'm pretty sure that I did this mission with a Dark Aura build.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Anywhere I can pick this up on sale? I'm drawn to the Monk but scared since its completely different than what I think of when I hear "monk."

Victrix

*beard*
Kintaro said:
Anywhere I can pick this up on sale? I'm drawn to the Monk but scared since its completely different than what I think of when I hear "monk."

You can get the triple pack anywhere for $30, I haven't searched for any sales though.

Monk is amazing. I don't like healers in any game ever, but Monks in this are absurdly strong, you can literally become immortal with proper skill usage.

But since Hero AI is so good, I'd rather have healing duties passed off on the AI, who never complains, goes afk, or rage quits :p

Anilusion said:
So I've got all GW games, is there any guide on how to unlock everything that unlocks stuff in GW2?

Several, sorry I've been lazy about updating the OP with Hall of Monuments info. Try these:

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/comprehensive-hall-monuments-guide-t10454341.html

http://www.guildwiki.org/Hall_of_monuments

Fishious

Anilusion said:
So I've got all GW games, is there any guide on how to unlock everything that unlocks stuff in GW2?

Victrix posted some good info, but I'm going to take a step back and explain the Hall of Monuments for the sake of newer players who may be confused about the concept.

What is the Hall of Monuments
The Hall of Monuments is an instance inside the Eye of the North outpost (and thus requires the EoTN expansion to access) that allows the player to display certain items, titles, and heroes. The hall is divided into 5 sections which each accept specific things and upon your first visit you won't be able to use most of these areas. By completing parts of the EoTN storyline you will be rewarded with monumental tapestries which allow you to place and view things in each section. Each character on an account has a separate hall, but most progress for the purpose of GW2 rewards is tracked account wide and there is an account view mode offered by one of the NPCs in the hall.

How do I get stuff in Guild Wars 2?
Each item, titile, or companion that you add to a monument works toward getting you points which unlock items with special skins in GW2. Go here to view your current score and see what you need to add to get more points. Typically the first item added to a monument grant 1 point and additional points are available for certain specific items. After that, points are awarded at certain milestones and the milestones tend to get farther and farther apart as you go. Points come fast in the beginning, but slow as you go. See Victrix's post for some advice on actually getting the items and titles to dedicate.

What do I actually get for this?
You get specially skinned items, ranger pets, mini pets, and titles available only to players through the Hall of Monuments. You can see the concept art of all of them in the link in the last section. Each item unlocks at a preset score (so no, you don't get to pick and choose). Only the first 30 points grant tangible items while the remaining 20 after that grant a title for every five points. According to what I've read a player in GW2 can create as many of each Hall of Monument item that they want, though they can't be traded. There will also be a way to transfer one item's stats to a hall of monument reward item (much like with transmutation stones), though last I heard they hadn't decided on the exact implementation.

So I hope that helps. If anything I posted is erroneous, please tell me and I'll correct it. I can't remember exactly where I read/ heard the stuff in the last paragraph, but I'll see if I can find it in case someone wants verification.

BrettWeir

Victrix said:
ctrl+spacebar or ctrl+skill to mark a target, your AI companions will attack that target immediately

Are you trying to make it harder intentionally? If not, fill out the rest of your party and look up any number of builds on http://www.gwpvx.com/PvX_wiki

Thanks Victrix. I need to get some signet of captures and start hunting.

I've had this game for ages, all the expansions and such. Only played a Rt/Nec up to lvl 20 but it didn't really pull me in.
And as I need my RPG fix I decided to give it another go :)

Any advice on a class (combo) that can get me through the story without difficulties. I know all classes can do it but some must be more fun or proficient at it.
I also don't plan on PvP-ing a whole lot so that shouldn't be a thing to worry about.

Basically give me a wrecking machine :p

Rapstah

Crap, it's so weird that it was in 2005 that I played this for hundreds of hours... very long ago now. I remember the Temple of Time content patch, that was pretty cool at the time. Monk/warrior at heart still, and I picked the combination before 65 health monks existed. I never was one either.

So I'm a level 5 Ranger in the Prophecies campaign, and I need to choose a secondary profession, but I don't have any idea what I should go with. Suggestions? Anything to specifically avoid?

Top Bottom