• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shows that you binged watched, but didn't feel worth it on hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
We've all binge watched one show on Netflix or BluRay in some form or another for a variety of reasons - whether legit getting hooked or trying to catch up with other people. However, one thing I'm wondering for anybody else: has there ever been a time were you committed yourself to a long grind, but didn't feel like it was worth doing so in the end?

For me, it was Doctor Who - the newer ones of course. A couple of years ago I binged on Eccleston's run all the way to the end of Matt Smith's. The reasons I kept going generally involves the fact that there was always something new every corner and that it was fascinating to watch the character of The Doctor given who he is and how he evolved.

However, by the time I got caught up in time for Capaldi's run, I just suddenly dropped the show altogether. For me, although there were some pretty great things for a sci-fi show of its kind, it's very nature and universe felt very inconsequential and this is especially since the older series were canon. That and it did start to feel redundant tonally despite being refreshing in terms of content. And even that started to feel a little bit recycled towards the end of my watch. In effect, all that time sunk into the show just seems silly now.

So that's my story. Anyone else?

Sotha_Sil

The Following. I'm still not sure why I watched two seasons. Maybe I just wanted to see how many crazies Kevin Bacon would kill by the end of it.

Richie

Whenever I binge watch a show it's one that's already gotten lots of praise from friends and overall critics...and I'm usually very very LTTP, so that praise holds more weight, on account of being there after the dust has settled. So far it's worked out for me, Rick and Morty, Bojack Horseman, Archer, Trailer Park Boys, all have proven their worth. Next on the list is Madoka Magica, Community and Arrested Development.

I did once advise my brothers not to watch Dexter past season 4. They did. To the bitter end.
They listen to whatever I tell them nowadays.

brawly

House of Cards S2. First one was alright but this one I just switched off my brain and still watched it for some reason.

Arrow S3. Bad. Really bad.

Arrested Development S4. Upon rewatching the previous three seasons I was already pretty gassed but this one is pretty bad.

SJRB

Gold Member
Daredevil (S1 and S2) and House of Cards s3.

Just started season 3 of House of Cards just yesterday after binging the masterful season 2. I take it 3 is a disappointment?

Only watched two episodes, but not sure if I'm feeling the drastic shift of tone.

Ontopic: Jessica Jones. Waste of time, mediocre in almost every way.

Arrow, two great seasons to start retroactively ruined by Uncle Guggie listening to the idiot Olicity shippers on Twitter and turning Arrow into Felicity and a Friends with special guest Stephen Amell as Green Arrow.

Lost. Just skipped to the end and said, "I bet this show doesn't do much does it." I guess it's just one of those shows that has a good first season and falls over after.

Jessica Jones. Everything else I binge watched have been some of my favorite shows down the line such as twin peaks, wire and fnl. But man I just did not like Jessica Jones. After like 2 promising episodes it just falls off a cliff. Acting, writing, everything.

Edit: Actually that's not true. I forgot I binged the first 3 seasons of person of interest. That was pretty fun. But then when I watched season 4 live i got pretty bored of the arc and just the show in general and quit the series.

Brakke

Banned
I watched Daredevil S1 over a weekend. It like... gestured at being good but wasn't actually good. Really dragged in the middle, ultimately just a stock standard superhero story. I also watched a ton of Jane The Virgin after a friend recommended it. In hindsight I wish I had only watched the Rogelio parts. It's sweet and good but basically trite.

Joni

True Blood. Should have put a pallette cleanser in there instead of doing seven seasons straight. I knew what I was getting into when I binged Prison BReak and Heroes, they just were as bad as I remembered.

The Man in the High Castle

Good looking show, but there was something about Juliana where I just didn't like her. I liked the premise but I got bored in a lot of places.

And yeah I binged HIMYM on Netflix two years back and the last few seasons weren't good.

kavanf1

Sons of Anarchy the thread.

I struggled through the first few seasons of SOA (especially the terrible Northern Ireland stuff), but I felt it got better as the seasons went on and the character development improved.

Loxley

I just marathoned my way through the first two seasons of Justified, and while I haven't regretted doing so yet, I haven't been "wow'd" yet either. The writing is sharp and the performances are on-point, but it hasn't been anything mind-blowing. I decided to take a break before continuing on with it.

SMG

Community, also ran Arrested development wannabe that uses being metatextual as an excuse for not being great.

.JayZii

Banned
I waited and watched all of Lost on Netflix streaming in the month or so before the final season started.

Joke was on me.

HIMYM, at one point this would've been one of my fav sitcoms ever as I binged 1-8 with friends for 2 weeks. Then the ending happened in season 9......wish I hadn't been so invested.

erawsd

Probably true blood. God that was trash.

Same. I was watching it then stopped for years because it got so dumb. Then when I heard it was ending I decided to binge watch everything i missed. Even now I cant explain why I kept hitting play to watch the next video, some weird obligation to finish what I started maybe.

Airola

True Detective S1

Should've know after the first episode that it's not going to get any better.
To be fair though, I loved the final scene of the season. And there was one point in episode 5 where I thought it finally gets some steam.

But most of it was me having to force myself to endure it. All because everyone told it's the best thing ever and I wanted to believe it.

This was before the second season aired. Ended up watching that one too, but it was a much more tolerable experience.

EDIT:
I guess S2 wasn't worth it either, even if it was more tolerable.

Zakalwe

Banned
Power Season 1-2.
Person of Interest Season 1-2, then 3.
Homeland Season 4

I can't say I really enjoyed any of these, I mean there were aspects of each show I appreciated, but overall there was more I disliked than enjoyed. Sometimes after a big project or period of study I need a few days to let my brain go into neutral mode, and these were on Netflix within easy reach.

milanbaros

Member?
True Detective S1

Should've know after the first episode that it's not going to get any better.
To be fair though, I loved the final scene of the season. And there was one point in episode 5 where I thought it finally gets some steam.

But most of it was me having to force myself to endure it. All because everyone told it's the best thing ever and I wanted to believe it.

This was before the second season aired. Ended up watching that one too, but it was a much more tolerable experience.

EDIT:
I guess S2 wasn't worth it either, even if it was more tolerable.

Oh dear. This post is going to be rather controversial.

Malcolm9

Hannibal.

I enjoyed the first season but it slowly got on my nerves in the second season.

Falling Skies.

Started off ok but it went off on a tangent and the story took a massive nose dive, the ending was pure rushed crap as well.

Chuckl3s

Sons of Anarchy. Went all the way to final season with only maybe 4 or 5 episodes left. Didn't finish it and I regret starting the last season. It didn't help that I read about the rest of the episodes so I know how it ends and I was disappointed.

House of Cards kinda lost me after Season 3, I also tried watching Lost but that show is garbage.

Louie, even though most of it was pretty good, it wasn't as incredible as everyone made it out to be.

EDIT: Bob's Burgers, it was only mildly funny.

JC Lately

Smallville. We were moving at the time wound up with a dead zone between when the Internet (and thus all our TV streaming options) would be cut off at our old place and turned on at our new place. Found the first 5 seasons on DVD for a ridiculously good price at a Sam's, so I thought it would fill the void.

Well, it did, in the sense that eating packaging peanuts would fill your stomach if you're starving. But there is no nutrition to be found there. Only pain.

Hissing Sid

Falling Skies.

Not quite bad enough to risk wrestling the remote from the wife's hands.

Not good enough to warrant more than an occasional glance at the telly whilst browsing the net.

I'm especially gonna miss the parts where the actors are sneaking up on an enemy at night.

Dark clothing? Check.
Hand signals? Check.
Crouching? Check.
Silent movement? Check.
Whispering? Check.
1000000 lumens searchlights strapped to each weapon lighting up the area like New Year's Eve thereby providing an excellent early warning to the enemy that some dick-heads are sneaking up on their position? Check! Er.

So tactical.

A waste of my precious, precious life.

FairyD

All of them?

Don't get me wrong, I love watching shows and movies, but sometimes I feel like I'm just playing a never ending game of WoW where I'm just pumping in hours and hours into television and generally staring at a screen digesting entertaining programs.

I have to sometimes sit back and ask, when will I be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom